Menu

What do you do when hotel rooms have a maximum of 4 persons and you have 3 children?

We just always took the other kid in without saying anything. The girls would sleep in the bed, and we would make a little bed on the floor for ds with the bedspreads off the beds (one folded on the bottom and one on top for a blanket), or we would take in an air mattress for him. It's just one of those things our family ignored, as we couldn't afford not to.

When my children were that age we stayed in hotel rooms with two queen beds, and brought a sleeping bag so one of them could sleep on the floor. You have to check around become some hotels limit the room to 4 people, but some will allow 5. If the room is larger sometime they will bring in a rolling bed for you.

Embassy Suites are great, because they have a pull out couch and free breakfast.

We just always took the other kid in without saying anything. The girls would sleep in the bed, and we would make a little bed on the floor for ds with the bedspreads off the beds (one folded on the bottom and one on top for a blanket), or we would take in an air mattress for him. It's just one of those things our family ignored, as we couldn't afford not to.

We still do this. Hotels generally don't care (the capacity is about fire code). We travel with a sleeping bag for the extra. When they are smaller, you can push two chairs together if the room has them. The kids think that's a fun place to sleep.

It's usually not a biggie - and everyone here had good suggestions!

If you can get a king and a queen/double, can the boys all sleep in the king? We have done that or with two queens and we put two kids and me in one bed, and dh and ds in the other.

You can do it.......the hotel staff is not really going to pay attention.

Usually if your third one is still little the hotel will allow the 5th person in there with you. Most of the time they even have a little cot that they can bring to your room.

Later though your choices are two hotel rooms that join, larger style rooms (Embassy Suites work well), and worst case scenario is when you can only get two rooms and they don't connect. When that has happened, we then split mom and dad - each taking a kid or two.

Smuggling the third has never crossed my mind. I'm way too much of a 'follow the rules' sort of person.

ARGH!!! I'm looking at a family suite with a king bed and bunk beds. There is a 4 person maximum capacity. We have 3 boys: 8, 5, & 3.

So, do you get 2 hotel rooms and split up mom and dad? Or forget that you have 3 children instead of 2? Or search for 6 person capacity hotel rooms?

Ask the hotel. I would guess that they would not count your 3 y.o. as a "person."

I wouldn't be too sure that the hotel staff doesn't notice. I get very irritated when people lie to me about the number of people they have in the room. Or about the ages of their kids.

We have four kids. When we travel (which we do a lot) we either find a large room that will hold all of us legally, or we get two adjoining rooms and keep the doors open. Yes, it's more expensive. But we chose to have four kids. :001_smile:

If we don't like the policies of a particular hotel, we pick a different one.

The limits are usually about fire code. Fire code is written so that everyone is safe, even though it's a pain. We have specifically booked suites that allow 6 to a room. (Finding someplace that will allow 6 is much harder than finding some place that will allow 5.) We've also split the rooms with one parent in one room with 2 kids and one parent in the other room with 2 kids. When they were younger, I didn't want them sleeping in a separate room with no adult there. I think hotels are kinda creepy with the potential for employees to have keys, give them out, etc. Often, for the price of two hotel rooms, you can rent a nice cottage.

We lie. We just say that we have 4 people and book a room with 2 queen beds and bring an airbed. I don't like lying, but I don't like these rules, either. Funny - the cheaper hotels don't seem to have the 4 person limit. It is the swankier hotels with bigger room that quote "fire codes", which is really baloney. It really about "we don't want "those" people who have too many kids" messing up their image.

We really can't afford to get 2 rooms. I figure if we can camp in a tent together, we can share a room. Now, when my boys are college age, we may feel differently, but then, we probably won't be getting too many hotel rooms with everyone by then.

I've used a hotel roll-away many times. A few times, we've just brought an inflatable for the youngest. If it's an option, though, I try to find the "suite" type that at least has a couch. Then the boys can share a double, dh and I share a double and the girl gets the couch.

If I'm calling to book the reservation, I always ask about roll-aways. I'd rather not "smuggle" the third in.

We do it with college age boys GRIN. At one point, I assumed that we would stop when they were older, too, but older kids are more expensive and if you want to travel AND go to college, you probably are going to wind up keeping on pretending that you only have 4 in your family. It is one of the only places in our lives that I actually have consented to a lie.

-Nan

Did you call or just go with what it said online? I just today made reservations for us where online it was going to charge me extra for two kids and then wouldn't even let me enter 5 people for one room. So I called, as our 5th person is a 4 month old and it seemed silly to me. The guy on the phone said it was fine, offered a crib free of charge and didn't charge extra for the two kids, he said the extra fee for additional guests was just for extra adults.

I guess in your situation, I'd need to know how long you're planning to stay. If you are staying one night, it's easy to deal with a room that doesn't "legally" fit all of you. If you're talking about staying an entire week, it's just easier to find a location that fits all of you in beds.

We've done a number of things. We love Comfort Suites. All six of us fit legallly there. Embassy Suites - same thing. What we find frustrating is that many hotels' suites only fit FIVE!!! Why have a bigger room that only fits ONE extra person???? We've also "forgotten" about a child or two on occasion - like when we're staying for one night, getting in late and leaving early. If we're travelling with family, we'll stick a child or two with my parents. That helps.

Most recently, we've discovered Vacation Rental By Owner (VRBO.com). We just rented a 3 bedroom, 2 bath condo in Kissimmee for $488 for the week. It had a complete kitchen and laundry as well. It was SOOOO nice to come back to this place where we had room for all of us instead of being crammed into a too-small hotel room!

Good luck. Please let us know what works for you!

ARGH!!! I'm looking at a family suite with a king bed and bunk beds. There is a 4 person maximum capacity. We have 3 boys: 8, 5, & 3.

So, do you get 2 hotel rooms and split up mom and dad? Or forget that you have 3 children instead of 2? Or search for 6 person capacity hotel rooms?

I get in a conversation with the person taking the reservation and talk about how young the kids are, how one will be sleeping in a playpen, etc. If I have to, I'll say how hard it is for large families to get travel accommodations affordably, etc. I haven't read other replies, but it seems to me that when I studied this the restriction is NOT based on fire code (even though they might tell you it is), but of course is a financial consideration for them. If I can get the person to make the reservation for us, I go with that.

Although I would say that we're a big enough family now that I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to get 9 of us in a 4-person max. room. I would with a 6-person one though; but realize even that might be getting too difficult to get the reservationist to agree to.

We are military and have 3 kids. We are always travelling or moving. We have travelled with 3 for 13 years and rarely had we had to get 2 rooms and I think almost every case was in Europe. Here in the US, we have gone to suites, gotten rollaway beds, and sometimes had one sleep on the floor. In fact, since we usually now travel with the two youngest kids, if we get 2 queens, the girls share a bed. If we have 2 doubles (like in a National Park) one sleeps on the floor. There are still 4 but one sleeps on the floor. Noe my kids are older so I don't mind getting 2 rooms anymore but wouldn't do it with littles.

I get in a conversation with the person taking the reservation and talk about how young the kids are, how one will be sleeping in a playpen, etc. If I have to, I'll say how hard it is for large families to get travel accommodations affordably, etc. I haven't read other replies, but it seems to me that when I studied this the restriction is NOT based on fire code (even though they might tell you it is), but of course is a financial consideration for them. If I can get the person to make the reservation for us, I go with that.

Although I would say that we're a big enough family now that I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to get 9 of us in a 4-person max. room. I would with a 6-person one though; but realize even that might be getting too difficult to get the reservationist to agree to.

LOL, This is what we do too--call the hotel. My dh absolutely is not comfortable lying about how many kids we have (7), so we never make reservations online anymore. We always stay in suite hotel (usually Comfort Suites), so before a trip I figure out Comfort Suites on our route, and dh calls them directly and chats up the reservation clerk. We rarely have had anyone question all 9 of us fitting in a 6 person room. (I look at room pictures online to see if I think we would all fit, of course.) Our youngest 2 are in pack-n-plays, and the 3 y.o. has her little sleeping bag.

We travel a lot to visit family, so we rarely are in a single hotel for more than one night. We are just passing through. I don't think I would want to go this route for a week or anything. Then I imagine we would get adjoining rooms (those are hard to find though, I've found), and then just the baby would be in a pack-n-play. NO WAY could we ever afford 3 rooms!

Ah, for the ease of finding hotel rooms for just 5 people, LOL!!

I call the hotel directly and look until I find one that will accommodate more than four. Last year when we went to Portland, we found the perfect hotel. The room had two queens and a sofa pullout. There were tons of amenities that came with the room, too. We'll stay there anytime we go to Portland for now on.

You simply call ahead anonymously and ask how they handle that situation. I believe it's just an extra fee of "maybe" $20 (that's an old amt) for the extra person...and if you need a mattress they provide for a cot w/mattress for maybe $5-10 per night. Inquire up front what provision they have and to reserve the cot for you if you need it. HTH. Sheryl <><

mmm. Well, I always just make the reservation for 2 adults, 2 beds. I don't worry about the three kids. I've never had any problem and really cannot imagine a hotel bothering you about it. I've stayed in hotels with dh & the 3 kids dozens of times and never, ever worried about it one moment.

The only time I'd be careful not to do this is for cruises (where they are charging by the body) and rental homes (where they ARE counting bodies and you might get evicted if you have too many). I don't take cruises. . . and we just report accurately for rental homes. Resorts with lots of amenities (or all inclusives) might also be an issue. If I were worried, I'd just call the front desk and ask. No way would I reserve two rooms unless I *wanted* two rooms. I am quite confident that the vast majority of hotels would have no problem at all with a family of 5 (or 6 or 7) sharing a single room.

Well, we are looking at a particular hotel that is within walking distance of where we want to sightsee. The rooms are plenty big enough for all of us (it is a 2 room suite), and we don't even need a roll-away (one of the boys is often in bed with us at home, and we only have a queen). We are only staying two nights and won't spend a lot of time in the hotel. I wanted to book reservations online. It won't let me enter 5 people. I called the front desk. The gentleman said it was due to fire code and the age of the persons didn't matter. Sigh.

We just always took the other kid in without saying anything.

Hmm...Yes. I would most definitely be of "the don't ask don't tell" mentality when it comes to rooms that cost $100 per night. Also, I am of that mentalitity when it comes to dividing me into several pieces so I can be with all my children at once...

I think, in some hotels, it may cost $10 more to get a roll up bed, but if you don't need that, well, sshhhh....

Well, we are looking at a particular hotel that is within walking distance of where we want to sightsee. The rooms are plenty big enough for all of us (it is a 2 room suite), and we don't even need a roll-away (one of the boys is often in bed with us at home, and we only have a queen). We are only staying two nights and won't spend a lot of time in the hotel. I wanted to book reservations online. It won't let me enter 5 people. I called the front desk. The gentleman said it was due to fire code and the age of the persons didn't matter. Sigh.

Call back and talk to someone new tomorrow. Don't mention the children and IF they ask, "two and a baby; the baby has his own bed that we'll bring" [or sleeps with us]. He IS your baby as the youngest. I have a real hard time outright lying when asked, but not defining terms -- is that the same thing? :tongue_smilie:

It depends... if it is Dh, me, and kids we get two rooms. But then again my Dh snores horribly and I just can't sleep in same room as him-LOL. But usually it is at least four kids with us so we need two rooms.

But if it is just me and four younger kids... I get one room. I have had one place that said I could not get a room with four kids and me (they were 10,10,6,4). Sheesh what am I to do? I can't get two rooms and split myself in half to supervise them. So I did end up going to another hotel and just told them I had only 3 kids. I left the kids in the car, told them I have 3 kids with me, and I entered the hotel far from the check-in desk. But now.. I would get two connecting rooms if it was absolutly not allowed more than 4 to a room.

Edited by AnitaMcC

I always call and say we have 2A, 2C and a toddler. So far we have been OK'd for 1 room at 2 places and declined at a third where we got a second room and split up because they didn't have family room, so max of 3 per room. Most of the time the toddler bunks in with us anyway but i still tell them.

IMO it does matter and the fire code should be a real concern of you. When you check into a hotel they are counting bodies in rooms at the front desk. In the event of an emergency and everyone is evacuated they count heads based on those records. If the records don't match there is trouble, how do they know they are looking for your family of 5 when they only have 4 listed? I have been woken by a fire alarm (and a doorman at my room door) in a hotel and matched down the fire escape at 3am to stand on the sidewalk and be counted.

IMO it does matter and the fire code should be a real concern of you. When you check into a hotel they are counting bodies in rooms at the front desk. In the event of an emergency and everyone is evacuated they count heads based on those records. If the records don't match there is trouble, how do they know they are looking for your family of 5 when they only have 4 listed? I have been woken by a fire alarm (and a doorman at my room door) in a hotel and matched down the fire escape at 3am to stand on the sidewalk and be counted.

I still think the fire code thing is a bunch of BS. I have never seen a hotel clerk count the number of people coming and going. Many hotels have alternate entrances where you never have to go in or out the front door after you have done check in procedures. They would have no way of knowing who was there or not. There is no curfew, so who would know if you were out for the evening or not during a fire alarm. Why is it that only the expensive hotels have the 4 per room limit and not the budget hotels? Is it only expensive hotels that are bound to count people? And the expensive hotels that have huge rooms are the ones claiming fire codes when the economy chains are much more amenable?

I still think the fire code thing is a bunch of BS. I have never seen a hotel clerk count the number of people coming and going. Many hotels have alternate entrances where you never have to go in or out the front door after you have done check in procedures. They would have no way of knowing who was there or not. There is no curfew, so who would know if you were out for the evening or not during a fire alarm. Why is it that only the expensive hotels have the 4 per room limit and not the budget hotels? Is it only expensive hotels that are bound to count people? And the expensive hotels that have huge rooms are the ones claiming fire codes when the economy chains are much more amenable?

As I commented earlier, I either read some research online or saw it on a news show that did an in-depth story, but the consensus was that there are actually no fire codes that address number of people in a hotel room in the cities that were checked. It was something the hotels said though, regularly, and the indication was that it's to sell another room instead. Not in a "meany" way -- they are business people of course!! Of course they want to sell more rooms. But to blame a non-existent fire code sorta stinks, you know? You made some good points to about counting and the fact that the hotel has no way of knowing if everyone is in their room or not.

We have a large family and have squeezed more than 8 of into a tiny hotel room without lying on several occasions. I usually get those hotel coupon books they have at gas stations, Denny's etc. and call right before we get to the town we want to stay in. I ask if they have any at that rate available. They rarely ask how many will be staying in the room. Now, I will admit I don't parade everyone in front of them as we move in. This is usually between 9 and 10 at night and I think the night shift is less particular. I am also speaking with the hotel directly and they may ask less questions than the 800 number reservation offices.

I agree that the fire code thing is a bunch of hooey. I actually had a dental school quote that fire code thing to me when they wanted me to leave the vicinity when they were taking xrays of my child's teeth. I stayed because I wanted to make sure they didn't give her too many as they had done to me. I was outside of the room looking in and not in the line of fire from the xray myself. I looked the person in the eye and said something to the effect that I knew that wasn't true. After several more stupid intimidation techniques they finally gave up.

when they were all really small, we just put someone on the floor in a sleeping bag, roll away, or the hotel comforter. As they got older, we started staying at suite-type hotels-Embassy Suites is our favorite. However, I will have to admit, on our last trip we got two rooms b/c my oldest was sick (coming home after Christmas). The boys stayed in one room and the girls stayed in the other. I have never slept better in a hotel! :) No fighting over tv, everyone had room to spread out, two bathrooms...it was great. We had connecting rooms at one place and were across the hall from each other at another place.

Call back and talk to someone new tomorrow. Don't mention the children and IF they ask, "two and a baby; the baby has his own bed that we'll bring" [or sleeps with us]. He IS your baby as the youngest. I have a real hard time outright lying when asked, but not defining terms -- is that the same thing? :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Except I would probably say a toddler, not a baby. 3 is still considered a toddler, right? I would ask to speak to a supervisor/manager.

I have a dream of raising an entrepenaur (who can spell better than me, at least) who opens up a chain of family friendly hotels. Big affordable rooms and the whole downstairs is REALLY handicap accessible, not just a bar in the bathroom. Yes, please bring your 10 kids on vacation and enjoy the time together in your room! We welcome you! No you don't have to pay $200 a night to stay in our rooms. AHHH!!!

For the most part we talk to the guy at the desk. We have smuggled children in before if it was just an overnight thing.

When we were in Washington we stayed at Embassy Suites. It was pricey but it was a nice big suite with two bedrooms and a pull out couch. That was nice. Next time we are going to rent an RV. We found out that for the price of a week in a hotel and food we could just rent an RV. That should be interesting....

I have a dream of raising an entrepenaur (who can spell better than me, at least) who opens up a chain of family friendly hotels. Big affordable rooms and the whole downstairs is REALLY handicap accessible, not just a bar in the bathroom. Yes, please bring your 10 kids on vacation and enjoy the time together in your room! We welcome you! No you don't have to pay $200 a night to stay in our rooms. AHHH!!!

Sounds GREAT to me!! A hotel friendly to families with more than 2 kids--it's like a dream! It would be too late for us, but my kids are all planning on having big families, so I'm sure they would be patrons, LOL!