Menu

A few thoughts on home schooling, public schools, private schools...

There are very different philosophical views about homeschooling. I would never suggest that someone who has a different one than mine stop verbalizing it. I think you might not understand the different kinds of hsers out there. A more complete understanding of a culture or subculture can be useful to avoid unnecessarily hurt feelings on both sides.

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } ==Three Homeschooling Mind Sets==

All roughly three mindsets are present in today's homeschool community.

===Pioneers (First Wave of Homeschoolers)===

In the early 1980s before the public schools were generally viewed as performing poorly and safety was not generally an issue, two groups of people emerged creating the modern homeschooling movement.

The first were largely Fundamentalist/Evangelical Christians who wanted what they called a “Christ Centered Educationâ€. Their goal was integrate family relationships, life skills, academics, and religious training in equal proportions into the education of their children. They believed that God had a particular plan for each child’s life, and it was the job of the parent to educate and train their children as individuals for that purpose.

Meanwhile a secular group of parents, many inspired by John Holt’s writings, decided that keeping their children at home and customizing a education to suit their particular talents and interests emerged. They believed that real life and academics should be integrated to give a greater understanding of the world, and nurturing the self-motivation required for future success.

Both groups had different motivations,but some of their methodology was very similar. They practice tutorial style education with the flexibility that comes with customization. Apprenticeships, life experiences, and high quality academics are common between them. Neither group likes the standard scope and sequence approach (conveyor belt or one size fits all education) that is characteristic of institutional settings.

In general they share the conviction that institutional settings are bad for children so of course, homeschooling is the only acceptable option to meet their goals.

These two groups were primarily responsible for the court battles necessary to make homeschooling a legally recognized option in each state. They currently fight to deregulate homeschooling nationwide.

===Settlers (Second Wave Homeschoolers)===

In the early 1990s several studies on academic performance revealed that homeschoolers were outperforming instiutionalized children in both the public and private sectors. A group of parents took notice because academic performance was their number one priority. They began homeschooling their children and enjoyed the flexible lifestyle.

The do not have convictions that institutional settings are categorically bad for children, and many can afford private/religious education, but their children are thriving in the homeschooling environment. This group has a large mix of very religious and non-religious people, and everyone in between.

Settlers are primarily responsible for taking homeschooling into the mainstream.

===Refugees (Third Wave Homeschoolers)===

By the late 1990s and after the turn of the new millennium public schools were getting bad press- specifically about negative social issues and poor academic performance. The floodgates of homeschooling opened and a new group of parents poured into the homeschool community.

They are fleeing. They do not like or do not have access to government funded charter schools and cannot afford a private/religious institutional setting, so they decide to homeschool until they can afford private schools or until the public schools are seriously overhauled.

They are primarily responsible for the current school choice debates.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have really only recently started to post on these boards, but my overall impression is that in an attempt to be supportive of all educational choices, there really isn't support for those who are firmly committed to homeschooling. Homeschooling is a tremendous amount of work, and can be very tiring. Those of us who are homeschooling need encouragement. Honestly, I think it is very important to have a board that boosts those who may be temporarily discouraged. Perhaps there should be a homeschool encouragement section for those of us who need to hear or are willing to give words of encouragement. I have had my own "yellow school bus days", in which I feel tempted to send the kids on that bus the following day, but have been blessed with friendships IRL to help me remember my original reasons for choosing homeschooling. It would be nice for those who don't have much local homeschooling support to find that inspiration here. If that is not okay here these boards perhaps someone could direct me to another board where that is permissible.

Speaking only for myself, I can't imagine a better place to gain encouragement, information, and inspiration to homeschool, than the WTM boards.

What I got from SWB's post is this: it's not necessary to tear down another education choice in order to bolster your own. I certainly agree.

She is most definitely a champion of homeschooling; she is a product of homeschooling. She has written numerous books with homeschoolers in mind. And, she has provided this board.

I am thankful :001_smile:

I've found the boards here very supportive...though maybe I don't come here as much for support as for the chatting!

I love hearing about all your experiences with education - wherever it takes place. It's nice to be among parents who care so much about their kiddos.

Makes me feel good about our future... :)

Speaking only for myself, I can't imagine a better place to gain encouragement, information, and inspiration to homeschool, than the WTM boards.

What I got from SWB's post is this: it's not necessary to tear down another education choice in order to bolster your own. I certainly agree.

I *also* agree, but that isn't *most* of what I found in the threads in question.

I homeschool because it is the best choice I can make for my family at this time. I'm not rabidly anti-public school or private school, not by any stretch of the imagination. I've had many friends put their kids in school because they were overwhelmed or felt isolated or for whatever reason. I've been through that with very close friends. I completely understand why they would do that. I didn't see *anyone* suggest that the board be censored of pro-public school sentiment. What I saw was people expressing frustration at the large number of pro-public-school posts.

If you *really* want to have a discussion about the education system in the US you'd have to discuss awful, horrible schools as well as great and wonderful schools. Discussing the terrible conditions under which some teachers must do their job (Kozol, anyone?) isn't tearing down teachers.

She is most definitely a champion of homeschooling; she is a product of homeschooling. She has written numerous books with homeschoolers in mind. And, she has provided this board.

I am thankful :001_smile:

I'm extremely grateful too. If it was not for TWTM, I seriously doubt we would have continued to homeschool this long. SOTW was a godsend, loved it. It is wonderful to have this board during a time when many publishers are struggling and I know several companies have shut their boards down to save money.