Menu

Please help us with this disagreement

What do YOU call SUV's?  

1. 1. What do YOU call SUV's?

• Truck
    • SUV
    • other- please tell us what the other is :)

We just bought a Dodge Durango Monday and I call it something. Dd feels she has to correct me every single time and call it something else. Dh just laughs at us both and calls it my Momster Truck :D He wants me to get a license plate that says that :lol: so poll to come.. what do YOU call SUV's when talking to somebody about them?

Do you call it a truck? I know lots of people who refer to SUVs as trucks, and if your daughter is saying, "but it's NOT a truck" then I am with her. Mainly because people say "my truck" and I think of an actual truck, so it throws me off.

It's definitely the sort of thing I would nitpick my mom about, though!!! :D

eta I've never had an SUV. We usually call it by the manufacturer. The Buick, the Hyundai, whatever.

It really depends on the SUV. For a Durango, I'd call it a truck, just like I'd call a Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, and Expedition a truck. Now, I have a Honda Pilot. I call it a car/SUV. It isn't a beefy as the more trucky SUVs, but it's still an SUV.

I voted other.

If the manufacturer calls it a Sports Utility Vehicle, then that's what it is--not a truck, not a minivan, not a whatever.

However, your dd may not correct you, even though it pains her (it would pain me if you called it a truck and it isn't, lol). Just sayin'...

ETA: I could be content with calling it "the car." :-)

We just bought a Dodge Durango Monday and I call it something. Dd feels she has to correct me every single time and call it something else. Dh just laughs at us both and calls it my Momster Truck :D He wants me to get a license plate that says that :lol: so poll to come.. what do YOU call SUV's when talking to somebody about them?

I personally like Momster Truck. I had a Suburban before I started driving the "Living Room." 99% of the time I'm sure I said get in the car kids.

It's just more efficient than get in the black, four-wheel-drive, 1998 Chevrolet Suburban with tinted windows that seats 8, kids.:001_smile:

Minivan camouflage. A station wagon with bigger wheels.

LOL! The friend I mentioned with the Sequoia actually traded in her Toyota minivan for the Sequoia because she didn't want to look like a soccer mom. Really?! That thing is larger than my minivan and it seats 8. And she has 6 kids. The only thing she is hauling is groceries, and she cried when it got a tiny scratch on it. A truck, it is not! :lol:

I vote SUV.

Next question what do you call a crossover? Like my Buick Rendezvous? I don't go around calling it 'the crossover'. I mean good grief.

I think I call it my car. The boys all call it 'the black car.' I've yet to correct anyone that it isn't REALLY a car. :glare:

Every vehicle I own is a "car." The kids get SO irritated with me when I say, "Go get in the car," and the car is in the driveway and I meant the van in the garage. Clearly their psychic abilities are lacking :)

(For a while, my mom owned a green Toyota 4Runner. She named it Yoda.)

You got me :blush: :001_tt2: That is almost exactly how it does :D

I agree with your dd, but you totally need to get the Momster Truck license plate---or better yet, get a bumper sticker made. I'm assuming that wouldn't be high on her list of stickers for the Durango and it might just embarrass her a bit, which she could use since she corrects you every time :lol:....

Minivan camouflage. A station wagon with bigger wheels.

:iagree:

I drive a Chevy Traverse. Dh calls it a truck, but I just refer to it as "the car". Drives everyone else crazy. :D

It's technically an SUV according to my registration. Chevrolet calls it a "crossover SUV". It's a station wagon--a car!

I voted other. Both my father and BIL have SUVs. We tend to still call them "cars" as in, "Can I ride in Grampa's car?" "Is your brother taking his car?"

I guess we use the word "car" to mean "vehicle" in our family. No, they aren't trucks, but somehow referring to them on a regular basis as SUVs would be akin to calling Kleenex "facial tissue", and toilet paper "bathroom tissue". Yes, that's what they are, but nobody (at least not that I know) call them that in daily conversation.

The men in the family, though, while still not using the term SUV to describe their vehicles, typically call them by their model name. "Let's take the Cherokee" or "Who wants to ride in the Pilot?"

So, I guess I'm voting for either car or Durango ;).

Car. They're all cars to me.

I had a friendly disagreement with DH about this a few years ago. To me, "car" covers everything that is in the "vehicle" or "automobile" department. Perhaps it's actually an acronym for something, but I don't think so. Of course, those categories can be broken down to truck, SUV, van, sedan, sports car, etc., but I usually don't bother to go that far.

DH can tell vehicles apart by their headlights while driving down the highway at night. I only differentiate by color, and maybe size. Him: that's a 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan; Me: that's a big black car.

I have an expedition and we call it the Truck or the Beast.

I don't agree with those that say only pick ups are trucks because like the other poster back in the 70's and 80's my mom owned both a Chevy Blazer and a Ford Bronco, neither were labeled SUVs or Cars by the DMV, they were trucks. My Expedition is just as big as those were so it's a truck. I didn't hear the term SUV until the smaller ones came out in the 90's

I refer to all vehicles as "the car" (including all of the minivans that we have owned). If there was a need to be more specific I would call it an SUV. If this was just a fun loving ribbing between the two of you then I would continue your current course just to aggravate. :tongue_smilie: If she was being smart mouthed, I would inform her that it does matter if I call it a cow :D, she should refrain from correcting me. :glare:

Now days I would call it....

Gas Hog or Money Hog is more like it. :lol::lol:

I had two Durangos (leased on for 3 years and then bought another one for 7 years and had it paid off too) and loved them!!!!! But Dh insisted on us getting a Minivan (Chrysler Town and Country) in 2009.

Considering we have already put 58,000 miles on the van... with gas prices... he was probably right (but don't tell him that!!!!!!:tongue_smilie:) .

Edited by AnitaMcC

My husband's family owns a trucking business, so nothing other than semi's are referred to as trucks (God forbid!!!:lol:) My parents have a Durango, they call it the Durango, I have an Expedition, I call it my car, my husband has pickup ( again we don't DARE call it a truck!!:001_rolleyes::eek:)

It really depends on the SUV. For a Durango, I'd call it a truck, just like I'd call a Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, and Expedition a truck. Now, I have a Honda Pilot. I call it a car/SUV. It isn't a beefy as the more trucky SUVs, but it's still an SUV.

I voted other.

:iagree: I would never refer to any specific vehicle as an "SUV." It's either a car or a truck.