Menu

If you could only have 1 Christmas cookie...

If you could only have 1 Christmas cookie what would it be? What is your absolute, must-have, it is not Chrismas without this cookie, cookie? And can you share/link the recipe? I need some new ideas. :001_smile:

My all-time favorite is the Mexican Wedding Cookie. This is the recipe I use.

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/mexican-wedding-cookies-681933/

If I could only eat one Christmas cookie, I would just fall over in despair.

That's all.

(My favorites are gingerbread cookies. And sugar cookies. And those little cookies with the Hershey's kiss pressed in. And shortbread fingers with peppermint flavoring. And....)

Cat

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I don't believe in cookie descrimination. All cookies are welcome and highly encouraged here.

we make gingerbread cookies with red-hot cinnamon candies on them...sounds weird but they are FABULOUS!

They are very labor intensive, so we only make them around Christmas.

:iagree:

They're also good w/ cream cheese frosting, or--my new favorite as of last year--pumpkin butter. :svengo:

(Now, this is assuming that the chocolate is taken care of in some other form. Not to be neglected, as that would result in the derailment of Santa & all that is good.)

We have to make all these. It isn't a choice. :D

Cut-out iced sugar cookies

Toffee Bars w/ crushed pecans on top

Mexican Wedding cookies

Haystacks

Peanut Butter Blossoms

Ted's Favorite Cookies

Ted's Favorite Cookies

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup light corn syrup

1 cup peanut butter

1 tsp vanila

6 cups crisp rice cereal

1 pkg milk chocolate chip

In large dutch oven on low/ med heat melt sugars together, add peanut butter and stir till well combined and shiny. DO NOT BOIL or your cookies will be dry and hard. Add cereal, stir to combine, dump into a greased pan and spread evenly. (I use my oven's broiler pan bottom for this. It's bigger then a 9X13 but not as big as a cookie sheet. Works perfectly.) Dump chips on top and pop into 300 degree oven till melted. Spread over cookies. Cool and cut.

My Mom's butter cookies with frosting. I like these much better than frosted sugar cookies.

Old Faithful Butter Cookies

1 lb. butter (4 sticks)

6 cups flour

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. vanilla

1 tsp. almond flavoring

Mix butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and almond flavoring until creamy. Add flour and baking powder. Roll out and cut with cookie cutters. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Do not grease pans. Cool & frost cookies. Makes about 7 dozen cookies.

Frosting:

I don't have exact amounts, as we always made it from scratch without a recipe. But it's basically 1 stick softened butter or margarine, vanilla (about 1 tsp.), powdered sugar, milk & food coloring.

The peanut butter cookies that are rolled in sugar and have a Hershey Kiss popped in the middle.

We call them Shove-A-Kiss cookies at our house, but no one has a clue what I'm talking about so I describe them as above. In my version the cookie part is very peanut buttery and still soft.

They are great all the time, but when the chocolate part is still warm and melt-y they are even better.

Russian Tea Cakes or whatever name you want to call them.

It is the first Christmas cookie I remember making and we called them Butterballs as that was their name in my Mom's old cookbook.

I take them to a cookie exchange every year and someone always wants me to bring in the extras!

I guess it would be the Christmas sugar cookie recipe from my mom. They are not soft, but on the crunchy side with a hint of nutmeg. We don't frost them but decorate with everything from colored sugar to red hots, raisins even for buttons on snowmen, colored decorating candies, etc. before we put them in the oven.

Am I allowed to say what else I really can't be without?

Snickerdoodles and M&M cookies :)

Peanut. Butter. Blossoms.

:drool:

Yep.

My mom makes the original kind, with the milk as one of the ingredients, but I think they are too hard, so I just make a pb cookie and add in a kiss. I don't like the kind with "hugs" (the kisses that are white choc and milk choc swirled).

Oh, and my secretly favorite way of eating them is to have one that is still pretty warm--the kiss melts, except for the very tip. You take the tip and use it to smear the chocolate around the circle of peanut butter cookie, and then eat it.

And now I have officially revealed entirely too much personal information.

Edited by Chris in VA

My dh's family is Dutch, and it's a rite of passage to learn to make the special family recipe. They are expected every Christmas, and though they're extremely time-consuming to make, it's fun to gather together with other ladies to make them. They require a pizelle iron to make, or a waffle-cone maker, though I make mine on an electric iron from Holland that's made especially for the purpose of making these cookies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroopwafel

we make gingerbread cookies with red-hot cinnamon candies on them...sounds weird but they are FABULOUS!

They are very labor intensive, so we only make them around Christmas.

Do you use a gingerbread man type recipe and just press red-hots in them? I love gingerbread. I get tired of decorating them. This sounds intriguing.