Menu

Prayer Request Urgent

My friend Sandy is at this moment taking her daughter Caitlin to the hospital. Caitlin, five-years-old, has a platelet count of 4. The doctors have told Sandy that is life-threatening. Please lift them both up. Sandy's husband, Gary as well.

I'll post as soon as I get an update.

God bless you guys. You always pull through.

:grouphug:

Update (page three)

Update to the update (two posts later)

Update top of page five

Update bottom of page five

Edited by lionfamily1999

Prayers here. When my third child was born, she had a platelet count of 10ish I think I remember. Very not good. But they immediately got her a platelet transfusion and she has not had any further problems. Here's hoping they get Caitlin taken care of quickly and she doesn't have any bleeding problems.

A normal platelet count is over 150,000. A platelet count under 10(,000) requires medical intervention. They'll probably do IVIg (intravenous immunoglobulin) or maybe a transfusion. It sounds like ITP. It's a good thing they figured it out - hope she's ok!!

My ds8's platelets have been as low as 11(,000), but he tends to hover in the 50-80(,000) range. He had IVIg prior to spinal cord surgery, which worked to bring his count up to normal, but that was extremely expensive and time-consuming. DS8 has congenital thrombocytopenia (though for a long time they thought it was ITP), and we recently had luck with a high dose of fish oil bringing his count up to normal for the first time in a few years.

Edited by wapiti

My friend Sandy is at this moment taking her daughter Caitlin to the hospital. Caitlin, five-years-old, has a platelet count of 4. The doctors have told Sandy that is life-threatening. Please lift them both up. Sandy's husband, Gary as well.

I'll post as soon as I get an update.

God bless you guys. You always pull through.

:grouphug: praying

Praying for Caitlin, her family and the people taking care of her!

God, please guide their minds and hands so they know what to do and do it well to help little Caitlin! Be with Caitlin, give her courage and strength! Be with Caitlin's family. Give them comfort and the peace you promised in John 14:27! We thank you for Your promises of peace and healing and claim those promises for Caitlin right now Lord!

At 6:30 (about two hours ago) they were waiting on the doctor, but they had already gotten Caitlin and Sandy into a room. She's at a Children's Hospital and that in and of itself was very comforting (apparently they're really set up for comfort/family/kids). I'm waiting to hear what the doctor said.

Caitlin had problems with her platelet count up until she turned five (a few months ago). I didn't really understand Sandy when she explained it, and she's never told me the medical name for it, but it's rare but with care not considered deadly and normally stops when children are five. That it's popped up again, after months of being clear, is pretty scary.

ETA...

immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) thank goodness for the internet

A normal platelet count is over 150,000. A platelet count under 10(,000) requires medical intervention. They'll probably do IVIg (intravenous immunoglobulin) or maybe a transfusion. It sounds like ITP. It's a good thing they figured it out - hope she's ok!!

My ds8's platelets have been as low as 11(,000), but he tends to hover in the 50-80(,000) range. He had IVIg prior to spinal cord surgery, which worked to bring his count up to normal, but that was extremely expensive and time-consuming. DS8 has congenital thrombocytopenia (though for a long time they thought it was ITP), and we recently had luck with a high dose of fish oil bringing his count up to normal for the first time in a few years.

Thank you. I feel like the world's worst friend for not understanding this stuff, I appreciate the information. I'll mention the fish oil once things settle down.

------------------------------------------

To you three beautiful pages of responders, God bless you. Thank you so much for taking time out to pray for my friend and her daughter.

Edited by lionfamily1999

"They just got the IV in her and gave her three different medicines to help keep her from having a reaction and to keep her from getting a fever when they give her the WinRho that they are going to give her (they haven't brought that up yet). She is a trooper, she didn't fight them when they put the IV in, but she is getting more aggrivated that she can't put her makeup on without help..."

Sandy sends her thanks!

Edited by lionfamily1999

Thank you all, no new news except that they're trying to get some sleep.

Take care and I'll post as soon as I get another update.

G'night!

I will pray!!!! Definitely.

Thanks for the updates. This board has some wonderful prayer warriors. I'm on the receiving end of some of those prayers right now (after I asked for a friend!). People here are WONDERFUL!!!

:iagree:

My 19yo dd had ITP for five years. It came on when she was in 3rd grade and went away sometime during 8th grade sometimes she would dip very low (below 8(000) ). It was stressful and frightening for the entire family. After being clear of ITP for a couple years, she was diagnosed with gluten intolerance (another auto immune issue). I wonder sometimes if there will be more surprises.

I was interested in your post I hadn't realized there were congenital cases. I'm glad you are finding something that helps.

I will pray for your ds as well as the little one in the OP.

My 19yo dd had ITP for five years. It came on when she was in 3rd grade and went away sometime during 8th grade sometimes she would dip very low (below 8(000) ). It was stressful and frightening for the entire family. After being clear of ITP for a couple years, she was diagnosed with gluten intolerance (another auto immune issue). I wonder sometimes if there will be more surprises.

I was interested in your post I hadn't realized there were congenital cases. I'm glad you are finding something that helps.

I will pray for your ds as well as the little one in the OP.

That's interesting about your dd. It is some sort of wacky immune problem. Originally they told me that ITP should be temporary, lasting 6 months or less, and that it's rare for ITP to last for years. However, I don't know if they ever officially changed his diagnosis to CTP. The hematologist seemed like she didn't want to come out and say it. CTP can be associated with scary things sometimes (e.g., leukemia). I can't believe the fish oil is working - keeping fingers crossed that it continues to do so - last fall before we started the fish oil, he was back down to his usual amount, somewhere around 70. But two to three months after starting the fish oil, he had his annual checkup with hematology and he was up to 250! Shocking, really. The hematologist couldn't explain it, and wasn't familiar with any literature on fish oil. I don't even remember where I saw it, but it makes sense - I was really giving it to him for other reasons (he has a speech delay, etc.). I read someplace that the fish oil helps the platelets live longer, which would fit right into the theory that the immune system goes berserk and destroys them - fish oil supposedly helps the immune system to behave more normally. There's the other issue that fish oil "thins" the blood, but I don't know the supposed mechanism for that, and for ds a normal platelet count is good enough for me. (FWIW, he takes a fairly hefty dose - adult).

I was just thinking about gluten today for unrelated reasons. I really, really don't want to have to go there, in my house of very picky eaters... Good luck to your grown dd on the gluten angle.

Sandy is back to waiting on a doctor this morning. Once the doctor gets there they'll check Caitlin's platelet count again.

On a side note, Sandy's nephew was diagnosed, this morning, with Aspbergers.

ETA, the doctor just left. They have to wait 12 hours to check her platelet count, then they'll know if the treatment worked (and they can go home) or not (and they'll spend another night.

Sandy sends her thanks again.

Edited by lionfamily1999

Thank you. I feel like the world's worst friend for not understanding this stuff, I appreciate the information. I'll mention the fish oil once things settle down.

As mentioned in another comment, increased bleeding is a more common side effect of fish oil, so that's not something to try casually.

Doesn't mean it isn't worth a try, but it should be closely supervised.

They finally got to go home late last night. This morning Caitlin was having a response to the treatment (lots of vomiting and a head ache) :(

They're letting her stay home for now and treating the vomiting with a perscription, the head ache with tylenol.

Thanks for your prayers again, :grouphug: