Psych

Monk

Bones

House

Lie to Me

That 70's Show

Friends

Grey's Anatomy

I am currently watching SNL with my hubby when he is home on the weekends and Monk with the children during the week when he is gone. I am looking for something I can watch when the late night insomnia hits. For the most part I am looking for mindless but somewhat interesting entertainment. I also want something that is easy to watch one episode at a time as opposed to something like 24 which you can never turn off. I would also prefer a shorter series (maybe 4 or 5 seasons or less) over a longer one (say 6 or more seasons) Which of the ones in the poll should I watch next? Any suggestions not already listed? Also do I need to watch Dr. Who before Torchwood in order to fully appreciate the later?

PS. The poll allows you to choose more than one.

Edited by KidsHappen

From the stuff you like I would watch Doctor Who. It is a great program and pretty funny. I would recommend watching maybe up to season four of Doctor Who before watching Torchwood.

Doctor Who is generally ok for kids, my kidis ten and I let her watch it. Torchwood is NOT OK for kids (tea making) I watch that after she goes to bed. :lol:

Stargate does have some To Be Continued episodes, particular the season finale. But overall they do have season story archs like the PP described. It has ten seasons, then there is Stargate Atlantis with (I think four?) seasons. Then there is the new Stargate which doesn't have much to do with the others (new Stargate is NOT OK FOR KIDS, it has some tea)

I call BSG: Battlestar Dramatica. It wouldn't be ok to watch around kids. I enjoyed it but I did get a bit bored with all the tea making. I like my sci fi to be more sci fi heavy. IMO it depends on if you are in the mood for drama or sci fi.

I am watching Grey's Anatomy atm. It is pretty good IMO, I think if you like that you might like BSG. :)

Edited by Sis

I vote for a British miniseries called Ultraviolet (not to be confused with the Milla Jovovovovich movie of the same name) while you decide from amongst the rest.

And do you mean Dr. Who from Christopher Eccleston, or would you start earlier?

Slight spin off question.

Without any spoilers, did the show "Dollhouse" end well? Did they tie up most of the loss ends?

My dh didn't think so. He was a little put off. I blame it all on FOX anyway, not the show, they mess up every good show. I'm just waiting for them to mess with Walter Bishop, then I'll start a Strawberry pop tart mail-in campaign in protest.

My dh didn't think so. He was a little put off. I blame it all on FOX anyway, not the show, they mess up every good show. I'm just waiting for them to mess with Walter Bishop, then I'll start a Strawberry pop tart mail-in campaign in protest.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I will add bananas in envelopes to that campaign!!

I didn't notice that I could vote for more than one show. :tongue_smilie:

I voted for Quantum Leap, but Farscape would also be good, as would Stargate. You could watch Farscape first, then Stargate, and wait for your favorite characters from Farscape show up the last couple of seasons. :-) Also, on Stargate, remember that there is nudity in the pilot--I believe SG was originally filmed for Showtime (?) which has much looser policies on stuff like that than most other networks. Then you could watch Sanctuary and catch your favorite SG peeps *there.* Sadly, Sanctuary isn't nearly as good as I'd hoped it would be.:glare:

I liked some of Torchwood, but there were ocassional same-s*x tea that would catch me off guard. It might not bother you and your family; I'm just giving you a heads-up. I haven't watched enough to see any Dr. Who overlap, although I have watched a scant few Dr. Who episodes and was surprised to see Capt. Jack on there.

Primeval...eh. It was ok, but not on par with the others.

I have watched and enjoyed every show on your list!

I voted Farscape because it fits the entertaining but not too intense, and short - only 4 seasons. And I agree with pp, watch Farscape first, then SG1 so you aren't so miffed about the cast changes in the last few changes. I do enjoy Sanctuary, though I agree it isn't as good as it could be. It is still running though, where Farscape and SG1 are finished so you can get the full story arc without having to wait for new seasons on Netflix.

Quantum Leap is good if you don't mind going old school. And of course New Who is fabulous, but again it is still running, so you would have to wait for new seasons.

Can you tell I like scifi? :D

Ps - Castle is good too. Love me some Nathan Fillion.

Doctor Who, Doctor Who, Doctor Who!!

I am currently trying to convert my friends to this fine program, but after seeing me make the slow descent from regular shows, to basic cable shows, to SyFy shows, to British tv - they are reluctant to start their own fall to madness :)

I can't bear to tell them that I'm reading Doctor Who books on my Kindle. :lol:

My addiction aside, it's absolutely fantastic. And if you to go the Torchwood route, I agree with watching the first 3 or 4 seasons of DW first - just to get your feet wet. DW introduces the main character of Torchwood, so that helps.

But yes, an emphatic (and somewhat crazy) vote for Doctor Who :)

And do you mean Dr. Who from Christopher Eccleston, or would you start earlier?

I would start with those.

We might watch the earlier ones but we like goofy old school sci fi. It gets a bit funny once technology catches up to something that is supposed to be "SUPER ADVANCED SCIENCE!!!!" K-9 was cool in his day but now even sex dolls are more advanced. It is bad when you are watching old sci fi and think "I bet there is an app for that." :lol:

Edited by Sis

Also do I need to watch Dr. Who before Torchwood in order to fully appreciate the later?

There are a few minor references to the doctor in Torchwood, but that's it. Jack, the main character, shows up a few times in Dr. Who so if you watch that first, you'll know who he is and a bit about him going into Torchwood.

I posted to caution you, though. We LOVED Dr. Who. In it, there is a reference or two over Jack dating anything. He eyes guys, gals, and aliens. It's tame and fine for kids.

Torchwood, though, it strictly for adults. I'd rate one episode NC-17. An alien in a female's body gets life energy from the male's climax, and is shown (explicitly) having teA with several males, and trying to get it on with a female. The episode is in the first season. In several episodes, Jack's homosexuality is discussed. He kisses a few different males. His relationship with another male character is out in the open, and in one episode another character walks in on them naked and in a heated, passionate, make-out session. The second and third seasons focus a lot more on Jack's sexuality which isn't all that necessary for the storyline.

CASTLE!!!!!!!

Dh and I LOVE Castle! I highly recommend it. Oh, another obsession of ours that is fun is Glee - another one we'd highly recommend.

Dexter is a favorite here, but it's a bit heavier than what you listed as what you've already watched.

I voted Dexter because of what's on your list, that is the one my mom absolutely loves (I haven't watched any on your list :001_huh: ). My mom and step-dad are obsessed with Dexter (and Castle and the series with the chemistry teacher turned meth maker ... Burn Notice or something?). She says there are some parts she can't watch, but she absolutely loves the series.

I voted Dexter because of what's on your list, that is the one my mom absolutely loves (I haven't watched any on your list :001_huh: ). My mom and step-dad are obsessed with Dexter (and Castle and the series with the chemistry teacher turned meth maker ... Burn Notice or something?). She says there are some parts she can't watch, but she absolutely loves the series.

Breaking Bad, with the dad from Malcolm in the Middle

I love Dexter and Castle! Castle is definitely a series you can watch one episode at a time. Dexter is cliffhanger after cliffhanger. It's also an intense series about a man that has an obsession with blood and killing, but is an otherwise decent guy.

Breaking Bad, with the dad from Malcom in the Middle

I love Dexter and Castle! Castle is definitely a series you can watch one episode at a time. Dexter is cliffhanger after cliffhanger. It's also an intense series about a man that has an obsession with blood and killing, but is an otherwise decent guy.

Thanks = I can never remember and always call it the wrong thing. :001_huh:

That's what I am afraid of, not only is it FOX but Abrahms as well. I love Walter and I will be so mad if they mess that show up.

Slight spin off question.

Without any spoilers, did the show "Dollhouse" end well? Did they tie up most of the loss ends?

I have no idea. It lost me about half-way through the second season. I watched it all but I have absolutely no idea what the heck was going on. I couldn't really tell if it was because it was totally over my head of if it was because they did a poor job telling the story. Know Joss I assume it was the former. Anyhow, I intend to go back and watch that series again and take notes this time. :001_smile:

I noticed that several people mentioned Castle. I watched about the first six episodes when it originally came out on tv and it didn't really hook me. Does it get much better later on? I will admit that while I loved Nathon in Firefly I am not a big fan of his. I saw him first in Buffy so he will always be Calab to me.

What does it say about me that I have never seen any part of any episode of any of those shows, and have only heard of one: Dexter b/c it pops up in the Netflix lists all the time? The other names are complete mysteries. No idea whatsoever.

Apparently I am very out of it. I knew that, but didn't know just how bad it was.

So, my vote is. . . well, how about Bewitched. There's a series I can watch over and over. Give me a magic nose & I'd be so happy.

If you're interested in going old-school - I loved Quantum Leap and Sliders. Sliders is similar to QL in that each week is different.

The list of what you currently watch is pretty much what we DVR every week.

The problem I've had with both Sanctuary and Damages is the sporadic scheduling. Damages was good for a while, then it disappeared for a long time. They did the same thing with Sanctuary. They ended the season on a cliff-hanger then didn't return for almost 6 months. Usually SyFy is good about doing a marathon of the previous season before the current season opener but for some reason they didn't do that this past season. The second half of the cliff-hanger wasn't nearly as good when we didn't remember the first half.

Edited by dottieanna29

We'd be good TV buddies :D. I watch/have watched many of the same shows.

The newer BSG (not on your list) and then Dr. Who!! Maybe Castle but I haven't seen that one myself yet.

New BSG is probably one of the best series I've ever watched. Dh and I were very sad that it was so short. Great option.

Any Stargate fans are welcome to correct me. It has been awhile since I watched it. Hardly any episodes of Stargate end with a feeling of "to be continued". They do have story arc lasting one to two seasons. So it is possible to quit watching after a season is completed. It is 10 seasons long, but the last three seasons in my opinion don't really fit - so I think of it as a 7 season show.

As an avid SG fan, I'd agree with this. I have liked all of the Stargate series, but none compare to the original SG-1. Highly recommended. The first 7 seasons are much better just because of Richard Dean Anderson. Dh and I might have to break out our DVDs and rematch it...again. We don't buy many series on DVD but we do have SG-1, BSG (new), and Friends. Those were worth it.

They'd better not! Dh and I were just talking about how he makes the show! Sign me up for the protest if they mess it up!