Menu

Is it against the law to sit in your car while pumping gas, or simply a suggestion?

My best educated (I worked in the oil transport business years ago) guess:

not illegal to leave the pump un-watched but if it overflowed and spilled, you could be held accountable even criminally depending on what happened.

Unless you are filling up and have a big tank, I don't think it is worthwhile to jump back into the car. Since you have to turn off the engine, there is no heat or cool air except whatever lingers from when you pull up.

But I've never heard it was against the law to sit in the car.

It isn't recommended because of the possibility of static electricity causing a spark to ignite the gasoline when you get out of the car.

:iagree:

Mythbusters confirmed this myth. Your clothing sliding on the fabric can build up static which can then ignite the fumes when you grab the nozzle to remove it, unless you properly ground yourself to ensure the charge is discharged first. The explosions are most commonly caused by women who are more likely to jump back into the car.

Personally, after seeing that episode and the kind of explosions that can happen (they showed gas station camera footage), I'd rather stay out of the car.

How's that even work unless it's a full serve?:001_huh:
There is a little tab on the nozzle that you can flip up to keep the nozzle handle pressed "on".

Ahhh. I didn't know that...

I once commented to a friend that our old van was "really good on gas"... and dh, overhearing, started laughing. For a long time.

You might be able to guess why. :tongue_smilie:

The problem is static electricity build up and you can catch on fire....have you ever been "shocked" by your car getting in/out? That spark could potentially start a fire.

Yes, I understand the possibility of a spark causing an explosion, but I'm still wondering if anyone has heard of it be illegal to get back in the car while the gas is pumping.

I ask because a certain someone, who shall remain nameless but is at this moment asleep in our bed, says it's illegal (like smoking while pumping gas, or putting gas in milk jugs, or filling gas cans in the bed of a truck, or allowing babies to ride without a carseat). Is it illegal? Or is it a well-advised suggestion?

Don't know, but I've had gas stations turn off the pump from inside because I got back into the car (including at -30 once. I never went back to that place, because the guy was both arrogant and rude about it).

So, does this mean I shouldn't get gas with any passengers? Or should I make them all get out of the car when we get gas? Or tell them to freeze an not move at all. When it is winter and below zero wind chills, you get your sweet bippy that I will sit in my car. Every gas station I have been to has an auto shut off to stop the gas from flowing when it is full. In my 30 years of driving (and filling up), I have never had a spill from it not shutting off in time. The spill is much more likely from drips off the end - whether I fill up or just put in a few dollars.

So, how often does this explosion phenomena happen? I had never heard of it.

Yes, I understand the possibility of a spark causing an explosion, but I'm still wondering if anyone has heard of it be illegal to get back in the car while the gas is pumping.

I ask because a certain someone, who shall remain nameless but is at this moment asleep in our bed, says it's illegal (like smoking while pumping gas, or putting gas in milk jugs, or filling gas cans in the bed of a truck, or allowing babies to ride without a carseat). Is it illegal? Or is it a well-advised suggestion?

I think a certain someone is wrong, but if he doesn't believe you, I doubt he'll believe us. :tongue_smilie:

I think a certain someone is wrong, but if he doesn't believe you, I doubt he'll believe us. :tongue_smilie:

Haha! You are so right! :D

I vented to him today that a man (a stranger) had chastised me for sitting in the car, and reminded me to ground myself, etc. My dh had the nerve to side with that man, and said that it's illegal, etc. :tongue_smilie:

I've never been shocked by my current car, but our old car was terrible! I guess I'll be more careful, especially around persnickety men! :)

So, does this mean I shouldn't get gas with any passengers? Or should I make them all get out of the car when we get gas? Or tell them to freeze an not move at all. When it is winter and below zero wind chills, you get your sweet bippy that I will sit in my car. Every gas station I have been to has an auto shut off to stop the gas from flowing when it is full. In my 30 years of driving (and filling up), I have never had a spill from it not shutting off in time. The spill is much more likely from drips off the end - whether I fill up or just put in a few dollars.

So, how often does this explosion phenomena happen? I had never heard of it.

As long as your passengers stay in the car, there is no problem. The discharge happens when your foot hits the ground. If you sit in the car, you're supposed to leave one foot on the ground outside.

I vented to him today that a man (a stranger) had chastised me for sitting in the car, and reminded me to ground myself, etc. My dh had the nerve to side with that man, and said that it's illegal, etc. :tongue_smilie:

I've never been shocked by my current car, but our old car was terrible! I guess I'll be more careful, especially around persnickety men! :)

As annoying as it is, it's because he loves you.:001_wub:

As annoying as it is, it's because he loves you.:001_wub:

You are so right. When we were dating, and I'd be cutting food, he'd always tell me to be careful. I was highly insulted and it drove me nuts until I realized that he only did it because he loved me. :001_wub:

Well, I love him so much, and I want so much for him to be well informed, I just e-mail the snopes article (above) to his work addy. He'll thank me in the morning for being so caring. :D

I don't think it is ilegal, but as others have posted there is a risk due to static electricity. Now that I live in a town with very temperate climate year round I don't get feel the need to get back in the car. When I lived in a more extreme climate, I would hop back in the car on days with low temperatures and high winds, but I always ground myself when I get out of the car, it has become a habit.

All of New Jersey is in trouble then. It is against the law in New Jersey to pump your own gas. Nobody gets out of their cars.

But no one comes near the gas, either. ;)

Up here (Ontario), about 8 years ago, all of the gas stations removed the tab on the handle that holds the trigger in place. That way, you have to be standing right there pumping. I was trying to picture how someone could be sitting in theri car while still holding the trigger and pumping, and was coming up with some interesting mental pictures. :tongue_smilie:

Just wondering. :)

There are signs on the pumps around here telling you not to get back in your car while the gas is pumping, just as there are signs about using proper containers for gas, making sure said containers are in contact with the ground during filling, no smoking, etc. but I don't know whether it's "'law".

If you sit in the car, you're supposed to leave one foot on the ground outside.

Kinda defeats the purpose of wanting to stay cool/warm ;)

Last summer I was at a station filling a gas jug for my FIL's mower. A man next to me told me I should take it out of the trunk and place it on the ground while filling. I had never heard of such a thing, but my husband confirmed the practice. I already knew about the no-going back inthe car while filling the tank. Yes, I would have been perturbed if the man was rude about it, but he wasn't and I was happy to learn something new/useful.

Around here, I think the law states that you must be "in attendance", whatever that means. It doesn't say you can't sit in your car, just that you have to be nearby.

The gas pumps also have "grounding pads" that you can touch before touching the nozzle if you might have built up an electric charge.

After watching some of those incidents years ago, I decided it was probably best if everyone just got out of the car. Our car is so difficult to get out of, it didn't seem safe to have everyone sitting in there if anything went wrong. If we're on long trips this is no problem as everyone wants to get out anyway. If we're just refilling the tank around here, either I or my husband go alone.

Now that we can't close our driver side door anymore, we don't open it, so the driver needs to boot out the passenger side occupant anyway when filling the gas tank. Even if one other person did go on a gas expedition, they'd have to get out.

Maybe we need a new car?

It seems to me that if it were illegal, there would be a sign stating this. At one local gas station, they have a sign that says something like "If you get into your car while pumping, you need to touch something metal to discharge any static electricity before touching the pump."

I don't get back in my car, but I still get shocked occasionally. I just always touch the metal pole next to my car before touching the nozzle. It is not illegal to get back in your car here, but I wish we had full service places like NJ! I don't like pumping gas.

FWIW, it is not an issue when the pump overflows either as pp mentioned. That happened to me while I was standing right there, the thing did not shut off like it was supposed to. I was nervous about the gas all over the ground, but the store clerk said it was not a big deal. I left and he put some white powder on the gas spot to soak it up.

My Honda Odyssey gives the absolute worst shock of any car we've owned. I get shocked almost every time I get out of the car. Out of habit, now, I go ahead and touch the side of the car to ground myself just to get it over with. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I appreciate it.

Last summer I was at a station filling a gas jug for my FIL's mower. A man next to me told me I should take it out of the trunk and place it on the ground while filling.

Not only should it be on the ground, but you're supposed to have the nozzle in contact with the container while filling.

I'm so glad I live in NJ. I drive a Chevy Suburban and that thing takes forever to fill up. At places with older/slower pumps it can take 15 minutes. I would hate to have to stand there holding the nozzle for all that time.

For the people who want to sit in the car to keep cool/warm - do you leave your car running while pumping gas? I do ocassionally leave my car going but only if its very hot or very cold and I have the little kids in the car. None of the attendants have ever said anything about it.

• Like 1

For the people who want to sit in the car to keep cool/warm - do you leave your car running while pumping gas? I do ocassionally leave my car going but only if its very hot or very cold and I have the little kids in the car. None of the attendants have ever said anything about it.

As far as I know, the above IS illegal in CA.

I can't imagine sitting in my car while filling up in my town. Even my kids get out. It's 105 degrees outside. I can only imagine how hot the car gets.

That don't have an automatic stop on them. Several gas stations I have gone to have signs posted about spilling gas being an offense. As to the spark it is true but only applies to the person who touches the gas handle not everyone in the car. So unless you passenger is going to stop the fill up only he would be at risk

I'm so glad I live in NJ. I drive a Chevy Suburban and that thing takes forever to fill up. At places with older/slower pumps it can take 15 minutes. I would hate to have to stand there holding the nozzle for all that time.

Leaving the car running while filling up? I was taught this is definitely a no no! I was also taught about cell phones but I see people using theirs all the time!

I learned to drive in the UK and these things were part of what you were taught. Aren't people taught these things when learning to drive in the US? I guess I never thought about it before... I have had to take the theory test in two different states now and I haven't seen this issue addressed in either but I thought it was because I already had a driving licence and the issued would be addressed in driver's ed, now I am wondering!

Mabelen, from what I understand the U.S. has what are probably the most lax licensing standards in the developed world for driving a car. When I was first licensed in TX at age 16, anyone who passed a driver's education class was even exempted from taking the driving portion of the test. So I can honestly say I've never passed a driving test, because I've never taken one. Heaven help us if I ever have to parallel park between two cars. Haven't done it since I was 15.

Around here, I think the law states that you must be "in attendance", whatever that means. It doesn't say you can't sit in your car, just that you have to be nearby.

The gas pumps also have "grounding pads" that you can touch before touching the nozzle if you might have built up an electric charge.

After watching some of those incidents years ago, I decided it was probably best if everyone just got out of the car. Our car is so difficult to get out of, it didn't seem safe to have everyone sitting in there if anything went wrong. If we're on long trips this is no problem as everyone wants to get out anyway. If we're just refilling the tank around here, either I or my husband go alone.

Now that we can't close our driver side door anymore, we don't open it, so the driver needs to boot out the passenger side occupant anyway when filling the gas tank. Even if one other person did go on a gas expedition, they'd have to get out.

Maybe we need a new car?

And I thought it was bad that we have to reach in and open the driver's side door from the inside because the outside latch is broken. If the car was locked, having to first open the passenger side door and reach in and across to roll down the window or push the door open. We usually just leave the window down when it's in our driveway, and don't leave valuables in the car. If someone wants to steal it...I'm out $600 in theory (approximate blue book value of my hunk o junk last I checked) but more likely just the couple hundred we'd get for it from a scrapyard.

We need a new car very, very badly. I just hope our income tax return shows up before the tags expire on the heap, because there's NO way it'll pass emissions and inspection.

As for gassing up, I always thought doing so with the car running was a huge no-no. It's never occured to me to sit in the car, because it's stinkin' hot in the car (the blower's broken so the only A/C we get is when the car is moving), or else pleasant outside. DD usually gets out and cleans windows; I go to a QT or circle K with well-shaded pumps regardless.

There are signs on the pumps around here telling you not to get back in your car while the gas is pumping, just as there are signs about using proper containers for gas, making sure said containers are in contact with the ground during filling, no smoking, etc. but I don't know whether it's "'law".

Same here. But I guess if you hop back in your car you might not read them. ;)

I saw someone filling up their car while SMOKING. Can you believe it? I'm not the type to say anything...too timid...but not just for his sake but for mine and my KIDS. C'mon if he goes up mightn't we all? I can kind of understand the man saying something to you so long as he wasn't rude as it has potential to put others who are in the vicinity at risk. :001_smile:

Ahhh. I didn't know that...

I once commented to a friend that our old van was "really good on gas"... and dh, overhearing, started laughing. For a long time.

You might be able to guess why. :tongue_smilie:

My SUV is "really good on gas" too... I only have to fill up once or twice a year at most. Probably the same reason as you! So nice to have dh's who take care of this kind of stuff!

It isn't recommended because of the possibility of static electricity causing a spark to ignite the gasoline when you get out of the car.

Yeah, Mythbusters did a thing on this. If you touch the car before getting out, you ground yourself (or whatever) and there's no static. It was very interesting watching them rub panties on a car seat to create static. LOL

• 10 years later...
On 7/6/2010 at 9:51 PM, Suzanne in ABQ said:

I don't know if it's illegal, but every gas station I've been to has a sign posted that says not to re-enter the car.  

ETA:  Whoops, just noticed this is a zombie thread.

Edited by EKS

• 2 years later...