Menu

What does your user name mean?

Mine comes from:

Having a child with learning differences and being told:

From the school, "He's autistic, and you're just in denial."

From the hospital that tested him for autism, "He's not autistic; he's just low IQ."

From my mother-in-law, "Well, if you hadn't done so much physical labor while you were pregnant with him...."

And, searching for answers because I did not believe any of them.

Never. Give. Up.

Edited by nevergiveup
punctuation

Oooohhh... you know, I never actually got that before? In my head, I've been pronouncing your name something like, "May-han-ay," and thinking, "What a lovely name!" I'm a little slow, I guess. :tongue_smilie:

Reminds me of the story I heard of an African woman who now lives in America who had a name pronounced Fuh-mah-lay. Turns out that's what had been written on her birth records in the orphanage -- Female. Which she thought was pronounced Fuh-mah-lay. Or something like that. I was told it was true, but who knows. Now I'm going to think muh-hah-nay whenever I see mejane.

It means my name is Ann and I like growing Organic vegetables.

A while ago someone asked if people had ever googled their name to see what they could find about themselves. I was shocked that there is a marijuana webside called OrganiCann. This is one organic crop that I've never grown and don't plan to grow (and have never used). So please don't get the wrong idea with my name. :blink:

It means my name is Ann and I like growing Organic vegetables.

A while ago someone asked if people had ever googled their name to see what they could find about themselves. I was shocked that there is a marijuana webside called OrganiCann. This is one organic crop that I've never grown and don't plan to grow (and have never used). So please don't get the wrong idea with my name. :blink:

Oh yeah right,.. Ann. Hehehehe :D

Mine is the name of a volcanic halite used in Indian cooking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kala_Namak

I took it on years ago when I was trying to learn to cook Indian food and I wanted Indians to answer my serious questions (e.g. how to I get the mini pooris for pani poori to puff up? What ratio of pureed vs. sliced onion do you use in Do Piazz? What do you add to khardi?) on USENET. An Indian name got me better responses.

If you've ever eaten at a chaat house, or had the brown tamarind dressing for samosas, you've eaten kalanamak.

Those are their first two initials, and I combined them to make my board name. I posted on the VegSource boards years ago, during a time when people from certain ISP's couldn't post until they got approval from the board monitors. The name I submitted was "erek's mom", but they told me that I could only use alphanumeric characters, so I had to delete the apostrophe and post as "ereks mom" instead. It just carried over to the WTM boards when I started posting here.

Kids Happen. I have been using it since about 1995? If you see a KidsHappen or any variation thereof anywhere on the net, it's probably me. My employees gave me a birthday card that had a bumper sticker in it that said KidsHappen way back when I only had four kids. That car has long since died and I haven't been able to find a suitable bumper sticker replacement but I still use the handle.

Kids Happen. I have been using it since about 1995? If you see a KidsHappen or any variation thereof anywhere on the net, it's probably me. My employees gave me a birthday card that had a bumper sticker in it that said KidsHappen way back when I only had four kids. That car has long since died and I haven't been able to find a suitable bumper sticker replacement but I still use the handle.

:DYours has always been my favorite;)

Dh was nicknamed MacGyver during Survival and Evasion School in the Army because he can fix or make anything using what is available. This translates to how he works around the home and the things he finds for the kids to do for fun, and it is a trait that I really admire about him. The stuff he comes up with is just so fascinating to me. So now I'm "Mrs. MacGyver" even though I am terribly "un"-adaptable most of the time!

Okay, I'll finally 'fess up - mine is spelled wrong! :blush: I typo'd it when I first entered it, realized it right away, but then didn't know how to get it fixed. I keep pondering whether I should bother the moderators to help me change it, now that I know it's possible, but then I figure they have better things to do...

It's supposed to be matryoshka, which are the Russian nesting dolls. I had a nice little avatar picked out to go with it, but then I was worried if I put it up someone would call me on my boneheaded typo... (I'm a big spelling/grammar weenie, so this has really been bugging me!) :blush:

Okay, I'll finally 'fess up - mine is spelled wrong! :blush: I typo'd it when I first entered it, realized it right away, but then didn't know how to get it fixed. I keep pondering whether I should bother the moderators to help me change it, now that I know it's possible, but then I figure they have better things to do...

It's supposed to be matryoshka, which are the Russian nesting dolls. I had a nice little avatar picked out to go with it, but then I was worried if I put it up someone would call me on my boneheaded typo... (I'm a big spelling/grammar weenie, so this has really been bugging me!) :blush:

I think in the Russian orthodox church I'm familiar with they spell it "matrushka" so for one I don't think you'd get called on it and for two, you could tell anyone who does ask that matroyshka is a "regional spelling" (just don't tell them the region you're referring to is your house!) and go ahead and post your avatar. :lol:

I love Russian nesting dolls! We have three sets so far.

Mine is because my parents didn't know how to spell ;). Okay, actually when I first went on the other boards I was so new to all of this I used my first name. When I thought of changing Nadia (Osmosismom), who I used to know IRL, convinced me with sound logic that I should stick with this. Plus, my idea for a new one didn't sound good online, so I didn't use it.

The reason it's spelled this way is so that it's different than one of my dad's high school girlfriend's names. I'm not kidding. I used to think it was ethnic, and if it is used in either of those groups, it would be spelled my way, but it's not usually used.

So, nothing exciting here. If I'd have been as brave as some others, I'd have used a name from one of those online name games that used to hit the old general boards (do they also hit the General Forum now? I just don't come here as often anymore, but stick to curriculum forums now, for the most part.)

Needleroozer--your hair is long now? Is there a pic on your blog? (should I look? lol Talk about lazy...)

Mine name is easy and obvious, but my avatar is from Monty Python's Holy Grail, where the Black Knight loses all his limbs while insisting it's "just a flesh wound!" Love it.