Menu

Can we get a role call of people who suffer from chronic pain and/or health problems.

If you don't mind could you mention what you have, how long you have had it, how much it interfers with your daily life and if you have had success with any kind of treatment and if so what.

I have fibromyalgia that was diagnosed in 2002. No successful treatment of any kind.

Chronic back pain since about the same time. I take a prescription anti-inflammatory for this plus pain meds as needed. I also see a chiropractor, message therapist and do specific exercise for my problem. This seems to keep it under control pretty well. When it doesn't, I get a cortisone shot.

High blood pressure. Mine is actually not very high but it does spike when I am in pain. Given my family history my doc (and family) prefer I take meds (Diovan) for this. They seem to work well and I don't have any side effect.

IC. I have had this since I was about 13 years old. It comes and goes. I now take Elmiron which is fairly new med. It also works well and doesn't cause and side effects.

ADD, OCD & bi-polar disorder. It is impossible to adaquetly treat all of these well at the same time. I take Lamictal and Trileptal for the bi-polar. They are both anti-seizure meds that also work really well for bi-polar. It also seems to help with the OCD which is an added bonus. Unfortuntely, these meds make the ADD worse and I can't treat for that because the meds for that make me really cranky and prone to mania. I have Seroquel (an anti-psychotic) for back up during manic phases.

Severe insomnia is by far the biggest problem I have. If I don't sleep enough or at all, it makes the pain worse which makes it harder to sleep and which in turn makes the pain worse causing a vicious spiral that is really hard to pull out of. Lack of sleep also has major effects on my bi-polar. It can drive me into a manic phases which of course makes it hard to sleep and therefore feeds into the vicious cycle above. I take Ambien to sleep. Sometimes it works, other times is doesn't.

I also get migraines which I do not treat at all. I really hate taking all these meds because they make me spacey as h*ll and seem to make the fatigue ever worse. I just don't want to take any more and they usually only last a day or two. I am not really sure but I also think that there may be a conflict between the meds for migraine and the ones for bi-polar.

Finally, I am still dealing with the recent bout of nausea. I adjusted my meds and felt better for a few days but then it was back with a vengence. I am planning to get in to see the doc soon. Hopefully he can help.

The IC and high blood pressure don't interfer with my daily life but the rest do. I frequently find that I can't get done the things I want to do. Pretty basic things like read and write and sometimes even basic housework. I am writing this post because I am exhausted but I can't go to sleep yet. So I have to find something to keep me awake until the children's bedtime at 9:00. I am having a really hard time of it right now.

My problems aren't nearly as bad as yours. I've had chronic back pain - supposedly from the way my legs move. The dr's said the best thing for exercise would be biking. While biking I seemed to have injured my achilles. I have been dealing with tendonitis in my achilles for several months now. It's terrible because I can't do anything but walk and that is limited when my achilles starts hurting too much. The dr. is worried I will tear it so she wants me to be careful. The result is I have gained a lot of weight over the past two years and see no resolution in sight.

I have thyroid disease as well as ovarian cysts. I also get migraines from time to time and around "that time" of the month.

I don't take any prescription medication, but do supplement iodine (drops) and stay far far FAR away from soy and overly processed foods.

It really does interfere with daily life because I am constantly reading labels and I have constant pelvic pain. It's not sharp pain, but a dull ache that never really goes away no matter what I do. I have taken prescription pain pills, but just feel high as a kite...not fun w/ 4 kiddos and a DH to keep up with.

:grouphug: to all that post about their problems.

Chronic back pain here. I had spinal fusion surgery in September 2001 and now have 6 screws in my lower back. The disc right above the fusion has collapsed and now the two vertabra are rubbing against each other and are constantly inflamed. I take ibuprofen - 800mg - or Aleve, but would prefer narcotics. Only thing is I have to go to the doctor to get the Rx and I hate going to the doctor. So I just put up with it.

I have had three cortizone injections that seemed to help a little, but not worth the inconvenience of dh having to take off work to get me to the doctor and also not worth the excruciating pain of the injection. Not to mentiont that I have to sign a waiver of responsibility if I should die during the procedure. Nice.

I am ok as long as I don't do anything. Ugh. When I do any housework or drive or go shopping I am soon in a lot of pain. It's just the way things are and the way things are stinks.

I've learned to just look past it so I can get stuff done. By the end of the day I am on the sofa reading or here at the boards checking out all the doings and goings on. Lots of times I'm here at the beginning of the day and all through the day as well.:D

Chronic back pain here. I had spinal fusion surgery in September 2001 and now have 6 screws in my lower back. The disc right above the fusion has collapsed and now the two vertabra are rubbing against each other and are constantly inflamed. I take ibuprofen - 800mg - or Aleve, but would prefer narcotics. Only thing is I have to go to the doctor to get the Rx and I hate going to the doctor. So I just put up with it.

I have had three cortizone injections that seemed to help a little, but not worth the inconvenience of dh having to take off work to get me to the doctor and also not worth the excruciating pain of the injection. Not to mentiont that I have to sign a waiver of responsibility if I should die during the procedure. Nice.

I am ok as long as I don't do anything. Ugh. When I do any housework or drive or go shopping I am soon in a lot of pain. It's just the way things are and the way things are stinks.

I've learned to just look past it so I can get stuff done. By the end of the day I am on the sofa reading or here at the boards checking out all the doings and goings on. Lots of times I'm here at the beginning of the day and all through the day as well.:D

:grouphug: My mom has had two spinal fusions (along with something else with a name I cannot remember) and the second had complications which required them to go back in. It was horrible watching her go through the recovery process. The drs have already told her she cannot do a third but she will most likely need one within the next 10 years because of the conditon of her spine. I know she feels so horrible when she gets to point of just sitting around. She's joked the only good thing about those times is she gets to use her handicapped parking permit since its so difficult to even get groceries. :grouphug:

The law has restrictions and how much narcotics they can proscribe at a time. SO I see my dr. once every six months and then he just calls in my precription that rest of the months. I think it helps that I have been using the same dr for seven years now. Maybe your doc can do the same?

Do you notice any improvement after the surgery?

The law has restrictions and how much narcotics they can proscribe at a time. SO I see my dr. once every six months and then he just calls in my precription that rest of the months. I think it helps that I have been using the same dr for seven years now. Maybe your doc can do the same?

Do you notice any improvement after the surgery?

You know, I've never really explored the possibility of asking the doctor to call the Rxs in. I'm not sure how that works but I will check into it. I've known this doctor for 25 years - my husband works for him as his office cleaner, so perhaps there is a chance he could do that for me.

I did notice an improvement after the surgery but it was shortlived. It is very common for people with spinal fusion surgery to experience what I have with the collapsing of the disc above the fusion. Then another surgery is suggested and then it happens again. I think they have improved on this since I had my surgery, but that is where I am personally. I could opt to have another surgery but I don't want to go through that again (incredibly painful to recover) just to have another disc collapse and repeat the whole process again.

I have just survived thyroid cancer. :001_smile: For six years I have suffered from IBS and endometriosis. Had surgery to remove the endo. It had grown and adhered to my uterus, tubes, ovaries, intestines and bladder. I was bent over in pain for years. Did school from my bed. After the surgery, it was like a new me. One year later, the all too familiar pains came back. That's when the gyn said, "Oh yeah, it can grow back." :glare: Don't know if I want to go through that again. During the first surgery, I had two heart attacks.

:grouphug: My mom has had two spinal fusions (along with something else with a name I cannot remember) and the second had complications which required them to go back in. It was horrible watching her go through the recovery process. The drs have already told her she cannot do a third but she will most likely need one within the next 10 years because of the conditon of her spine. I know she feels so horrible when she gets to point of just sitting around. She's joked the only good thing about those times is she gets to use her handicapped parking permit since its so difficult to even get groceries. :grouphug:

Thanks for the sympathy and the hugs. And, yes, grocery shopping is particularly annoying. I end up draped over the cart by the time I get to the checkout. Actually, it's nice to have a cart to drape over.:) I always take a helper to do all the lifting and stuff.

Diagnosed with fibromyalgia 17 years ago. Diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 years ago. Diagnosed with adrenal fatigue 2 years ago too.

I am on a health mission and am finally getting better at least for the moment. (I qualify that not because I'm a pessimist but because I've gotten better in the past for a number of months and then have slid into getting worse again. . .)

What has helped me with the fibromyalgia?

1. An elimination diet which showed multiple food intolerances. Avoiding those foods did help at the time. But it was more of a measure of my general immune system function than a specific fix for fibromyalgia because the food intolerances were gone and my fibromyalgia pain wasn't.

2. A diagnosis of a severe vitamin D deficiency. High doses of vitamin D has helped.

3. Natural thyroid meds. for my thyroid. Also selenium.

4. 5 HTP 100 mg and melatonin 2 mg at night for sleep. (Research this carefully because from what I've read you cannot safely use the 5-HTP with some SSRI's.)

5. A 2 month regimen to get rid of parasites. This was tough - I felt nauseated, achy and had to run to the bathroom a lot during that time. It also lowered my immune system because my body had to fight the parasites and didn't have much left over to fight the various and sundry bugs floating around. Amazingly though this has improved my sleep (perhaps the parasites were active at night?:confused:) and has improved my energy levels.

6. An adrenal diet. Basically it is 5 small balanced meals a day with veggies and protein at each meal. No or very low amounts of fruit. The idea is to keep a very even bloodsugar level. This has helped me tremendously! I used to have a low bloodsugar crash (and no, I'm not diabetic) almost once a day. Now I've only had 2 in the 7 weeks since I started the diet. This allows me to be able to exercise which is important because my muscles are very weak.

How it interferes with life depends on how severe my health problems are at the moment. I've had times when I've been an invalid and could only crawl across the floor. I've had times (like now) when I'm pretty normal. On the above list, numbers 4, 5 and 6 are new (last 6 months) and so I do not know the long-term effects they will have on my health.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
added info.

High Blood Pressure: Controlled by medication. I think it does interfere with life. I have to watch what I eat(no salt). I am a person who likes to just eat what I want.

IBS: DX in 2007. Medication. Does not interfere at all. Thank goodness for Librax.

Depression/anxiety: This is something that is a real struggle. Especially the anxiety. I do take meds. But that is just to get me to relax. I still need to re-train my brain to think rationally.

Iron Deficiency Anemia: Just DX last month. Two IV Iron infusions that did NOT go well. First time sick as a dog, second time I passed out cold. Do not have, or did not have any symptoms of Anemia. And still do not.

Wow, looking at this makes me look like I am falling apart in my early 40's. Geez. :glare:

Well, I don't know what the "umbrella diagnosis" for my situation is. I have 16 dxes not counting multiple female related ones. Additionally, I've had a few (like Fibro) which were dx'd then taken away. My issues effect my brain, heart, lungs, muscles, joints, skin, senses and probably something I forgot. LOL

I cannot describe the pain, weakness, pressure, twitching, etc well enough. Sometimes it's a bit more mild and sometimes it's bad enough to consider the unthinkable. My moods fluctuate with the how effected I am. The best time since I was 17 was last September. Unfortunately, it was short lived.

As for when it started? I had a significant switch at 17, right after having my first child (though from certain memories and from what my mom has told me, I probably had some symptoms younger). By 19, I was disabled because of it.

Nothing works even short term. And usually treating one issue exasperates another. Additionally, my brother and father also struggle with their health. My son has difficulties that may or may not be related. My daughter is significantly effected, much moreso than I was during my teens.

My hope is in scripture where I learned I may struggle in this system, but know that we'll soon have "the real life" where I can be forever in peace. I so look forward to that time!

I have endometriosis, poly-cystic ovarian syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome, insulin resistance and anxiety. I don't have daily pain, more like weekly. I have had surgery for the endo once before and will be doing it again coming soon. I will not do the hormonal therapy. My mother wants me to have a hysterectomy, but, at 30, I feel it is too soon and still hold out hope for pregnancy. I just take pain meds and deal as best as I can.

The pcos makes it incredibly difficult to get pregnant. Pcos and insulin resistance go hand in hand. I take Glucophage/metformin. To get dd I had clomid, injections, and an IUI. The meds cause physical pain and bad mood swings, but mostly it is 'emotional pain.'

The IBS is the most prevalent annoyance and I have been on 2 different meds when they were recalled, so, I am a little 'med-shy' now. Nothing seems to help. I have tried dietary changes, added fiber, taken miralax and still struggle with it. Part of the problem is old scar tissue from the endo holding my intestines in weird twists. I had a colonoscopy that really sucked. I kept waking up in pain during the procedure. The dr said next time they will use a pedriatic scope to make it better, but I do not look forward to it!!

Anyway, I consider myself blessed compared to what I know others go through. My mother has RSD and fibromyalgia. Drs kep testing her for multiple sclerosis but it never comes out positive. I have seen what she goes through and my prayers are with you guys who deal with these types of conditions.

Migraines: These have gotten significantly better as I have gotten older. When I do have one, I am out of commission for at least two days.

Chronic neck pain: This is due to an injury that happened during the delivery of my last child. I have 4 bulging discs and arthritis. My neurosurgeon has wanted to send me for steroid injections for two years, but I have refused, so far. It has actually gotten much much better over the last year. I know what makes it flare up, so I avoid those things. When I do have a flare-up, I treat it with huge doses of Motrin, ice/heat, and rest. If that doesn't work, I head to the doctor for stronger drugs, although that is really rare.

Bipolar type 2: I was recently diagnosed after 8 years of inadequate treatment by my FP doc. I am now seeing a psychiatrist, and we are working hard on getting a medication regime worked out. Right now, my biggest problem is hypomania and high levels of anxiety. But I am feeling better than I have felt in a long time.

Insomnia: This mostly stems from the anxiety associated with the above.

Lucky me.........

Thyroid Issues since I was 15

Scoliosis-dealing with since I was a young child, back surgery in mid 30's

Herniated disk in neck

Hallux rigidus in foot-need surgery but I am too chicken, I can only wear slip on sneakers :confused:

Osteonecrosis in my knee (aka dead bone)-leaves doctors shaking their heads in amazement, knee replacement at some point (aka when I become brave enough to do it)

Remember the show the Bionic Man? We can rebuild him, better, stronger.......

I have migraines. Toprimax seems to slow them down and I do take zomig. I seem to get them when I'm tired and too much is going on.

I fell off a horse in college and deal with low back stuff.

Gallbladder removed and had a pulmonary embolism last year.

All this is manageable and then I started to loose my hearing. It seems I have an Acoustic Neuroma and I'm not happy! It's a tumor on the cranial nerve connecting the brain to the ear. To make it even more complicated it's right next to the facial nerve. So now I'm so special and don't live near any place that treats these regularly. Boo Hoo.

I have coronary artery disease. I do not have high cholesterol or high blood pressure or a family history of heart disease. The cause of my disease is a mystery -- some cardiologists think my body does not process cholesterol properly.

I had a double bypass when I was 46 years old, when doctors discovered that two arteries were 95% and 97% blocked, and one was the left main coronary artery. The docs couldn't figure out how I was still alive. Two months later, I had to have a stent put in to another artery, and an agioplasty on yet another.

I cannot lift more than 10 lbs., shovel snow or rake leaves, paint walls, or do anything that involves using my arms a lot.

The treatment I've had the most success with, other than drugs, has been a diet which consists of whole grains, very little meat (beef is especially bad), very little dairy, very low fat (especially saturated fat), low salt, and lots of vegetables.

I gained a lot of energy when I began this diet 6.5 weeks ago. Before that, a weekly trip to the grocery store would result in my having chest pain and pressure halfway through the store. I could not work steadily, physically (like doing housework) more than 15 minutes at a time, and if I ran out of energy, it was like my battery had completely drained. I would be moving one minute and would be unable to do anything the next minute and would have to lie down for hours to recuperate. I feel much better now.

I also take Lipitor, Lisinopril, Metoprolol, and an aspirin every day, along with lots of supplements. I am working very hard to stay on this diet plan, and will add exercise as soon as time allows, because I do feel better. To put it succinctly, I am not afraid on a several times a day basis, that I will die of a sudden heart attack. I may do that someday, but at least I don't feel like I'm at death's door during every waking hour.

The other thing I have is vision problems. I cannot drive at night. I may have a retina problem too because if I switch off a light and the room is either totally dark or with just enough light to see to navigate, a curtain goes over my vision and I cannot see much through it. It is hard to describe. The guy who tested my eyes for glasses thinks I need to have my retinas checked out.

Edited by RoughCollie

Migraines -they are usually hormonal at this point and I just suffer through the day and take a vicodin at night to sleep it off sometimes if i'm lucky that works and it will only last a day. But usually it's a two-day process.

Hypothyroidism - I take levoxyl -

Bipolar 2 - I take topomax, which helps with the migraines as well b/c I'd get them much more frequently without it. I still have mood swings - highs, lows but I'm more tolerable. I'm more manageable.

For some reason over the last two years, when my hypothyroidism came back, my body also hurts off and on - like a general aching in bones, i have this weird tingling in my hands when I'm overly stressed. Stress affects my entire body in a very physical way. Me and valium are bff's.

Insomnia is a problem for me on occasion so I occasionally take a sleeping pill.

My biggest issue is fibromyalgia. I believe I've had it for a long time but it's been the last couple of years that it has been more severe. I am not taking any medications for it other than Advil right now. My doctor put me on a trial of Cymbalta, but it didn't seem to help with the pain, and the side effects were bothersome, so I stopped it. I have daily pain, sometimes severe, sometimes mild. Affects all parts of me, especially my upper arms, chest and back.

Anxiety - I have had generalized anxiety disorder since I was a teen. I am on Lexapro for this (7 years now). Doing fine in terms of day-to-day functioning.

Sleep apnea - I use a CPAP. I still have some issues with sleep - I'm tired frequently and need naps, and then have trouble sleeping at night.

Psoriasis - was born with this. Not so much a problem now. I treat my scalp with a prescription topical medicine.

Plantar fasciitis (sp?) - causes some foot and heel pain. I can't do brisk walking. I need to do stretching exercises but I'm lazy.

I used to have severe GERD too, but since I've lost some weight, that has pretty much gone away :D

Did I forget anything? :lol: I find life very challenging at times, I admit. My motto is "Excelsior!" and I pray a lot. I would love to not be in so much pain. I feel badly that I can't do as much with home & school stuff that I would like to do.

I have a blown L5 disk. I have taken 10 of the past 18mths of work. I have seen my PCP, a physiatrist, 1 hip specialist, 2 massage therapists, 1 Chiropractor, 1 neurologist/physiatrist, 4 PTs, 3 neurosurgeons, 1 pain specialist/anesthesiologist....all in 18mths. Today, I met with the head of neurosurgery at a large teaching/research hospital near by to help me made some decisions about my care.

With no intervention, my pain makes me unable to walk.:001_huh: With PT (finally found a great one), meds (Celebrex, Savella, flexeril) and minimal activity I am functioning okay.:)

I am in the approval process for a spinal cord stimulator (permanent implanted TENS unit) to manage the pain. I have the trial approved and am waiting for final approval. Just the basic implantation is $130,000. Thankfully, I have insurance :001_smile:

I only have 2 problems that I am aware of.

The first is Lupus. I was diagnosed with it in 1998. We are pretty certain that I have had it all my life as I was diagnosed with Juvenile Arthritis when I was around 8. When I am in a flare, it is really bad. Thankfully, I don't have any major organs involved. Mine is mostly arthritis, which tends to be located in my hips, back, knees and neck. I actually have foraminal narrowing in my neck, which causes very severe daily headaches.

I also have Fibromyalgia. This was just diagnosed last October. The pain with the fibro is very comparable to the pain with the lupus, so there are many times I am unsure which is causing what. My doctor did put me on Cymbalta, but I didn't like the fog I was in. So, I took myself off of it in June and have finally felt like myself after many years. I am in the process now of looking into the Mediterranean diet to see what relief I can get from going that route.

I have decided that meds are not the answer for me. I have taken way too many over the years and it is now affecting my liver. I have opted to go the natural route.

I forgot, I also have Raynaud's and possibly Sjorgens.

high blood pressure since age 33. Dad had his first heart attack at age 27 so I am very concerned for myself. I have his genes with that: high blood pressure, high bad cholesterol, low good cholesterol. Even when I eat an extremely healthy diet, the cholesterol is only ok, not good. I believe I'm a heart attack waiting to happen. BP is not being controlled well the past couple of years. I *need* to lose 35 pounds and be able to exercise but this stinkin injury is REALLY getting in my way.

Hypoglycemia. This really interferes with my life if I don't control it. I can get cranky and anxious, and sometimes I nearly throw up or pass out. I try to keep nuts and glucose tablets with me, the glucose to RAISE the sugar, the nuts to sustain it.

Because of the top two and my genetics, I'm now having weight issues. I used to lose weight effortlessly and was always thin. After having dd10 at age 36 I never lost all my pregnancy weight. I didn't with the boys, either, (well, mainly second ds) but that's ok because I was really kind of thin before getting pregnant. Now weight gets put on easily and is harder to come off.

Migraines. First one at age 36. Some days I function normally but uncomfortably. Other days I'm crippled by the pain, stay in bed, dd10 is my nurse (she LOVES to do this) and I can't do a THING.

Insomnia. 25_ years. THird generation. M.I.S.E.R.A.B.L.E. I was not a good homeschool mom with my boys because of my SEVERE sleep issues. I now take too many herbs to sleep and was on Unisom for 2 - 3 years. I just can't go without sleep now.

My head injuries cause me issues daily. I am not the same mother, wife, etc. I can't be as organized, I can't manage money, the memory issues are HORRIFIC, it interferes with how I talk and even type. I'm sure you've seen some of my posts that don't make sense. I can't help it and have learned to live with it and sometimes laugh at it. Sometimes I feel stupid now but at least I can read and retain what I'm reading to get through a book. I won't remember most of that book a month later. I'm sure I'll get dementia one day, third generation. Mom died of it at age 68, diagnosed at age 62. I bury my feelings and fears about this daily.

PTSD for 29 years and resultant anxiety. I nearly lost my life at night and now my nighttime anxiety, especially lately, is horrific. I'm trying herbs again and if it doesn't help I'm going to go back on medication because it's really, really bad. Every night. I usually am awakened out of a sleep and my anxiety will last for a long time.

SEVERE foot pain since a child. I have to keep shoes on every waking moment. The pain is horrendous when I take my first steps in the morning. Sometimes the pain radiates up through my legs, knees, and all the way to my hips. Orthotics help a lot.

I have fibromyalgia...diagnosed in 1996 as "chronic pain."

I have suffered from full-blown migraines since I was 12. lights, puking , horrible pain. I believe it is hormone induced

I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis...auto-immune disease which I think may be at the base of all the other stuff. They have treated this with synthetic hormones and it is somewhat in control. I recently found out it is hereditary when my dd's were both diagnosed with it as well. So far, my boys do not have it.

I deal with psoriasis and recently psoriasitic arthritis....It is disgusting and painful too.

I also have PCOS/ Insulin Resistance/ pre-diabetes.....even though I am not really overweight (maybe 15-20 lbs. ) This is helped tremendously when I walk daily...but have not had the time or inclination lately. No excuses except I really don't feel like it....sigh.....

Because of the pain involved, I can get pretty depressed sometimes. Nothing seems to help. I do take 800 mg of ibuprophen 3 x a day...and that makes it so I can get my daily work done.

Quite honestly, I haven't been to a doctor in 5 years because I just can't deal with all the tests and other means of torture just to once again see the shoulder shrug.....or here...take this anti-depressant and you'll be all better.

Anyway, dh made me promise to go see adoctor this month, and I probably will just to appease him....but I don't wanna!!!!

Faithe

Edited by Mommyfaithe

My list:

Osteoarthritis

Restless Leg Syndrom

Sleep onset insomnia

Grave's Thyroid

Grave's Eye disease

Reflux Disease

My freaky allergies to heat and cold

The arthritis is bothersome. It causes pain. It will get worse as I age. The RLS can on occasion interfer with sleep. Occasionally I have to sit down immediately no matter where I am or what I'm doing. The insomnia is a problem. It is a hideous horrible problem that I talk about often here so many of you know about it already. The Grave's is an irritation. I have medication, it is under control for the most part. The freaky allergies do interrupt life when I have to deal with them. I ended up in the ER this past Christmas Eve simply so I could get through Christmas day without ripping my skin from my body.

It seems like a lot. But I manage it as well as I can, and I'm not often in actual pain. There are others who have chronic every day pain. That is much much worse than anything I've got going on.

Psoriatic arthritis, diagnosed at 25. I'm 52 now. I wasn't supposed to have children as that makes it worse. I had five.

For years there was a lot of pain until about seven/eight years ago I started on Remicade. Now I have almost no pain. My hands and feet are a bit of an embarrasment to me, as they are slightly deformed looking, and I can't grip things well, but at least there is very little pain.

Wow. Reading all these issues makes me feel fortunate that I only have a few problems and that I can get out and exercise regularly:

Hashimoto's thyroiditis: When I'm hypo, the symptoms mimic fibromyalgia. We have been trying to find the window of where I feel good and not hyper (heart palpitations, restless-leg, jumpiness.)

Patella-femoral syndrome: Misalignment of the kneecaps causing stabbing pain when I walk down stairs, down hill or lunge or squat. I've done PT several times for this. Many times, it just got worse because the therapists kept treating it like I was a man. The PT at my chiro's office is fabulous. Although I am not having sessions with him, he checks in on me and helps me with a home program. Having lived with this for 14 years, I have done some serious damage to the joint. My knees are so sensitive that if something is pressing on the kneecap, I gasp in pain. I find myself limiting my sleeping position for fear that dh will accidentally bump them at night - which affects the next problem. Kneeling in church is very painful, so I wuss out of it.

2 Herniated discs - lower back and neck. If I stand for longer than a half-hour, I have major pain in my lower back. If I have to look up for any period of time or sleep in a funny position, I get terrible neck pain as well as tingling in my arms and fingers.

Hip dysplasia - I think I am developing arthritis in my hip as a result. I didn't find out that I was formally diagnosed with this as a baby until fairly recently. The doctors debated on whether or not to put me in a body cast. They decided against it. Ever since I can remember, my hips would randomly pop out of the socket. As a kid, I would end up taking a prat-fall if it popped out while walking. When I was in gymnastics, if I landed when it was popped out, it was very painful. Now, I have hip pain almost every morning. On bad days, it hurts when I roll over in bed and hurts when I exercise.

Random joint pain - I don't have a diagnosis for this one, I often have sudden sharp pains in my wrists, ankles, and feet - almost like the joints are misaligned. It doesn't last too long. However, my ankle has been bothering me for several weeks now. At night, if I turn it a little it hurts enough to wake me and gasp. There is something about the climbing gym that seems to bring it on. I am limping off and on about the place (but don't feel pain when I am climbing - go figure.)

-PCOS/insulin resistance (on 1500mg of extended-release metformin for that--with the accompanying stomach issues. Fun! LOL)

-High BP (on a low dose of Labetalol. Most of my readings at home are good so I hope that with some weight loss, the cardio will take me off it)

-Mysterious autoimmune disorder. We don't know what it is. For several years I was told I had lupus, but my new rheumatologist doesn't think it's that. My symptoms are joint pain, stiffness and swelling (esp. in my hands), mouth sores, and exhaustion. My blood work shows antiphospholipid and anticardiolipid issues, positive ANA--speckled pattern, high sed rate and CRP. With my last pregnancy, all of it went into remission, which was awesome! It's only now starting to creep back up on me. I should make another rheumy appointment but I just don't want to. Stubborn, I guess--and tired of not getting any real answers.

I've had chronic fatigue (most likely CFS, but no official diagnosis as I ran out of both patience and energy for the endless testing and useless doctors) for about 7 years now--ever since I had mono for the second time. I never feel rested, but the extent of my exhaustion varies; if I push too hard (say, thoroughly clean up the house and invite the in-laws for dinner, or spend the morning running errands), I will pay for it for days, being even more tired and barely able to straighten up the house or get meals... or, um, think. So I have to limit my activity, and prioritize carefully.

Also have back/shoulder/neck pain--which sometimes gives me whopping headaches--mild depression (not much helped by chronic fatigue) and was diagnosed with PCOS last year.

At least that's what my doctors said after they couldn't figure out anything else.

Pain is up and down for me, along with various other symptoms including extreme fatigue, blurred vision(makes it hard to read), foggy thinking, extreme dry eye and mouth, and some others. Most of my pain is in the shoulder and back areas, but there are days when my legs hurt a lot too. My health now is greatly improved since the crisis that lead to my diagnoses. At the time I had electric shock like pain in both arms and both legs. It lasted night and day for several weeks. School ended...everything ended. I spent my days going from the bed to the couch and back to the bed... Things are much better now. For a couple of months this year I felt so good I was convinced it was all over....but then.....it was back again!

After a fiasco with prescription drugs (which I've written about in other posts) I'm treating with exercise, diet, and supplements, yoga-like stretching and very hot showers when needed (sometimes twice a day). As another poster mentioned, if I begin taking on too many extra responsibilities I start having worse symptoms, so lifestyle changes were a big must. I have learned to make good use of the word "no".

I also have issues with insomnia and for that I'm using 5HTP daily. If things get really bad I will take Lunesta, but they have to be really bad b/c of side effects. My wonderful (new) doctor has also given me pain medication to use when needed. She doesn't think it's a good idea for me to try anymore antidepressants after the Cymbalta almost sent me over the edge. She likes my idea of taking something only when necessary instead of daily. I'm very thankful to have found her after my horrible experiences with doctors during the past 2 years. I just pray daily that my approach continues to work and that I don't get really bad again. After reading all these posts I don't feel so alone and I'm thankful I'm able to live a (mostly) normal life.

Shannon

Three spinal fusions with residual chronic pain. I've got enough hardware in my back that I have actually set off the airport scanners when they're set on super sensitive (usually overseas). I can also tell when it's going to rain (I called this afternoon's downpour about three hours ago).

Migraines - these are new, not sure what's prompting them other than the ubiquitous "stress".

Ankles, knees, hips all hurt at varying times. Probably related to my back and general misalignment of everything.

I don't feel so alone after reading everyone's posts!

I have Lupus.

It affects me everyday in the sense that I have to stay out of the sun, and I'm very sensitive to light.

I have nausea, gnarly brain fog (so much so that I quit driving this summer, and now only drive close to home), exhaustion, pain etc.

I take a drug that seems to take the edge off as far as pain goes. I also do acupuncture and chinese herbs. I just joined a yoga school. I had just started doing Bikrams yoga before I was diagnosed, which is where they crank up the heat for the class. Unfortunately as my symptoms intensified, I had to quit the class. If my issues were just joint pain, Bikrams would have been awesome!

Massage is also helpful, as are epsom baths and Calm: http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vitality-Calm-16-powder/dp/B000OQ2DL4/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1.

The main things that keep me going are sleep (I s*ck at sleeping), and staying positive. I've become much more at peace with life. When you're faced with a disease that no one seems to know much about, and you're left alone with yourself, your pain, and your mortality... there seems to be a lot of room to paint life in the colors of your choosing. I've realized how much it's all about perception. I'm in pain, I'm happy.

ETA: One other thing that changed my life was eating to my Chinese Doctors specifications, I can now mostly control my hives (which were out of control) by eating according to foods being hot, cold and neutral.

I'm also "seeing" a traditional Dr in Iran. A friend is meeting with him there and translating in depth conversations. It's a long process, and another great reason to go visit the country. It's been interesting to see the similarities in the Chinese and Iranian traditional medicine process. I'm learning that little adaptations in eating, living etc, can have profound effect on my health. I'm just not getting that from my rheumatologist.

The only thing that really drives me crazy is that sometimes I wish I could wear a sign, with a lengthy explanation of Lupus and my situation. "Don't mind me, I'm lost... I've forgotten your name (even though you're family)... Excuse me I have to go vomit behind the bushes, no it's not your cooking... I know we made plans, and I sound perfectly normal on the phone while canceling our fun day, but I cannot leave the house after all. Sorry World!! :blushing:

:grouphug: Hugs to everyone posting!! This is surprisingly a VERY supportive place to talk about these issues. In fact I don't really look beyond WTM for advice and support with my Lupus, or both of my kids living with Tourette Syndrome.

Thanks everyone! :grouphug:

Edited by helena
Oops! I put my ETA in the middle of my post!! Oh well..

I have quite a few health conditions.

Asthma: I have a cough type where I don't have attacks but have cough attacks where I can't hardly breath with out getting my nebulizer out

Chronic back and neck pain: I fell down the stairs five years ago and now have bulging discs in my neck and lower back. I live in alot of pain and I am currently working with a pain clinic to find the right combo of meds

Ulnar Nerve neuropathy: I had surgery last year on my left elbow to solve this but it did not completely work. We are now talking injections and medications to treat it.

Peripheral neuropathy: The doctors think this is a side effect of my neck and back injury. It comes and goes and is not very much fun cause your limbs feel like they are cold or hot or tingling for hours.

Graves Disease: I started out with over active thyroid which they treated with radioactive iodine. My thyroid is now underactive and is treated with medication.

Lactose Intolerant: They thought I had IBS for years until a doctor suggested the lactose testing. I am severely lactose intolerant.

Migraines: My doctor thinks these are mainly hormonal and thankfully I don't get them very often.

OSA, sleep disordered breathing, or Sleep Apnea: I was just diagnosed in March of this year. I had a feeling I had it for years, but the doctors kept saying I was tired because I had kids. I now have a CPAP machine and am starting to feel somewhat human again.

The back and sleep disorders bother my daily life the most. Being tired for ten years starts to wear on you after a while. And having to break down and admit I need to ride in the "old lady" electric carts at walmart was a very sad day for me.

Edited by TheTwinsMom1
forgot one, lol

The only thing that really drives me crazy is that sometimes I wish I could wear a sign, with a lengthy explanation of Lupus and my situation. "Don't mind me, I'm lost... I've forgotten your name (even though you're family)... Excuse me I have to go vomit behind the bushes, no it's not your cooking... I know we made plans, and I sound perfectly normal on the phone while canceling our fun day, but I cannot leave the house after all. Sorry World!! :blushing: :grouphug:

I can so relate to this except I would add my name, address and phone number as well as my doctors, hubby and children plus a list of meds I take. :001_smile:

Here is a list of my chronic and current conditions by how long I have had them or diagnose date

Migraines since 7 years old. I am down to one a month at most and credit that to 400 mg. of riboflavin daily. I was having a few multiday migraines a month before.

Sjogren's Syndrome- with arthritis. The arthritis is usually my most troublesome problem. I take pain medication, eye drops, Arava, and plaquenil for this.

Asthma- got adult onset variety after I had Sjogren's. Take Advair daily, albuterol rarely.

Anti-phospholipid Antibodies- normally don't do anything but not now.

Rheumatoid Arthritis- my arthritis now has a name. Same treatment.

Currently also have a fractured fibula and DVTs for which I am on two types of anti-coagulants. I am told I will be on those for months, if not for life.

WHat does all this mean- I am less well than many others much older than me. I have to carefully balance my life or symptoms get much worse.

Wow~amazing to read these posts! I can certainly empathize. Here's my list:

9 knee surgeries, including a total knee replacement at 43; other knee will need to be replaced--just not ready to face that yet

surgery to remove ovary w/ cyst and endometriosis, which promptly returned (endo, not ovary :tongue_smilie:); I'm anxiously awaiting menopause as I refuse to have a hysterectomy, which is my dr's recommendation.

fibromyalgia--diagnosed about 6 yrs ago, probably had it at least 8-9 years. I'm convinced my body just crashed and burned after the physical and psychological stress of so many surgeries in such a short time.

chronic back pain--maybe from years on crutches and in a wheelchair

migraines, altho not debilitating as in past

chronic insomnia--I must be the world's worst sleeper!!! Everything is harder to deal with when sleep-deprived.

As I've posted before, I started Cymbalta last Dec, and it has literally changed my life. I sleep better, deal with the pain better, and feel more like my *true* self than I have in years. Still have all of the above problems, but I am so much more productive (and happier) now. I also see a massage therapist every 3 weeks for a cranial-sacral treatment, which I believe has made a huge difference.

Sometimes it just seems like too much trouble to try to explain all this, so many who know me have no clue about the chronic pain. Perhaps they just think I'm anti-social??--not realizing how difficult it is to make commitments of your time when you never know if you'll be able to honor that commitment.

It doesn't sound like much in this thread, but I have severe migraines. I used to have them for 20/30 days/month, but they are better now. I take multiple preventatives, including one that precludes using any triptans (such as Zomig) for relief. I just take Vicadin when I get one, but that just dims it at least sometimes it dims it.:glare:

The only thing that really drives me crazy is that sometimes I wish I could wear a sign, with a lengthy explanation of Lupus and my situation. "Don't mind me, I'm lost... I've forgotten your name (even though you're family)... Excuse me I have to go vomit behind the bushes, no it's not your cooking... I know we made plans, and I sound perfectly normal on the phone while canceling our fun day, but I cannot leave the house after all. Sorry World!! :blushing:

:grouphug: Hugs to everyone posting!! This is surprisingly a VERY supportive place to talk about these issues. In fact I don't really look beyond WTM for advice and support with my Lupus, or both of my kids living with Tourette Syndrome.

I totally get what you are saying about wearing a sign. Sometimes I am so overwhelmed with anxiety that I cannot possibly drive a car to go anywhere. I can't trust myself to be calm in stressful situations. There have been so many days that I have stayed on the couch. I am getting better, but I'm tired of trying to explain it to everyone, so I don't. I have a friend who just doesn't get bipolar disorder and anxiety, and she knows everything I've been through. She has pretty much chosen to walk away from our relationship, and I am finally okay with that. It stinks, but it's the way it is.

So many board members reached out to me when I came here seeking advice and help about bipolar disorder. I have been blessed beyond measure. This is an amazing group of people!!!!

Gosh...some of mine pale in comparison (and I guess it is nice to not be alone). I preface this by saying, I am only 31!

Asthma- mild, intermittent, but a real b*tch when you have bronchitis!

Herniated disks in my L4 and L5 - on and off pain, sometimes excruciating.

IBS and IC - flares are on and off

Irregular Menstrual bleeding - crazy stuff that is never the same on and off now for over 2 years!

Bladder Prolapse - doesn't cause issues now, really, but will cause some really fun ones when my estrogen stops. *sigh*

TMJ - really bad at times

OCD/Hypochondria - at times, this can be absolutely life-stopping for me. Horrible, horrible thing to live with. Horrible. Probably worse than all the physical issues I have all rolled into one.

Severe allergies and sinus issues - this is just annoying.

I don't want to say that I'm glad to see others out because I'm not really glad that so many have chronic health issues, but sometimes it is nice to know that I'm alone.

I have Systemic Lupus along with Lupus Nephritis diagnosed in 2006. Prednisone is my drug of choice for the lupus although I have been on about a million different other things during the course of my disease. Amazingly enough, I was able to come off ALL my medications while I was pregnant with my youngest dd who was born in 2007. It truly was a gift from God to be able to carry her without the worry of what the drugs I have to take would do to her. I made it to 32 weeks medication free before my lupus took over and the docs delivered her. (She was 5 lbs. 2 oz and only spent 2 weeks in the NICU.)

I also have Fibromyalia, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Severe Vitamin D Defiency, and Migraines.

Nothing has truly helped with the pain from the Fibro and the Lupus. I tried Cymbalta, Lyrica, Tramadol, Zanaflex, NSAIDs, and so on and so on. Nothing really made it go away, but it does help. I can no longer take NSAIDs at all due to the lupus nephritis so I'm pretty limited on treatment options anyway.

My oldest dd who is 12 was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's (I'm pretty sure I posted about that because I was feeling pretty defeated about it.). She seems to be dealing with well. She really didn't have any symptoms at all. It was found during a routine physical. More than anything I do not want my dd with what I have to everyday. I especially don't want that when she is so young.

Its hard. It took me a long time to figure out when to push myself and when to say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to people. I'm still not great at it. That's probably the biggest issue I have homeschooling. I don't say, "Hi, nice to meet you. I have chronic debilitation diseases and I can't do everything you expect me to. Thank you kindly in advance for not getting angry at me for not meeting your expectations about what you think I should be doing in our coop this year." Although, that felt really good so maybe I should. ;) I guess because I don't LOOK sick to people, they assume that I'm fine. I don't know how to get this across to people.

Well anyway, I wish you all a healthy, productive school year full of lots of energy.:001_smile:

Wow! I am definitely not glad you all are in this situation, but I must say, it helps to read this thread and realize that others are dealing with issues and still successfully homeschooling (heck, successfully parenting!)

Physical:

Migraines. It started as one every now and then, and eventually become one 4-5 days a week. I was on topomax for about a year, which was successfully managing them, but am in the process of finding a new doctor, and the migraines are back. This affects my life in that sometimes the fun stuff suffers, but I can usually suffer through them to get the necessities taken care of.

Endometriosis. This affects my life in a huge way. I get severe, severe cramps and bowel "issues" :tongue_smilie:. One day a month I am completely and totally out of commission. If we can get to a friends house or to my parents house that day I usually just take a percocet and knock myself out for the day, if it is just Jenna and I at home she gets a free day to do... anything... while Mommy lays on the couch. Other days of the month I have severe cramping that keeps me up at night but I am able to at least get some things done. I hate this disease. If I could get rid of anything, it would be this.

Chronic back pain. I was in two serious car accidents, at 16 and 18, (both with totalled cars). I was in physical therapy for over 2 years, had a number of back surgeries, and still deal with the pain. Low back pain from my accidents, and high back pain from my large books!!

Insomnia. Is this physical? Between the cramps, the back pain, my mind racing, and my natural night owl-ness, sleep is not a common activity. I'm always tired, and get migraines more when it is really bad, but I've learned to adjust.

Blood sugar issues. They haven't quite figured it out yet. I've been told twice that I was diabetic, once that I was hypoglycemic, twice that I was prediabetic, and a couple times I was nothing. Uhm. Okay. It is especially bad when I'm on my period, I get very, very low blood sugars.

Emotional/Mental

Aspergers. Eh. I mean... it affects my life, but... I'd be a different person without it. I don't really think of it as a problem, just part of me. Maybe it is all the NT people who have a problem. :D Realistically, it does affect my life, in all the ways you'd expect.

Bipolar. Diagnosed at 17. Affects my life a lot less now than it has before. I'm controlling it fairly well.

Anxiety disorder. Phobias. Some OCD-traits.

Aren't I exciting? :lol:And I'm only 25.... they say it goes downhill from here, I'm scared!

I had 2 discs replaced in my lower back and spinal fusion. It seemed to help for a little while, but now I am back to feeling pain most days and it radiating down my legs. I have been off and on Loratab and vicodin. Right now I am trying to keep the pain at bay with Aleve, but it doesn't really work. I can manage on the narcotics but my dr won't keep prescribing them to me.

I also have dissociative identity disorder. This was formerly known as multiple personality disorder back in the 80's. Along with that I have major depressive disorder, ptsd, and anxiety. I have lived with this for a very long time so it would feel weird to not have it, but I am working on healing. I don't necessarily strive to be integrated.

I had my thyroid out in 2003 and 2005 (don't ask). So now I have to really keep a close eye on levels to make sure my meds are right.

I also suffer from insomnia and night terrors. I get probably 3hrs of sleep a night. I am now taking a sleeping med that seems to be working but I need to have the dosage increased already. I have been on so much medication of all types that I have become medication resistant.

Helena,

I have SLE as well. How fun is it to try to explain to people that you're basically allergic to the sun. Most people don't have a clue about lupus and give me the dumbest looks when I tell them I HAVE TO stay out of the sun. Its not a personal choice.......its called staying out the hospital.

I also totally understand about have to change plan and stay home b/c you CAN'T leave the house. Its seems like its very hard for to understand how awful you feel when you don't LOOK sick. I get it all the time. I just want to tell people.....my body has turned on itself and I feel like cr*p.

Glad I'm not alone in this. (Well, sort of....I'm not glad your sick, but I'm glad that I'm not the only one who deals with this.)

Feel better!

I have Lupus.

It affects me everyday in the sense that I have to stay out of the sun, and I'm very sensitive to light.

I have nausea, gnarly brain fog (so much so that I quit driving this summer, and now only drive close to home), exhaustion, pain etc.

I take a drug that seems to take the edge off as far as pain goes. I also do acupuncture and chinese herbs. I just joined a yoga school. I had just started doing Bikrams yoga before I was diagnosed, which is where they crank up the heat for the class. Unfortunately as my symptoms intensified, I had to quit the class. If my issues were just joint pain, Bikrams would have been awesome!

Massage is also helpful, as are epsom baths and Calm: http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vitality-Calm-16-powder/dp/B000OQ2DL4/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1.

The main things that keep me going are sleep (I s*ck at sleeping), and staying positive. I've become much more at peace with life. When you're faced with a disease that no one seems to know much about, and you're left alone with yourself, your pain, and your mortality... there seems to be a lot of room to paint life in the colors of your choosing. I've realized how much it's all about perception. I'm in pain, I'm happy.

ETA: One other thing that changed my life was eating to my Chinese Doctors specifications, I can now mostly control my hives (which were out of control) by eating according to foods being hot, cold and neutral.

I'm also "seeing" a traditional Dr in Iran. A friend is meeting with him there and translating in depth conversations. It's a long process, and another great reason to go visit the country. It's been interesting to see the similarities in the Chinese and Iranian traditional medicine process. I'm learning that little adaptations in eating, living etc, can have profound effect on my health. I'm just not getting that from my rheumatologist.

Mine is a short list:

- Asthma

- Scoliosis (and chronic back pain as a by-product)

- Carpal tunnel syndrome on both wrists.

- One leg shorter than the other (maybe the scoliosis came from this?)

- Migraines

- Uterine fibroid (which at some point will have to have taken out)

- Hair loss from stress (working on this)

- Bad knees, ankle and tennis elbow from various accidents.

I've had fibromyalgia for 18 years, although it was first diagnosed as "fibrositis". My doctor back then basically told me "It's caused by stress, it won't kill you, there's no cure for it, if you can't tolerate these muscle relaxants then just rest as much as possible and try not to be stressed."

A few years ago I went through testing just to be sure there was nothing else going on...nope, it's just that good old wastebasket diagnosis of fibromyalgia. I did find out I was low on Vitamin D, and supplementing that has helped my sleep and energy levels some. I also take SAM-e and it takes a bit of the edge off the pain. It has a mild antidepressant effect which, although I'm not clinically depressed, helps me cope with the pain better. In addition to pain, I have brain fog, bowel issues, and I catch viruses very easily.

I manage to cope fairly well on a day-to-day basis by Not Going Anywhere. :( I can cook, do laundry, teach my son, do some of the housecleaning, etc. with frequent rest breaks throughout the day. If I run errands or do anything social I have to plan on a major crash and flare the next day. Many times I fool myself into thinking it won't be that bad, and it always comes back to bite me. On a day like today I can tell you that I just work around fibro; on a day when I'm in full flare I find it very hard to be positive...

Oh, I also have hormonal migraines. I had them while I was going through puberty, and then had a few years off from them until I hit perimenopause. They really aren't as debilitating as fibro for me; I can take a combo of ibuprofen, Tylenol, Sudafed, and caffeine to knock the edge off them and they always go away within 2 days...I can live with pain if I know it's only going to be 2 days! :tongue_smilie: