Menu

Kids coking

Some of you indicated that your kids do a lot of cooking, some making entire meals on their own. At what age did they start? Are they in the kitchen alone?

Dd is 11. I'm not comfortable with her using the kitchen knives or the stove yet.

Edited by Parrothead

My kids have helped me in the kitchen for years doing a lot of things--stirring, greasing pans, cracking eggs, measuring flour, etc.

They started cooking meals at about age 13 or so, simple ones, nothing too complicated. They can all follow recipes and know how to find substitutions when needed.

Now the oldest dd16 can make several different meals and loves to help out in the kitchen. Ds12 loves helping me out especially with baking. Dd14 really doesn't enjoy it, but, she's learning and can do some basic meals if needed. She'd rather fold clothes or clean and that works for us too!

Ds started around 8. I am no where near allowing him to be in the kitchen by himself for anything more than pancakes or mac & cheese. Likely he could be, but I A) don't care to spend any amount of time in the ER, and B) am not good with not handing out "I Told You So's" when a finger gets chopped off.

I do let him do his thing, I just watch very closely.

My kids have been helping me off and on since they were toddlers. My 8 year old uses a sharp knife to slice things regularly. My 11 y.o. made a full meal on his own when he was 7. My 8 y.o. just made a pumpkin pie entirely on her own (putting into and taking out of the oven herself).

I think age is irrelevant. Readiness depends on the child and it varies.

I suspect the appropriate age for this might vary with the child. I made boxed macaroni and cheese without supervision at age 9 (after having make it with supervision since age 7). My sister still needed supervision at 13 because she was spacey and would forget to turn the stove off or put a towel on a hot burner or something.

By 11 or 12 I could make a full meal, including using knives to cut veggies for salad. The main dishes I remember making (at that young age) were spaghetti, Hamburger Helper, "chipped beef gravy on toast," and meatloaf. I also remember baking desserts with mixes. My mom just started me helping her at a young age, and taught me the basics of boiling water/draining pasta, browning hamburger, using the stove, knife safety, etc. Once she was satisfied that I could do these things without any safety reminders from her, she cleared me to do it on my own. I was 13 before I was allowed to use the stove when she wasn't home, however. By the time I was 15 I had a good grasp of following more complicated recipes and could cook as well as many adults I know.

I loved cooking for my family. I think I made dinner several nights a week as a teen because my mom and dad worked long hours. My sister and I especially loved going all out making a fancy dinner for our parents' anniversary.

Coking...no

Cooking...yes. I've just started including my ds6 with helping out in the kitchen. He's nowhere near being able to handle knives or the stove himself but I'm hoping in a few years he'll be good help. He can, however, make a toasted cheese sandwich in the toaster oven. That skill's come in handy lately.

I remember making things like mac and cheese or frozen pizza when mom was gone for the day when I was 11-years-old.

My mom had my sister and I making entire meals (appetizer, salad, meal and dessert) by the time we were young teens.

My son is nearly 9. He loves to help in the kitchen. I don't see him being mature enough to cook unsupervised when he is 11, but I do hope he is by the time he is 15 or 16. We are going slow. He is currently cooking his way through a cookbook and he helps with menu planning and grocery shopping. (He is actually better at grocery shopping than I am. I get overwhelmed by all the selections. He can zero in on the exact product I normally buy/like.)

From about age 3 and up they've been my helpers. They rip lettuce leaves, count out items, stir, butter dishes, peel apples with the old-fashioned hand crank, etc.

Around age 6 or 7 (the boy), I taught them how to use the toaster oven and microwave. They cook toast, bagels, mini pizzas, reheat pizza, warm up soup, etc. They start learning how to crack an egg, measurements, make their own sandwiches, etc. I teach them how to use the coffee maker.

Around age 8, they started cooking their own eggs. I turn on the stove for them and supervise. I start them on knives; peeling potatoes & carrots, cutting up simple things that just require a rough chop (no dicing yet). They start using the hand chopper to chop up nuts and onions. They are making salad dressings completely on their own. They can make homemade sloppy joes, etc.

Around age 9, my daughter started using the electric griddle. She can make from-scratch pancakes, grilled cheese sandwiches, etc. She could put together a crock-pot meal for me.

Daughter is 11yo now and I still don't let her turn on the gas stove. It is really tricky. Once I turn it on though she can cook whatever. I also haven't let her use the oven yet but that is because it is a wall oven and she is just now tall enough to get into it without potentially hurting herself. Oh, and I just showed her how to use the new rice cooker.

So you can see where I've just gradually given them more and more responsibility.

Cooking for my dad & siblings one night a week while my mom went out to an evening event was one of my chores by age 10.

My 8 y.o. cooks simple things with supervision (though I still take food out of the hot oven/toaster for her). I started her in the Pearables Home Economics for Homeschoolers Level 1 curriculum when she was 6. My just-turned-5 y.o. loves to help with food prep.

Some of you indicated that your kids do a lot of cooking, some making entire meals on their own. At what age did they start? Are they in the kitchen alone?

Dd is 11. I'm not comfortable with her using the kitchen knives or the stove yet.

Oh, a fav topic of mine. :lurk5: (The only food smiley we have ).

My 11 can make a whole meal, and bake, although she needs a bit of help at times, and I do hang around when she is moving trays in and out of a hot oven. She loves to follow recipes, and she loves Depression Cooking with Clara on Youtube. lol Not the fanciest of cooking, but lots of fun, and good stories. My oldest dd makes a wonderful quiche, and empanandas (she likes doughs lol).

My 16 yr old has been cooking whole meals alone for a few years. He makes stews, pasta sauces, stir fry, baked mac & cheese from scratch etc. He likes to marinate things as well. Ha. All of my children are home, plus a friend from college, and so they are all in the kitchen making brushetta (from tomatoes, basil etc), and pasta, with sauce from scratch (with tomatoes I canned this summer). I smell garlic, onions , peppers. My oldest ds is making hummus with roasted red peppers, and I hear the blender going. Can you hear me type over the racket?:bigear: The youngest is mixing up pumpkin muffins.

I really hope they clean up well. :tongue_smilie:

PS. I tend to find recipes printed off the computer all over the house, and esp in bathrooms. ;)

PPS I just heard the 16 yr old ask the group, "I am going to add some portabella mushrooms, does anyoen object?" Sort of makes my heart melt.

Edited by LibraryLover

I not only leave my 12yo in the kitchen, but I usually move to an entirely different level of the house. His food is good, but my nerves can't handle watching the mess he makes! He's working on individual cooking methods right now, so no full meals yet.

I probably wouldn't let him debone a chicken or anything, but none of his recipes have called for more than a steak knife, and usually just a butter knife. He's not the most coordinated kid.

I'm okay with him using the oven. For the stove, I do need to be in the general area. We have a glass top, and he is definitely careless enough to place something on a still-hot burner, up to and including his own body parts. :tongue_smilie:

My 7 and 8yos are still limited to no-cook and microwave foods. My 8yo could probably do more, but then the 7yo would want to, and she's not ready at all. They grated a lot of cheese for me today, and did some mixing. ;)

we started early, helping 5-6ish, and at 8, they were making top raman, mac and cheese and brownies.

10, they started do eggs, omelets and french toast

now they can cook about anything I do at ages 11, 12 and 14.

except fried chicken (cause a woman has to have some secrets)

Tomorrow, they are doing

• cranberry sauce
  • turkey
  • mash potatoes
  • stuffing (yeah it's stove top)
  • Yams
  • peas/corn (in microwave)
  • and
  • roll (store bought)
  • and gravy (from a package)

it is their first on their own thanksgiving!! woo hoo!!

So you can see where I've just gradually given them more and more responsibility.

Dd can and does do many of the things your kids do. She makes a great line chef. I just don't let her near the heat and knives unsupervised yet. She can toast, microwave, make a sandwich. I do let her use the electric kettle to make cocoa and she was a big help when I was sick last week when she made my tea every few hours.

Cooking for my dad & siblings one night a week while my mom went out to an evening event was one of my chores by age 10.

My 8 y.o. cooks simple things with supervision (though I still take food out of the hot oven/toaster for her). I started her in the Pearables Home Economics for Homeschoolers Level 1 curriculum when she was 6. My just-turned-5 y.o. loves to help with food prep.

I suppose it has a lot to do with what a parent experiences. I didn't start helping out in the kitchen until I was 14 or so. It is foreign to me to think of dd doing much more than I let her do now.

I am getting over it pretty quickly though. I'm thinking maybe she can do some cookies for the upcoming yearly cookie bake marathon we usually have. And I think she needs to learn to load the crock pot.

I smell garlic, onions , peppers. My oldest ds is making hummus and I hear the blender going. Can you hear me type over the racket?:bigear: The youngest is mixing up pumpkin muffins.

Smells good. By 16 I was doing the same. It didn't take long once I started for my mom to pretty much abdicate the evening cooking. Not that she was lazy or anything. She and my father worked full time.

DD10 just made a batch of cookies with minimal help. She started around 7 and can cook eggs, pancakes and other baking items. She hasn't done much meal cooking yet but that's mostly because dh cooks it while she is at school and she goes straight to the gym after school. She searches for the right recipe online and in cookbooks.

DD8 usually helps dd10. I'm trying to encourage dd8 to do more independently but it is hard with her stronger willed sister.

I think ds4 will start pretty early. He loves to watch cooking shows on tv.

dss18 started learning around 8, too but when he moved back in with his mom I know he doesn't do much. His mom is one of those ones who eats out at restaurants 7 days per week.

Dss15 avoids cooking at all costs, except hot dogs.

Ds14 makes pancakes and grilled cheese on the griddle and can fry an egg on the stove.

Dd11 can make an omelet with fresh basil (gathered from our herb garden), chopped onions, and chopped pepperoni.

I am not in the kitchen when they cook, but I am within earshot.

I think they both started cooking unsupervised when they were about 9yo. It was hard for me to let them - I am the type to worry - but I want them to feel more empowered in the kitchen than I did as a child so I just grit my teeth and turn away. Of course, I taught them how to do these things and was right next to them the first 50 times.:D

ETA: I just remembered that dd11 made a dessert for a contest in October - Layered Mocha Cheesecake. I didn't help her one bit - she did it start to finish completely without me.

Edited by Kathleen in VA

Smells good. By 16 I was doing the same. It didn't take long once I started for my mom to pretty much abdicate the evening cooking. Not that she was lazy or anything. She and my father worked full time.

It does. :) Yk, I do enjoy cooking, but I can tell you that it thrills me hear my yongest ds say, "I'll make dinner tongiht' on the days he knows his sister and I will be in the city for ballet class. He did that twice last week. (He's a public school kid, can you imagine?!! lol) Like your mom, I am not lazy...just busy some afternoons. :)

My kids help me in the kitchen starting about age 2. (With very simple tasks). By 4 they can make sandwiches and basically things that are not requiring a knife or hot stove/oven. By 6 they can cook a couple of simple meals on the stove. By 9 they can use the oven. At 12 my girls can cook pretty much anything given a recipe.

One of my daughters and one of my sons both have an affinity for cooking. My DD makes the best homemade ranch dressing ever and DS makes a mean egg drop soup.

Edited by LaissezFaire

It depends entirely upon the amount of kitchen experience they have. My kids work alongside me in the kitchen fairly frequently. By age 11 they have been able to cook complete meals, and by age 13 they can make complete meals when I'm not home, as long as there's another kid present to call 911 if needed. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: By "full meal" I really do mean nice, non-kid-like meals.

Ex: Enchiladas made with homemade shredded chicken, sauce from scratch, refried beans from dry beans, mexican rice from scratch, and a lettuce and tomato salad.

Beef pot roast with gravy, baked potatoes, salad, and fresh steamed or sauteed vegetables.

Etc.

Edited by Julie in CA

I think mine started doing oatmeal on his own around 8 ?? And eggs shortly thereafter. From there he quickly went into other things...french toast, cookies, cakes.

He's been solo on knives, oven, recipes, full meals, own concoctions since 11 I guess. It's to the point of 'feels like it's always been so' so I can't remember for sure.

My now 11 yr old doesn't have 'quite' the same freedom as Eldest did, simply because he's....messier and small for his age, sometimes I forget/misjudge his actual ability/maturity. But he is now taking on knives here and there (I mean for other than cutting an apple or orange). He has also been allowed to take on a yeast bread recipe on his own...from start to finish, yeast foam to oven.

The 9 yr old is another story. He's my 'different' child in every way. I have a hard time *trusting* him. But yet, I cannot tolerate working with/teaching him in the kitchen either. He can do oatmeal and is allowed to assist in other things. He's followed recipes with supervision. But he has not yet been allowed use of the stove, oven, griddle without someone.

I'm *trying* to lighten up with him. He loves it and is very eager and honestly, is probably competent enough to handle eggs or mac & cheese on his own.

Then I'm trying to, again, work on my patience and work with my almost 7 yr old more so that she can move beyond microwaved oatmeal and toaster and sandwich maker usage. ;)

My 12yo dd can cook an entire meal if I need her to. Her twin can maybe make a grilled cheese and heat up some soup, or make some not so pretty eggs or pancakes. Ds (14) can cook, but he's messy and a little uncoordinated still. They have been in the kitchen doing things w/ me since they were small- definitely since age 4. I cooked myself bacon and eggs at 3, and by 5 I was inventing my own recipes. But that's just me. So, it just depends on the kid. :D

My two cook including using the stove, and knives. They have helped in the kitchen since they were around 4-5. I talk to them all the time about safety, what not and what to do.

I make. She bakes entirely on her own with absolutley no input from me. She can handle anything for breakfast as well. The only thing that keeps her from doing all I do is that I make alot that is completely in my head. I don't consult a recipe for about 50% of what I make, so for some of the standards, I have to call ingredients out to her. :001_smile: She can make a white sauce now since she has seen me do it 5000 times. My next in line dd 9 isn't nearly as capable nor as interested but she did mix up the pumpkin pies by herself today. She is so tiny, she is just getting comfortable with counter height. :lol:

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I started really letting my oldest use knives and the stove at 9 with my supervision. He does scrambled eggs, mac-n-cheese from scratch, grilled cheese, waffles, pancakes, bacon (in the oven,) cookies, cake, and spaghetti. He also helps me chop veges. He cannot peel carrots or potatoes without cutting himself, so I quit letting him.

My 6yo can break an egg and stir it, measure and pour for baking, and make toast. My 6yo does pretty well at peeling carrots and potatoes, so I let him do this with my close supervision.

My 2yo also cracks eggs in a bowl and stirs them.

i actually started letting my kids use knives and cook with supervision before they were in kindergarten. Early exposure and letting them "try it" has led to all my kids being able to cook. DD16 can't follow a recipe to save her life without leaving out something important, but she's a great fly-by-the-seat-of-the-pants cook.

I started doing my own thing when I was about 8 or 9, but when I was a teen, a friend's younger brother (who was deemed perfectly capable in the kitchen at 8 or 9 - I forget exactly how old) accidentally tipped a pot of boiling pasta water on himself while taking it off the stove, so I may be a little too hyper sensitive about it. My kids help me, and make things that do not require them to use the stove. We are going to start letting out 7 yo help more with the cooking because he asked for his big project of the year to be "cooking a whole meal".

DD14 has been cooking full meals on her own since she was 12 (main course, starch, veggie, and salad). She is very comfortable in the kitchen and loves to cook. Right now we only let her bake and make simple items like pasta when we are not home only because her littlest brother would try to "help" and she's not ready to balance complicated cooking and little brother management yet. ;)

Dd12 can cook basic meals on her own (pasta, hot dogs, salads and dressings, grilled sandwiches) but still feels unsure of herself and prefers to have dh or I in the kitchen with her in case she needs a hand or a pep talk.

Ds10 is more capable than he thinks, but we do not yet allow him to cook unsupervised. He can put together non-cook meals well independently.

Ds7 can get everyone cold breakfasts, make hot drinks with the Keurig, and makes a mean PBJ. He hasn't graduated to unsupervised knife usage yet. :D I'm not sure when I'll be ready for that.

Edited by Tutor

It is so nice to be loved. :001_wub:

It is! :)

Parrothead asked when.

And I will offer that it's difficult to know exactly. We are lucky in that our last two kitchens did spill over in to the dinning area, so we are -Like, You Know, Always in the Kichen, Like. In our old house, we had our desktop, and several bookshelves in the kitchen area as well. We were/are always in the kitchen area. We also have all of our art supplies in the kitchen, so, you know, we hardly need another room. lol When they were younger, they could work in there with 'supervision'. ;) I could read, be on the computer, yet still be *right there*. One of the first things my youngest ever prepared was a recipe from the SOTW Activity Book 1... about 7 years ago, which means she was about 4. Her sister would have been just turning 10, and her hs brother was about 9. I remember because she was the one most interested. Her sibs were all 'meh'. I don't recall what it was, even lookinng at the pix...lol. It's on a cookie sheet. ???

Edited by LibraryLover

In the microwave or on the stove?

Stove. We didn't have microwaves back then. :lol: I just pulled the chair up to the stove and starting cooking. My aunt was staying w/ us, and woke up, stood in the kitchen and watched. :D I was hungry. And very independent(my mom would say stubborn and rebelious, but....whatever)

It really does depend on the child - each has their own "readiness" stage. I started with mine when he was about 8, now at 13 he cooks full meals on a weekly basis and helps with meal planning. He chose most of our Thanksgiving dishes, helped me shop for them, and is helping me prepare them. He actually could prepare most of it himself, it's just fun to do it together. :)

His cousin, who's 8 mos. younger than him, isn't even allowed IN my kitchen. Not even kidding. He's a sweet kid, but can't focus for beans (or doesn't care to, not sure which), and I'm just not that into ER visits.

Your whole post melts my heart a little. :001_smile:

How sweet are you? :) The young people who mucked about my kitchen tonight were so lovely and fun, and funny. :)

I hope that anyone who was little children today, and is beyond exhausted, might see to the future...welcome your littles into the kitchen---one day they may be amazingly interesting young adults --who muck about your kitchen--sharing thier lives, and their dreams.

Sounds corny...perhaps...yet...wow...here they are, delightful, eager, and interesting... beyond my wildest dreams. :001_smile:

Stove. We didn't have microwaves back then. :lol: I just pulled the chair up to the stove and starting cooking. My aunt was staying w/ us, and woke up, stood in the kitchen and watched. :D I was hungry. And very independent(my mom would say stubborn and rebelious, but....whatever)

Wow!

My kids have been using sharp knives from a young age (3) because I read something back then that suggested that kids could learn from very young to use knives. I am glad I did..I trusted them, they learned very quickly what a sharp knife can do, and their natural instinct for self preservation prevented them hurting themselves. So that's never been an issue.

They have not had a lot of interest in cooking, however, and have really only started cooking meals- basic meals- after about age 11 or so (again, the self preservation instinct kicked in- either make yourself a meal, some days, or have cereal).

My ds turned 10 yesterday. He wants to be a chef, one who is also a musician and bridge-builder. (Or a bridge-builder who is a chef and musician, or so on.) Love 10! :D

Alone, he can bake cookies and cakes, make smoothies and hummus and pesto, and fix breakfast (say, toast--eggs--fruit) on his own. He can almost make a couple soups and he can make pancakes alone but usually likes to work together.

He is an amazing assistant in the kitchen, and is working toward learning to cook a few simple meals alone over the next year. He helped me make the pumpkin pies tonight and helped his dad make the pie crusts. Two weeks ago, he was reading a cookbook for fun and asked his dad to help him make a chocolate hazelnut torte!

Knife safety: He carelessly cut himself pretty good with his pocketknife about a year ago and has been an exemplary knife user since. He must ask permission and an adult must be in the kitchen. If he's not sure how to cut something safely, he asks. It's great having another person to chop veggies while I cook.

Oh, and when....

~Ds10 has loved being in the kitchen with us since he was 2. He's always liked to help cook. I started turning him loose, completely independent, on hummus and pesto when he was 8ish. We'd get basil in our garden box, then he'd smell it when I put the bag in the car and shout, "BASIL! Mom, can I make pesto?"

~His sisters started baking around...11-12?...and our oldest did a whole cooking unit on Italian food, which included cooking lessons from her father, at age 13, at which point she was able to be completely independent in the kitchen.

~His younger brothers like to help in the kitchen, since about age 2, but haven't pushed for the kind of independence he's always asked for. They are my sensory-picky eaters, so they aren't as motivated to try new flavors and create their own food.

I think it helps that....

He likes food.

His father cooks, and he wants to be like Dad.

We talk food. We have friends and family who like to cook, and we often talk cooking.

And now his interest is reinforcing itself because family and friends know he likes to cook, so they talk cooking and food with him.

I start teaching them as toddlers, letting them help with what ever they can. Right now, I am disabled. The other day, I was in bed, unable to get up and needed some lunch. My DD9 made me a chicken breast by herself. She had to thaw it in the microwave, cut it up on a cutting board, season it, put it in a pan with oil and saute it till it was done. It turned out perfect. She also puts things in the oven by herself, but I am there to watch her take them out.

By age 13 I was cooking family dinners. Simple dinners,but all from scratch and testing new recipes. I LOVE too cook and my 3 and 6 year old love to help me in the kitchen. My 3 year old cuts mushrooms (with a dinner knife, not sharp), she measures my rice, flour and such dry ingredients and cracks eggs for me. My 6 year old does the same and she will shred cheese or chop veggies using a steak knife (not so sharp, but still gets the job done). I am right there to help and show the best way to do it. They are slow in cutting and very careful.

I don't expect them to help out, but they like it. When they are ready to try something new they will ask. If they are capable I will let them try and I am always there to help.