Menu

I just got back from visiting my sister. Her dh is getting his degree in education to teach math. He is very anti home schooling. I just ignore most of his comments. He's always saying how messed up in math home school kids are. How parents just can't and shouldn't teach math because they "screw up" their kids. He knows. He's seen "lots and lots of home school kids where he works." He works as a math tutor at Sylvan. Yes, I can see how his experience makes him an expert able to form a blanket opinion about all home schoolers. :glare: I'm willing to bet he's met maybe two home schooled kids ever.

He knows my oldest does well in math. He tested above grade level. Yes, *I* know this is normal for a lot of home school kids. However, bil thinks that my ds is incredibly gifted in math. My ds simply is forming a very solid foundation in math. Anyway....

I get an email this morning from my sister. Her dh went on and on to her about how he's concerned about my ds because if his passion for math is not fostered it will be wasted and possibly lost like his was when he was a kid. (BTW, bil was public schooled)

He said he wished we lived closer to them so he could expose my ds to math people, and he could start teaching ds math himself. He said that ds needed to learn calculus now (he's 9) because earlier is better than later for learning calculus. Earlier is better than later because, "his mind is fresh and not tainted with all the crappy, detrimental ways they stick kids in a rut with the way calculus is normally taught." Then he added, "But, we are not around your nephew, so the opportunity will be missed, and it will become hard for him and he will lose his passionate interest."

My sister told me all this because she thinks her dh is being so sweet due to his concern for my ds. She totally misses all the offensive things he said.

Seriously? I don't think I'm even going to respond to the email. I'm not sure how I could nicely say, "Thank you very much but, 1) I didn't ask for his opinion and 2) I can manage my son's education without his expert knowledge."

Here's the funny part. When I mentioned the Liping Ma's book about math, and told him how great it was, and that as a future math teacher he might find it a good read, he blew me off and said, "Nah, I already know all there is to know about teaching kids math."

:001_huh: Um, ok. You know it all. Yes, how could I think otherwise? You're a senior in college with an education major. Yes, I'm sorry I suggested a book to you. How dare I suggest you might learn something new?

:lol:

HAHAHAHAHA!

It takes a certain kind of person....

You'd think teh terms, "I've never heard of it" and "I already know everything there is to know" were mutually exclusive. But not according to your BIL (and I'll trust his opinion, since he obviously knows better)!

Here's the funny part. When I mentioned the Liping Ma's book about math, and told him how great it was, and that as a future math teacher he might find it a good read, he blew me off and said, "Nah, I already know all there is to know about teaching kids math."

QUOTE]

:)I admire your restraint.:grouphug:

He said that ds needed to learn calculus now (he's 9) because earlier is better than later for learning calculus.
This is nothing short of bizarre.

Okay, he is against homeschooling, but he has to concede to several factors here (if we were to go with his history and plan):

Public school did NOT cater to his passion and, in fact, "killed it". Homeschooling permits a parent to cater to a child's passion.

Public school does NOT teach calculus at age 9 and, in fact, will "tainted with all the crappy, detrimental ways they stick kids in a rut". Homeschooling permits a parent to teach or find teachers that will teach an advanced child, or any child, advanced or unusual courses.

Other things I would tell him:

1. He's a student, not even graduated, and does he believe he knows more math than his professors, Einstein, or Hawking?

2. Thank him for his misplaced concern, but you are the parent and will direct your child's schooling, including who his teachers and mentors are. You may find a "math person" that is more in line with your view of education.

3. Tell him to go get his own kid to focus on.

Well - on the flip side -

I just got an earful from my neighbor's adult daughter, who happens to be an 8th grade math teacher. She said she wishes she could afford to quit her job to homeschool her daughter. Her daughter - despite both parents being teachers and a grandparent as a principal - is struggling in school. Not just with academics (which she says she hates) but also with socialization! The teacher actually said to me, "I don't get it. The stereotype is that homeschooled kids aren't social. But your son has never gone to school and he is so social and my daughter has always been in daycare and public school and she is struggling with socializing." I just smiled politely and bit my tongue. Then she started in on her daughter's academic problems. :tongue_smilie: She was telling me how flawed the public school system is and how she doesn't want her daughter 'subjected' to it anymore. She is pulling her daughter from ps and putting her in private school this fall.

So maybe your bil will be in for a rude awakening when he actually gets in the field and starts working? We can hope, huh?

Whatever. Does he even have kids? I was an expert in parenting before I had kids. Knew it all. Hopefully he'll mature in time.

My biggest know-it-all family member now homeschools. You never know what will happen. I'd ignore him and not have these conversations with him again.

Your bil sounds sort of wacky. High school kids can smell wacky, inexperienced teachers from down the hall. They eat them alive.

I worry about his first year teaching.

As far as how to reply, I'd just say, "interesting ideas, but our plan is working well for us right now, so we're sticking with it."

Consider the source, and carry on.

Edited by msjones
spelling

:001_huh: He apparently doesn't see the irony in the fact that he is simultaneously despairing for your ds because he's h-sd and yet exposing and lamenting all of the horrible things that ps did/does to kids' math abilities and interests.

I might be tempted to ummm...reflect that back to him. I agree, you have admirable restraint. :tongue_smilie:

There is nothing as fervent as the newly initiated.

I say just blow it off. In a few years he will be battle hardened by serving in the front lines of the public education system.

Yeah, this.

Over seven years ago, I took one semester of community college. I would've taken more, but found myself pregnant. :tongue_smilie: Anywho, I took psych 101 that semester. Just ask my dh what an expert I was at psychology. :D

I'd be thinking all sorts of snotty things to say back to the email if it was my bil. I'd even write a 'tell him what I REALLY think' email in my head. Then, I'd cool off for a day or two, and pray for forgiveness and patience. Then I'd send my sister a very short email that said something like:

'I'm so glad I have a brother in law who cares so much about his nephew. Ds is very lucky to have such a loving uncle.'

That would be pretty much it. Because, first of all, I always like to kill 'em with kindness. :D Plus, unless you're bil is just a big know-it-all in all facets of his life, his passion for your son's math education probably stems from his love for his nephew. He just wants what's best for him; even if he has forgotten that as his parent, the decision of what's best for your son is up to you and you dh; not your bil.

And secondly, and this may just be me, but I find if I flat out ignore someone's email that is about something *they* consider important, they are likely to either email me again, or escalate to calling me on the phone about it. And I LOATHE chatting on the phone. Especially about something I don't want to discuss in the first place. :lol:

He sounds young. I thought I knew a lot more than I know when I was young. He does sound like he cares about his nephew and wants the best for him. He just has no clue what that really looks like. I'd focus on the positive about his (misplaced/misinformed) concern even as I practiced my pass the bean dip tactics. Time for maturity and life experience on his part and progress in your son will probably mellow this issue. Beyond that, while frustrating, this issue is minor in the grand scheme of things even now. Try not to waste any emotional energy on it.

Edited by sbgrace

Wow, he already knows it all? His future teaching colleagues will just LOVE working with him! Just wait until he gets his first classes. First year teachers rarely get advanced classes with the kids who are really interested or passionate about the subject . . .

He sounds young. I thought I knew a lot more than I know when I was young.

No kidding. Along with Kirch's take that "he already knows it all", I have to say he about sums up all college going soon-to-be educators I have met. Once they spend a few years actually teaching in the schools and get beaten down themselves a bit, generally they mellow. You are quite saintly to be so restrained, imo.

I just have to share this tidbit of news from our paper yesterday. The ps math dept is concerned about the lower testing results in math of rural areas, so they are seeking a $30 million grant to...get this...incorporate "virtual math" for the districts in those areas. 30 million dollars for Virtual math in the ps, seriously! I thought the teachers were supposed to teach math :confused:. I thought there was not only a job shortage with teachers getting laid off, but also a monster deficit to go along with it. But, apparently this money that doesn't actually exist would be better spent on "virtual math" programs than teachers. Hmmm...what's your bil's take on the way of the future for ps?? You know, the future in which they may not need him because they are teaching math the way many homeschoolers currently do?

Edited by LauraGB
finishing my thought

:001_huh: Um, ok. You know it all. Yes, how could I think otherwise? You're a senior in college with an education major. Yes, I'm sorry I suggested a book to you. How dare I suggest you might learn something new?

Wow, one of those super humans that know everything.... How DARE you suggest anything to somebody who knows EVERYTHING there is about math :lol:

:)I admire your restraint.:grouphug:

:iagree:

Wow--- so how does he explain this?? When we started homeschooling, dd who is now my rising 7th grader finished 4th grade in PS. When I got her curriculum for 5th I assumed she would be in a 5th grade math book right? After all she had been on the 90% or higher honor roll since 2nd grade for all her subjects. We started 5th grade math in 5th grade and she looked at me like :001_huh:. So after a few weeks of realizing she wasnt ready I got the 4th grade book. Again :001_huh: We had to back track her to the middle of 3rd grade math. :glare: We used a spiral curriculum that we could do the 3 at once (multiplying in 3rd, then the 4th then the 5th grade books, then on th 3rd grade fractions, then 4th grade fractions then 5th grade fractions etc) it took us 14 months straight of daily math to get her caught up. She then was able to fly through 6th grade math (with complete comprehension) and now started pre-algebra last month. Poor, thing... I wish us homeschool moms knew how to teach our kids math. (cuz you know how well public school kids can count back change without the cash register telling them how much LOL) Sorry that was a cheap shot :blush:

If he really wants to do something noble and worthwhile, then he needs to stop trying to "save" your above-grade testing, one-on-one taught, curriculum chosen for his specific learning style child.

He needs to get out there with that fire and conviction and bring math alive to all of those children who are wallowing in the public school pool of mediocracy! They deperately need people who are passionate like him (even if he sounds a bit pompous and conceited).

If you want to recommend him a good book - give him "Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire" by Rafe Esquith. That's what the world needs more of!

I've worked at a very busy Sylvan for four years now (many, many franchises closed this year, but not ours) and guess how many homeschool kids have been in for tutoring?

Right. Zero. Good guess.

Sylvan is pretty expensive for those already shelling out for curriculum. And it's designed to fill gaps. Kids do come in for enrichment, but not that much. And the kids who are keeping us in business right now are NCLB kids, not homeschool kids.

I know you are probably extremely annoyed by him, but I think the whole interaction with him is hilarious! He is just now getting his degree in education and he thinks he already knows all there is about teaching math? I mean, that is pretty funny! Wait until he has been teaching about 3 years and remind him of his comments. Just see how much he knows about teaching math then!

Your bil sounds sort of wacky. High school kids can smell wacky, inexperienced teachers from down the hall. They eat them alive.

I totally giggled at this.

I'll join the camp that is saying he's young and thinks he knows everything. I often wish I could go back to my college years just to be able to slap myself across the face. What an arrogant wench I was back then! Heck, I still give stupid advice sometimes when I have no idea what I'm talking about. I really should be shutting up right now too. :lol:

I bet he actually does think he is being extremely considerate. Take the feeling - that he cares about you - and ditch the rest. I don't even think the email garners a response. He'll grow up soon enough.

My sister is the same way about teaching kids to read. "HELLO, D, um I taught my all my kids to read and they all tested off the charts to the point teachers had to make up new charts for them......and, and they are all "A" students. I think I've done well."

Sometimes there is no sense in responding. I've settled for keeping my responses to "really" or "that's interesting". Agruing gets no where with most people, especially those with education degrees. After all they have the degree and well, I just don't have a degree.

On the bright side - my brother has been teaching highschool math for more than 10 years. He is now a terrific resource for math. He knew a lot more then than he does now. ;) He was a pain for a few years, and he still buys my kids flashcards for Christmas. However, I have a back-up math person. He is my alternate plan. I discuss math teaching with him because he is a terrific math teacher. He now says that he would love to have kids like mine in his classes because they are inquisitive, polite and eager to learn. He's generally happy on Fridays if he makes it through his classes with no students pulling knives on each other.

I did a lot of smiling and nodding at my brother over the years whichis now paying off as he has matured.

My next big problem is my SIL who is one dissertation away from her Ph.D. in secondary education methods specializing in English. She was already talking to me about how much "we" missed out as student by not learning to write creativly while we were young. We all went to a private classical school instead of ps.

:001_rolleyes:

Enjoy your bil's youthful exhuberance.

I think that NOT addressing this will leave the door wide open to more of this foolish behavior in the future. And you don't want your ds to be on the receiving side of this man's words OR quizzing, etc. I'd respond to the email and be gentle and gracious but FIRM and let your sister know that the topic of homeschooling your child will no longer be open for discussion. Then when you see them, hard as it is not to share such a great part of your life, DON'T bring anything up because you will immediately open the door to criticism. I wouldn't discuss homeschooling with your sister either.

Sylvan?!?!?!?

A place where you take a struggling child?...... HUH?

Of course they are messed up!

If they were math whizzes a parent would have no need to take them to Sylvan! The public schooled dc who go to Sylvan are messed up too! Thankfully the hs'ers are taking action to get their dc help!

I'll bet $1,000 he isn't even teaching in 5 years.

The way calculus is taught in P.S. IS A CRIME...YES, A CRIME. It is as if music was taught ONLY by naming the notes, lines and spaces, without EVER LISTENING TO ANY MUSIC.

You must have divinely inspired patience...there is not enough profanity in the known universe adequate for how I might have responded.

Gee, here I know lots of mathy kids who have done higher level maths while still middle school age. And I'm talking Calculus I, II, III, etc., etc. If a kid is strongly math oriented, I'm not sure you can do something to "mess that up", can you? You might hold them back, but once they're let loose, won't they catch up anyway? I mean, I don't think you can "maim" their ability to think mathematically, LOL, if they're very math oriented kids....

If he's only a senior in college (unless he went back later in life), then he's only 21 or 22 or so, right?

He's young. And young people say and do some dumb things. I sure did. Oy. It's embarrassing the dumb things I said to people when I was in my twenties. Thankfully, those people were very gracious and did not blast me for my thoughtless words and entirely pie-in-the-sky ideals.

And, to tell you the truth, I was going to say that it would be good if bil talked to your ds about math. (Talked, but not had actual teaching sessions.) Bil is obviously passionate about math and would probably be actually able to inpspire ds a lot. BUT! Then I read that last part of your post where Bil thinks he already knows everything there is to know about teaching math.

So now I think that BIL needs to learn humility before you allow ds to even talk to him about math (much less do any actual lessons! Ack!!)

I would be as gracious as possible in your email back to your sister. Someone else gave some wording about, "It's so lovely to have a family that loves my nephew so deeply...." Since they are too far away to be a threat, then you can respond to the good (though misplaced) intent of bil's heart.

Bil sort of sounds like a new homeschooler who had a 3 yo and wants to jump in with a bunch of workbooks and projects and then quickly realizes that they need to slow down. Bil is chomping at the bit and looking around for a kid to teach. He'll settle down in a couple of years. Until then, I would be as gracious as possible.

P.S. Have you posted about this BIL before? He sounds familiar...

There is nothing as fervent as the newly initiated.

So true.

Okay, he is against homeschooling, but he has to concede to several factors here (if we were to go with his history and plan):

Public school did NOT cater to his passion and, in fact, "killed it". Homeschooling permits a parent to cater to a child's passion.

Public school does NOT teach calculus at age 9 and, in fact, will "tainted with all the crappy, detrimental ways they stick kids in a rut". Homeschooling permits a parent to teach or find teachers that will teach an advanced child, or any child, advanced or unusual courses.

Yes, the irony hurts. He refuses to see it though.

Whatever. Does he even have kids? I was an expert in parenting before I had kids. Knew it all. Hopefully he'll mature in time.

My sister is pregnant with their first. Both DH and I agree that when the baby arrives they will have a lot of maturing to do.

:lol::lol:

:001_huh: He apparently doesn't see the irony in the fact that he is simultaneously despairing for your ds because he's h-sd and yet exposing and lamenting all of the horrible things that ps did/does to kids' math abilities and interests.

I might be tempted to ummm...reflect that back to him. I agree, you have admirable restraint. :tongue_smilie:

He's not one to see what should be obvious.

He sounds young. I thought I knew a lot more than I know when I was young.

He's 30. However, he's a very immature 30. I keep waiting for him to "grow up."

If you want to recommend him a good book - give him "Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire" by Rafe Esquith. That's what the world needs more of!

I plan on buying him that book for Christmas which is when he graduates. :D

I've worked at a very busy Sylvan for four years now (many, many franchises closed this year, but not ours) and guess how many homeschool kids have been in for tutoring?

Right. Zero. Good guess.

Sylvan is pretty expensive for those already shelling out for curriculum. And it's designed to fill gaps. Kids do come in for enrichment, but not that much. And the kids who are keeping us in business right now are NCLB kids, not homeschool kids.

Yes, I've told dh I suspect he hasn't even tutored one home school kid. If he has then the parent obviously is taking steps to help their dc. I've also pointed out the irony that being a math person, he should understand that the few home school kids struggling in math he may have met, statistically represent such a tiny percent of the home school kids. So if he has tutored even one home school kid how does that equate to "lots and lots?" Also, statistically, are there more home school kids struggling in math or ps kids? As a math minor I would expect him to be able to figure that out.

And you don't want your ds to be on the receiving side of this man's words OR quizzing, etc.

This is my only concern. I can ignore him well enough. At dinner I heard him telling ds that he's a lucky home schooled kid because his mom is actually teaching him well, but that most home schooled kids don't do well in math because their parents don't teach them well. He continued saying that he knows lots of home schooled kids that "don't know anything" because normally parents can't teach.

I sat there wondering what my ds was thinking and if he was thinking about all his home school friends. I haven't talked to ds yet about it but I will.

If you ever think of moving' date=' use a radius, from bil, of at least a hundred miles when considering possible locations - more if he likes to drive. :D[/quote']

They don't live close. It's an 11 hour drive to visit. We happened to be visiting them this past weekend. I delivered all my maternity clothes and baby items to them.

I plan on buying him that book for Christmas which is when he graduates.

You might want to read the book first, or at least read the negative reviews on Amazon.

I liked the first few chapters of the book, but I found the book as a whole repetitive and self-serving. I would also be pissed if I worked with him, because he has no problem slamming his co-workers.

I would be concerned that you bil would want to be "just like Rafe," and demean his co-workers while assuring them all he was God's gift to his school.

While in college none of our friends were studying to be math teachers, but we did know some people studying to be teachers.

While we were applying multivariable calculus and differential equations they were studying See Spot Run.

We were laughing at their homework, not at them.

Oh your poor deluded BIL. Sounds like he guzzled the public school teacher indoctrination Kool-aid. I have a BIL that did the same thing...poor guy...he quit even before his first year was over and never went back. The kids did indeed sense the "wacky, inexperienced" aura. Those kids were on him like piranhas. It was horrible for him.

The 'teacher training' tells them how great they are and what a great contribution they'll make. They can get quite full of themselves as a result. Unfortunately, many are ill-prepared for the reality. It hit my BIL like a truck. Time will tell with your BIL. You might consider sending your sister a 'concerned' email letting her know that he needs to take his ego down a few notches and that if he needs any teaching advice you'll consider giving him some coaching. Afterall, you've been doing it longer and more successfully than he has. ;)

I know you are probably extremely annoyed by him, but I think the whole interaction with him is hilarious! He is just now getting his degree in education and he thinks he already knows all there is about teaching math? I mean, that is pretty funny! Wait until he has been teaching about 3 years and remind him of his comments. Just see how much he knows about teaching math then!

I agree! Save the email. :)

I would not make a big deal about this. He's young and inexperienced and an enthusiastic know-it-all. I'm pretty sure I've BTDT. :tongue_smilie: And the mature adults around probably rolled their eyes behind my back but smiled politely to my face.

I would be appreciative of his desire to share math with your kid and reinforce your mutual desire for your ds to keep his love of math throughout his education.

They don't live close. It's an 11 hour drive to visit. We happened to be visiting them this past weekend. I delivered all my maternity clothes and baby items to them.

Are they expecting? This may in time solve your problem as soon they'll be faced with the reality of all their child raising theories being put into practice in their own home. ;) Hopefully by the time his own child is 9 yo he'll have come to his senses and won't be subjecting his own to what he has recommended for yours. Hopefully he'll have found the other half of the sandwich. :D

While in college none of our friends were studying to be math teachers, but we did know some people studying to be teachers.

While we were applying multivariable calculus and differential equations they were studying See Spot Run.

We were laughing at their homework, not at them.

Similar background here - I'm guessing you must be an engineer.

A former coworker described a war between the engineering major TA's and the math ed major TA's when she was teaching as an undergrad. Apparently the engineers were aghast that the math ed majors were teaching "guess and check" as a valid problem solving method in the calculus classes she was teaching, and the math ed. majors were irritated that the engineer-led sections were consistently scoring higher on the tests. :D

Earlier is better than later because, "his mind is fresh and not tainted with all the crappy, detrimental ways they stick kids in a rut with the way calculus is normally taught."

Um, you mean all those kids who are taught math poorly in public school?

(I guess logic is a different skill set from math.)

I would probably respond with something like, "We think that math, along with other subjects, is too important to risk his needs not being met just because he doesn't march along with a hypothetical average student. Individual differentiation is so important in these formative years. I'd hate to see his interest in math held up because other students in a classroom weren't ready to progress. And I don't want to see him pushed along before he's mastered a concept, just because that's what the teacher's manual says to do next."

My SIL is an elementary teacher. I've worked hard to keep our communication good. She even bought the kids fraction burgers and decimal dogs one year (after asking if they would be a good gift) because she was buying a class set and thought that my kids would enjoy them too. When I hit used bookstores or library sales I pick up books that I think she or her class would enjoy.

But I remember the family dinner (when she and my BIL were still in college) when she told us how strange and poorly socialized she thought her classmates who had been homeschooled were. We weren't officially homeschooling yet, but I had to bite my tongue that time.

Similar background here - I'm guessing you must be an engineer.

A former coworker described a war between the engineering major TA's and the math ed major TA's when she was teaching as an undergrad. Apparently the engineers were aghast that the math ed majors were teaching "guess and check" as a valid problem solving method in the calculus classes she was teaching, and the math ed. majors were irritated that the engineer-led sections were consistently scoring higher on the tests. :D

I'm a Civil Engineer and my DH is an Electrical Engineer:D

My BIL has a PhD in history, and all through his years of schooling he had plans to be the most amazing history teacher of all time. ;) Now, after 4 years of teaching in various public school systems, he has lost his fervor. Now that reality has set in, his goals are to finish all his required paperwork, attend all the required school functions, and just try to keep all his students in some form of control while in class. He no longer feels that he can really teach them anything, because there is no interest from anyone to really listen to anything he has to say. His interaction with other teachers is always negative and filled with their dissolution and frustration and complaints about budget cuts and student discipline issues. So, sad to say, just chalk it up to your BIL's energetic naivety. Let experience be his teacher. :D

Let me guess. He's taken a class recently, or is taking one, where they read Jerome Bruner, hasn't he? Don't worry-he'll have a new theory next semester, and none will last 3 years in the classroom. And it would shock me if he DOESN'T have to read Liping Ma at some point.

I had some humility forced on me when I was working on a masters in math ed-because I was married to a mathematician/Computer scientist, and every time I got excited about something, he brought me down to earth.

Nothing productive to add, really, but I have a very dear friend who just retired after 31 years of teaching math at the college level, the last several years spent focusing entirely on teaching math methods to pre-service teachers. He wrote several books on math, spent time in elementary school classrooms, and presented regularly at math conferences, including National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. I cannot imagine knowing more about teaching math to children than he know (and, yes, he knew Liping Ma's work, of course) and he never would have claimed to know all there was about teaching math to children. He was still reading and learning the week before he retired. :-)

And after eating them alive, they spit them out. Then they let the regurgitated teacher resurrect himself (and his pride) and then the students do it all over again!!!! Your BIL is in for a rude awakening.