Menu

Admittedly not the biggest problem, but thin people please share. . .

About 5 years ago I took off 48 lbs. and have diligently kept them off. Maintenance isn't easy, blah, blah, blah.

Here's my question: for the earlier part of my life I was chunky and often got snotty comments that hurt my feelings. One woman I met for lunch actually greeted me with, "you've gained weight!" Another told me, "so and so said that you'd be so pretty if you lost some weight."

I cannot imagine saying such lame things to people.

Anyway, for the last 5 years I've been between 136 to 140 and I'm 5'7. Hardly anorexic.

Why, then, do I constantly hear, "oh, you're so thin. Are you naturally that way??" Um, no. Recently I told someone that I'm tired a lot and she said, "well, you're so thin, maybe you're not eating enough." (She wasn't being mean; she was honestly trying to be helpful.)

Hey, she might be right -- whatever -- but really, do other thin people get constant comments about their weight??

Last summer a new friend I'd met in the summer (always bundled up in coats, I guess) really gave me the head-to-toe look when she saw me in shorts. I guess she hadn't realized my size when I was always in sweaters or coats.

I don't know what I'm asking except do you always get comments about your body size??

I'm not kidding: I hear this sort of thing often. And I don't enjoy it. I get very uncomfortable.

Alley

I usually just ignore them. I'm actually about 10 pounds heavier now than I was in my twenties (I'm 5'5'' and weigh about 125). I have to work to maintain my weight as well.

I just think when women hit middle age a bit of weight gain is expected. Those of us that don't gain or don't gain much are a bit of an anomaly and others feel free to comment on it.

Alley,

I've been on both sides of the fence too. I have been ill several times in my life. When I'm ill and barely functioning, my weight is low and EVERYONE but my husband and my best of friends tell me how good I look since I've lost weight. I am not and have never been obese, but I have some junk in my trunk and a top to match.;) I had two surgeries last year and have gained 15 lbs since. It is a joy to be healthy and able to eat and I must admit I have enjoyed myself.:lol: I've decided to tell people who comment on my weight gain that I was deathly ill, had two surgeries and I'm sorry that our society has such a skewed idea of what a healthy woman should look like because I'm thankful to be healthy and enjoying life.

As for you, you feel free to tell people you're sorry they're so jealous, and would they like some tips on how you keep the weight off? OK, that's catty, but really, that's what they are, right?:lol:

Good for you keeping the weight off! People need to mind their own business.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Ignore them. Totally ignore them. Water off a duck's back.

I guess since I'm relatively new at this "thin thing" (just five years) that I often wonder, "what is wrong with me?? Why do I get comments whether I'm fluffy or thin??"

That's why I'm asking: do all thin women get these comments?

Alley

I'm not even that thin anymore, but I think it's almost unusual for a woman in her 40s to be slender.

I get comments a lot. When I had fertility problems, I got a lot of really unkind comments about it being because I was thin. Like all the women in Japan and Korea, who take slenderness for granted, can't have babies. That's why there aren't any Japanese children, right?

Anyway, women are just flat focused on weight. It's very interesting.

Yep, people comment.

I am 5'8"

20yo....At 112lbs, it was "you're too skinny, don't you eat. I could snap your arm with my fingers. Are you anorexic?"

30yo.....At 120 it was "you're too skinny, don't you eat....."

35yo.....At 130 it was "you're too skinny. Do you work out? You should eat more"

40yo.....At 135 I STILL GET "you're so skinny. How do you do it?"

Well my poochy tummy is hidden by my jacket, that is how I do it LOL

My point, I have always been considered thin. There have been times when I watched what I ate to nudge a few pounds off, but then if people find out, I am berated for it. I try to tell them that I would rather take off 5 lbs today than 30 in a year, but they don't get it.

I think that people are more comfortable commenting to thin people. They don't get that asking if someone is Anorexic is rude. The same people wouldn't ask someone who is heavier "do you have a diagnosed eating disorder?" :glare:

Over the years, I have come to realize that some topics are so common in some families, that they don't realize that some people may think it is a private topic. I liken it to friends who think nothing of telling all the private details of their sex life, menstrual habits, bm schedule, or those who will drop trou in front of anyone who is female. I was raised in a very private family, so my sensors are set a little higher than others. I try to remember that for this person, this is a dinner table conversation, complete with details. For me to mention something so private to another human, I would have to be deeply concerned.

The worst was when this gaggle of women one time came over to me in the gym while I was minding my own business on the Stairmaster (listening to music through headphones and flipping through a magazine) and start heckling me. At first, I tried to joke it off by answering the snarky question "do you eat?" with "my DH wouldn't complain so much about the grocery bill if I didn't" and so on. But finally I got mad at them and told the ringleader that she was using the StairMaster incorrectly (she was) and that she'd never lose her fat @$$ if she spent more energy picking on strangers than on her workout. :lol:

Fort collins short sal e, fort collins foreclosures.

Millions of homeowners are facing this same, tough, situation. Our goal is to empower Fort Collins homeowners through the short sale process by providing short sale assistance in the form of free information, short sale and real estate services, support and peace of mind. Since 2007, we have helped over 115 people prepare and strategically navigate through the short sale process intelligently and efficiently.

http://www.fort-collins-short-sale.com/

:spam: Reported.

I'm not so thin anymore, but I used to be. And yes, people made comments about it.

Same here. People have asked if I was anorexic,which struck me as rather cheeky -- sort of makes you want to ask the person if THEY have any deep personal problems they'd like to share with casual acquaintances. A slender friend has commented the same thing, that people seem to think nothing of accosting her with their opinion about her size.

Yes, I get comments on being skinny. Especially, "I can't believe you have three Lo's and are still so skinny!" Some are nice complements. From others, it can seem that I offend them by not being overweight. I think people that are self-conscious or unhappy about the way they look feel attacked/insecure/? from someone that they perceive as thin. I am 140 and 5'9'', thin but not unhealthy.

I don't quiz anyone on their eating habits. And can you imagine a stranger going up to a heavier person and going off on their weight? I'm sure it happens, and that too crosses a personal boundary IMO.

I am. 5'6" and up until I had. My dd in my 30s I weight 105 now I weight 120. It is genetic I don't work at my weight but I have had people watch every bite and heaven forbid if I went to the bathroom soon after a meal I must be vomiting it all out. I wasn't my dd is shaping up to be the same way. Except that kid can pack it away.

I am not thin or even close to my right weight...but I think that no matter what you will never make everyone happy.

Since having dd, I have become much more sensitive to comments and now try to not make comments to others about how they should be doing something different.

I was bad about it with my brother for a long time and have realized that what he does really doesn't impact me except for a few days a year.

Fort collins short sal e, fort collins foreclosures.

Millions of homeowners are facing this same, tough, situation. Our goal is to empower Fort Collins homeowners through the short sale process by providing short sale assistance in the form of free information, short sale and real estate services, support and peace of mind. Since 2007, we have helped over 115 people prepare and strategically navigate through the short sale process intelligently and efficiently.

http://www.fort-collins-short-sale.com/

So now I'm wondering if Ft. Collins is good for heavy people or thin people . . . :confused:

I thought it was just my family. Now that I have an extra 25 lbs since my last LO, my mom has finally stopped making comments. I really think she believes a mom should have extra lbs or she's not healthy.

I can't think of one comment that I've gotten since I'm heavier. I used to get them a lot.

Hey, she might be right -- whatever -- but really, do other thin people get constant comments about their weight??

Yes. And in my experience (skinny all my life) they are more frequent and more blunt, or just plain nasty than those to larger people.

My point, I have always been considered thin. There have been times when I watched what I ate to nudge a few pounds off, but then if people find out, I am berated for it. I try to tell them that I would rather take off 5 lbs today than 30 in a year, but they don't get it.

I think that people are more comfortable commenting to thin people. They don't get that asking if someone is Anorexic is rude. The same people wouldn't ask someone who is heavier "do you have a diagnosed eating disorder?" :glare:

Yes, I've had the anorexic thing a lot. Also telling me I look ill, I look like I've lost "even more weight." Comments like "skinny B*%ch" etc. It's tiresome, very tiresome. And going on 40, it's only eased slightly and I'm the same size and weight I always have been. I also do watch my weight very closely, I mostly eat what I like and as much as I like (which isn't heaps) but if my weight goes above a certain level, I take simple action right then so it doesn't go up further.

My family is the worst when it comes to that. My mom and her sister have an irrational fear of being too thin, and I constantly get comments that I'm too thin, need to eat, exercise too much, as well as some harsher comments. I'm always saying to them that their view is skewed. Everyone they know is overweight, and my dh and I show up and we are normal weight. They are all dealing with problems because they are too heavy, but I'm the one they insult.

Last time I was up visiting family, and my mom was going on and on about it, I bluntly sad that I was not less than before I had kids, nor were my measurements smaller. She was quiet the rest of the night. When others comment I'm usually to shocked, but I want to start telling people that they are rude.

I also hear it from others. I think our society is just too obsessed with weight. Everyone is too heavy or too thin. And people think it's acceptable to comment, to your face, about your weight. I've never told someone that they are too heavy or too thin. It's just rude. And if someone did have an eating disorder, insulting that person would not help.

I would say that in general people are rude... I don't think they mean it that way, but I think filters are missing. Gone is the day when certian topics weren't discussed in public and now everything is fair game. As a result we tell people they are fat, skinny, healthy or unhealthy! Mostly I think it points out more about the person saying it than the person it is being said to!

Sorry you are experiencing this... I have to. I tend to be a people pleaser so I find myself trying to make the rude person feel better... Now that is dumb!!

Thanks everyone. I guess "misery loves company." I was wondering if it was "just me" or if others got these comments.

I agree: at 5'7 and 140, I'm not super slim so the comments have always seemed kind of odd to me. I mean, I have quite a stomach (I had twins).

But someone said that w/ the obesity problem in our country, now just relatively normal women get comments.

Not that super thins should either.

You're all right: it's very under-the-microscope. I want to add that even when I was fluffy, I got many, many rude comments over the years. So it's been eye-opening to get comments now that my fluff is gone.

Thank you. I've really appreciated this thread. You all will go with me throughout my day and I'll think of you the next time I get a comment.

Alley

I guess since I'm relatively new at this "thin thing" (just five years) that I often wonder, "what is wrong with me?? Why do I get comments whether I'm fluffy or thin??"

Alley

People are petty... ergo remarks about appearance regardless of your size, hair color, lines etc... My husband and I are the same age. He now looks much older than me, so everyone in my family has decided it is my eaaaaaasy life. :001_huh: They should try living it.

about being skinny. I tried so hard to gain weight and was so embarrassed about being skinny. (Why oh why must people comment on other's body size? It's hurtful no matter what!) My mom said not to worry, that it would come. Probably by the time I was 15, I finally felt normal. Then I went to college and gained weight and was a little chunky. More feeling bad. But I started getting active by biking and hiking, things I enjoyed doing, and my weight came back to a normal I was happy with.

A few weeks ago I saw someone I know at the gym and she said, "I didn't know you worked out. I just figured you never ate." I'm not skinny! I work hard at trying to gain muscle. Yep, it kind of hurt, because I feel like I'm the healthiest I've ever been and I work hard at it. I also make healthy food choices, but by no means am I deprived.

I know it's hard to hear, but I think some people don't think before they speak. I try to use it as a lesson in remembering to choose my words more carefully before I speak.

The comments I got from people when I was thin were far worse (more mean and more blunt) than the comments I got when I was overweight.

I think someone that is not overweight makes everyone else feel uncomfortable and inadequate. Kind of like how non-homeschoolers seem to think our choosing to homeschool is a direct insult at them. :glare:

I am sure it's different for a man, but I know our pastor said during one of his sermons that has was NOT SICK because he'd lost a fair amount of weight and the entire congregation (apparently) was concerned. I think last year the church we attend did the Daniel Fast for Lent (we started attending right around Easter) and he did really well with it.

I'm sorry that you get mean comments! I don't get many about being overweight, but sometimes I think people are overly cautious in that direction.

I am sure that most of the comments are borne out of jealousy. Practice thinking "Pfft! You WISH you looked this good!" and ignoring them.

I recently stood next to a size 1 woman who was asking my sister-in-law (another size 1) how she managed to get her figure back after having a baby. My SIL commented that you really own need 200 extra calories when pregnant. This other woman (who has never had children), said, "Yeah, you hear all of these women saying that they are eating for two, but in reality, they are just gluttonous." The conversation went on as though if anyone is overweight it's because they are gluttonous.

I know for a fact that this younger lady eats more than I do. She's younger though.

I gained 40 pounds with my first, and I don't remember ever deliberately eating more for the baby. But, I was also working and trying to take care of my new 8 year old. I didn't have much free time to devote to working out and making really healthy meals.

I remember back when I was out of college, I decided to drop the freshman 30. I started walking 45 minutes every day and just generally eating better. I was 25 and eating two packets of instant brown sugar oatmeal, some milk stirred in, with two crumbled graham crackers on it for breakfast.

I eat far better than that now -- have been for three weeks, and I've seen no weight change! Body change, yes. And, I'm again wanting to lose 15 pounds. I'd have to lose 20-25 to be the size I used to be.

I remember being thin, but I only ever got nice comments like, "You look great, did you lose weight?"

So, I never lost all of my baby weight despite trying several times. It's a lot of work -- working out every day, entering my food in and keeping my calories between 1200 and 1500. After a while, I would just give up.

I'm completely fine with the fact that there are skinny people who eat more and move less, but do not presume that you are that way because the rest of us are lethargic gluttons.

What kills me is this size 1 person talks about how fat she is and how she needs to work out.

I remember when I was really thin, I was still working at toning certain parts of my body, but I was aware I wasn't fat. LOL But, I did work for mine. I stopped eating fries, rarely ate dessert, worked out every day by walking, roller blading, doing push-ups, crunches, squats, some stepping on my Reebok step.

I think life got so busy and in the meantime I lost my muscle mass. So, I think it's much harder this time around. I got married, had a baby, and began homeschooling a fourth grader all in the same year. I had no time to workout, and dinners became more simple like chicken patties. But, I know a lot of thin people still eating like that.

So, though I did enjoy recognition for my hard work by others' kind comments, I certainly do not appreciate people assuming I am a lethargic glutton at 39. I'd like to see that young lady balance all that I do. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, I did get told about 100 times that I needed to get a tan though. What is with people thinking everyone is supposed to be olive-skinned?

Seriously, I was ready to move to Ireland where I apparently really belong.

I was told this one time by a woman who had tanned so much she had skin resembling an alligator. I wanted so badly to say something rude to her, but then I would be on the same level as she. So, I didn't.

I was 192lbs right before giving birth to Meg...but...

I was 100lbs when I married and until I gave birth to my first (then that only bumped me to 114 and then #2 bumped me to 130lbs). I'm your height. I got comments ALL THE TIME about my weight. I TRIED to gain weight. My wedding pictures make me look like I'm standing on toothpicks and I could literally span my own waist with my hands. Bigger people felt it was okay to say mean things, "oh you don't know what it's like, you're so thin!" (uhm, there are health problems that come with being underweight, let me tell you! I've dealt with it! There are also self perception issues that come with it, just like with being overweight) or having a guy tell you that you are the kind of girl he would love to be with, you just don't have enough "meat" (or booKs) for his tastes. Try walking into a store and never being able to find clothes because they only carry one or two of size 0 every season and everything else looks like rags hanging off of a scarecrow.

Seriously, I don't care what end of the weight spectrum you are on, people need to learn common courtesy and how to keep their mouths shut!

BTW, you're my height and 136-140lbs? You're perfect weight for your/my height. I envy you right now. Ignore people.

I'm 140 at 5'7", which is about 10 lbs. over the weight at which I feel really good about my body. However, I'm happy with my current weight, which is down 15 lbs. since I started treating my thyroid problem.

Even though I don't feel particularly thin, I get comments. Most of the comments are from my MIL, who has always struggled with being overweight. She had gastric bypass four years ago and lost half her body. In the past six months, though, she's gained back 20%. She's slowly working it back off again.

The other comments come from strangers, who are surprised that I have carried and birthed five children without being overweight as a result. I do watch what I eat and cut back if my pants stop fitting properly. The only time I had an issue with being overweight was when my thyroid quit. I've always been thin. Fast metabolism? Who knows....

I did get mad whenever my husband would resignedly say that I would probably get fat when I got older. I'm not one to focus on an "inevitable" negative. He was worried that I'd be upset if I got heavy and reasoned that I would eventually be overweight because most middle aged+ women are. I'm in my 30s, have five kids, and am still within 10 pounds of my marriage weight. Dh, OTOH, is up about fifty. ;) I don't comment on his gain and I finally got him to stop worrying that I'd get heavy. I think he also finally learned the lesson NOT to comment on the weight of female family members. :)

I'm very thin and I get comments all the time and have my whole life. I just smile and nod and pass the bean dip. People are not intentionally being rude or hurtful most of the time and I choose to hear the good intentions. It is awkward, really, really, awkward sometimes, but just nod and smile...I think all skinny women get comments. The only people who don't get commented on their weight must be slightly overweight people. I don't know, I'm just imagining that must be the case..

Yes they do. I'm genetically thin - my mother and sister are tiny as well. At 9 months pregnant I weighed 63kgs or 138 pounds (my babies were all average weight between 6.5(3 weeks early) to 7.5 pounds).

I don't find the comments hurtful like an overweight person probably would but it does get annoying. There used to be a woman at work that would always come up and span her hands around my waist (yes I was that thin). I was always very healthy though.

I get annoyed whenever I go to the doctor - they are always so focused on my weight and whether "I'm always that thin".

I'm probably one of the few people in the world who wishes they could put on some weight :D I actually hate the way I look - I think I look sick and drawn a lot of the time - I feel jealous of woman who have a little more meat on their bones - it makes them look healthy.

Edited by sewingmama

I think someone that is not overweight makes everyone else feel uncomfortable and inadequate.

:iagree:I don't get comments, but I do get looks. You know, where they blatantly look you up and down with that disgusted face. :tongue_smilie:

I do get ugly comments. Especially from "acquaintances" who are not really friends, but we get along well enough to work on things together.

Everytime I take a bite there's a comment about being certain I never eat. If I choose not to eat something it's because I am trying to stay thin. If I skip dessert it's no wonder I'm skinny.

The reality is that I'm a skinny fat person. If you asked me to do an aerobics class I might die. Seriously. I am so out of shape it's painful.

I do get these comments, too. It is hard to let them roll off the back, but I really don't know what one is supposed to say.

Our pastor's wife (former pastor, not current pastor) say, "You're so skinny. I hate you!" I mean, really. What is one supposed to say to that? "You're so fat. I love you!" She was a large woman, and these comments always seem to come from women who are overweight. It honestly makes me want to look them square in the eye and say, "You know, it's not my fault you are fat." But, of course, I don't say this. Probably the best response would be, "I'm not sure how I'm supposed to respond to that comment."

I don't know what I'm asking except do you always get comments about your body size??

I have gotten many hundreds of comments on my body size throughout my life, especially in my before-children life and after I had only one child. Many people have indicated that they think I withhold food from myself (nowhere near true); my own sister has called me anorexic (as in - she really thought/thinks I starve myself to avoid fat). And heaven forbid if I ever indicate that I need to work out more/eat better! I have learned to never say that to anyone unless they are the same size as me!

Oh, I did get told about 100 times that I needed to get a tan though. What is with people thinking everyone is supposed to be olive-skinned?

Seriously, I was ready to move to Ireland where I apparently really belong.

I was told this one time by a woman who had tanned so much she had skin resembling an alligator. I wanted so badly to say something rude to her, but then I would be on the same level as she. So, I didn't.

:lol::lol: Man, that temptation would be hard to resist!

Yes. I'm not as thin as I used to be. But people always made nasty comments, that weren't probably REALLY meant to be that way. It's just frustrating for people who aren't thin and want to be - I mean it's frustrating for them to look at you, if that makes sense. I had friends say to me (after not having seen me for a while) when we first greeted each other, "are you anorexic or what?" Sort of meant to be a joke, but it obviously was not a compliment. It made me really self-concious and I felt ugly.

I was not trying to be thin, I just was. I worked out a lot (because it kept me healthy and I felt good) but I didn't at all watch what I ate. Anyway, I think this makes some other women almost mad, and it's a way to lash out when they make snippy/snarky comments to thin women.

I don't see anything wrong with complimentary comments such as, "wow - please tell me your workout secret" or whatever. To friends, not strangers.

Of course I want to say that I know comments to thin women/girls are not half as painful as comments to heavy women/girls.

A bit over a year ago, I was overweight.

Since then, I had a nutritionally difficult pregnancy (lost a bunch during the first trimester, and, in the end, gained between 0 and 5lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight), and have been breastfeeding a baby with sensitivities that are majorly restricting my diet. I've lost between 25 and 30 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight, and am now well within my ideal weight range.

I also moved during that time period, and people I know here didn't know me before I was effectively at a "normal" weight. So, I've gotten some comments that assume I'm coming from a thin-person perspective.

It does bug me a bit. I've spent about half my adulthood struggling with weight. I was obese before my first pregnancy, and lost about 40lbs during DS's first year through no particular virtue of my own (breastfeeding, eating out less, and walking more due to no longer being in an office job). I'm not sitting around judging everyone else with a higher BMI than me - I've been there, and am well aware that it's basically chance that I currently am at a weight that is seen as more ideal (and personally, I think I look better with about 15-20lbs more weight on me).

Somehow it seems more socially acceptable to say rude things to thin people than it is to say rude things to overweight people. It shouldn't be that way, but it seems to be the case.

I would never say to anyone, "Geez, you're fat", or "Do you ever stop eating?" but I have in my life had people say to me "Geez, do you ever eat", "Don't you eat" and "Are you anorexic or something?"

Having been slightly overweight, seriously underweight, and about normal, I've had all the perspectives. Yes, I'm envious when I see someone that's a good weight, because I'm currently not at my ideal weight for my height. But I wouldn't insult them anymore than I would someone overweight.

I cannot imagine saying such lame things to people.

Well, you could look quite puzzled and say, 'Wow, what comment would you make if I was overweight?' and perhaps 'Really? In your medical opinion, what weight do you think I should be so you don't feel obligated to comment on how unhealthy I am?' :tongue_smilie:

My dd18 is what I consider super thin. She's 5' 7" and weighs 110 lbs. She gets comments from friends and family. I've had several people take me to the side and share their concern that she must have an eating disorder that I should investigate. While usually annoyed at the comments, I accepted the concern from the doctor one day, acknowledging how someone might come to that conclusion. However, knowing my dd18, she couldn't handle an eating disorder. She is just like me with regards to feeling sick. We both go to the doctor ASAP as soon as we feel nauseus. We absolutely hate vomiting. And I've seen my dd eat very healthy. Her bank records show her fondness for fast food. And she writes lots of requests down on our shopping list that she eats, usually before I get a chance to have some of it!! :D So no, she doesn't have an eating disorder.

So, both she and I get comments about her body size.

I weigh 145 and am 5'1", so i am quite a bit heavier than you, but I have been in your situation. My pregnancy with DD was very difficult, and I actually lost a total of 13 pounds during the pregnancy. Two weeks after her birth, I weighed 126 pounds. Now, I wasn't skinny at all, but I had people tell me I looked unhealthy, etc. I really don't get why people feel the need to comment on another person's body size?

I've got a funny story about that. My sister is 6 years older than me. We are a fair-skinned family and she always worked at being tan, even using tanning beds. One day we decided to go get a haircut. It just happened to be a prom night and the salon was hopping! The receptionist looked at me, then spoke to my sister asking if she brought her dd (me!!) for a prom up-do. I was about 27 and my sister was about 33 years old. She was LIVID! And I was laughing my hiney off! :lol: