Menu

The word "primer"

How do you pronounce the word "Primer"?  

1. 1. How do you pronounce the word "Primer"?

• short /i/ sound
    • long /i/ sound
    • not sure

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to ask if you would mind explaining why you voted the way you did. I always thought it was a long /i/ because the way I understand the phonics rule it would need to have 2 Ms in order for it to be a short /i/. If you voted short /i/ would you mind explaining why it's short and not long? I'm wondering if there's some phonics rule that I'm missing. Thanks!

This word used to confuse the snot out of me. But since being a homeschooler I've heard it only pronounced with the short i.

Due to phonics I wanted to pronounce it with a long i...like the paint.

I'm surprised to see that long i is beating out the short i. Did you google the pronunciation? Off to google and then read the replies.

ETA: This is how Merriam Webster pronounces it.

Edited by silliness7

I'm American, and I learned to pronounce the word as a child from American teachers. Therefore, I say it with a short i, even though I have considered it an exception to the rules of phonics ever since I learned it. I have such respect for the people who taught me to pronounce it that I have always cringed when I heard it pronounced with a long i--- as one would to hear someone pronounce vineyard with a long i. It felt as if the person I was hearing had read the word without experiencing its meaning or having it introduced by a professional.

Vineyard...another phonetic misfit. I wonder if there is a list of these bad boys somewhere. It'll throw my spelling/reading challenged boy into a tailspin for a month. And after that, he'll be so proud to have mastered them. :D

I always thought it was a long /i/ because the way I understand the phonics rule it would need to have 2 Ms in order for it to be a short /i/. If you voted short /i/ would you mind explaining why it's short and not long?

:iagree:Definitely.

I now say it with a short /i/. I switched from saying it with a long /i/ when I had a preschool aged child and heard and experienced hs mom say "primmer." I realized then and there that I had a LOT to learn about homeschooling since I didn't even know how to pronounce the type of book that I would be using to teach my child to read! :001_unsure:

I forgot to ask if you would mind explaining why you voted the way you did. I always thought it was a long /i/ because the way I understand the phonics rule it would need to have 2 Ms in order for it to be a short /i/. If you voted short /i/ would you mind explaining why it's short and not long? I'm wondering if there's some phonics rule that I'm missing. Thanks!

I always said primer with a long i until I heard Mom use a short i. She actually used primers growing up, so I went with her pronunciation.

the "correct" way is with a short /i/ -- http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/primer when you're talking about a kids' book.

but I can't do it. I say it with a long /i/. always have; always will. :tongue_smilie:

Now, the stuff you put on walls before the paint? long /i/. and the stuff I put on my face after moisturizer but before foundation? long /i/.

I have NEVER heard it with a short i.

Me neither. Always pronounce it with long /i/. What part of the US is pronouncing it with short /i/ ?? :tongue_smilie:

(Okay, I see Webster's claim the book is pronounced that way "in the US", but in Britain they pronounced it the other way. I'm with the Brits. :D I also spell travelling with two l's because it looks better - so there. Sticking to one set of rules is so boring when there's another equally valid set of rules across the pond. I just pick the one I like better. :D )

Edited by matroyshka

Short i. The spelling doesn't necessitate a long i, any more than there must be a long i in give, lineament, bilirubin, or lived.

Which reminds me, would someone please start a poll informing people that the i in "short-lived" is long? I heard a newscaster pronounce it correctly last week and nearly keeled over in a faint.

Short i. The spelling doesn't necessitate a long i, any more than there must be a long i in give, lineament, bilirubin, or lived.

Which reminds me, would someone please start a poll informing people that the i in "short-lived" is long? I heard a newscaster pronounce it correctly last week and nearly keeled over in a faint.

I have never heard short-lived pronounced with a long i!

ETA: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/short-lived According to MW, short i is the preferred pronunciation.

Edited by LizzyBee

Live and give are short i despite the presence of the letter e because we do not have words in the English language that end with v.

Bilirubin is the short i sound because it's from the latin, bilis. Using basic phonic rules and knowledge of syllabification one would assume the second i to be long if they were unfamiliar with the word.

Lineament utilizes the short i sound because the syllable break up is:

lin-e-a-ment. The e does not cause the i to be long because they are in 2 different syllables. The e is actually pronounced as a long e, because it is its own syllable. The e can not function as both a silent e and having a sound. (Is that making sense?)

I previously thought that primer should be pronounced with a long i, but upon further research I think I understand why it's not. However, I will say that I have never heard anyone say it with a short i sound, although that does appear to be correct.

On a personal note I would like to add that if Meriam Webster believes the correct pronunciation of primer to be with a short i sound, it should not list chimer, climber, dimer, mimer, rhymer, timer and trimer as words that rhyme with primer!

Other.

I don't use that term for a book. I'm not Mary Poppins. I'm fairly certain I've never said it in my life, and despite being a homeschooler, feel no reason to start. :tongue_smilie:

I do however, aspire to be Bob Vila, so the primer with the long I sound does come out of my mouth from time to time.

Live and give are short i despite the presence of the letter e because we do not have words in the English language that end with v.
But how would the absence of other words cause a vowel change in words we do have? Besides, shiv and vav spring immediately to mind.

I will give you lineament, etc. :) My point was that the spelling itself doesn't tell you automatically how a vowel is pronounced. You're right that the words I gave have sound reasons for the short vowel; and so, no doubt, does primer (the book).

I previously thought that primer should be pronounced with a long i, but upon further research I think I understand why it's not. However, I will say that I have never heard anyone say it with a short i sound, although that does appear to be correct.
I've always said it with a short i, but that's just how I was taught.

It's interesting to note that the OED gives an instance of its use in 1475 in which it's spelled premere; this suggests to me that the vowel was already short by then, and also that, even though the origin is the Latin primarium (the canonical hour), there was influence from French premiere, which may account for the vowel shortening.

But how would the absence of other words cause a vowel change in words we do have? Besides, shiv and vav spring immediately to mind.

Shiv comes from the Romani word chiv. It is also slang. Words borrowed from foreign languages are troublesome.

What is vav? The only definition I'm finding for it is either an acronym or the sixth letter of semitic alphabets, again, not really an English word.

Are you kidding me? People pronounce this word with a long i sound? Is this a joke? I have NEVER heard such a thing!

Did folks miss the definition? House paint base is primer with a long i sound. A book is short i......

I don't mean to be snarky at all - I'm just floored that so many checked the long i box!

Are you kidding me? People pronounce this word with a long i sound? Is this a joke? I have NEVER heard such a thing!

Did folks miss the definition? House paint base is primer with a long i sound. A book is short i......

I don't mean to be snarky at all - I'm just floored that so many checked the long i box!

All you needed to say was, 'Goodness, I didn't know so many people pronounced it with a long 'i''

It's correct with a long or short 'i' in Britain and this, from the poll, also seems to be common in the US.

Laura

It's correct with a long or short 'i' in Britain and this, from the poll, also seems to be common in the US.

:iagree:

It's pointless to look to the spelling of a word for an indication of its pronunciation -- this is English, after all :001_smile:

Just look at how the British pronounce "privacy," "progress," "lever," etc. -- the opposite of how Americans do.

I had NEVER heard primer with a short i until recently ... from homeschoolers using, well, primers :D

~Laura

ETA: dynasty ... cervical ... director ... cretin ... status ... p(a)edophile ... shone ... evolution ... patron ... urinal ... liposuction ... dimension ...

Edited by Laura in CA

for us poor benighted Brits, for whom a long 'i' is actually correct.

Laura

Certainly, and I would never characterize Brits as poor or benighted. I was absolutely only addressing American pronunciation. My posts tend to be short due to toddler interference. As the previous poster pointed out, Brits also pronounce correctly privacy with a short i, progress as a noun with a long o, and lever with a long e. In the US, most users say privacy with a long i, progress with ah unless it is a verb, and lever with a short e. It's just the nature of dialect!

Just thought of something ... As a PP pointed out, both the paint and the book are foundational or initial -- as is "primary" school. So would y'all pronounce primary-school primer as "primary-school primmer"?

To me that seems inconsistent (not that English is always logical, haha). I just have never heard "primmer" except from homeschoolers. (I never watched "Little House," either; just read the books.) I've lived in New York, New Jersey, and California, and overseas. Of course the word "primer" (= book) doesn't usually come up in casual conversation with non-hs'ers :)

(If it's pronounced "primmary-school primmer," then I'm really confused! :confused: