• 4-6
    • 7-9
    • 10-12
    • 13-15
    • 16-18
    • 19+
    • Other of course!

How many subjects do you do?

All things are counted as subjects. Like dictation. I count it as a subject because it isn't always covered in whatever lesson we are doing. Comprehension is another I count. I combine it with a lot of other subjects but still keep it a separate check off box so I remember to do it.

*I am a big check list kinda gal*

So, how many? What are they if ya don't mind sharing?

Poll to follow :)

Math

Memory Work

Spelling

Grammar

Penmanship (cursive only, printing in early elementary is done through copywork and dictation)

Writing (this includes dictation, narration, creative writing and/or writing program work)

Vocabulary

Reading (comprehension work- MOSDOS, reading aloud to mom)

Latin

Science

History

Religion/Bible

Art

Music

Typing

Geography

Second Language (currently French)

:svengo: No wonder I question why it's so hard to get everything done. Still trying to figure out how/when we can add in Greek. Ugh.

ETA: Not all the above is done on a daily basis. :)

Edited by plain jane

Bible, History, Science, Geography, Handwriting, Math, WWE, FLL, phonics, music, typing.

It seems like a lot, but a lot of it only takes a few minutes to do in a day, and most aren't done daily. We only take about 2-3hrs a day on school work.

I'm always trimming back. My habit is just one little thing won't hurt. Not very LCC, but I'm working on it.

These count as subjects on my schedule, but I don't really consider them subjects if that makes sense:

Read-alouds (sometimes tied to another subject)

Quiet reading time (has to be scheduled or he won't do it)

Memory work (will tie this into our history studies next year)

These count as subjects:

Latin

Algebra

Writing

Megawords (Technically falls under the English heading, but I separate writing and mechanics)

science

history

philosophy/ethics

So 10 altogether. We don't do these all everyday, except the reading and memory work.

ETA: I forgot Literature, so 11.

Edited by elegantlion

Bible, Math, Grammar, Science, History, Copywork, Hebrew, Reading (Read Alouds for Lit/Comprehension & Silent Reading - I count as one subject).

Those are the basics. Sometimes I throw in additional stuff, like logic or typing but it's not regular.

planned on doing or actually doing:)

this is for my ker fwiw

we have consistently and systematically done

1.phonics (until we finished the book then did some spelling and oral reading)

2.math

3.copywork (started as individual letters, then words, then sentences)

4."quiet time"-audio books and free reading (this is done daily, no exceptions:D)

5.the other stuff-nature study, geography, bible/catechism, literature, p.e., hands on activities, music, art was a hodge podge and neither consistent or well thought out.

so 3 subjects, 4 if you count quiet time or 5 if you can call hodgepodge a subject.

Edited by iona

8th grade

Daily

bible

math

science

composition

2 days each week

language arts

reading

logic

Latin vocabulary

art history/ drawing

health

For a total of 7 classes daily. He got behind in math/science this year so he is doubling up on these subjects. I also wanted to concentrate on his writing which he really dislikes. He will do a more traditional schedule in the fall.

My 11th grader is on a block schedule

Math

Science

Spanish

History/literature/composition combo

He changes up studies every 12-16 weeks. He gets bored easily and has a great memory so this works for him.

For the 8th Grader:

Science

Algebra I

Reading (independent reading/literature study)

History

Vocabulary

Grammar

Writing

Handwriting/Penmanship

Bible

Art

Computers (Professor Teaches Microsoft Office)

For the 5th Grader -

Science

Math 5

Reading/Literature

History

Vocabulary

Grammar

Writing

Handwriting/Penmanship

Bible

Art

Typing

For the Kindergarten Student --

Math

Bible

Learning to Read

Science

History

Story Time (this is actually a shared Read Aloud time for the whole family, and I rotate between age-appropriate for one kid and the next....)

So, 11 (12 if you count story time) for the 5th and 8th grader and 6 for the K'er. Not all subjects are done daily, and we just finished an intensive Portuguese course for the older two. They continue to practice Portuguese, but no more formal lessons so I've dropped it as a subject.

I will likely add "read in Portuguese" to their schedules (all of our schedules) to make sure they maintain literacy in it (they get speaking practice daily just from living here) but it is not a school subject anymore at this point.

I'm not counting memory work as a "subject," because we do it as a part of many of our subjects. Things that we've done regularly this year:

Bible

Geography

Reading (his personal reading, discussing of books he's reading, writing about books he's reading)

Math

Grammar

Vocabulary

Writing

Literature (his reading for his writing through lit class; our read-aloud time and discussion of that, writing about it, poetry study, etc.)

Latin

Greek

Spanish

History

Science

Art (classes as well as art appreciation, drama, etc.)

Music (piano and guitar)

P.E. (including his soccer play year-round and some health studies)

Math

Reading(phonics then switch to reading real books)

Spelling

Grammar

Writing

Science

History

Geography

Bible

Foreign Language (Latin, and some Spanish right now)

Dictation

Copywork/penmanship

Poetry

Art/Artist study

Music/composer study

Narration

Memory work(which is usually bible verses,or poetry)

Typing practice that is in the form of online games

For the third grader this year:

Bible reading

Poetry Reading

(Those two are with breakfast.)

Math

History

Memory Work (currently just Bible verses, would like to add other things too)

Writing (depending on the day, it varies between cursive practice, grammar practice, letter-writing, and poetry composition.)

Foreign Language (alternates daily between French and Latin)

Science

Literature

Bible Study

Free Reading (I include this as schoolwork so that she actually finishes books instead of just starting them.)

Special Something (rotates between religious biography, geography reading, picture study, music study, and a different read aloud literature book)

And somewhere in there, there's art, crafts, nature study, etc. Sigh. I'm planning to keep the same daily routine, just make more time for the projects, next year.

The kindergartener participates in most of that, except that his math, reading, and writing are smaller, and he doesn't do independent Bible study yet. He generally listens to the history, science, literature, and specials, though, and he participates in other projects. He sometimes does some of the foreign language stuff too. I'll probably keep his schedule about the same next year for first grade, except to add more specific math lessons with him, and maybe copywork.

I would love to hear what people think about how much my fourth grader will be expected to do. Maybe I'll start a separate thread.

We have 6 right now:

Algebra

World Geography

Intro to Lit

Logic

Basic Cooking

Basic Construction

We've finished for the year:

Computer Programming

Debate

World History through Warfare

Writing

Government

I try to finish semester courses by Christmas because that's competitive speech and debate season, there's a BJJ tournament, week long Teen Pact. Also, it's easier to end the year strong if the school dwindles towards the end of the year.

I just gave Ds assignments for the last 9 weeks of school. I told him that his school year is done when he completes the work, but that it can't take him longer than 9 weeks. We'll see what he does with it.

Ds7:

Language Arts: Copywork, dictation, writing exercises, light grammar, narrations, picture study (Primary Language Lessons)

Math

Handwriting

History (includes geography)

Science

Ds12:

Language Arts: Grammar, writing

Math

History (includes geography)

Literature

Science

Foreign Language

Band

I voted 10-12, but really...a *number* isn't a fair estimate--I don't do all of those every day. Some are once a week. Some have dropped off the radar for several months (art).

"Reading" is just the kids, you know, READING. :lol:

We've got:

Math

Reading* (which I barely count--although it will be substantial in a couple of months when littles are bigger)

History

Science

Grammar

Writing*

Spelling*

Latin*

"Art"

Some kind of exercise--barely counts. We walk to the park or do the wii or play outside.

Memory work--which I also barely count--we just work on AWANA verses, inconsistently

*I'm not doing ANYTHING for these subjects. At. all--the kids do it on their own.

1. Math (Singapore)

2. Math (supplemental)

3. Reading

4. Writing

5. Language Arts (I count this as one subject):

• Grammar
  • Spelling
  • Vocabulary
  • Copywork and dictation (2nd, 4th) or handwriting (K)
  • Phonics (K'er only)

6. Memory work

7. Science

8. History

9. Japanese

10. Nature Study

11. Art

12. Building and construction unit study

13. Music appreciation (all)

14. Logic

15. Piano (4th grader only)

15 without separating all of the language subjects; 19 if I do. That's not counting outside activities like choir or karate.

It looks like a lot more than it is. Memory work might overlap science, art or history, for example. Or we will have a couple weeks of Japanese art and music or history-related art or construction lessons. Also, we don't do every subject every day. For example, we do logic lessons on Tuesdays, art on Wednesdays, music appreciation on Thursdays. Science is a Tu/Th afternoon block; History, MW.

Cat

Math

Read-Aloud

Reader

Spelling

Writing

Grammar

History

Science

Latin (when I get to it)

Time4Learning LA

Every time I try to add something else (phonics, vocabulary, a math supplement) it's too much - probably because nearly all of his subjects are teacher intensive. I can only have so many irons in the fire.

Math (math, logic)

Languages (Latin, Greek, Hebrew)

English (grammar, composition, rhetoric, vocabulary)

Great Books (history, literature, religion, philosophy)

Science

Music

So, we could have either six or fifteen subjects. I prefer six. ;)

This year, my 6th grader has done:

1) Grammar & Composition (Rod & Staff)

2) Math (BJU)

3) Science (Beautiful Feet History of Science, tweaked to my satisfaction)

4) History (SOTW, tweaked to my satisfaction)

5) Reading (started off with Heart of Dakota, then switched to BJU)

6) Handwriting

My 10th grader has done:

1) Latin (Latin Prep 2 + additional work from Ecce Romanim guided by the NLE syllabus)

2) Chemistry (Apologia)

3) Geometry & Algebra 2, alternately (Teaching Textbooks)

4) TRISMS Expansion of Civilization (incorporates medieval history, geography, history of music/art/architecture, literature & composition)

Math

Speed math drills

Spelling

Grammar

Vocabulary

Writing

History

Science

Geography

Literature (required reading and lit study)

We must add in Spanish at the end of this year or during the summer. We did Latin for a few years lightly and now we are just using Vocab from Classical Roots for SAT practice/Latin maintenance.

I voted 6.

I count English as one subject. That includes Spelling, Grammar and Writing, and Literature.

Then, there is Math, History, Science, Latin, and Fine Arts (music and art appreciation).

ETA: I voted wrong. I forgot to count French, but that isn't really a separate subject. We are a bilingual family and we speak French. Sometimes ds will do an assignment in French if he feels like it.

ETA, again: To be fair, I should say that dh and ds are bilingual. I just speak some French in a really obvious crappy American accent, and I can read and write it fluently.

Edited by Audrey

5th grade- Latin, math, reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary, spelling, science, history.

2nd grade the same minus the latin. We did Minimus earlier in the year and finished that up. I want him to be a bit better at reading before starting Latin for Children A this fall.

Math

Memory Work

Spelling

Grammar

Penmanship (cursive only, printing in early elementary is done through copywork and dictation)

Writing (this includes dictation, narration, creative writing and/or writing program work)

Vocabulary

Reading (comprehension work- MOSDOS, reading aloud to mom)

Latin

Science

History

Religion/Bible

Art

Music

Typing

Geography

Second Language (currently French)

:svengo: No wonder I question why it's so hard to get everything done. Still trying to figure out how/when we can add in Greek. Ugh.

ETA: Not all the above is done on a daily basis. :)

NO KIDDING!!

and we have 4-H too.......

phonics or literature depending on age

writing

grammar

poetry

vocabulary

latin

science

history

geography

math

logic

spelling

Penmanship gets included in other subjects.

Music, gym, and art are taken weekly outside the home.

Picture study, composer study, and spanish are done at a co-op that meets irregularly. Next year I will be adding picture study at home.

For the poll I'm only going to count the subjects that are currently done at home - so 13? Really, though, that's how many subjects one child might do (fewer for the youngers). *I* have to do each subject with each child. I've tried combining them, but they each learn so differently that it didn't work out. Also, we do more than one thing for many subjects. For example, for writing, the older is doing WWE and MCT. My middle child is doing WWE and Writeshop Primary.

On the other hand, not everything gets done everyday.

I chose 7 but my subjects include sub-subjects; if you counted it all separately, it would be 15.

Language Arts: spelling, grammar, poetry, literature, writing

Math

History

Science: this year includes zoology, chemistry, and physics

Foreign Language

Art: drawing and multi-media art projects

PE: swimming for DD, swimming and taekwondo for DS

My daughter typically did more subjects per year. My son is extremely busy with outside activities and not especially interested in schoolwork.

I also group more things together than it looks like you do.

I voted 7-9, because this year my son's subjects include:

- History

- Math

- Science

- Language Arts

- Art History / Appreciation

- Keyboarding

- Music History / Appreciation

- Choir / Vocal Performance

Next year, I'm planning for:

- History

- Math

- Science

- Literature & Composition

- Geography

- Spanish

- World Religions

- Logic

- Choir / Vocal Performance

My twins are in 10th grade. We have had some issues with Ds so we scaled back his courses big time. Next year he will be doing public cyber school (hopefully he will have completed enough credits to start 11th grade by then). Dd will continue homeschooling as we have been for high school and plans to graduate next year at end of 11th grade.

Ds is sort of doing a block schedule right now. Ds is doing 5 courses:

-Essay composition and research writing

-World History II

-Chemistry

-Reviewed algebra/geometry and started on precalculus.

-Physical education

Once he is done with the above he will go on and do:

-Science fiction literature

-Consumer Education/Economics

-U.S. Government

-Geology

Dd is doing 9 courses:

-Honors Essay composition and research writing

-Themed Literature (poetry 1st semester, world lit 2nd semester)

-Finished Algebra 2 and now on geometry.

-Integrated Science

-Honors World History II

-Music Theory/fundamentals

-Music Appreciation/history

-Music Application

-Physical Education

Edited by AnitaMcC

Skills:

Math

Spelling

Reading

Copywork/Narration/Grammar (Counting this as 1 subject...Writing)

Things we cover in read alouds, play, real life, or in a delight-led manner:

Literature

History

Science

Music (This will be moved to skill status soon...still delight-led now.)

Everything else...

We cover these, although my oldest doesn't do spelling.

Bible, history, science, math, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, reading comprehension, writing, critical thinking/logic, music, and art

Music and art are the least covered and have been done through an enrichment co-op this year, not here at home.

These are the subjects we do

Kindergartener

Phonics

Math

3rd grade dd (struggling reader

Phonics

grammar

spelling

penmanship

math

history

science

art

6th grade ds

grammar

writing

spelling

penmanship

math

history

science

art

Some are daily, some 4x a week, some 3x a week, some 2x a week, some once a week if we actually get to it.

Guest mrsajoy

Let's see

Bible

Writing/narration

History

Science

Handwriting

Copywork/grammar

Language Art

Spelling

Reading

Geography

Art

Music

Literature

Character Building

That seems like a lot, but a lot of the subjects run together. We don't have formal lessons for most of these, but since I am a type A personality with an unschooling/relaxed schooling education philosohpy, it helps me to break down our life into subjects, so I can have mental check off lists:) (man that was a long sentence:) )

Edited by mrsajoy