Menu

Do you believe there are paid people on here...

I know that there are some people on here that are very passionate about certain curriculums b/c of the positive experiences that they have had. And, I do know that the authors of certain curriculums are on this board but that typically they do NOT push their own curriculum...just answer questions if anyone asks.:D I appreciate that! I always thought it so generous of SWB to maintain this board as is...complete with people talking about other curriculums besides hers, kwim? Other boards will delete message that even mention another curriculum. But, who knows? Anything is possible, right?

I don't know, I have always thought that it was just someone who really liked a certain curriculum that happened to work really well for them.

If anyone reads my responses about a particular vocabulary program, they would probably think I get an endorsement fee from that company, but honestly I have no connection to them. I just love the curriculum and it has helped my DD so much, plus it is a bit on the expensive side so I tend to gush a bit so people know I think it is worth it.

I know that I mention curricula that it seems no one else has ever heard of, yet I've seen it at HS conventions and on other sites. I guess it's just not the "in" curricula, but I sometimes wonder if people think I'm a dealer or something...

Heh - "in" curricula. Have you ever noticed how people seem to gravitate to the "in" curricula as if it is the only thing out there / must be good because everyone else is using it? (just a stray thought)

a

Heh - "in" curricula. Have you ever noticed how people seem to gravitate to the "in" curricula as if it is the only thing out there / must be good because everyone else is using it? (just a stray thought)

oh, yeah. And then there's the contrarians that almost miss something good because it was "in," and I would hate to be following the crowd. Not that I'm talking about myself, not at all.

I think most people are pretty upfront in their sigs or posts if they are representing a curriculum and I believe and assume most who gush just love the curriculum in question.

There was a thread about this not long ago and some felt compelled to say they were just loving and not representing curriculum on that thread. I dislike this sort of speculation because if I were a person who loved a curriculum it would make me feel like people were thinking these things when I gush about it. I don't want people to feel constrained in responding or talking about things that worked well for them because others might assume something like this. Regardless, I think anyone who would read one person's post and then go buy a curriculum without looking for both sides, reading lots of threads, previewing, etc. only has themselves to blame. We're smarter than that aren't we?

I agree that some people are just really happy with a curriculum.

I happen to love McRuffy and many times you'll here me rave about it, or point out things that may cause trouble for some (myself included, we've hit hurdles with it too). I don't receive any compensation from the company in anyway, but love it and may sometimes come across as "selling" it. I do have a pretty good email friendship with the author, but wouldn't rave about his product if I didn't believe it was great and that was worth talking about.

I honestly don't think this is a huge problem. The people who are writing the curriculum are upfront about that on here. The people who are affiliates for something don't get paid unless you click on their link, so they HAVE to be upfront about it or they don't make any money.

If there are other people here being paid under the table to promote something or produce buzz about it, I guess that is part of the risk we take for looking for advice on a public forum. The posters here don't seem particularly gullible to me though.

I think sometimes it isn't the people being paid that are the most convincing anyhow. I am far more likely to get swept up in somebody's enthusiasm and then realize something won't work for me, and either way, it is my own fault. ;) People push things for a lot of reasons. Some people really love what they are using. Some people get a kick out of using something popular. Some people get reassurance from convincing others to use what they are using. But most people here are honest and forthright, and I don't feel particularly suspect. We have the same "buyer beware" responsibility here that we do anywhere else, I guess.

Here's my suggestion: if you think someone is being compensated by a publishing company, why not PM them and ask them?;)

And, my comments:

I think most people are pretty upfront in their sigs or posts if they are representing a curriculum and I believe and assume most who gush just love the curriculum in question.

There was a thread about this not long ago and some felt compelled to say they were just loving and not representing curriculum on that thread. I dislike this sort of speculation because if I were a person who loved a curriculum it would make me feel like people were thinking these things when I gush about it. I don't want people to feel constrained in responding or talking about things that worked well for them because others might assume something like this. Regardless, I think anyone who would read one person's post and then go buy a curriculum without looking for both sides, reading lots of threads, previewing, etc. only has themselves to blame. We're smarter than that aren't we?

Thank you for writing such a reasonable response. And, I agree with you......I would hope that we're smarter than that. One of the reasons why I rave about MCT, Muggins Math, Phonetic Zoo (IEW), History Odyssey (Level Two Middle Ages) {although I'm sure I am known ONLY for 'gushing' about MCT} is that I found these after reading others' posts here, and then I spent so much time researching to determine if I thought thus and such would work for us; in the case of MCT and History Odyssey, I researched for DAYS and DAYS.

I agree that some people are just really happy with a curriculum.

I happen to love McRuffy and many times you'll here me rave about it, or point out things that may cause trouble for some (myself included, we've hit hurdles with it too). I don't receive any compensation from the company in anyway, but love it and may sometimes come across as "selling" it. I do have a pretty good email friendship with the author, but wouldn't rave about his product if I didn't believe it was great and that was worth talking about.

I gush and rave about MCT. I am not paid by them in any way, shape or form. After spending alot of money on curric that wasn't getting the job done, and doing alot of research (see above), I am SO thrilled to have something that works for my children that I do gush, and I try to explain it as best as I can if I think it will do the job for someone. I am quite appreciative of the group of women who 'gushed' about it last October and thus, prompted me to research a curric that was totally unknown to me. THAT is one of the great things about this board.

I have seen many, many posts on the curric board by women who use LL, LLLoTR, LTOW, and SL. I haven't ever wondered if they were being paid by the publisher. I have, however, been quite grateful for the information, their insight, their direction, and the ideas that were shared.

Finally, there was a thread on the curric board some months back that was basically asking the same question: are there folks here who are compensated to promote a certain curriculum.

Edited by MariannNOVA

It seems some are getting offended by the question.

I'm not thinking of anyone in particular. But I've wondered the same thing.

I have lurked on other non-homeschooling sites where it was not unknown to happen. Or even if people weren't exactly making money off a product, they might be given free curriculum, or asked to review or test curriculum behind the scenes.

Personally I think it's just smart to be skeptical about what we read on a message board. To be aware. It doesn't mean anyone should feel afraid about gushing if they like something.

I don't know, I have always thought that it was just someone who really liked a certain curriculum that happened to work really well for them.

If anyone reads my responses about a particular vocabulary program, they would probably think I get an endorsement fee from that company, but honestly I have no connection to them. I just love the curriculum and it has helped my DD so much, plus it is a bit on the expensive side so I tend to gush a bit so people know I think it is worth it.

I have a certain curriculum that I feel that way about, too. I wish I got a kickback or discount or something, but no. I don't. It's just been a wonderful thing for my ds and our family.

I don't think that of anyone here and quite frankly, can't see how it would be harmful if it were true. We're all capable of using good reasoning to determine how to spend our home school budget. (Whether we choose to think it through or not is something else; I just said we are capable. ;))

It's possible. A well-known "guerilla marketing" tactic is to hire people to talk about the product on message boards. When we are aware of these posters, we block them.

Thank you. I guess this is a definitive answer.

I don't think that of anyone here and quite frankly, can't see how it would be harmful if it were true. We're all capable of using good reasoning to determine how to spend our home school budget. (Whether we choose to think it through or not is something else; I just said we are capable. ;))

I agree. However, there are curriculum out there that I would have never known about or thought to try without this message board. If you are searching for a math curriculum and see multiple glowing reviews for a product, would you not want to try it? A lot of times I can only see a very brief online sample of something and not enough to get a real feel for it. How else do you make a decision? I always read positive and negative reviews... but there are positive and negative reviews for everything.

And, for the record, I don't think I've seen this occur regarding a math curriculum.

It wouldn't surprise me to discover that there are. But, after spending a good (or should I say bad?) deal of time here, I've gotten a "feel" for many posters and the gist of their overall outlook/teaching style/personality. That plays a big part in how I interpret a review- whether they may be paid or not!

FTR, I expect to continue raving about the Forms Latin and AAS for quite a while, along with FLL and WWE... even though they keep TAKING my money. ;)

I've seen publisher representatives answer questions about their curriculum, but the only "ad" I remember seeing was flagged immediately as spam.

For the record: I am neither paid nor represent any product or curricula. I don't even promote my personal blog which has never earned me a dime. :)

I've seen publisher representatives answer questions about their curriculum, but the only "ad" I remember seeing was flagged immediately as spam.

For the record: I am neither paid nor represent any product or curricula. I don't even promote my personal blog which has never earned me a dime. :)

I agree. There are a few companies who *should* be paying me. :D

This is true, but if you see a post where 5 or 6 people all talking about how XYZ math program saved their 5th grader from tears every day at math time....and you have a 5th grader in the similar situation, a parent may be inclined to drop $100 on this math program, due to the overwhelming number of people who just seem to Looooove the program.

Yes, the homeschool parent should show due diligence when shopping, but for some of the programs that you can not preview a copy of, and have to order online, the reviews of fellow homeschoolers is all the due diligence they have to go by. That is a shame, when the 5-6 reviewers may never have even seen the program, may not even homeschool and are just paid to advertise it.

We see advertising on TV, but we know it is advertising when it is commercials or brand placement in a TV show. It skews the lines, when people are saying "I loved it" and they aren't disclaiming that it is a commercial or advertisement.

I have seen occasional posts that seem to fall into this category.

However, I should be paid by Royal Fireworks Press (MCT materials), Singapore Math (PM and CWP), K12 (Human Odyssey), and Harold Jacobs (Elementary Algebra).

My one and only student is in college, so these days I'm conscious of the fact that my curriculum opinions may soon exceed a reasonable shelf life. However, if you find yourself wondering about a particular poster's veracity ask specific questions. I guarantee that if you're onto a troll or the typical curriculum shill you won't get a credible answer. I've never received freebies in return for posting favorable reviews, and I always try to be honest about the pros and cons of curriculum I like. I usually will post opinions only on curriculum I've actually used successfully, but sometimes will post specifics about why I didn't buy or bought and and didn't use something.

Also, IME, the honest folks don't typically bash one curriculum while recommending another. I've only seen a few of those kinds of posts over the years probably because the moderators catch on and delete such posts.

I'd give the benefit of the doubt, though. I've btdt on gushing about finding a curriculum that helped us over a rough spot--but if asked I'm usually able to give specifics about why. Just my 2 cents...

Personally, I'm grateful to folks who answer questions about different curricula. I don't get the chance to 'handle' a lot of different things, so its definitely a help to hear from parents that have.

:iagree: I really like getting a description of how someone actually uses a curriculum as opposed to what the website and samples say.

Perhaps...but I always look at the poster when evaluating the review.

There are several posters who seem to have dc with the same learning style as one of mine or they seem to be particularly knowledgeable in a specific area....I follow them around and check out whatever they link. I don't ever just buy something b/c it's raved by one person or a few people.

advertising certain curriculum? Because sometimes I see responses that make me very curious...

I wonder occasionally if there are people who have outside reasons for bashing certain curriculum.

I've had certain good sucess using Rosetta Stone, within a specific standard of usefulness (ie, thinking there isn't one single resource that will cover everything needed in learning a language). But there are people who will bash it as no good at all every time that it comes up.

Perhaps...but I always look at the poster when evaluating the review.

There are several posters who seem to have dc with the same learning style as one of mine or they seem to be particularly knowledgeable in a specific area....I follow them around and check out whatever they link. I don't ever just buy something b/c it's raved by one person or a few people.

:blush: I admit I only bought Latin Prep because of Laura Corin's posts on it. I don't think anyone else was using it (or at least not posting about it) at the time. It is as good as she'd described, though, so I'm not sorry about that purchase.

Whenever I see yet another question on "my" curriculum, I feel obliged to answer.

It's not even that I'm so crazy about the curriculum. It's just that I know the answer, and I look at it as a community service. I hope the redundancy of my answers doesn't imply that I'm a sales person. It merely reflects the redundancy of the questions.

Whenever I see yet another question on "my" curriculum, I feel obliged to answer.

It's not even that I'm so crazy about the curriculum. It's just that I know the answer, and I look at it as a community service. I hope the redundancy of my answers doesn't imply that I'm a sales person. It merely reflects the redundancy of the questions.

Ditto.

:blush: I admit I only bought Latin Prep because of Laura Corin's posts on it. I don't think anyone else was using it (or at least not posting about it) at the time. It is as good as she'd described, though, so I'm not sorry about that purchase.

I bought LP only b/c of Laura Corin's posts on it. And, :iagree:. It IS as good as she described.

IMO, we would be naive to assume that this one site is immune to the evils of internet advertising. I believe we should assume that there definitely are some paid reviewers here. And that we should proceed accordingly.

As others have mentioned, never go out and spend big bucks on curriculum based on the recommendation of one person whom you don't even know. People who do that often end up with some very pricey door stops lurking in the bottoms of closets.

I saw a report on con men several years ago and the one thing they all agreed was that the easiest "mark" is the person who believes they are too smart to get taken. I feel we need to admit that we are affected by the reviews we read and to respond to that fact by making it a personal policy to require a good deal more than one positive review to cause us to part with our money.

My usual process is that I will see positive mention of something interesting. Then I proceed to the publisher's site to see what exactly is involved with the particular curriculum and what else they have available. If it still looks interesting, I will check a few other sites for reviews, comparisons, etc. And if after all that, the item is still desirable to me and within my price range, I will buy it. A paid review here may serve the purpose of getting the name of the curriculum before me, but it must pass muster based on merit, not hype, for me to be willing to consider buying it.

It also helps to have enough self confidence to stick with what we know works or to ditch whatever everyone else is raving about if it isn't working for us. I really don't care what materials are popular--for the most part, I'm not even really aware of what is popular. I just know what works for my dd and what meets my criteria regarding rigor and quality. Sometimes things become popular because they are great. Other times, curriculum hits the market with a big splash and everyone flocks to it for the results it promises--only to fall flat because it is nothing more than cool technology and pretty pictures but very little substance. I will definitely take a look at everyone's favorite, but again once it comes to my attention, it still needs to pass my tough series of filters to reach the point where I will buy. New or improved doesn't always equal better. Caveat emptor.

Edited by hillfarm

I admit I only bought Latin Prep because of Laura Corin's posts on it. I don't think anyone else was using it (or at least not posting about it) at the time. It is as good as she'd described, though, so I'm not sorry about that purchase.

I'm glad it has turned out well.

Laura

I always thought that was related to feeling cheated because it wasn't as easy as the clever ads that lulled them into a quick-fix high made it seem.

That's why I always give Power Glide a poor review. I seriously think it's awful and no one has ever tried to dissuade me of that opinion. I don't want a new homeschooler to waste a year struggling with it.

I always thought that was related to feeling cheated because it wasn't as easy as the clever ads that lulled them into a quick-fix high made it seem.

I can certainly see that response. And I think that it's totally fair to say that it wasn't what you expected to to discuss in detail what the program does or doesn't cover.

What irks me is the vehement, almost angry posts that imply that it is no good at all. They are, IMHO, as bad as the rosy suggestions that one product will make your child a math or spelling (or language) wonder.

I have had mixed sucess with RS. But I do think that it was something that gave my kids the confidence they needed to participate in German when we lived in a German majority language environment. Anyway, that's more than a tab bit off subject.

I should have said, "I wouldn't buy something b/c just one poster - *who doesn't have some sort of history on this board*"

...off to research Latin Prep.:tongue_smilie::lol:

Noah Webster has never given me a dime...and I'm pretty sure he won't in the future, either!

:lol: Too bad. You've helped quite a few people!

I know that I mention curricula that it seems no one else has ever heard of, yet I've seen it at HS conventions and on other sites. I guess it's just not the "in" curricula, but I sometimes wonder if people think I'm a dealer or something...

Yep, this is me, and I'll even give the website if I really liked it. I just figure that makes it easier for people to explore something I enjoyed.

Ava

I'm in there with all the others that say they are simply passionate about certain curricula choices. Gosh, if I got paid for all the recommendations I've made on this board, I could have quit my part-time job a long time ago!

Blessings,

Lucinda