Menu

Curious - would you pay this much for a coat?

In the $400-$500 range? (Canadian dollars, if that impacts your answer :tongue_smilie: )

Long story short, I'm pregnant and have been wearing my (ancient) normal coat, which will now no longer do up whatsoever. ;)

I only have 5 weeks or so to go, so I've been reluctant to buy a maternity coat - it feels like such a waste. Then I found the M Coat. It has a zip-out panel, so you can use it for maternity AND babywearing, then as a normal coat afterward. It has a lifetime guarantee on the workmanship. Other factors to consider: this will not likely be our last baby, so I may need a maternity coat again in the future. I'll be babywearing the remainder of this winter after the baby's born (and winter here goes until April) and probably part of next winter as well. And I need a new winter coat anyway.

This coat is ON SALE now for $380...it's usually $480. :eek:

Part of me is saying this seems like a reasonable proposition. But oh, the sticker shock! :svengo:

What says the hive?

Yes - I had this coat (very similar to this coat - zip in panel and all) -- I wore it for two pregnancies -- and then gave it to my oldest daughter and she wore it through two pregnancies -- and I wore it in between the pregnancies and so did she -- we definitely got my money's worth out of it.

If you are going to use it again, then I would say yes -- I thought it was money well spent.:)

I think that it really doesn't matter what everybody else would or wouldn't do. :) I don't mean that snarky- anything but. :)

Honestly, if you have the money and it's something you really fell that you would use, then I vote do it. If you're freezing every time you go outside now or worse yet, you're not going out at all then maybe it's something you should consider.

Have you tried it on for size to see how much you like it? Is there a store near you that sells them? I would hesitate to spend that much on something over the internet because size and fit can be such a big deal when buying a coat- let alone when pregnant! My biggest concern would be quality. A lot of coats call themselves winter coats but really aren't that great or warm.

FWIW, I've spent close to that much on a coat :o but it was North Face and rated beyond temperatures I hope to ever see in my lifetime.:lol: But it's darn warm and toasty, fits me perfectly and, well, very stylish. ;) People think I'm a bit odd for having bought such a warm coat, but when it does get cold, I can feel that much more smug. :tongue_smilie: That, and I can wear this every single winter, not just a few here and there.

I don't tend to spend a whole ton on maternity stuff (I do get nice stuff, but it's always from the clearance rack) because I find that as much as I LOVE it when I'm pg, it's the last thing I want to wear or look at once the baby is out. :tongue_smilie: Besides, you never know... you may end up being big and pregnant during the summer next time. :tongue_smilie: isn't that how things usually work out. LOL

Good luck with your decision.

Yes - I had this coat (very similar to this coat - zip in panel and all) -- I wore it for two pregnancies -- and then gave it to my oldest daughter and she wore it through two pregnancies -- and I wore it in between the pregnancies and so did she -- we definitely got my money's worth out of it.

If you are going to use it again, then I would say yes -- I thought it was money well spent.:)

That's what I was thinking - that for something so multi-purpose and long-lasting it would be worth the splurge. I seem to have shocked a lot of posters, though. ;)

I think that it really doesn't matter what everybody else would or wouldn't do. :) I don't mean that snarky- anything but. :)

Honestly, if you have the money and it's something you really fell that you would use, then I vote do it. If you're freezing every time you go outside now or worse yet, you're not going out at all then maybe it's something you should consider.

Have you tried it on for size to see how much you like it? Is there a store near you that sells them? I would hesitate to spend that much on something over the internet because size and fit can be such a big deal when buying a coat- let alone when pregnant! My biggest concern would be quality. A lot of coats call themselves winter coats but really aren't that great or warm.

FWIW, I've spent close to that much on a coat :o but it was North Face and rated beyond temperatures I hope to ever see in my lifetime.:lol: But it's darn warm and toasty, fits me perfectly and, well, very stylish. ;) People think I'm a bit odd for having bought such a warm coat, but when it does get cold, I can feel that much more smug. :tongue_smilie: That, and I can wear this every single winter, not just a few here and there.

I don't tend to spend a whole ton on maternity stuff (I do get nice stuff, but it's always from the clearance rack) because I find that as much as I LOVE it when I'm pg, it's the last thing I want to wear or look at once the baby is out. :tongue_smilie: Besides, you never know... you may end up being big and pregnant during the summer next time. :tongue_smilie: isn't that how things usually work out. LOL

Good luck with your decision.

You're right that it doesn't really matter what everyone else would do - just idle curiosity on a lazy night!

The key aspect that makes me consider this is that I COULD wear it every winter because it converts to a normal coat. They're highly reviewed and apparently very warm.

Thanks!

You've gotta do what makes you happy though. If you are happy after spending that much money on a coat, an item you won' outgrow, go for it.

:iagree: I totally agree.

Dh just bought me the most extravagent splurge today. When I thanked him, he just laughed and said... well, I knew you wouldn't be happy without it and when you're not happy, none of the rest of

us are. :tongue_smilie::001_huh:

Smart guy, that dh of mine. ;)

:lol::lol:

How long is winter where you live? That would impact my answer. For me personally, if I could afford it, and was planning to have more children, and lived where winter was long, that seems fairly reasonable, especially if I were planning on lotsa babywearing. :)

Eternal. :tongue_smilie:

I live in Ontario, and it can be winter-coat weather anywhere from October to April. :glare:

Oh! I had a similar coat for my last babe (who is 11 lol). The front panel zipped out, and you could put in back in when you wore the baby in the baby bjorn. So cute!!

My issue was that it was a total PITA to take the panel out and then put it back in. It also did not work with a sling, which I preferred.

It was super-warm, but it was too much trouble for me in the end.

Oh! I had a similar coat for my last babe (who is 11 lol). The front panel zipped out, and you could put in back in when you wore the baby in the baby bjorn. So cute!!

My issue was that it was a total PITA to take the panel out and then put it back in. It also did not work with a sling, which I preferred.

It was super-warm, but it was too much trouble for me in the end.

I was wondering that about a sling! (Also my preference) I suppose I can manage with a different carrier if I needed to go out in the cold, though.

Thanks for your perspective! :001_smile:

When I was frequently outdoors and was required to wear dresses for that job, I spent that much on a full length down coat and I have never regreted it. I would want to try it on and see it in person however before buying it. My main concern is not the price, although I couldn't afford it now, but rather how easy is it to launder?

When I was frequently outdoors and was required to wear dresses for that job, I spent that much on a full length down coat and I have never regreted it. I would want to try it on and see it in person however before buying it. My main concern is not the price, although I couldn't afford it now, but rather how easy is it to launder?

I seem to recall reading that it's machine washable and being very pleased about that, but now I don't see that on the website. Wishful thinking? :lol:

:iagree: For many of us, it would not be a wise use of the funds we have. Only YOU know your finances well enough to determine what's best for you! The coat looks nice and is a neat concept!:)

:iagree: For many of us, it would not be a wise use of the funds we have. Only YOU know your finances well enough to determine what's best for you! The coat looks nice and is a neat concept!:)

That's a good point. I probably should have phrased the question differently. It's obviously not a reasonable proposition in all situations.

Perhaps 'Does it sound like this coat would be WORTH the price?'

If you can afford it and you really think you would use it through multiple pregnancies, babywearing, and winters....then yes, I think it is worth it. You can easily pay $100 or $150 for a nice, warm coat. If you think it has the possibility of sitting in your closet, then no, definitely not. I would only get it if you can machine wash it at home.

Now down here in FL, I would definitely have no need for a coat like that LOL. However, I paid $400 for a stroller....so it's all in what you can afford and what your priorities are for where you live. If I lived where it is cold, a warm, versatile coat would definitely be a priority.

If I lived in Canada, I'd probably go for something like that. It looks like it would work for years. The colors I like are navy, black, hot chocolate, and raisin.

I'm in Texas though. I wear shorts year-round. I wear jeans maybe 20-30 days/year. A nice coat would be a complete waste here. I'm still using the same coat that I got over 20 years ago (wear it maybe 3-5x/year). I mostly use a polar fleece jacket because it isn't cold enough for a coat.

I got a cape for my 2nd pregnancy, that worked well for me and then I had a fun cape, something I would not have spent money on when I already had several good coats. After I became allergic to it (I am now allergic to polyester), I gave it to a pregnant friend who needed a coat.

It was fun having a cape for a while, but they are a pain to gather up out of the way of a car door.

I like that coat. I would like to see the other colors, but I love the versatility of the panel, the way it can be put in different ways for different purposes. I like the hood. I like the down warmness of it. I like that I would be able to use it as a regular coat during the years I didn't have a baby hanging on me, or hanging out in me. :)

If I lived in Canada, and I planned on baby wearing and more pregnancies, and I liked the styling enough to wear it for years and years, and it fit in my budget, then Yes. I would consider it a good purchase (especially for $100 off).

BTW, I just checked the Canadian-US currency exchange, and they're almost dollar for dollar right now.

I would pay that much for a classic-style coat with great workmanship that is likely to last a long time.

I used to be of the "buy whatever's cheapest and/or used" mindset, but I am seeing the difference now. I have a cousin with two daughters who passed their clothes down to my two girls. These were namebrand, nice, expensive clothes. After going through *my* two girls, they were still in great shape. In comparison, most of the cheaper clothes that we bought or others got them didn't make it through one girl without rips, stains, or being pulled out of shape.

My grandmother and aunts buy fewer clothes (on sale whenever possible!) but much better quality and wear them forever. They probably spend the same as many others who only buy cheap clothes (or regular thrift store clothes.) They also will buy good quality clothes used, too. Quality over quantity, but at the same (long-term) price. My brother wears wonderful, good quality clothes, but he also buys them at thrift stores.

So, back to the coat. If you can afford it, get it! Then, when you are done with it, either sell or pass it on to someone else. It might last 20-30 years or more.

Yes. If you like it, can afford it, and know that you will be baby-wearing the rest of this winter and part of next, then that is enough to justify it.

Since you also know you will likely be pregnant again and that the coat can be used even when you're not pregnant, then it justifies it even more...in my opinion.

Get the coat! :001_smile:

Nope. I'd spend up to $60 or $80 (in theory) on a coat. So, even if you had to buy two coats for $80 (a big one and a small one) each, that's still only $160.

Now in my real life (and not in theory), I like to spend $40 or less on a coat. I have "normal" winters here. Not super-duper freezing, but not warm either. Stays in the 20's and 30's for a few months with occasional 40's or teens. So, that might color my answer (if you have single digits all day long, maybe you need a more expensive coat--but I'm still thinking under $100.)

But that's my answer to just about anything. Used car. Small house. Cheap coat.

Edited by Garga

Guest RecumbentHeart
I would pay that much for a classic-style coat with great workmanship that is likely to last a long time.

I used to be of the "buy whatever's cheapest and/or used" mindset, but I am seeing the difference now. I have a cousin with two daughters who passed their clothes down to my two girls. These were namebrand, nice, expensive clothes. After going through *my* two girls, they were still in great shape. In comparison, most of the cheaper clothes that we bought or others got them didn't make it through one girl without rips, stains, or being pulled out of shape.

My grandmother and aunts buy fewer clothes (on sale whenever possible!) but much better quality and wear them forever. They probably spend the same as many others who only buy cheap clothes (or regular thrift store clothes.) They also will buy good quality clothes used, too. Quality over quantity, but at the same (long-term) price. My brother wears wonderful, good quality clothes, but he also buys them at thrift stores.

So, back to the coat. If you can afford it, get it! Then, when you are done with it, either sell or pass it on to someone else. It might last 20-30 years or more.

I have been learning this lesson as well. Being cheap has ended up costing me more so I'm learning when it's good to go cheap and when it would be better to invest the extra dollars. *sigh* I'm still learning.

Anyway .. All I can think of is Canada = COLD. I've never been there, that's just my impression. :D So I'm thinking that I can imagine spending that much on a coat that was of superior quality and versatility.

Haven't ready ANY of the replies ...

Having just heard that my niece found a $400 coat on ebay for $60, I would definitely search around first! And no, I wouldn't personally ever spend $400 on a coat. I'm not sure I would pay $60 either. :tongue_smilie:

In the $400-$500 range? (Canadian dollars, if that impacts your answer :tongue_smilie: )

Long story short, I'm pregnant and have been wearing my (ancient) normal coat, which will now no longer do up whatsoever. ;)

I only have 5 weeks or so to go, so I've been reluctant to buy a maternity coat - it feels like such a waste. Then I found the M Coat. It has a zip-out panel, so you can use it for maternity AND babywearing, then as a normal coat afterward. It has a lifetime guarantee on the workmanship. Other factors to consider: this will not likely be our last baby, so I may need a maternity coat again in the future. I'll be babywearing the remainder of this winter after the baby's born (and winter here goes until April) and probably part of next winter as well. And I need a new winter coat anyway.

This coat is ON SALE now for $380...it's usually $480. :eek:

Part of me is saying this seems like a reasonable proposition. But oh, the sticker shock! :svengo:

What says the hive?

I would buy it (especially since it's on sale). You need a good coat, no doubt. This will double (triple!) as a maternity coat, regular coat and still be good for wearing your babe. Consider it like 2 good coats, not one. What's the sense of buying a cheap plus size coat that won't last, then still having to buy a good regular coat later?

Sorry, I haven't read all the replies, so if this has gone off into some sort of drama, please forgive a response to the OP. :tongue_smilie:

Normally, no I would not spend that amount on a coat. BUT, I live in a climate with only a very short time where a heavy coat is needed.

But if I lived where you do, and presumably needed to wear a coat for many months in the winter, and it was suitable for both pregnancy and afterwards, AND it was adaptable for babywearing, AND you plan to have more children... then yeah, I would consider this to be a worthy investment.

Again, I make due with a Target coat when pregnant, and have only had one winter baby, but I do remember trying to bundle us both up while baby wearing and it wasn't really possible to do it well.

I'm not the type to spend hundreds of dollars on a purse, or really anything clothing related for myself. But for something so useful and practical and flexible of use, I think I could make a good case for spending the money, and not feeling guilty about it!

I would buy it (especially since it's on sale). You need a good coat, no doubt. This will double (triple!) as a maternity coat, regular coat and still be good for wearing your babe. Consider it like 2 good coats, not one. What's the sense of buying a cheap plus size coat that won't last, then still having to buy a good regular coat later?

Yes, if we had the funds for that type of purchase and were in your situation I almost certainly would.

A. You live in Canada.

B. It's not just for maternity but babywearing too!

C. It will convert to a normal coat.

D. It will last forever.

E. See A.

And this is from someone who can't recall spending more than $50 on any coat. :)

Do you think you will regret NOT getting it?

That is my general guide, when I am not quite sure about a purchase. If I think I will ever pine away about something, I usually get it.

When we went to Italy for the first time right after we got married (we had a 2 yo and 6 mo old...long story) there was a coat in the window of a shop that was the most amazing coat I had ever seen. My husband agreed. It was $800. We were considering getting it, but in the end, my frugal nature would not allow the splurge. Let's just say that we both regret not buying that coat. STILL. It is 10 years ago. We both still remember the coat, and we both agree that it was my ideal, perfect coat, and I would still be wearing it.

Usually I go to the thrift store, vintage or consignment shop for coats.... The styles I like are not normally "in style".

This has been my experience with clothes as well! Buying high-end stuff used or on clearance has saved me money in the long run, both for the kids and myself.