Menu

Looking for a good tear-jerker movie... What are your favorites?

I've seen Steel Magnolias and Forrest Gump a zillion times each, but I STILL cry every time Shelby and Jenny die. Oh, and when Forrest is talking to his Mama for the last time before she dies...that always gets me, too.

A Forrest Gump marathon was on some channel when I was in the hospital after my last c-section. Hormones, coupled with cradling my sleeping son and that scene with Forrest and his Mama--I was bawling buckets of tears! LOL

Moulin Rouge

Dr. Zhivago

Pride and Prejudice

My Girl

Life is Beautiful

Joy Luck Club

You've Got Mail

Titanic

I don't even know how many times my mom and I have cried over Steel Magnolias and Beaches, she's my crying partner.:D

I remember one night I was going out my mom was watching Mask and crying, the next day she told me as soon as she woke up she thought about the movie again and cried again.

My kids would probably say Old Yeller, they were so mad at me for getting them all snuggled up for a "good" movie, they had a big cry that night.

:crying:My Favorites:

City of Angels

The Story of Us

Seven Pounds

StepMom

Good Will Hunting

Titanic ("I will always love you, Jack")

Marley and Me

Finding Neverland

Brokeback Mountain

Pay It Forward

The Green Mile

The Village

We Are Marshall

Rudy

Okay, I'm going to blow my nose now.:crying:

:crying:My Favorites:

City of Angels

The Story of Us

Seven Pounds

StepMom

Good Will Hunting

Titanic ("I will always love you, Jack")

Marley and Me

Finding Neverland

Brokeback Mountain

Pay It Forward

The Green Mile

The Village

We Are Marshall

Rudy

Okay, I'm going to blow my nose now.:crying:

OMG, how could I forget City of Angels. I think that's when I fell in love with Nicholas Cage. Seven Pounds & Pay it Forward are always good for a cry as well.

Grave of the Fireflies.
This is quite possibly the most heart wrenching film ever made. I have no desire to see it again, but I'm not sorry to have seen it. When the Wind Blows is another devastating animated film.

Has anyone mentioned The Lovely Bones or The Time Traveler's Wife? Those both got me.

For the PP that mentioned The Mission, I would qualify that as more heart-breaking than tear-jerking, for me anyway. Beautiful film.

Any movie where a dog dies in the end I can't even watch! I started to watch Marley and Me but just seeing him running on the beach made me well up, so I quit.

I haven't read the other answers, so these might be repeats.

Steel Magnolias

The Notebook

Phenomenon

Old Yeller

Bella (from my 16 yo; I haven't seen it)

Caddyshack (dh: I laughed so hard I cried.)

Marley and Me (from my 13 yo)

Bridge to Terabithia

My Sister's Keeper

No one mentioned Somewhere in Time???!!!!!!

Also bits of Fiddler on the Roof make me cry every time!!!! When he sings Sunrise, Sunset...when the second daughter is leaving home...aargh!!!

The mom dying in Finding Neverland also gets me!!!

And when Shadow finally shows up at the end of Homeward Bound

Edited by JFSinIL

P.S. I Love You made me snotrunningdownmyface cry.
:iagree:

An oldie with Cary Grant and I can't think of her name right now. I'm not a crier but this movie really made me break out the kleenex.

Ohhhh. With Deborah Kerr? An Affair to Remember. SO wonderful. You will fall in love with Cary Grant (if you aren't already).

I also agree with previous mentions: Steel Magnolias, Joy Luck Club, The Notebook. I also cried buckets with a broken spirit over Schindler's List, but that was a different kind of cry. That was a sitinthedarkfor3hourssobbing kind of thing. Might not be what you're looking for.:001_huh: I also cried a lot watching Memoirs of a Geisha and Slumdog Millionaire.

But I also cry at just about any movie. I'm a kinda softie that way.