Menu

? for those with grown kids

Does your grown child make unusual request? An example is you invite them to eat, and they request you bake a cake when you had no intention of baking cake. Not just any cake, carrot cake with cream cheese icing, cake that requires you to grate a pound of carrots. do you immediatly say yes or do you say no. I ask because it is difficult for me to say no to him. I had planned to be very lazy this weekend.

How about "Sure, if you bake me my best favourite meal that takes an hour and a half to prepare!" My aunts request specific foods when they visit my grandmother, but she loves it.

If you don't want to, say you're busy but you can pick up some ice cream on the way. He'll live.

Rosie

Sometimes. My daughter (21) lives in Denver and isn't back home all that often so when she and her sweetie do come home they usually request something specific. I don't mind but maybe that's because it's not often. Now, if they were invited every week and expected their favorites then I might not be so willing.

I think she just misses her mama's home cookin'.

Well, I have to admit . . . anytime my child asks for a specific food . . . I always make it. Other requests are taken on a case by case basis . . . but special foods are always a YES.

I'm one of those Moms who just loves to see a young person enjoying a meal. I'm old school that way, I guess.

Does your grown child make unusual request? An example is you invite them to eat, and they request you bake a cake when you had no intention of baking cake. Not just any cake, carrot cake with cream cheese icing, cake that requires you to grate a pound of carrots. do you immediatly say yes or do you say no. I ask because it is difficult for me to say no to him. I had planned to be very lazy this weekend.

I don't have a grown child, but I am a grown child. My relationship with my mother hasn't changed much; I still ask for whatever I feel like eating, and she still makes whatever she feels like making. :D

Feeding them their special requests, for me, is part of the way I show my love for them. I would do it.

I have gotten worse about this since my son joined the Marine Corp and called home telling me what all he wanted to eat when he got to come home. :001_smile:

I don't have grown children, but I know that when my siblings and I moved out, we used to ask for our favorite foods when we visited our parents. My mom's brothers would ask for their favorites when they came, too. My mom would comply if it wasn't too much hassle; it just depended on what else she had going on.

I forgot to mention I baked him a carrot cake last month when it was his birthday. I just did not know he would want another one so soon. And yes, he will come over out of the blue just for a grilled cheese sandwich.

You must have some mad carrot cake and grilled cheese sandwich skilz!

No grown children of my own yet but again I am a grown child. To me it's a really special part of my relationship with my mother to go visit and have her make that special thing I like. She seems to like to do it too ( I think!).

I think if it were me and I could possibly do it I probably would, maybe not if they just lived around the corner and were over every other day.

I don't have a grown child, but I am a grown child. My relationship with my mother hasn't changed much; I still ask for whatever I feel like eating, and she still makes whatever she feels like making. :D

:iagree: There's nothin' like mama's chicken-and-artichokes with basil pesto. I bless her that she always makes it at my request, and especially whenever I returned from a long trip. She loves it that I ask, and I love it that she cooks it.

I would not at all be off-put, however, if she suggested we do it another time. :001_smile:

I forgot to mention I baked him a carrot cake last month when it was his birthday. I just did not know he would want another one so soon. And yes, he will come over out of the blue just for a grilled cheese sandwich.

In that case, I'd laugh and tell him I am flattered but don't have enough time for it this weekend. Sounds like he loves his mama's cooking, though. :001_smile:

Well, I have to admit . . . anytime my child asks for a specific food . . . I always make it. Other requests are taken on a case by case basis . . . but special foods are always a YES.

I'm one of those Moms who just loves to see a young person enjoying a meal. I'm old school that way, I guess.

That's totally me! Not that my kids are grown yet, but I already do that for my sisters when they come to see us. I will be one of those grandmothers, making everyone's favorites. I just can't resist my boys!

Haha, without reading the other responses I will say, yes, all the time! My oldest dd will plead with me for different things and I often oblige. I kind of like it that she wants something special from me.

But then again, if she was always begging I might become irritated :smilielol5:

I bet you make a mean carrot cake, and now I am thinking about begging you for a recipe....

:iagree:

:iagree:

Feeding them their special requests, for me, is part of the way I show my love for them. I would do it.

I have gotten worse about this since my son joined the Marine Corp and called home telling me what all he wanted to eat when he got to come home. :001_smile:

Yes.

Not bc it is my natural inclination.

But bc the old adage that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach is often very true.

I already see this in my teen boys. Yeah they come running for the food, but in between bites, there's considerable conversation/bonding.

I probably wouldn't do a scratch cake everyday.

But sandwiches and stuff? Sure.

No grown children of my own yet but again I am a grown child. To me it's a really special part of my relationship with my mother to go visit and have her make that special thing I like. She seems to like to do it too ( I think!).

I think if it were me and I could possibly do it I probably would, maybe not if they just lived around the corner and were over every other day.

:iagree: Only for me it was my aunt and uncle. Even after I had mastered their recipes I still would try and coax them to making my favorites.

I don't have a grown child. But I can tell you that my husband loves his mom's cooking. He doesn't get to see her often because she lives in Florida and we live in PA, but when we go there to visit or she comes here, he's always making specific requests. And she's always willing to oblige! He loves that about her (and I certainly don't complain either)! :)

No grown kids yet but I can tell you that I will LOVE if my boys call with requests! Now, I won't feel guilty if I can't do it. I'll do it if I can. I'll love that they are comfortable enough with me to ask and I'll love that they have specific fond memories associated with my home and with me.

Carrot Cake

3 cups all-purpose flour

2 t baking powder

1 t baking soda

1 t cinnamon

1/2 t salt

4 cups freshly grated carrots

2 T fresh lemon zest

2 T fresh orange zest

2 T fresh squeezed orange juice

2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice

1 cup butter room temperature

1 cup regular sugar

1 cup brown sugar

4 eggs room temperature

Preheat oven to 350.

Butter and flour 2 cake pans set aside.

Whisk dry ingredients together set aside.

Grate carrots set aside.

Zest lemons, and oranges set aside.

Squeeze lemon and orange juice set aside.

Cream butter and sugars.

Add one egg at a time beating well after each addition.

Beat in juices and zest.

Beat in carrots.

Gently beat in dry ingredients until moistened.

Do not over mix dry ingredients.

Pour into prepared cake pans.

Bake about 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Some people like to add a cup of nuts. When I have fresh organic orange and lemon essential oil I do add 5 drops of each so that is my secret. I top with a homemade cream cheese icing, and add just a touch of lemon to it or a few drops of lemon essential oil. I always say it is not my skills, just the recipe and the ingredients. I use only fresh hand zested organic lemons and organic oranges, only fresh squeezed juices, only organic sugar, cultured European butter, fresh laid eggs from free range hens and King Arthur flour. It cost a small fortune to bake this cake, along with some time to do all the grating and zesting. I think I am going to ask for a food processor for Christmas to do my grating for me. We usually only have this cake when it is his birthday, or he is coming and going out of town. It is his favorite, he will usually come over ever day to eat a piece or take the whole cake with him depending on his mood. The cake is in the oven and now I must start on the rolls.

My older two do occasionally request something special. If I can, I will do it. Even if I have to go out of my way a little bit. They usually ask for things that remind them of growing up, and honestly, it makes me feel good. Cooking and meals around here are important and big part of our family traditions. However, if it was causing a lot of problems, I would tell them I'd love to, but they'll have to take a rain check.

I haven't read all of the responses but I am the guilty "grown child." I have tried to get my mom to make me rhubarb crisp and she said no. I have since given up. If my children ask me for baked goods when they are older I vow to do it, but they have to eat one piece with me. All my kids are young so maybe I'll change my tune later.

My mom still brings my favorite desert every time she visits.

My dh's mom still makes his favorite.

My spoiled boys that still live at home make request for certain dinner and I try to make them within a few days or that day if I have time and ingredients

I am a old south momma. The way to their hearts is through there stomachs:D

I will make whatever they request. I would feel loved and honored that my boys would want my cooking. We live in a restaurant and fast food world now but you still represent stability, love, acceptance and home. He wants to feel mom's special love. He just ask for it in a different way than a young child.

This is my southern mothering and interpetation. We deep southern have old tradittions and feeding the family is part of being the heart of the family.

My husband does this to his parents. It's ridiculous. He's picky. He only eats chicken and fish. So if they are smoking pork for pulled pork sandwiches (like they are today), he will request they BBQ a chicken breast for him. It drives me nuts.

We don't get to see our grown sons very often due to living in different parts of the country -- so when we do see them (say at Christmas), they get treated like kings. They have three adoring little sisters who will do things like bake chocolate chip cookies for a midnight snack if that's what they want. It's all in good fun.