Menu

Liam vs William name argument.

If you did not want to use William, would Liam be too close an association to use?  

1. 1. If you did not want to use William, would Liam be too close an association to use?

• Yes
    • No

Trying to name this seventh son of ours.

I do not want to use a name of any other family members.

Such as William.

Dh likes the name Liam, which is short for WilLIAM.

To me that is too close to a family name to use.

Dh says I'm being difficult. (Which is pot calling to the kettle, imnsho, but that is another matter!)

What say the hive? If you didn't want to use William, would you associate Liam with it?

ETA: This would be a first name, if that makes a difference.

Nope - because I've never even thought of it as a shortened version of William. It was actually the first choice for our 2nd son, but then one day, we switched it as he felt different to us that day (don't ask us to explain), but if we had a 3rd son, his name would probably be Liam.

Not to be partisan ;) but I don't connect the two names at all. I rather like Liam.

:iagree:

So you already have a child named William or is William a different family member?

However, I would not chose William if you already have a child with that name, it that instance it would be too close.

I would not chose a name that could be misconstrued as a nick name for another child, or a family member I was not fond of.

Do you like... absolutely NOT like the William in your family?? If not.... is it a bad thing to be close, but yet different?? I have an Uncle Bill who m*lested my cousin... actually...he r*ped her on a continual basis.... and would never be prosecuted... so I would never name my child "Bill"... but Liam... just isn't the same...

:)

I think Liam is actually the Irish form of the name William, right?

If I already had a William, I wouldn't go for Liam.

If I had a relative I really didn't like named William, I wouldn't go for Liam.

If I was just trying to avoid repetition, I'd consider Liam. It sounds "just different enough."

Liam is the Celtic form of William, so it's the same name. Because we were looking for the Celtic form of William, we chose that name for our younger son. If you already have a William in the house (or family), then you will have two of them if you choose that name. And by the way, everyone thinks they are hearing the tail end of "William" when you say "Liam", and most start out using William until you've corrected them a few times....

If it would bother you for William to think that Liam was named after him then don't do it. If someone else's feelings might get hurt <named after one grandfather but not the other> then don't. But if you are just avoiding using the same name then its different enough that it will be clear who is who. But someone will draw the association.

Christine

I am another who never made the connection.

When I say William, I say 'Wil yem' (or yum-I can't decide LOL).

Liam is 'Lee em'

To me, they don't even sound similar. I have never (knowingly at least) mistaken a Liam for a William.

And by the way, everyone thinks they are hearing the tail end of "William" when you say "Liam", and most start out using William until you've corrected them a few times....

I wonder if that is regional. Around here, William is pronounced Will-yum. Lee-um sounds totally different to me. I've sent a query to friends who have a child named Liam to ask if anyone around here ever thinks they are hearing the last part of William. (When this couple named their child Liam, I had never heard the name before and just thought it was a trendy Irish name.)

Not to be partisan ;) but I don't connect the two names at all. I rather like Liam.

I never did either. I have a William and have always liked the name Liam. If the William in your family is not in your immediate family, then I don't think it matters. We call our William "Will" which in my opinion is how your shorten William. Or "Bill."

It depends on how close the family relationship. If a brother or father is William, maybe even grandfather then I think Liam would be too close of a link. An uncle or deceased relative would be fine for me. But I am biased with a long line of Williams in the family and a William of my own. Ggma's family had 13 kids. An older one was William and a younger one was Billy Ray. :lol:

If the William is one of your parents (I think this was said earlier), I'd have to think long and hard on it. There is a chance that the non-William parents will feel you've named a child after the William-parents and their feathers might get a little ruffled. And the William-parents might take it as an incredible, and yet unintended, sign of respect/adoration/affection. Now, all this might be okay with you guys, so.... that might be a moot point. Just a thing to consider.

So. With that said, love the name Liam, and I am one who definitely associates the name with William (both for the Celtic/American same-name thing and for the possibility of Liam being a nickname/shortened version of William).

Also - we named one of our daughters a "version" of my mother's name. We meant it as a compliment. She never saw it that way, because we changed one of the letters in dd's name. My cousin named her daughter another "version" of the name (NOT meaning it as a compliment, necessarily... she just liked the name), but kept the "y," and my mom is still telling people about her great-niece who has nearly the same name as her. :001_huh: So, maybe the william-parents won't notice the similarity at all! lol

I'm with you, Martha. IMO, Liam is the same name as William. It *is* the Irish version of William.

If you already have a William, and you name this boy Liam, you might as well name the next boy Guillaume.

I have an "Ella" named after a great-grandmother "Novella" who, if a boy, I wanted to name "Xander" after a great-grandfather "Alexander", so I see the connection. If you don't want there to ever be the possibility of the association, I can understand not wanting to use that name.

On the other hand, I love the name Liam!

I just found out the other day (from a friend) that Liam was a version of William - had no idea before that.

I also had no idea that "Bert" was short for "Robert" until now... I thought it was just a freestanding name of its own...

and wait, someone said that Ian and Sean are the same? :001_huh:

I have a Liam. I know it's a form of William, but I don't think William when I hear Liam like I do when I hear Bill or Will. The only person who has asked us if Liam was short for William was the mother of a classmate named Will. Most people who mishear my son's name hear it as Ian.

It's like Isabel. I know it's a form of Elizabeth, but I hearing Isabel doesn't remind me of Elizabeth the way hearing Beth or Liz does.

Martha, Martha, Martha....You didn't give an " other" choice.:D

I would never have associated Liam with William and started to vote to use it.

BUT, BUT, BUT

Will your family associate them and leave other members irritated that you didn't use their name? Stupid, but it would be an issue with my family. My sister named one son after both grandads by using derivatives of each first name for her son's first and middle. Something similar to Liam for William. But, she made it known that's what she was doing.

Regardless of the historical connection, most of today's Liam's are not a shortened version of William. Most people in the U.S. (sorry I forgot to look if you're in the U.S.) don't connect the names. And in most regions, the two are pronounced differently.

All of the Liam's I know are LEE-um. My husband is Bill, and he doesn't say his name is Will-LEE-um. It's WILL-yum

:001_huh:

Just me and two others so far?

Really?

How can you not associate them?

Dh says no one associates Bert with Robert, yet they do associate Bob with it.

Go figure.

I will never understand people.:tongue_smilie:

I had no idea that Liam was short for William and I probably wouldn't associate Bert with Robert either.

I think they are too close. But I'm coming from a family with Williams on every branch of our family tree. We've run the gamut of nicknames. Liam is the latest and although he is a very cute 4 year old, everyone knows his name is a nickname from William. It's just too obvious in our family for it not to be. So IMO, your family will all know that Liam is a derivation for William regardless if his first name has the 'Wil" on the front of "Liam" or not.

And yes, my ds14's middle name is William. I couldn't go against family tradition. But, it's his middle name, not his first! I just couldn't do the first name.