Menu

Can you PLEASE help us think of a small, cuddly pet for dd10?

She has been very, very ill with Lyme disease, so we really want to make her Christmas special!

We are not ready for a dog, can't have a cat (dh allergic), etc.

We want to get her something that is small and very cuddly and not too much care, not too expensive. I'm reading that hamsters are nocturnal, guinea pigs are very messy and can be loud, etc. (Stepson has guinea pig at his house so we're familiar with that-wouldn't be good for us.) Rats or mice won't work. It would have to be something that can be taken out of the cage and played with; likes to be held and cuddled, not too squirmy.

The person at the pet store told dh about a pygmy hamster (?--can't remember the exact name) that would fit this criteria, but the only thing I can find online is a Chinese dwarf hamster and it says it is NOT a good first pet. We'd appreciate ANY help!!!!!!

We have a WONDERFUL lovebird. She has been a really great pet but I don't know if that goes for all lovebirds.

I know you said no rats and we don't have one but I have heard that they make wonderful pets. The other day I was speaking with the lady at the pet shop where we buy our lovey food. They have a pet rat that stays there and is not for sale. It's really cute and lovey and snuggly and gets out to snuggle with my girl when we visit. I said that I thought that they were nocturnal and she said that the are naturally but that they tend to match their owners and will b/c diurnal.

Ask around but based on our interaction with that rat, I'd get one (and I have a l.a.w. against nocturnal pets).

We know two families with hamsters for pets. Most of them have dwarf hamsters. I really like the winter white ones. They seem to be calmer than that other ones. They are nocturnal and might keep your dd up at night, but they also have periods of time where they are awake during the day. My kids have loved playing with their friends hamsters when visiting. If we didn't have 3 inside dogs I would consider getting a dwarf hamster.

Jan

I think maybe I am almost ready for a dog and would be able to get something small, but dh is NOT. He is not huge on pets anyway, and then his mother had two dogs that she wouldn't train right and it was gross, and now my mother is wacky with her dog and all that has unfortunately turned him off for now. Plus we really can't afford hundreds of dollars on a dog right now, plus commitment to vet bills. We are trying to be responsible dog owners, and wait til we're ready.

We had a friend with a rat and dd didn't like it-it scratched and was too wiggly, etc. (she has a few minor sensory issues).

I will go google lovebirds. Stepson has a cockatiel and they are LOUD but maybe a lovebird?

"Some" hamsters will let you hold them--but for the most part they will always see you as a giant to be feared! One of my daughters has gerbils... she has had 5 before the 2 she has now... out of the 7 only ONE was willing to be picked up without squirming--he would just jump into any open hand--anticipating a ride!

If you daughter wants a pet she can physically interact with then a rabbit or a rat are the two main choices left (since you x-ed the dog, cat and gp.)

My nephew has lots of allergies and has a pet rabbit--and the two of them have a unique bond!

I have friends with rats. The rats are so smart!

Can you tell me why rats won't work?

I've owned hamsters (both syrian and dwarf) and for the past few years I've been fostering fancy rats for a local rat rescue. Rats are much more personable than hamsters. They're social, smart, and males will sit and cuddle with you.

If you can find a local rescue, they can match you up with a nice mellow one that wants to be a lap animal. Females tend to be very busy & want to run around. Rats should be kept in pairs though so you'll need two boys or get a spayed female....

Hamsters are much more nocturnal, though one of my males would willingly come out if we called him & he'd snuggle with us a bit but really, he just wanted to go back to bed. I will admit that hamsters are cuter - but looks aren't everything and I have known a lot of really adorable rats. And again, for personality, rats can't be beat IMO.

People think rabbits make good pets but really - you need to think hard about it. Rabbits are very fragile, they generally don't like being held a lot, and they live a long time. Again, look into rabbit rescue in your area - they may have some nice social ones. But a lot of rabbits end up in rescue because people get bored with them or get kicked and scratched by them..... many also come in with broken legs because they get dropped by kids. Vet bills are expensive - even for small pets. Visit costs are the same, though the meds are sometimes cheaper because they're dependent on size of the animal.

If you want to consider a rabbit, read up on them here

http://www.rabbit.org/

They have lots of info about their temperament and what to expect. I don't 'get' bunnies; they're a prey species and their entire body language is a bit of a mystery to me. That's why we foster the rodents :-)

We had a Guinea Pig. They are not nocturnal, as far as we could tell. He was a sweetie, and cuddled, chirped whenever we came to his cage. BUT, he pooped everywhere we would have him out of the cage. All the floor, on us....it was like poop just falls out as he moves. Yuck! He eventually ended up with a new family as we tended not to want to take him out of the cage for this reason...not good for him.

I want a rabbit..they can be litter trained, and supposedly make great pets!

Search for dwarf rabbits, not 'pygmy'. There are several breeds of dwarf rabbits that are bred to be pets and are easily obtainable, and if they are handled gently and frequently from the time they are small, they will be very friendly and cuddly.

Another idea you could look into: a chinchilla. But I don't know how cuddly they are.

I always suggest a cat, because they are so low-maintenance and wonderful. I LOVE cats...even more than my dog.

We have had guinea pigs and a rabbit. Both are stinky and the cage must be cleaned often. I hated the rabbit - it bit us all the time and never wanted to be held. The guinea pigs were great! Cute, cuddly; we could read/watch a movie with them snuggled in our arms.

We now have a Crested Gecko and it is awesome. LOW maintanence and soooo cute and able to be held. No stinky cage and he only needs baby food and water.

Have fun deciding!

I would recommend a chinchilla. They aren't super cheap but they make great pets. They are quiet and almost odorless, like to be held and are easy to care for.

I would not go for a rabbit. We have a dwarf lop and I am not a fan. It stinks (we change the bedding every other day and I can still smell it), is prone to biting and scratching if you don't hold it just right and chews when it is out. We have litter box trained it for the most part which is nice but overall the bad outweighs the good.

Well after talking to many people, reading online, seeing what's around for local breeders...we've agreed to let DS (8.5) adopt 2 female rats for his 9th birthday in April. I wouldn't have thought I would be okay with rats, but we feel like all the info points to them as the best small non-cat/non-dog pet for children. :) Wish me luck? ;)

I would recommend a chinchilla. They aren't super cheap but they make great pets. They are quiet and almost odorless, like to be held and are easy to care for.

You beat me to it. I'll second the chinchilla. I had a friend who had one and it was soooo sweet and lovey. Very easy to care for, too, from what she said.

Some links: Chincillas as Pets, Basic Care, Chinchilla Planet

Can you tell me why rats won't work?

I've owned hamsters (both syrian and dwarf) and for the past few years I've been fostering fancy rats for a local rat rescue. Rats are much more personable than hamsters. They're social, smart, and males will sit and cuddle with you.

If you can find a local rescue, they can match you up with a nice mellow one that wants to be a lap animal. Females tend to be very busy & want to run around. Rats should be kept in pairs though so you'll need two boys or get a spayed female....

*another vote for rats* (plural, because - as Hornblower stated, they do best in pairs) ...I had two for a few years (only downside - they don't have a long lifespan, in comparison to dogs, cats, etc) and they were VERY affectionate, friendly, etc. One of them loved to ride around on my shoulders, playing under my hair and climbing in and out of my hoody. :D

My dd loved her dwarf hamster. The only problem was that they have a short life span - 2 years. For some reason our hamster never bit anyone except my dh.

We had a male pet rat that bit everyone - family and neighbors. We had to return it to the breeder after 4 months.

If you find rats to be too scratchy, stay far, far away from rabbits. They have very strong back legs; that's how they can hop. I much prefer guinea pigs. I had them as a child and loved them.

I think this list is reasonable:

If your child is under 6, consider these animals to begin with:

* Guinea pig

* Hamster

* Gerbil

* Rats

* Small birds, such as budgies

* Fish

*another vote for rats* (plural, because - as Hornblower stated, they do best in pairs) ...I had two for a few years (only downside - they don't have a long lifespan, in comparison to dogs, cats, etc) and they were VERY affectionate, friendly, etc. One of them loved to ride around on my shoulders, playing under my hair and climbing in and out of my hoody. :D

Yet another vote for rats. We had some real sweeties. Warning: get pet quality (fancy) rats not the 'bred for food' rats at the pet store. The feeder rats can have heart-breaking health problems.

We've had 2 hamsters for about a year, and they don't bite unless your fingers smell like food. :001_smile:

We got them because we can't have a cat or dog in this house (we're renting). They've been great pets! They are the bigger ones - Syrians. The smaller ones won't let you handle them much, but the bigger ones are more like guinea pigs and are very cuddly and playful. The girls love them.

One note - any animal you get will need to eliminate waste from its body. And that will have to be taken care of by you or your dd. And if you don't take care of that or train the animal to go in the right place, it can be gross. And if their cage or litter box isn't changed regularly it can stink. . .

And even cuddly animals won't necessarily want to cuddle all the time. They may need some kind of exercise. Even if it is time to run in a hamster wheel.

I'm just saying this because sometimes people who haven't had pets before just don't think all this through. And if your dh has issues with pets because of lack of training, you're going to have to be diligent to show him that this animal can be trained to be a good pet. Also if your dd has sensory issues, you can do some to choose the correct pet to alleviate that, but the animal will act like an animal. If it does something that bothers her, she will need to learn to accommodate the animal, not the other way around.

Again - you've probably thought all this through. But I just wanted to type this out - not to be obnoxious but to make sure that you and your dd have a good experience in pet ownership.

Guinne pigs are fun, fun pets. But a rabbit CAN be like a cat or dog if you raise it right and get one with a good personality. I've had rabbits all of my life. I've litter trained them and had ones that were like members of the family. I had a rabbit that would sit at my feet while I was eating a bowl of icecream just waiting for me to put the bowl down so he could lick it. Rabbits can scratch, but if you pick them up right, they won't. You just have to learn the right way to do things. Also, you have to clip their nails every couple of weeks but it is VERY easy. My daughters have had rabbits and have handled them on their own sinse about age 5. They love their rabbits very much and cubble with them, sit and watch tv with them etc. They are great pets.

http://harmonpfarms.blogspot.com/search/label/Rabbits

Scroll past the goat and you will see my daughter holding her Lionhead rabbit, Lily, and walking her on a leash.

BTW: Lionhead rabbits are considered a dwarf breed.

I you live anywhere near Russellville, Arkansas, I would give you a terrific, tame Lionhead rabbit.

Edited by katemary63

We have one that DD received last year (she is 10). She loves this little guy. She is completely responsible for his care and does a decent job. He poops a lot, but with maintenance (regular scooping of the cage and intermittent full cleaning) he is not smelly. He wheeks (makes the high pitched noise) several times per day, but it took him a long time to develop this habit and it is linked directly with the sound of crinkling plastic (like the bag of carrots from the fridge). He is a little skittish when you put your hand in the cage, but as soon as you pick him up, he is totally fine. He will sit like a little potato wherever you put him, so is PERFECT for cuddling. DD bathes him about once every 8 weeks or so and he is always clean and shiny. The whole family agrees that he is the best pet we have ever had (we also have a dog, a cat, and a fish) in terms of sweetness (never bites- except a couple of times he nibbled when he was a baby but quickly backed off when he realized it was skin- no blood) maintenance, and just general cuteness and cuddliness.

See this video to see how he behaves.

http://www.youtube.com/user/keefies#p/u/9/1GqDkSPZ-h0

the music is a little annoying to people who aren't family but we love it :)

Hamsters: We currently have a Syrian, a Robo dwarf, a Russian dwarf, and a Winter White. The Winter White is the most interactive and cuddly. This is ds7's hamster, and ds7 is able to pick him up and let him crawl all over his body with only a rare nip when ds7 smells like food because he hasn't washed his hands well. He's also the most alert, and wakes up when we go in the room.

Guinea Pigs: We currently have 2. I know you said they are too loud and messy, but they are very sweet and require less care than a rabbit. I love that they vocalize their desires when they hear me in the room.

Rabbits: I've had 3 in the past. They are wonderful pets and can be litter box trained. They are the most time intensive as far as care goes, I think. And the most expensive. Google House Rabbit Society for some good information.

Of the 3 types I'm familiar with, I would go with a Winter White hamster, especially if your dd is an animal lover who will get him out of his cage and get him used to being "man-handled" (as my boys call it).

This will sound stupid because it is NOT a house pet - be we absolutely adore our chickens. We have one girl (the kids named her Sue) and she will come from the chicken house to our garage and sit to lay eggs. She is cuddly and loves to be picked up and held. Out of 25, she is the only one. Also, if the garage door is not open, she will peck with her beak on the door to the house or stand outside and squawk until someone comes to get her and put her in the garage. She is a total love. If you get chickens and hatch them from an egg, they will imprint on the first person/thing they see. It is kinda neat. So...if you ever wanted a sweet, cuddly, and kind of neat pet that stayed outside, a chicken may be an alternative. Yesterday, I actually saw "chicken diapers" online meant for people who want to keep their chickens inside. Now, that is maybe just a bit more than I could handle (LOL), but hey....to each his own, right.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Diapers-and-Saddles/Chicken-Diapers-p494.aspx

My favorite chicken is a Buff Orpington. :) http://pastures.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/buff_orpington_b-i-s.jpg

Not a pet suggestion, but if your husband is allergic to cats, he could be allergic to other animals also. My husband is allergic to dogs and it turns out he is allergic to hamsters, ferrets, chinchillas, and rabbits. The only thing he is not allergic to are cats. I suggest that you check your husband's allergies before getting a new type of animal.

We have several gerbils. They are gentle and curious animals. They are also quite social so a pair might be nice. The require little maintenance and don't smell. I have asthma and allergies to cats and dogs but have not had trouble with the gerbils.

Life span is between 2-3 years. If you get a gerbil get a younger one so you can easily hand tame it. Ours nipped just a little at first but don't anymore. They did not break the skin.

If your dd kept the cage in her room there is a good chance your dh would not be bothered allergy-wise.

Adrianne in IL

We have several gerbils. They are gentle and curious animals. They are also quite social so a pair might be nice. The require little maintenance and don't smell. I have asthma and allergies to cats and dogs but have not had trouble with the gerbils.

Life span is between 2-3 years. If you get a gerbil get a younger one so you can easily hand tame it. Ours nipped just a little at first but don't anymore. They did not break the skin.

If your dd kept the cage in her room there is a good chance your dh would not be bothered allergy-wise.

Adrianne in IL

We had gerbils for a while, but they did smell. (They entered our home with the clear understanding that I don't clean cages, and so the cages weren't cleaned as frequently as needed.)

Our gerbils were also escape artists. I got tired of chasing them around the house (they always got free when DH was at work), and they eventually went to a shelter.

ETA: DH is allergic to cats (severely) and dogs (somewhat) and had no trouble with the gerbils.

Adrianne in IL

Finally! Someone mentioned gerbils! They are wonderful pets. We have one left from a pair of sisters and when dear Harriet passes, we will definitely get another pair of young sisters. Ours never even nipped. They are sweet, curious rodents and will run to the cage door when they see us enter the room.

We've never had a problem with odor. Gerbils are desert creatures and do not drink as much as other rodents. Less drinking=less urine! Yay! We use the Carefresh recycled paper litter in her cage. Harriet rearranges it to her liking :D.

Seriously, we have lots of pets (including two rescued rabbits) and a pair of gerbils are the least amount of work for the most amount of love in our menagerie!

We got ours 7 months ago. She is a Netherland dwarf and will only be 2-3 lbs. They can live for 15 years. She lives in our very large kitchen and we let her out 2 hours a day, in the morning. We love her. She is sweet and my boys are head over heals.

BUT....litter training her has been less than successful. Rabbits can pee outside of the cage while firmly inside. The also eat/drink their waste which I found out is normal. That's a big yuck factor for me. She chewed on base boards and cabinets. She has tooth problems than need to be fixed by a vet every couple months at $80 a pop. And she lives for 15 years.

My dh and boys are all allergic to cats and dogs and have no problems with a rabbit although dh's allergist had a cow when he found out.

I wish someone had warned us. I read extensively on line and found none of these downsides. But we made a commitment to this little lady and we will see it through. I am resentful though.

If we had it to do over, I would have gone with a guinea pig. I hope this helps you.

The size of the guinea pig cage makes a huge difference in the smell.

We built a cage like they have at http://www.cavycages.com . We use towels instead of litter. Every day, we swap out the towels for fresh towels. That keeps the smells from coming. Also, we use a water bowl instead of a water bottle. The water bottles always leaked. The water bowl doesn't. It's a tip-proof bowl, so we haven't had problems with the bowl getting knocked over. We just replace the water if it gets dirty during the day.

Piggies are very sweet. Piggies will live 4-8 years. If you keep your piggie in a large cage (like the ones I linked above), he'll likely live 6-8 years. I only had 1 piggie (out of 5) live more than 4 years when we were using smaller cages. I thought 4 years was the typical life-span. Now I know that the life-span is more like 6-8 years if they are in an appropriate-sized cage. The cages I used before were not any bigger than what the pet store carried. The cage our piggies are in now is 2.5'x5' and even has a 2nd level (just 2.5'x1') where we keep their food and water.

ALL these responses have been very, very helpful in weighing the pros and cons of different small animals!!! Hearing both the good and bad is great. Dh has been busy googling; I've been busy googling AND praying for what the Lord would have for us.

I'm hoping this thread has been helpful to others as well, if anyone else is considering a small animal! Lots of good info here. It is fun reading everyone's experiences with their pets!

The organization that trained my DS's service dog usually has dogs for adoption. They are generally trained (crate trained, housebroken, sit, stay, recall etc...) but did not make the cut for working in public. They are fully vaccinated and altered. There is an adoption fee though. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Good luck with your search.

Another caution regarding allergies. I'm allergic to cats and guinea pigs and rabbits...

Friends of ours have several hamsters - each of their kids have one of their own. And they LOVE them. All the hamsters are so sweet and fun to watch in their little balls running around. Very cute. I can't remember which specific type of hamsters they are, though!

These same friends have ferrets - although that's a pretty high upkeep pet for a child and the startup costs (cage, toys, etc) can be expensive. They're delightful little critters, though, and extreeemely cuddly. (I'm allergic to those too, though! LOL I sneeze the whole drive home from their house!)

We have had guinea pigs and cockatiels (and dogs, but those are off the list, and fish but they are hard to cuddle :001_smile:).

It made a difference where we bought the guinea pigs. Our best piggies were from breeders or owners who had an accidental litter and were hand raised. We have never had good luck with pet store guinea pigs. Ours never smelled and the only noise they made was squeaking when they heard familiar noises that meant treats (like the vegetable wrappers in the bin in the fridge). They would respond when you squeaked to them. Kind of sweet. They do poo randomly when they are out running around but they are hard little poos and are fairly easy to clean up. Ours used the same part of the cage for the bathroom so you can just clean out that part of the litter everyday and clean the whole cage every few days. The water bottles always leak and make the cage more nasty then the peeing and pooping so bowls are much better. Ours were little snuggle bugs and so cute and funny.

If pet dander is an allergy problem, wierd as it sounds, a cockatiel is a very good option for snuggling. They mate for life so if you get one at a young age they will bond with their owner. Ours is VERY snuggly and loves to be carried around and petted and snuggled. She will only do that with her favorite though (my 10 yo son in this case). Ours isn't noisy but does talk to us when we come home. Sometimes will just chirp a little when she is happy or wants attention. Boys are louder and more talkative I have heard, but we have only had girls so couldn't say for sure. Again, we have had better luck with private breeders than pet shops.

Hope you find something fun. I love seeing my kids snuggle and talk with their pets.