Menu

Is it too early for Christmas present HITS and MISSES?

Hits: risk & operation board games

Mellissa and Doug wooden foods (ESP the ice cream set up) real metal and porcelain mini play kitchen accessories.

A foot of snow.

Knex sets

misses: iPod nano ds15 didn't want it and already gave it away

hover craft toy that broke getting out of the pkg

no real misses for dh and I, a kind of dud tho for me. Mil bought me a picnic tote for reason I will probably never comprehend. It's actually very nice just rather useless for me. lol

Well, they love all the Playmobil that all the grandparents gave them!

DD likes the indian dress I stayed up last every night for a week to make... DS got upset when he opened his and later when I forced him to try it on :glare:

Stinkpot :tongue_smilie: :D

I did figure that they wouldn't be a huge hit right off the bat (I mean, that are basically CLOTHES), and I still hoping that when the thrill of the toys wears off, they'll go back and love the outfits!!

Hits: DD5: FurReal cat, LuLu, which is so freaky, Scooter, and Sonic game. DD8: Gramma's sewing machine. BOTH: Ugg Like boots, and Bengal's jerseys, and the rainbow in your room light.

It's really too soon to tell on the misses (aside from the stuff they're not allowed to open because it's just not appropriate).

EK liked everything she got, which was:

iPod Nano 16gb from Santa

art supplies (paints, brushes, canvases) from dh

Bath & Body Works gift set from me

Jonas Brothers CD from ER

iTunes gift card from grandmother

ER liked everything he got, which was:

iPod Classic 160gb from Santa

$50 prepaid MasterCard from dh

iPod charger for his car from me

RED CD from EK

iTunes gift card from grandmother

They each also liked everything in their stockings, which included: toothbrushes, mini playing cards, socks, hot pink necktie, lip balm/gloss, Subway gift card, Celestial Seasonings holiday tea, small Lego set, and other stuff I can't think of right now.

No misses to report but we've had a few hits:

Playmobil (Horse set and Camper set) - The girls love them!

KEVA blocks - DH and I had fun playing with these with the kids. We built bridges and barns for the Playmobil people until late last night.

Carcassone - DH and I just played this. Awesome game. Easy to learn, easy to play, interesting, we'll be playing it a lot.

All hits:

Ds 15 got a .22/bullets/clip, 5 Guys gc (restaurant), B&N gc, Warhammer 40K items and $$ (for new pieces getting released in a month), art supplies and various tools/tool box for making Warhammer models/terrain, Dremel, metal puzzles, new pjs, Wii points, movie tickets and some smaller items.

dd11: A lot of Build a Bear items and gcs (she has revived her old passion), doll and doll house (her own to play along with her little sister-her idea), Wii game- Ski and Snowboard game, Wii game - the new Mario, DS game, microwave heat pack stuffed animal scented like lavender, label maker and some smaller items, 5 books and a BN gc.

dd3: Large simple wooden doll house with furniture, Mellissa and Doug Ice Cream Parlor/Cookies/Play doh sets, heat pack cow, 2 dolls, book, Quadrilla, and some smaller items, DVD versions of classic Disney movies we have on VHS.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

No misses here, but we're not done yet. The biggest hits for DD5 are her American Girl doll, the doll trunk she received this morning with 10 doll outfits and lots of shoes, and a couple of Japanese Sylvanian Family sets (Calico Critters) that are not sold here (I lucked out on e-bay this summer when a collector was liquidating some of her collection). When we have Christmas with my mom, I know that the Our Generation horse Mom got for her AG doll and the plethora of Calico Critter sets she got her are going to be big hits!

DS6's biggest hits so far are a couple of movies, an Egyptian floor puzzle, his Lego dinosaur set, his bin of Legos, and his Lego dragon set. We also gave him $50 because we ended up spending more on DD. It "just happened to be" the amount he needed to buy the Playmobil pyramid he was saving for ;). DH also took him to his first semi-pro hockey game as one of his Hanukkah gifts, and he loved it. He lasted all 3 periods when DH & I expected that he would last through maybe 2. When we have Christmas with my mom, the big hit is going to be the Imaginext Space Shuttle and ALL the accessory sets to go with it.

Hits:

~Legos for all. Most of the Lego kits have been put together already.

~Star Wars figures for my 5 y.o. He also loved his birthday present, Playmobil.

~Trip to Mexico for all, with a special woohoo for a dolphin swim from my 14 y.o. dd who's always wanted to swim with dolphins

~Prismacolor markers for 16 y.o. artist dd

~Pocketknife for ds, 9

~Every little tiny thing in the stockings! :)

~And a new Monopoly game. The kids were so excited that they opened it and started a game right away.

Misses:

~Initially that the trip to Mexico wasn't a trip to Grandpa's. The annual visit to Grandpa's is the highlight of the kids' year, obviously, and at first they thought we were traveling there. My dad will get a kick out of that.

~Socks from a relative who doesn't know that my dd (14) hates to wear socks.

~MIL got me a Yoga and Pilates book. I do not do either and have no interest. Every year she wraps random things from her house and gives them to me. Oh well. She loves my children.

There were a few other things that didn't get an immediate woo hoo, like the book basket and a couple games, but experience has taught me that those are the kinds of things that get carted around to corners for reading and playing long after the Lego kits have become a part of the general Lego fund.

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch

Biggest Hit so far: WiiFit

I'm so jealous! We got a Wii, a Wii Fit, and a DDR under the tree BUT are not allowed to set them up per DH as we're going to be moving right after New Year's. :nopity:

Hits: Thomas train set for DS4, an American Girl doll pretend school kit for DD7, and a push walker toy for DD1.

My daughters hits were a CD, a check for $25 from one uncle, a tie-dye kit from the other uncle, a nice shirt from the grandparents, and a Fidora hat from me.

My hits were a $25 check from one of my brothers with a cute bear thing ... my other brother was a total miss because I was the only one he didn't include a gift for LOL :lol:.

Well, even though I was disappointed this year because I didn't feel like I got "good" gifts for my ds, especially, there were some hits, so it wasn't all that bad.

Hits for ds9:

bike- the main and only gift he asked for.

Mad Libs, Jr.- he wasn't sure what they were, but when we did a few he thought they were funny and likes them now.

popcorn tin with 3 kinds of popcorn

sheet set for his bed

bath scrubby thing with boy's shower gel (he really liked this, go figure!)

Hits for dd6:

doll from Target that she's been in love with

bike

stuffed animal from brother

Beautiful Girlhood Nan Harper dress from Vision Forum that she saw in the catalog

bath scrubby thing with girl's shower gel

actually everything she got was a hit! She is more expressive, though, and easy to buy for because she tells you everything and never stops talking! :)

There weren't any misses to speak of. I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed, but I can't help but think I could have done better with my ds. I preach that gifts are not the focus of Christmas anyway, so I guess I should listen more closely for my own good. I am taking notes for next year, though. You guys have great ideas!

I think the biggest hit here was a 4 game set of Nancy Drew Mystery Games. I haven't seen so much shrieking and jumping up and down in a long time (from the gift receiver AND her sisters, lol). Also hits were some Wii games...and the food (junk) in their stockings. :)

Only one real miss (some books).

Since my DD5 would sing "all I want for Christmas is a pillow pet" we got her a ladybug pillow pet and it was a hit. She carried it everywhere yesterday. GM also got her a game where an elephant blows butterflies out of its trunk and you catch them with nets????? We haven't had time to play with all the gifts, but that is the one that caught her imagination.

For us it is too early for misses yet.

Since my DD5 would sing "all I want for Christmas is a pillow pet" we got her a ladybug pillow pet and it was a hit. She carried it everywhere yesterday. GM also got her a game where an elephant blows butterflies out of its trunk and you catch them with nets????? We haven't had time to play with all the gifts, but that is the one that caught her imagination.

We got my son the ladybug pillow pet too. Although he says it's a deer tick. He doesn't like anyone to suggest it could possibly be a ladybug. It doesn't suck blood, it just gives tight hugs. :001_huh: He LOVES it!

DD got the unicorn PP. She loves hers too. Yay!

We got my son the ladybug pillow pet too. Although he says it's a deer tick. He doesn't like anyone to suggest it could possibly be a ladybug. It doesn't suck blood, it just gives tight hugs. :001_huh: He LOVES it!

DD got the unicorn PP. She loves hers too. Yay!

That reminds me of something my DD says. She likes fleas. She says they are so misunderstood. They really help dogs. Kids and their imaginations! I don't think they make a flea pillow pet :)

DD9, Our generation Girl Doll (Eva), real accordian...she has been asking for one, Apples to Apples Jr. and Zoobs

DS8, Hot Potato game, real guitar (just like dad's), Hyper Blast and Hyper Slide games and legos and the game mousetrap

DS5, Lap Harp, legos, race track sets, and Caterpillar Scramble game

all three got a microscope and the Liberty Kids DVD's.

so far, no misses...although, there still might be some....everything is yet too new to know which ones won't be played with in the long run.

Lots of hits .. the misses were all looney tunes:

*red-dye containing bag o'candy for kid that is allergic (as in immediately breaks out in hives and has breathing difficulty)

*a shirt with a large skull and (printed on) red blood spatters for my high schooler.. he says - not my style & would repel girls..and it's certainly not anything I want to see in my home or on any sweet child's body nor do the neighbors want to see that for trick-or-treat.

All of our Christmas was a Hit:

DS6-Lego power miners, marble set, don't break the ice game, batman dress up set, adventures in Oddessey audio books, PJ's, remote control hummer, transformer.

DS5-Lego power miners, skateboard, operation game, star wars dress up set, audio book, remote control hummer, PJ's, and transformer.

Myself-PJ's, house socks

Husband-Kenneth Cole Black cologne, shirt, table top calendar from snapfish of myself and the boys(he actually cried)!

Guest Virginia Dawn

so far:

Hits: play-doh kitchen for 5yo son and 4yo grandson, recorder (instrument) and watch for 16yo son, tin of flavored popcorn for for 19yo, lol. Also star wars legos, starwars figures, and bionicles were a hit. Chocolate truffles from grandma- big hit.

Misses:stocking stuffer etch a sketch for 5yo son- broken already (grandson strikes again), stocking stuffer Christmas Percy (thomas the tank engine) for 4yo grandson- does not fit on any tracks. All the junk my mom decided to regift me, which I now have to donate or find homes for. Popourri anyone? Christmas candy corn-yuck.

ooooh, the elephant is fun, but a little heads up for you......it sucks up batteries. Fast!. Either invest in rechargeables or buy a large Costco pack, your going to need it :0P

Hits:

Zoob sets with r/c

Snap Circuits

Tupperware shape ball for the 2yo

Biggest yuck in history goes to Zhu Zhu pets.

I bought 4 but opened one up in advance to see how it was. Yuck! It honks and has a train whistle along with a host of other noises. Since when do hamsters honk? It falls over when running across the floor. It has held the 2yo attention for about 5 minutes. Nobody else even gave it a fleeting glance. Those other 3 are definitely going back. Glad that it only cost $8.

Hits for dd9--

Mysterious Benedict Society book 3, and Sisters Grimm #7--She's read both already as of 10 am today! (Guess who stayed up with a flashlight...)

Art set from the lady I babysit for

Digital camera (very cheap--hope it works ok! lol)

Tea Terrarium--tea plants, like chamomile

Hits for sons 18 and 20 yo--

Ipod to replace one that was stolen

The Sting, movie for ds (he got a bunch of movies, being a film student and all)

Microwave oven for 20yo's dorm room

Didn't do much for dh as I wasn't flush with cash. Dh got me a gift certificate to a store where I'm not sure I can find anything! lol--he tried really, really hard. Love that man.

ds 14 loved his i-pod nano and his classic rolling stones shirt.

ds 16 is very happy with the cell phone we picked out for him but is annoyed that the telephone number has not been unused long enough and he is getting message from someone he does not know. We are hoping that ends soon.

DS 9 loved both his lego sets, very happy we remembered to get him a lego building board and is thrilled with the 2010 hess car

dd4 loves her babie cupcake set and has been "making" cupcakes for all of us. Her barbie with puppies at the park is so darn cute the mama puppy pulls the barbie along or pulls the puppies swing set thing(I did not know it did that), she loves her music box which is really a jewlery box with a ballerina in it, she has not figured out the boa yet, she is still searching the house for loose change to put in her piggy bank.

DH gave me a running book and runners watch I reqested and him being a practicle minded engineer got me a state of the art key finder....I love this.

DH liked his airplane and tools I gave for him, he is not sure he wants to keep the Ipod touch which I gave him for his trips, he's thinking that over.

Oh and FIL, bless him, gave me a $25 Starbucks card.

There are no misses this year. Everyone is happy.

Hit: Definitely the Thomas sets for the 4 year old. He's still walking around saying, "These train sets are perfect! They're exactly what I wanted! Thank you for buying them for me!":)

We also got the kids annual passes for Disneyland. Since we only live a few minutes from there, those should be a hit all year long.:)

Hits: Musical Instruments.

DD 13: electric bass guitar + amp & acessories

DD 11: new cymbal + stand & percussion accessories for her current drum set

DD 9: electric guitar + amp & accessories

It's going to be a musical year. :) BTW- I very highly recommend the guitars at Rondo Music. The packages are very inexpensive, but the instruments are good quality for entry level items. I'm impressed! (Just factor in the cost of a new set of strings to replace the stock strings right away, and keep in mind those little amps are really only meant to be practice amps.)

Hits:

For ds, the sand digger and Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots.

Oldest dd loves her Snap Circuits.

Baby girl likes her new doll and the play cell phone the best.

Misses:

Ds says he doesn't want his new CD (Beethoven's Wig 4... he loves 1-3, so go figure?). One of our relatives that we don't see often sent him gum, and he's not allowed gum yet, so he was bummed about that for a couple of hours.

No real misses for the youngest.

Oldest dd got a shirt from my aunt that's a little big and the style doesn't fit her skinny self well, but she still likes it. She's amazingly easy to please.

For Hits, we all love WiiFit and I am astounded at how much I love doing it. I'm not a big gamer, but this is great!

DS5 loves his DSi. DS10 loves his new games for ds. DD12 loves the art supplies she's been waiting for all year, and SIL really scored a total hit with the german shepherd shirt, a coveted book and a Border's gift card for dd.

Another SIL who had DS5 (we draw names) made a TOTAL miss in giving ds a complex Lego rescue set. I'm quite *sure* I mentioned it was the DUPLO size he was into, not the miniscule legos and not the huge toddler blocks. I completely hate this helicopter to death! He can't put it together himself. I started "helping" him do it, but something wasn't aligning right in the base and so the whole thing was ticking me off completely. How much do I loathe assembling things? Why would I ever, ever do it for fun? I could seriously just chuck the whole shebang right into the trash.

Here's a funny story; I hope it's PG rated enough for this board. My mom does a lot of "misses"; I practically expect it now. She is a thrift-shopper and yard saler and it is not unusual for her gifts to us and the kids to be off-mark. But to my 18-year old nephew, she gave something I guess she thought were just little balls or what-not but they were actually something else...I'm not exactly sure what the product name is, but I'm going to call them "Jolly Wobbles". :tongue_smilie: They are a toy, in a manner of speaking, but not in the sense that my mother would have thought. :001_huh: My sisters all recognized them, and the room when silent. Don't think nephew knew what they were, but my sister said she was thinking, "DON'T TOUCH THEMMMMM!!!!" :lol: My mom - she really should stick to products she can absolutely identify.

Lots of hits here, too.

Family;

Digital Camera

WiiFit Plus

Wii Sing It "Disney"

DD12;

cell phone

24 pk Sharpies

peace sign converse

coat

3 collector Barbies(she still loves to play with Barbies)

DD 7

Calico Critters

fuzzy boots

pink Converse

Barbie Pool

3 collector Barbies

We still have Christmas with my mother to come, and she got them new bedding, which I amhoping will be a big hit(I picked it out).

My new Red Dwarf dvd sucked. I didn't realise it was only three episodes. It was just starting to pick up when it ended. If they don't develop it into a full length season, I'm never going to watch it again. I don't know what they were thinking.

:(

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

DD9 - loves her new DS, sewing kit, Liv Doll, and lots of cute clothes and a pair of boots

DS5 - loves his marble run, MagnaTiles, Legos and TRIO castle. It's a building year for him I guess. I really wanted to get him KEVA blocks but they were sold out by the time I got around to the store for them.:glare: That's why we got the MagnaTiles, but he doesn't know any better and loves those tiles!

No misses so far. But I directed the purchases from everyone. And since I'm their momma, I out to know what they would love! If my mom had been left to her own devices...Oh. I can't even think of how bad.

We were very blessed this year. I am humbled by it all.

My new Red Dwarf dvd sucked. I didn't realise it was only three episodes. It was just starting to pick up when it ended. If they don't develop it into a full length season, I'm never going to watch it again. I don't know what they were thinking.
It's still possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Naylor wasted the better part of a decade trying to swing a movie (during which they could have really made Series 8 and 9), and I just don't think he has it in him.