Menu

If you had to pick just ONE extra activity for your child....

what would it be? Let's suppose that after schooling and lessons were done and not including church.

would it be a music lesson of some sort? If so which one?

would it be a sport? If so which one?

would it be a club of some sort? If so which one?

We are incredibly busy. By the time school and homework and church and dinner and life is done for the day there isn't much time left over. We really only have time for our two boys to be involved in one extra activity. But of course they want to be involved in everything!

ds#1 is in piano but also wants boy scouts, karate, and swim lessons

ds#2 is only 5yo and not in anything officially yet but he wants karate, swimming, and soccer. I want him to play an instrument.

What to do? How do you decide? A sport or a club or an instrument? ANd still have time together as a family? AHHHHHH!!!!

Heather,

After listening to Andrew Pudewa's explanation about how music - specifically playing an instrument - enhances learning, I would have to say I would go with piano lessons. I would, however, consider that part of their regular homeschool education and let them pick something else they had an interest in or a talent for (sports, for example) if I could afford the time and money.

Here's a link to the CDs he sells on the topic:

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/catalog/7/music

I was able to hear him speak in person on the topic - one of the best seminars I have ever attended. I still remember what he said (the main gist, anyway) and that was in 2007.

I think much depends on the child--matching the lessons to the child's area of giftedness.

If your children can't swim, I would choose swim lessons until they can swim well enough to be safe in the water. I'd choose that because it's potentially life-threatening not to know how to swim.

I think music lessons are important for brain development, but karate can also be helpful in that regard with the crossing of the midline.

Can you children get sports in naturally--like in the neighborhood? If not, I'd do music and an athletic activity, though I know that you wanted only one. However, if you enroll your children in the same thing, it's a time saver and it can be "family" time at a soccer game, etc.

For us, it's Scouting. All of our boys are in Cub or Boy Scouts. For us, it's important for them to have group interaction with other kids. And Scouting gives us that plus leadership opportunities for my older two. We enjoy camping and teaching the boys self-sufficiency skills.

Merit badges and sports and academics program introduces the boys to topics that we they might not have otherwise experienced.

Plus there is the stress on physical fitness.

what would it be? Let's suppose that after schooling and lessons were done and not including church.

We are incredibly busy. By the time school and homework and church and dinner and life is done for the day there isn't much time left over. We really only have time for our two boys to be involved in one extra activity. But of course they want to be involved in everything!

ds#2 is only 5yo and not in anything officially yet but he wants karate, swimming, and soccer. I want him to play an instrument.

What to do? How do you decide? A sport or a club or an instrument? ANd still have time together as a family? AHHHHHH!!!![/QUOTE]

That certainly seems to be the dilemma faced by everyone. We have managed to juggle the 'desires' of three kids this year -- it all came down to scheduling. For each of them, music lessons were the first thing scheduled, and then their 'wants' were examined - especially with regard to various schedules.

My .02 -- you might want to hold off a little on the music lessons for the five year old -- perhaps a year of two.

Just glancing at what your boys like, my first consideration would be swimming since it is something they both have listed.

DH and I use the time that ours are all at basketball to sit with a starbucks and.....well, just sit with a starbucks and catch our breath.

Over the years, I have watched many families allow 'one' activity in addition to the church activities and music lessons, and I must agree, that approach seems to be a good one.

I would choose swimming - this one is the least available to adults and the one most people would put off. It is also one of those skills that all kids should have. I feel strongly that every person who is capable being able to swim well, can and should be able to (just like knowing CPR, phone number, 911 or equivilent...). One of those areas where if you ever need the skill, chances are that you REALLY need the skill, kwim?

I would look into some type of learn at home program for music for this year and reassess next year.

As for karate or soccer, both could wait a year or two. I started sports/dancing late and had no problem catching up.

I think of being able to swim as a necessary life skill.

Karate or another method of self-defense falls into the same category, but I don't think it is necessary to begin learning it at a young age.

My kids were in Scouts, but they found it boring except on camping trips. Part of the reason was that the boys' troop was extraordinarily disorganized, and the Girl Scouts spent a lot of time doing things that did not matter to my DD or to me.

I think having the ability to play sports (summer, winter, individual and team) is important for the future so the child will have a way to enjoy exercise when s/he grows up.

One of my children plays the guitar, but we could not afford to buy a piano or to pay for lessons, which I would have chosen because it helps with math skills. All of the Chinese people I know make sure their kids have years of piano lessons because of the math skills advantage.

I asked my kids to rank their wishes, and decided upon which activities they could do based on time and cost constraints. Time constraints became especially important when I had 2 or 3 kids who had to be at games or practices at fields across town from one another, at the same time.

Also, every activity does not have to be done at the same time. My kids were on sports teams, took swimming lessons and karate lessons, and were Scouts, but not all at the same time. After they learned to swim competently, they didn't need swimming lessons any more. Other activities were pursued for a year to several years before the kids decided they didn't want to do them any more.

Edited by RoughCollie

For us, it's Scouting. All of our boys are in Cub or Boy Scouts. For us, it's important for them to have group interaction with other kids. And Scouting gives us that plus leadership opportunities for my older two. We enjoy camping and teaching the boys self-sufficiency skills.

Merit badges and sports and academics program introduces the boys to topics that we they might not have otherwise experienced.

Plus there is the stress on physical fitness.

:iagree:

I would go with swimming just as others have said its a life skill. I hear of many drownings in the summer of adults who just didn't know how to swim. Music would be out for me unless they wanted to play, forcing practice is not a battle I want to fight. My grams always told me to pick my battles wisely, lol. Scouting was not a good choice for us because our youngest son wants nothing to do with the outdoors. Honestly, if time was that scarce for us as a family I don't think they would do anything. I would make some board game time or have time a movie as a family. Its a hard choice for sure, I hope you can make one that is good for everyone.:001_smile:

What to do? How do you decide? A sport or a club or an instrument? ANd still have time together as a family? AHHHHHH!!!!

Karate and swimming is on both boys lists.....so I'd choose one of those because it would mean less running around trying to get two kids to two different places each week. Find a school that has age appropriate classes for each on the same day either same time or right after each other. If they are in different classes, bring along school work to do when it's not their class time.

I'm sure the boys will be disappointed that they can't do it all....but remind them at this year they do swimming and in a year or so they won't need lessons any more, they can switch over to karate or soccer or whatever the newest desire is, lol.

As for instruments.....if you can bring a teacher IN rather than having to go to them, it takes less time because you can being doing schoolwork until the teacher arrives. Here it costs a little bit more, but it's worth it for the time saved travelling back and forth. I agree with others who say instruments should be a part of the curriculum and not really an "extra curriculuar" thing....especially if it's not the boys' first choice, as resentment doesn't make a good practice partner, if they're dreaming about how they should be playing soccer instead, lol.

The way we solved this dilemma is the older 3 boys take piano (we have a 1 hour block of lessons, and ds10 is teaching ds6, and when the time comes, ds9 will teach ds4) and Judo--we do this together, too. By doing group activities (we've chosen not to participate in individual team sports where we'd have boys on different teams), it allows our family to have family time nearly every night, and it keeps me from feeling like I'm running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

So see, if you put your boys in piano at the same time, then put them in karate or swimming at the same time, it's no more time out of your day than it would be if 1 was in piano and 1 was in karate or swimming :D.

Anything you can do together as a family. Right now my kids are swimming, because they can all do it together. Last year, my dh and ds learned to play the guitar together.

My first choice would be music because it is something to pursue throughout a lifetime, and can be such a service to others. Would it be possible to pursue music together as a family. Perhaps take lessons together? and encourage each other with practice each day?

It's scouting for this family. I have a Boy Scout, Cub Scout and Girl Scout. This fall I'll have another girl scout, middle dd will be able to begin the Daisy scout program. Thankfully scouts of any gender love doing scout activities and no one minds being hauled around for everyone else's meetings. :)

For the 5yo--he could wait for music lessons and sports and Scouts, but I'd put him in swimming.

For the older one--Take him to the same place for swimming lessons as the younger, and see if you can schedule their lessons at the same time. Then let him take piano. Piano is best started around his age, and provides a good foundation in case he wants to switch instruments. It's year-round. And, doesn't your school offer something during the day? Maybe you should consider adding an afterschool program to your school's choices that includes music lessons.

That's the other consideration--some things are seasonal, and some year-round. You might consider swimming lessons now (with piano, as I said) then another sport or club (soccer is great) in the summer, when they could just swim recreationally. I wouldn't go for a swim team or club, i.e. treat it like a true sport, but just get them lessons until they are good swimmers, then drop it unless they are extremely good at it and extremely interested. That way you could fit another sport or activity into that time-slot.

Scouting.

Kids can learn to swim without lessons and they can teach themselves to play an instrument.

Earning his Eagle Scout will have a lifelong benefit for my son. It is also something that he can put on his resume and it has already opened doors for him in his adult life.

Besides....it's lots of fun!

When my kids were little we did swimming and then one occasional activity that met their interests or that we felt would be good for them socially (is baseball and ballet). Then beyond church we added according to their interest, what we could afford and what we could handle as a family. As they've aged our schedule is a lot crazier than I ever anticipated because their interest in music and dance is very high and so much is offered. We've also have made choices on top of that for extras provided they didn't mess with the schedule too much. 4-H only meets once a month so that's not been a big deal during school and when my daughter really, really wanted to be in Girl Scouts I would have said no to another activity but it met Fridays after school and was primarily social so it was a relaxed, no pressure addition to her and to our schedule.

Those other activities have been so positive in their lives--they've provided opportunities for solid friendships and discipline and frankly my two boys do better with the extra structured time. While it's not "whole family time", we have found ways to counter the busyness that help, for instance I always sit down with the kids at breakfast before school (two of mine are in ps) and we make every effort to have one parent home every night so the others don't have to drag along to everything.

Good luck with your decisions. I was glad I kept a lid on it when they were little and am glad that they're involved with things that are so positive now that they're older.

Swimming, for sure. It's a safety issue, and it is one of those things that is hard (not impossible) for parents to teach their kids or for kids to self-teach.

If I was in your shoes, I would do 2 years of swim lessons (or 1 really intense year)--that's all they really need to be comfortable in the water unless they are fearful. Then you can switch to any number of wonderful things.

For music, we are planning on doing Phonics for Piano or Simply Music to start out--that way they can get a portion of their lessons out of the way at home without a teacher...no flames please, music teachers!

Also, we do swim, karate and PE at the YMCA. Not sure if you have that in Malaysia, but it makes it so we're not running around all over the place to get to activities. They're all in one place, I can drop the littles off if they don't want to watch or take them to play in the water, and I get my exercise too.

Well, considering the boys I just heard... one year of voice lessons? They were awesome! I believe that their parents will be moving them to perhaps piano... but remember when Church Worshipers could sing together... producing a glorious sound to offer? Well... you gotta find your voice to do that :-) Then... .a piano and other instruments are great!!

But soccer.... well... sports are good too... So... music for school... and sports for friends and skills :-)

No help, huh??? Just wait till you get to start ballet:-) They are toooo cute!! And always steal the rehearsals:-)

Are you asking for advice on what you should do, or are you asking what others do so you can get ideas?

What we did.....when dd was little and up until about 13 she was into any activity that interested her, or we thought was important. She started taekwondo at 7, before that [and after] was swim lessons, we did girl scouts, soccer spring and fall, 4H and who knows what else. As she got older, if she decided she didn't want to do something anymore we would discuss. For example, once she "crossed over the bridge" from brownies to girl scouts we moved and she didn't want to be in a "new" group, so we dropped that. Once she learned how to swim and passed all the levels, we dropped that. Everything got whittled down until just taekwondo was left. She is now a 2nd degreee black belt. She loves it, and it is something that she can continue for the rest of her life. And it isn't just something that she does once or twice a week....she goes 4 nights a week, she used to compete but is taking a break right now, she has to help with judging and teaching so she interacts with all ages and also gets leadership time. I think as they enter the teenage years they find their "niche" but when they are little they need to be exposed to a lot to be able to find that.

As for family time....some days are better than others but hubby took tkd with dd, I coached soccer for 3 years, led girl scouts, etc. We just found a way.

If scheduling is the biggest issue, I'd try to choose something that they could do together or at the same time.

We are blessed with the time and resources to participate in many activities, but I try to choose activities/organizations that offer classes for both kids. Our choir, for example, has many different choirs under the same umbrella, our boys attend a family karate class with their dad, I sign them up for the same swim sessions/times.

My 9 y.o. cracked me up. He takes karate with his dad and brothers, choir, swim lessons. He also takes piano lessons, which we see as part of school. When asked how he feels about his activity load, he said he wants to take soccer and Scouts and a Japanese class too. :lol: He said he didn't think it would be too much for him. I said it would be too much for ME.

ETA: Forgot to ask...can they take piano lessons from the same teacher back-to-back *and* take swim lessons (for example) at the same time? If you're going to end up at piano lessons and the pool (or wherever) anyway, it might make sense to enroll them both.

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch
Forgot something

we consider music and art as core subjects, not "extra." It is a requirement for both of my children that they study both music and art for at least 5 years so that they have some level of proficiency. If they choose to continue to a mastery level, i will let them choose.

the extra activity, therefore, should be whatever they really want to do at the expense of all others. therefore they can really enjoy it. if they lose interest and want to try something else, that's fine too. the "extras" imo are what the kids do to figure out who they are and where their hobby interests lie. my ds has chosen baseball for three seasons, golf for one season (and now for another, starting this spring) and right now, both of them are enrolled in skating lessons.

i'd personally love to see him pursue golf, but that is for selfish reasons...:D i just love playing with him, but we'll see.

I consider learning to play an instrument a part of education/schooling, so I wouldn't really consider it an extra activity, but I know that really doesn't help your time issue, does it?

Ideally, I would choose the instrument + one other activity, whichever you think would be most beneficial to that child or enjoyed most by that child.

For example, for my dd I would choose gymnastics because it provides her with good physical exercise/strength training for her body, most of her friendships have been established through gymnastics and it provides her with socializing opportunties (birthday parties, sleepovers, having friends to invite over to play), she loves it, and it teaches her some valuable skills (setting goals, working hard, dealing with disappointment, being a good sport, cheering on/being happy for others when they succeed, following directions given by an adult in charge other than her parents, etc.)

For my ds, I would be more likely to choose a club or Boy Scouts, because sports at his age aren't really a promising way to forge friendships, and although he enjoys physical exercise and playing various sports, he doesn't really have a passion for any in particular. He does have a great interest in nature, science, and the outdoors, so I think a science/nature club or Boy Scouts would be more suited to him.

So, I would think about what your child needs most out of an activity, which one would provide the most benefits, and which one he would most enjoy.

For those of you who consider music to be an essential, do you do that with PE as well? I'm just curious, because when I was growing up my family and most families I knew valued higher learning, music, arts, etc. to the exclusion of physical activity. I'm not sure which is more important...I hope my kids have a good foundation in both.

For those of you who consider music to be an essential, do you do that with PE as well? I'm just curious, because when I was growing up my family and most families I knew valued higher learning, music, arts, etc. to the exclusion of physical activity. I'm not sure which is more important...I hope my kids have a good foundation in both.

I consider it essential, but I don't think you need a structured class to do PE.

Before the school year even started I declared this "the year of classes". We signed up for five different things, although they aren't always going at the same time.

Piano/violin

ice skating

choir

fencing

writing work shop

My idea was they would get it out of their system and choose one thing they LOVE for next year. I also did it so we could see what kind of social connections we could make.

Piano and violin will happen no matter what, ice skating is a homeschool day thing and it's so awesome, I can't imagine ever stopping. Choir is a hit, (it's also a homeschool group) I don't see her dropping out of it anytime soon, fencing I'm afraid is becoming our life, writing workshop they could live without (but they almost cried when I told them I couldn't keep driving there). This summer my little one is starting a theater class...

My plan has totally failed. It's horrible, I also don't know what to do. These classes are all a hit, they've made friends, they do the work/practice at home. The problem is it's time consuming and exhausting for me.

We chose sports (basketball) because the kids have such a heavy academic load that we felt like they really need a physical outlet, plus they all love sports. There are also a lot of character lesson to be learnt through team sports. They all did piano for a while, but it was a constant nag fest to get them to practice, and none were really uber-talented. Soooo, I content myself with Music Ace software for basic music-reading skills. :glare: If we weren't so rural, we might have been able to press on with the piano lessons, because I really feel that this is our biggest failure as a homeschool family. We just can't get the sports out of our blood, lol.:tongue_smilie:

I would pick swimming or karate. I like an activity that gets them moving.

I like swimming because you can do it year round plus there are swim teams to join and summer swim leagues (not sure about in Malaysia).

My daughter is on an ice skating team and it is one the best things ever (not to mention the most expensive ever!). It has taught her so much, she has traveled, met kids from all different states.

We do music lessons but I consider that part of school.

I agree with others who mentioned that some things that seem like extracurriculars may actually be viewed as academic subjects. I feel this way about music, specifically the ability to read music and the ear training that goes along with piano lessons. We've seen marvelous benefits from this across the academic spectrum. So if I could only include one thing, and had to count piano as an extra, I would do so.

As for what we feel are true extracurriculars...well, definitely no more than one per kid, or we'd never stop road-running! And if it's a sport, with multi-weekday practices and games, we've never overlapped seasons (ie, one brother does football, other brother does baseball). Aside from that, we really study the costs (time AND $) of an activity versus its benefits for each particular child. Each one according to his own bent, you might say. This has proved to be a good course of action because it allows each child to shine in his own particular area, without some of the sibling rivalry (noticeable or undercover) that could arise. It also expands the horizons of all, as we share in each other's achievements and attend performances, etc. These activities came at about middle school age, so these pursuits are really something more substantial than some of the opportunities available during those early elementary years.

Our oldest ds is involved in pursuits that cost more time than money, but that will be great transcript enhancements (Honor Society activities, volunteer activities, student council). Younger ds is in scouts, where he has clear and measurable goals and a place to shine apart from his high-achieving brother. Our oldest dd is heavily involved in theater, where she has made terrific friendships and applies the musical skills acquired in those early years. Youngest dd is still just along for the ride, but will start piano in 1st grade next year, and then we'll see what develops.

When they were younger, we did things together, to keep it easier for me. But if I am truly creating an IEP for my kids - the ability to do so being one of the reasons we chose to home school - then that philosophy extends to our extracurricular choices as well. Yes, I am often one tired mama, but this is just a season.

Just my pair o'pennies.

Well, if I were forced to choose only one, I would probably pick baseball/soccer for ds10 and piano for dd12 and probably nothing for ds5 right now. However, given the choice, dd would probably keep soccer, no matter if it meant she had to lose piano (even though she loves piano). She had to choose once between soccer and chorus and let me tell you, it grieved me that she let chorus go! But she's very attached to her soccer team.

It would pose additional problems for me, though, if they dropped piano because then I would have to come up with some other way to answer to the music requirement of our homeschooling.

Personally, I do not let any one child be in more than one sport at a time and they can only being doing multiple things to the extent that it is necessary for schooling requirements.

Heather, I would decide on karate or swimming because both boys can take classes at the same time, same place, same day. My home isn't as busy as yours sounds but this year we are doing archery 2 Tuesdays a month and tae kwon do 2x a week. The boys are in different classes so we're at the gym longer than just one class but the classes are on the same day so it's not really a bother.

HTH

Guest janainaz

With both those age ranges and a busy schedule, I'd put them both in a kids karate class. You can switch it around during the year and do swimming or music to keep it fun, but I'd find something they could both do at the same place, same time.

Assuming I had the funds, I'd have a hard time limiting my kids to just one thing. Especially given that we homeschool and I like them to have the opportunity to engage the outside world in that way. Personally, I would definitely stick with music, and add 1 more thing based on their priority. If you did the same thing with both kids, you kill 2 birds with one stone as well! I have 3 kids...one graduated, one in high school and one in Jr. High. Between them all we have : Oldest dd is at CC, and really only does theater as an "extra", besides church/college group/etc. Middle dd is very musical and artistic. She plays violin, is in theater also, and has about 5 outside classes (choir,PE, writing, Brit Lit and Chem, art). Youngest son takes piano, also is in theater, Boy scouts, church choir (on Sun night, so doesn't take any more time), and PE (with middle dd). It sounds like a lot, but I guard my time slots pretty carefully. Some things are daytime/count as school. Some things are all together (theater). Friday nights are sacred family time. It's a season of life. Things were much quieter when the kids were smaller. I'm at max (meaning no adding any more activities w/o ditching something else :o), but it all works out. Dad is totally in charge of Boy scouts (he was himself an Eagle scout) for example. I feel like the activities that my kids do have been well chosen (based on individual gifting, locality of the activity etc), and really motivate, encourage, and inspire my kids in ways that are priceless to me. BUT, to each his own. As I said, I'd stick with music and 1 other activity of their choice.

The SCA because it is based on the ideas of chivalry, scholarship, good sportsmanship and is family friendly. There are so many activities to try, ways to perform service, it has an award system which is nice for recognition and no one ever gets picked on for being a geek because everyone there is a geek. ;) There are opportunities for sport, music and learning handicrafts.

Unfortunately your closest group is in Thailand, so it's no good for you.

:(

Rosie

I always thought I was a no activity mom, but as I thought about what I'd type here, I apparently am not! LOL!! When we pick activities we consider them for a lot of reasons - what they will do for the kid (round them out or help them advance in an area they excel), the family (time together or apart), educational goals (enriching, rounding, etc.), cost / value, etc. So, we end up in a few activities but for a variety of reasons. For example - we homeschool and home church. SO - AWANA is essentially Sunday School, and it's the backbone of our memory work at home for school, and it's social time for the kids, there are godly mentors there for our kids, and DH and I have a 2 hour date night for free each week. That's awesome value for an activity. We also do 2 sports a year - but we pick ones that are fun, the kids do at the same time, that don't touch Sunday or Wednesday (bible study time) and meet no more than twice a week. We don't go for expensive, time consuming or ultra competitive. We also pick ones where if we miss, it's not a huge deal. We don't plan to miss - but should we need to - we don't want to be shamed and guilted. We also have piano once a week - but again it's multi purpose. Piano is a school subject in our house and is treated as such on a daily basis. Our lessons are cheap and taught by a local HS grad, but she's very good. Our lessons meet for one hour total and are scheduled so we leave from there and drive directly to another commitment with no time wasted. They are also 3 minutes from my house. We'll be adding Cub Scouts soon - again - once a week, with a very timely group, godly mentors, etc.

What I have rambled on here about is that not all activities are bad. You older DS doing a sport may create a time for you to have a weekly date with your other kids, or DH. Some "activities" as a homeschooler are really school - just outsourced. No, activities aren't for everyone - but for us (we hit academics hard in the morning and early afternoon - have no neighbor kids - and like to be on the go) they can be a great thing.

Well, we don't consider music "extra". It is an integral part of our dc's education. We required piano lessons for three years. After that, they can add or change instruments. Dd is in her sixth year, and she added guitar. Ds quit piano after 3 yrs, and switched to guitar.

For extras, I want them to do something physical. Ds is in karate; dd is in ballet. Those are first priority.

We're fortunate to be able to do more, so ds is in Boy Scouts, and dd has done Celtic dance (doesn't anymore).