Menu

A few thoughts on home schooling, public schools, private schools...

There have been a number of threads on the boards this week discussing public and private schooling options as well as home schooling. I'm a little disturbed by a few of things that happened in those threads...

1) Some home schooling parents objected to discussions of public schools on a home schooling board.

2) Some home schooling parents issued very strong blanket condemnations of all public schools.

3) Other parents responded to those blanket condemnations in a hostile and provoking manner.

....And several of the threads spiralled downward from there.

I want to weigh in with a few thoughts.

First of all, this is primarily a home education board, but it has a very strong secondary purpose--which is to support ALL parents as they educate their children. We do have an afterschooling board, but parents who are not "full time home schoolers" should be able to post questions and observations on any board without getting jumped on.

Second, I would like to express my personal point of view on public vs. private vs. home schooling. There is nothing to be gained by taking a strong ideological stance that one form of education is ALWAYS better in every situation than another. I hate to hear blanket condemnations of public education from home educators, just as much as I despise hearing blanket condemnations of home schoolers from public school parents and teachers. There is nothing helpful about this kind of conversation.

Some public schools are good. Some aren't. Some private schools are good. Some aren't. Some home educators are doing a good job. Some aren't. Could anything be more obvious?

And as far as the public school system being some sort of coordinated effort to indoctrinate children in a certain way of thinking: I don't buy it. Never have. I find the scare language and the alarmist tactics of groups that preach this to be very disturbing.

I could get sidetracked on this, but at the moment I won't; instead, let me just offer my final point:

Third, although I don't like blanket condemnations of public schools, we're not going to ban that sort of conversation on these boards. I have been to too many home education conferences where I was told, when picking up my speaker badge, that if I said anything in support of public education or charter schools, I would break the terms of my contract and forfeit my honorarium and have to pay for my own flight and hotel room. (I have never visited those conferences a second time, by the way.) There's no way on earth I'm going to exercise that sort of censorship on this message board.

It would be more useful for those of you who object to blanket condemnations of public schools to engage with the threads thoughtfully and carefully. So far, many of you have engaged with it with derision and hostility. NOT HELPFUL. (Also, please stop hitting the report button when someone says something you don't like.)

Hope people on both sides of this issue will read this and think about it.

SWB

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, Susan! I agree with every word you said.

I now have one child in ps and one at home,* and I find myself biting my tongue a lot around my homeschool friends. Sigh ...

~Laura

*ETA: and absolutely the best situation for each kid

Edited by Laura in CA

Guest Dulcimeramy

Thanks for that. I was wondering what happened to my post from last night in which I expressed weariness at a proliferation of public school discussions but clearly stated in the title that I didn't want ps talk censored on the boards.

Shame.

I am not anti- private or public school, however I find it very discouraging when I come on here for support and encouragement and I find post after post about putting kids back in school or putting kids in school for the first time because it is so much better for them.

It is discouraging to think all of my time and efforts over the past 17 years could have been adequately taken over by the school system and I have just wasted nearly half of my life on this educational experiment and my kids would have been better off socially, academically and spiritually if I had just allowed them to go to Public School because of course they are more rigorous than my relaxed homeschool approach (which is not all that relaxed).

I would never seek a censorship of pretty much any topic around here, but I think it would be nice to graciously help those Mom's who are really at the end of their rope and need a break...or maybe it would be nice for them to just put the kids back in school, do their thing and not comment on how much better things are over on the other side of the fence...

OR, I could just pass up those posts like I usually do.:D

Thanks for your thoughts Susan.

Faithe

Am I allowed to say that I wish there were less public school posts? I dabble in public and private school, as well as homeschooling. I don't bash either, however I do like my homeschooling boards to be encouraging and pro-homeschool.

I am not anti- private or public school, however I find it very discouraging when I come on here for support and encouragement and I find post after post about putting kids back in school or putting kids in school for the first time because it is so much better for them.

It is discouraging to think all of my time and efforts over the past 17 years could have been adequately taken over by the school system and I have just wasted nearly half of my life on this educational experiment and my kids would have been better off socially, academically and spiritually if I had just allowed them to go to Public School because of course they are more rigorous than my relaxed homeschool approach (which is not all that relaxed).

I would never seek a censorship of pretty much any topic around here, but I think it would be nice to graciously help those Mom's who are really at the end of their rope and need a break...or maybe it would be nice for them to just put the kids back in school, do their thing and not comment on how much better things are over on the other side of the fence...

OR, I could just pass up those posts like I usually do.:D

Thanks for your thoughts Susan.

Faithe

:confused::confused::confused:

I thought Susan's post covered this stuff....very nicely.

:confused::confused::confused:

I thought Susan's post covered this stuff....very nicely.

Not entirely. I have felt that some of the ps posts/polls have an agenda behind them, like public schools are superior to homeschooling. Now maybe I am just being overly sensitive in this regard, but Feb. is a hard month for some hsers and I am very protective of new or burnt out hsers.

Not entirely. I have felt that some of the ps posts/polls have an agenda behind them, like public schools are superior to homeschooling. Now maybe I am just being overly sensitive in this regard, but Feb. is a hard month for some hsers and I am very protective of new or burnt out hsers.

:iagree:

:iagree::iagree: This is happening on other homeschool boards too. I'm not for censoring either, but it IS hard enough to homeschool and remain positive about it and believe we are doing the best thing for our kids when I see more and more posts praising how much better ps, private school, CC, co-ops, online etc. etc. than 'just' homeschooling every time I turn around. Sometimes it's really hard to even say "Homeschooling is still the best choice" on ANY homeschool board without getting kind of beat up for it, KWIM? But of course----any discussion about all of our options should be civil and kind for sure ;)

I don't think homeschooling or public/private schooling has to be an all or nothing issue. Sometimes I feel that we can box ourselves in with a decision to homeschool or have our children in PS. I get the sense sometimes that some families feel stuck with their decision and feel that there is no way out.

For our family we consider our options carefully on a year by year basis. We have homeschooled and sent our children to private school. This year our two dc are attending private school but we are planning on homeschooling next year.

I have to say that it was emotionally difficult for me to put our children back in private school last year (not because we didn't want to stop homeschooling, but rather difficult because we felt such derision from our homeschooling friends...) It was almost like we weren't part of the "club" anymore and I'm sad to say our decision cost me a few friendships. Most of our homeschooling friends thought we had "sold out" and our traditional school friends thought we had finally come to our senses. It was neither of those things, just the right fit at the right time.

I guess my point with this post is that it is okay (IMHO) that homeschooling can be right for a season in our lives. It works for my sweet family to leave our options open and evaluate our situation each year.

Nobody was saying that ps are better. Just not across-the-board horrible, with some having merit. Nothing is going to make me send my girlies to school...not even if their brother is enjoying his schooling experience. My girls are thriving, my son is thriving. That's it, nothing more, nothing less.

I love SWB. I loved what she said. But I really, really appreciate this TrueBlue. I bust my bum day in and day out trying to provide a great education for my kids. I second-guess myself at least 35 times a day. This time of year is exceptionally hard. I know from experience not all public/private schools are bad, but I also know MY local ps stinks. I'm just trying to do my best. We all are. So let's all just hold hands, sing some hippie-love-everyone-rocks songs, pass the margaritas, and encourage one another.

I agree February is very hard whether you are homeschooling or not:D OTOH IMHO I do not think there any agendas with these ps posts at all. I think this board just has an eclectic mix of parents who are interested in educating their children which includes homeschoolers, public schoolers, private schoolers, and cyber schoolers.

My 2 cents:)

Nobody was saying that ps are better. Just not across-the-board horrible, with some having merit. Nothing is going to make me send my girlies to school...not even if their brother is enjoying his schooling experience. My girls are thriving, my son is thriving. That's it, nothing more, nothing less.

And I do believe someone made the point that even schools that might be rated a "10" according to standardized testing don't deliver the same depth of education that one might associate with a WTM style education. *Sigh*

Bill

I agree February is very hard whether you are homeschooling or not:D OTOH IMHO I do not think there any agendas with these ps posts at all. I think this board just has an eclectic mix of parents who are interested in educating their children which includes homeschoolers, public schoolers, private schoolers, and cyber schoolers.

My 2 cents:)

It might interest some (but not others :D) that parents at the school my son attends are having the same sort of "what is it about February" sort of conversations we are seeing here.

Bill

And I do believe someone made the point that even schools that might be rated a "10" according to standardized testing don't deliver the same depth of education that one might associate with a WTM style education. *Sigh*

Bill

So true. While I am not officially afterschooling my youngest son, I certainly don't believe the school can give him all that he needs to be well-educated. Everything we do as a family is adding greater depth to the lives of all of our children, including the child who has chosen to attend a pretty decent, if imperfect, public high school.

I squishy-heart you, SWB :D

wow about the censorship at some conferences, I honor your decision to do otherwise. I stopped going to our big homeschool conference more than a decade ago because I couldn't handle the "charter school parents are sinning" theme.

Thank you, for this in particular:

And as far as the public school system being some sort of coordinated effort to indoctrinate children in a certain way of thinking: I don't buy it. Never have. I find the scare language and the alarmist tactics of groups that preach this to be very disturbing.

I agree with everything you said. However, I guess I missed all the ps bashing. Most of what I have seen in the last few days seems to be closer to hs bashing ex- we probably aren't doing as good as ps etc.

:iagree: I hope nobody has taken my posts as across the board ps bashing. Around here, our schools are just suffering tremendously with mass teacher layoffs, budget cuts, program cuts, etc. and it's jut horrible, but I don't think all schools are bad. I went to an excellent Primary K-2, for example. :D

But I have been a bit amazed at all of the homeschool put downs I have seen on here since I joined, even. I hear enough of that from my in-laws, so I wasn't expecting it here! :lol:

This is late Dec-Feb

:willy_nilly::eek::crying::smash::cursing::smash::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Deep snow. Mud. Losing my mind. Going stir crazy. My brain going in circles.

LOL - I felt this way when my kids were at school. And nothing has changed! It is snowing AGAIN today. I cannot take it! :banghead:

This is so true. I think the vast majority of parents on this board are doing what they can to ensure success and options for their kids' futures. There are many roads to achieve a high quality education - none necessarily better for the other. Every circumstance is unique and there is definitely no one size fits all solution. The children I feel badly for are the ones that have parents without the time, energy, or resources to invest in their child's education at a deep level.

My oldest attended 2 years of PS. Both kids had fabulous pre school experience. Homeschooling is definitely a year by year prospect for us.

This is late Dec-Feb

:willy_nilly::eek::crying::smash::cursing::smash::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Deep snow. Mud. Losing my mind. Going stir crazy. My brain going in circles.

Oh boy.......yes!!! Add in sub zero AGAIN this morning, more snow, billowing dust on my walks from road sand that sticks to my teeth...:cursing:.....can't take it anymore either..:O