Menu

Help! I want to buy a boxed curric.

I don't have anything against people who use Abeka or BJU. It's just not me. It's not what I imagined using during the 20 yrs I dreamed of hs'ing. Any kind of box I'm supposed to fit in makes me itchy, lol, & worst of all, I have a knack for making things harder than they should be.

So I piece things together more or less, like many of us do, & I love the hunt. I love the discovery of something great. I love the affirmation of having chosen something that turns out to be award-winning. I love that my purchases support small businesses & families.

BUT.

I'm not doing a good job. I'm overwhelmed & frazzled. I feel like I'm juggling so many things & instead of keeping the balls in the air, I'm just ducking.

I noticed today that the car is nearly 3mos overdue for an inspection.

I'm 2 wks behind on lesson planning. I know you're just supposed to do the next thing, but I have to look at it & write down what the next thing is. Why? To make life difficult, I guess. Because when I don't do that, school doesn't get done. Almost at all.

My room got really cleaned & organized over the weekend. Desk cleared, sheets changed, floor vacuumed. Now stuff is missing. A pile of book orders that was on my desk is gone. New piles of stuff to put away have formed. It took an hour this morning to find my glasses. I almost never lose those.

Everything takes too long. Science projects take all day, & in the end, I feel like they really don't count for much other than playing. I mean...what did the kids learn exactly from melting chocolate? If they don't write reports, does it count? Now the fridge is full of junk, & the kitchen's a mess.

We got a Windows-eating virus a couple of weeks ago. Dh fixed it all, but now everything's weird & unstable. Word takes about 15 min to open. So I put pancakes on to cook, turn the computer on, burn the pancakes, come back to the computer & can't remember what I was doing in the first place.

I'm afraid I've gotten too mean. Stress effects me in a weird way--I get so completely panicky that I"m going to let someone down that I just railroad those close to me. And I don't do what's essential because of the important little fires that pop up.

We started the day w/ a strange guy driving back & forth through our back yard, then realized I was out of coffee & that dh had thrown away the empty bag w/ its coupon for a free cup.

There were also a few more poopy bottoms this morning than I feel was appropriate, given the ratio of babies to adults here. But that's just me & my personal preferance. I like to keep them at a happy minimum.

The weather changes here are going to make me schizophrenic, & I've lived in Tx all my life. This is just a ridiculous level of hot, cold, rainy, muddy, yucky. All mixed w/ an unreasonable amt of pollen or something awful. My neck & back have never hurt so bad in all my life, & it's mostly allergies doing it. I probably deserve it, though, because until a couple of yrs ago, I didn't really believe in allergies. :lol:

So I've come to the desperate & random conclusion that a box of textbooks would solve all my problems. Or maybe K12, where it's free & they send you a laptop.

I'm mostly joking, but...really, where do you draw the line between what would be ideal & what will work? As much as I prefer the curric I've chosen, I'm not convinced it's the best thing for our situation (read: a 1yo & 2yo & an OCD Mama who hyperventilates when she sees some of the things kids are capable of doing).

I had a much better whine earlier, but dd2 crawled all over me & accidentally deleted it. Some days are like that, huh? :001_huh:

If a boxed curriculum is going to make your life easier, give your kids a solid, consistent education and keep you from going insane, then for heaven sake! Give it a try! If, after a few months, it makes you completely miserable, then you can always go back to making your own. A "Boxed Curric. Sabbatical" might be just what you need.

:grouphug:

Aubrey,

I feel like I could have written this post. This fall has been very difficult for me. I struggle with homeschooling, part time job and my Dad died August 30 which has not made me want to do much of anything. On top of it all, my house is a disaster area. We just were doing nothing. I did register my kids with the state VA using K12 last week. It is not my ideal circumstance but it has already reduced my stress level some and after we get into the swing of everything, I think it is going to be even better. I know it is not for everyone but I am certainly glad that I did it. At least now I have someone kicking me in the butt to make sure it gets done. I know I was not doing my children any favors by going the do nothing route.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. I know it can be stressful just making the decision.

HI, I don't do a box curriculum. But I do try to get texts that come with lessons plans when I can. Seton for English is good. I also use Seton for religion and history (some years). Also saxon with the dive cds are a God send. Not that I can't teach it - it just is nice to have kids independent. We do grade math together, then they read the lesson (this is for dd age 11) and off she goes to listen to the dive cd. Science is apologia. Once again dd can read this on her own and we can meet for the fun lab stuff. Art is interest based and I don't plan ahead.

The weather changes here are going to make me schizophrenic, & I've lived in Tx all my life. This is just a ridiculous level of hot, cold, rainy, muddy, yucky. OOH I can relate - we are in tx and the rain is driving me nuts! I know I should appreciate it but....Why is it either hot and dry or wet and chilly!

I have each kiddo follow a basic list of subject to follow so when they need me for one, they can just go on to the next thing on the list and we will meet later on questions they had, grading or extra fun stuff . . .

Barb

first off hugs!!

Boxed curriculum is probably the only way I ever even started to homeschool. I was scared and overwhelmed. 5 years later I am still using one. I did do a year on my own and while I think I did a great job it certainly is worth it to me to not have to take the time to plan. BTW I use MFW and love it. Have you checked them out?

Well, I used a complete curriculum (HoD) that I thought I would only use until I got through the overwhelming newness of homeschooling. But then I liked it. So I'm still with it and have no plans to change. And I don't really have curriculum envy and don't keep searching. That's God's doing, I think He is protecting me from myself.;)

Just big ol' :grouphug: for what you are going through. I certainly think simplifying the schooling will help you feel like you are more under control!

I was just going to make a suggestion, but then I saw that no one else is. Then I see that you actually want a suggestion. I know you are Christian so go buy My Father's World for your kids. The planning is done for you. All you have to buy is a box. You can go to the library and seach out books if you want, but everything is in the box.

You still have to add English and Math but that's t at your kids' ages. It will get done. Honestly, I haven't done "Adventures" cause I also have older kids and they needed Exploring Countries and Cultures. They also have a first grade box if that's what your dd needs. It is simple and fun!

Precious Aubrey,

I so very much sympathize with you. :grouphug:

I remember something you posted not long ago about your children crying a lot. Mine REALLY.CRIED.A.LOT. My mom, sweet, humble, charitable soul she is, who raised three kids, has 8 grandchildren, taught and counselled children for her entire career said to me, "No children cry more than yours." Anway, sensitive children are a gift but also a challenge. It makes life hard, and it's harder to keep everything else well managed. Every mom has so much to take care of, especially homeschooling moms.

Having tried a boxed curriculum, Calvert, I can say that it doesn't really make your life easier because you do wind up having to make adjustments all over the place for your children. I don't think that is the answer for you.

What I would suggest is:

1. putting your own curriculum together with stuff that is "open and go," including workbooks where appropriate, that really fits each child.

2. do science and history with as many kids together as possible, remember "open and go"

3. make a weekly schedule that is really consistent, as much as it can be, so you and the kids know what to expect every day without having to think too much

#3 has helped me enormously this year. I can be very scattered when I have too much going on in my life, but this year it's been easy for me to know what the schedule is every day without even looking because 1. each kid does the basics everyday, and 2. Mon./Tues. and Wed./Fri. schedules are the same. We do science on Mondays and Tuesdays and history on Wednesdays and Fridays, geography on Mon. and Tues. and vocabulary on Wed. and Fri. (We have a coop on Thursday, so they get history and science there, too.) Does this make sense.

Anyway, this has been my experience. My hope is that simplifying your homeschooling with open and go curriculum tailored to the child and a no-brainer daily schedule would work for you over a boxed curriculum. LCC is also a great alternative.

All the best,

Kelli

Well, I might be the only one to say it, but a boxed curriculum saved my life and our homeschooling at one point. I had 2 yr. old twins, my mom passed away and my dad was in the hospital for two months then needed nursing for another four months. Without the boxed curriculum, my dh would have probably insisted they go back to school. I'm Catholic, so we chose Seton. It literally came in one box. It was thorough, solid, and rigorous. It was also dry and boring. But, you know what, it worked. My older ones could read the lessons plans and come to me for questions. By just focusing on the 3 R's, my 1st grader was done in less than an hour. I was able to tend to the twins, take care of my dad, running between doctors and pharmacies, and get the laundry done. One important thing though: I had to let go and trust the lesson plans. No tweaking or fiddling or re-thinking. I used them just the way they came.

We're no longer using a boxed curriculum, life has moved forward, my twins are 9 yrs. old now. But at an unbelievably chaotic point in my life, the boxed curriculum worked, and my children survived it quite well.

I'm not understanding how MFW will make her life easier? There's one project after another plus notebooking everything. Bookbasket is essential, which would require many trips to the library. SOTW is way more simple for history. JMHO. NOEO is doing exactly what MFW does for science so that would be no different.

I've tried a zillion times to do it on my own, and also have tried many boxed things (SL, MFW, TOG, BJU even, and too many to list)....I have concluded you have to find the right boxed thing or you will be unhappy!

I am content with Heart of Dakota, for this stage in our lives. I hope and plan to stick with it, but one year at a time.

I do find there is much more peace for me if it is planned ahead. I enjoy planning and doin g my own thing, but eventually it becomes a great burden and I get very behind in some areas or avoid them completely. HOD gives me bite-sized chunks of many subjects, and it is do-able! So I actually get to art, science, poetry, projects, vocab, spelling, math, LA, reading, music, Bible etc....but it is all really easy because someone else planned it perfeclty in small bites.

Otherwise, I end up doing math, LA, history, spelling....and calling it quits because I am exhausted and it seems too much to pull out the next thing. I do well with a checklist, so long as it is not overwhelming and TOO MUCH scheduled. So, if you go with boxed, make sure it doesn't plan too much for you or it will be just as defeating.

Y'all are so sweet & encouraging. I think if it weren't for cost, I'd already be *trying* a boxed curric.

And probably not liking it. Dh very patiently talked thr this w/ me a mo. ago or so, & I realized that the box wouldn't solve my problems.

But I can't remember why.

LOL

Maybe for the time being I'll put our workbooks (etc) in a box & see if that has the same effect. :D

I do need a schedule. The one I made at the start of the yr has been derailed by toddler developments & life. My motivation is completely sapped, & I can't seem to get ME to do what I need to do. Really, I think I've taken on too much extra this semester, & I don't know how to get out of any of it.

As far as SL (etc), I've looked longingly at it for a long time, but...it's not right for us. First, it would take enough of my time & effort that I really think it wouldn't be too much different from what we're doing. But more importantly, I've looked at the book selections, & my kids would be an emotional wreck over 1/2 of it. Maybe more. So I buy the SL books at 1/2 price when I see them on sale, but I save them & dole them out slowly & at older ages.

My son cracks me up. His first question is always, does anybody die? And I have to answer (often), well, it's a biography. About a guy who lived over 100 yrs ago. What do you think? :lol:

I don't know any boxed curriculums and they wouldn't work for us because my boys are at different levels for different subjects. But, if that's what's going to make a difference for you and keep you on track...DO IT!

I'm a lot like you. I get overwhelmed and frantic. Like now with dh out of work added on top of the lady who nearly totalled his truck yesterday. We're crazy here. I count it a victory to get out of bed in the morning. So what I do is I start cutting things out that don't absolutely have to be done. I don't volunteer for anything extra either. For me, this means the sheets get washed but not the blankets. They can wait. The dinner gets cooked but it's simple and easy and something the kids will for sure like so I don't have to hear the whines. For school, the most head-butting subjects are shelved for a few weeks-that would be spelling for the oldest and handwriting for the youngest. And if the soccer team needs someone to fill in snacks for next week's game, it isn't going to be me.

You do what you can, Aubrey. Sometimes all you can do is maintain. Hang in there and breathe!

Edited by Kalah
spelling!

Your sentiments mirror mine. I say take a week off and clean up your house. Really sort through your paperwork. Do all your laundry.

It took me a week to plan 8-9 weeks of school for 5th and 2nd grader children. Boxed is great. I really enjoyed SL but I'm Catholic and it got to a point where I was adjusting this and that so I needed to do it myself.

Boxed won't hurt your kids, anyway.

:grouphug: It is so hard and I only have 2!

I have looked into boxed curricula as well but I just don't think it would be easier, after having to adjust for different kids abilities, styles, etc. and formatting it to the way I like to do things anyway. :D So my vote is...if you don't think it's a good fit for you and you would need to tweak it anyways, don't do it!

I'm like you, I have to have things planned out in advance or school just will not get done. My saving grace has been setting aside 2 or 3 hours consistently on the weekend that is ONLY to be used to get school ready for the next week. And I don't go to bed each night until the dining table is at least tidy enough to start school at in the morning. I stack up all of our books/workbooks etc. on the table before I go to bed so as soon as I get up in the morning they are staring me in the face, waiting for me to get cracking. This routine has been my saving grace the last couple of months. When the routine is broken I crash. For example, this weekend we had house guests and then spent all of yesterday at Disneyland. It was a lot of fun, but have we done any school yet today? Nope. It is inevitable if I haven't had that quiet planning time.

Is there any way your DH can give you a dedicated window on either Saturday or Sunday so that you can plan our your lessons? I think that having that time would make a bigger difference for you than switching your curriculum.

Just my vote. :D Hope you find something that works!

I can't tell you how much I identify with this post! I even sort of have a boxed curriculum, LOL, and I can't seem to make it work. The lesson plans are not laid out into neatly organized spreadsheets and it drives me nuts. Science? Who has time to do science? It's a good day when we get math, spelling and grammar done and the baby hasn't destroyed anything in the meantime.

I had a friend GIVE me her HST+, because she never used it, and I can't figure out how to use it! I was sure that would solve all my problems this year. I managed to get all my books entered into the library part of the database, but I have no idea what to do next. I found some MUS lesson plans on the Yahoo group and imported them but can't make them work properly with... anything else. It seems to be SO much harder than it should! It is NOT "plug and play." I really needed "plug and play." :lol:

I would love to have something that I could just open and use. I have experienced significant jealousy over my cousin who uses CHC, I believe, and it seems to work so efficiently for them. I have LBC, and I love it, but everything is written out for each day so I have to put it into my own spreadsheet, or the planner they give me, but I wanted it to be on the computer... ack. Between the 2 year old and the chaos that has ensued after my accident, I am seriously considering putting my kids in school because I don't seem to be getting anything done - much less done well.

So! How's that for help? I think I commiserated but I don't think I had anything terribly insightful to add. I'm just glad I'm not alone. :D The thing with the box is - can you just do it and leave it alone? Accept that there might be some holes? Learn to live with what's not there?

In all honesty - if I could get K12 free - I would jump at it. And, heck, if they send you a computer? All the better!

I so understand where you are at. I am at that place also and I have ordered my ABeka curriculm. My dear hubby has seen my stress and all the time to take to plan for 5 children with the curriculum that I LOVE. But it simply was not working and we were getting NOTHING done. I was made, angry , stressed all the time.

So I frantically ordered Abeka last week and a sense of relief washed over me. It almost felt freeing to be free of the constraints that I put on myself and the way I thought our schooling should be. I NEVER thought I would use ABeka or BJ but I am and I think my stress level is going down. And my children are liking it so far. They can do it on their own without me saying 'Wait, I'll be right there' and I show up 1/2 hour later...or a poopy diaper interrupts us AGAIN or dinner is burning. It is simply getting DONE.

I know that I bought into the philosophy that textbooks are a NoNo for homeschoolers. I LOVE the curriculum choice that I made but for this season, it needs to be put on hold. I need to find the reason why we homeschool again, I need to become a wife again, and I need to become a fun mom again. SO if I have decided to use textbooks in order to accomplish this then I am not a failure just a wise woman who is doing right for her families relationships.

Please pm me if you have more questions. This is new to me also. But it does feel right and good and DONE! I have not read any of the other threads but I wanted to post because this was so close to home.

Trust your instinct. We do with everything else we do with our children - health, food, commitments, why not this???

In your situation I would take a full week off of school. Spend it organizing and planning the rest of the year. Use an excel spreadsheet or word document, or handwrite it if you don't mind.

I do this in the summer, but occassionally we add or replace something during the year and I need to plan for it. If it's not on the list, it doesn't get done, so I have to put it on the list. I go through each book, listing the assignments for the entire year, and then enter it on my computer. Then I print out a list (mine's weekly), so Monday might look something like this:

Math pg 112-113

English pg. 105-116

Spelling pg. 110-111

Science pg. 143-144, plus magnet experiment

Once everything is planned, that part of my brain can relax and I can focus on the actual teaching. Without a plan, I can't function, since do the next thing is too vague for me and I get off track. I use Homeschool Easy Records, but it doesn't sound like you have the time or energy to spend learning a new software program, so that's why I suggested using Word, Excel, or a notebook.

Oh well.

How about a check off list that you can print out? It's kind of a middle path between planning, which is very time consuming, and just doing the next thing, which can leave you feeling like you're never sure if you're finished.

So, for instance, for a week for your oldest:

M. Spelling, math lesson, facts practice, Bible lesson, grammar lesson, reading aloud, one chapter of SOTW, writing lesson

T. Spelling, math lesson, facts practice, Bible lesson, grammar lesson, reading aloud, summary of SOTW chapter, editing of writing lesson.

W. Spelling, math lesson, facts practice, Bible lesson, grammar lesson, reading aloud, one science chapter or experiment, editing of SOTW chapter summary, dictation.

Th. Spelling, math lesson, facts practice, Bible lesson, grammar lesson, reading aloud, science experiment writeup or chapter summary, art or history project

F. Spelling, math lesson, facts practice, Bible lesson, Editor in Chief, reading aloud from supplemental history book, science chapter, music--learning one or two songs coming up in church on Sunday if you don't have anything else in mind.

So that way you lay this out on a grid, and star the things you should do each day, and cross them off as you do them. Leave room for unscheduled stuff at the bottom of the grid so you can write it in.

A boxed curriculum will save you the time that you spend planning lessons. For me that is the selling point on the box. My prefered box with my olders was SL but with my youngers it is MFW. Finding the best fit with a box curriculum is essential. Instead of planning lessons, researching curriculum, wondering if I'm doing too much or too little .....I can spend my time working with the kids and doing all the other stuff that needs to be done.

BUT if you don't have a plan and schedule that you follow it doesn't matter what box or how much money you spend if it doesn't get done. Regardless if you choose box or K12 or doing your own thing....your daily routine is going to be the deciding factor about how much does or does not get done in your home.

If you are happy with your curriculum choices then work on a schedule that will work. Would doing something like workboxes work for you?

Once you find that rut....I mean routine.... don't let anything change it!

They can do it on their own without me saying 'Wait, I'll be right there' and I show up 1/2 hour later...or a poopy diaper interrupts us AGAIN or dinner is burning. It is simply getting DONE.

This, right here, is what appeals to me about text/work books. Something the kids can do THEMSELVES.

We are doing OK with MUS; they get it most of the time and can work through it on their own. I did learn, though, that when they *don't* get it, they make it up as they go, rather than asking me for help. :001_huh:

We are using Simply Grammar with the same idea - independence. Not so much just yet. I have to teach Emma how to use the proofreading marks and generally get them to READ DIRECTIONS so they know what they are supposed to do. :glare:

I am mostly in a muddle with how much of their history reading I can let them do on their own. I *want* to read it to them, but honestly, Schmooey just makes it too hard. I think they would do best with stuff I could hand them with a checklist and say, "have fun!" but we don't have that right now.

I told dh to sell a kidney so we could send Schmooey to preschool but apparently he thought I was kidding. :D We're still muddling through with the baby doing his level best to make sure we get nothing done.

Why not try something like winterpromise or sonlight. Boxed enough in that all the lesson plans are right there for you, but not textbook focused kwim.

I used Sonlight through four Cores because Mom-planned meant it wasn't getting done consistently prior to that. We had done Sonlight PK and K some years back, so I knew what I was doing. I let go and let Sonlight do it for me, and it mostly matched my priorities and it got done. I used the library and books borrowed from friends mostly, and I bought used IG's so it wasn't too bad $-wise.

This year is entirely different though. My oldest is working almost entirely on his own thing through a co-op, so my younger one is indeed in textbooks because she needed to handle her own studies while I keep my oldest going and deal with heavy eldercare issues this year. IMHO textbooks in 5th grade is very different than textbooks with littles though. I can't imagine coordinating textbooks and all the grading for multiple kids younger than the age where they can teach themselves. My 5th grader does her own grading each day and comes to me when she's stuck or gets more than 2-3 wrong, and then I look through all her work on Friday night to see where she is and address any problem areas then on Monday. Thus far it's working for us, and I'm figuring that she'll be using mostly textbooks next year too.

I hope you get it figured out!

Suggesting Christian Light Education. It's really thorough, self-paced, and is consumable (a problem for cost, although it's quite cheap...but great for kids). One of the only programs I've seen that is workbook based yet very complete, teaches a lot and eventually teaches critical thinking.

OK, I'd say, "Go for it!" I use A Beka. And when I was teaching school, I was the type of teacher who eschewed the text book (I taught jr. high sceince). I had so many cool experiments, demonstrations, I wrote my own notes. Not to pat myself on the back, but many of my former students are majoring in science related fields in college because I inspired them. But... then comes real life. When I'm able to, I supplement with cool things - living books, experiments, all the good stuff. But when the house is a mess and the kids are whining and when right in the middle of the best lesson possible that I spent so much time and energy preparing and collecting materials - my 5 year old heaves a heavy sigh and says, "Are we done yet?" I'm glad I have A Beka. It's a good, solid curriculum and I feel that the lessons are easy to teach, and well planned out. So, don't feel bad. It's not an either/or situation. You can do both, but when you can't do what you really really want to do, you can still feel like you're giving your kids a good education and you're not killing yourself in the process.

I don't have anything against people who use Abeka or BJU. It's just not me. It's not what I imagined using during the 20 yrs I dreamed of hs'ing. Any kind of box I'm supposed to fit in makes me itchy, lol, & worst of all, I have a knack for making things harder than they should be.

So I piece things together more or less, like many of us do, & I love the hunt. I love the discovery of something great. I love the affirmation of having chosen something that turns out to be award-winning. I love that my purchases support small businesses & families.

BUT.

I'm not doing a good job. I'm overwhelmed & frazzled. I feel like I'm juggling so many things & instead of keeping the balls in the air, I'm just ducking.

I noticed today that the car is nearly 3mos overdue for an inspection.

I'm 2 wks behind on lesson planning. I know you're just supposed to do the next thing, but I have to look at it & write down what the next thing is. Why? To make life difficult, I guess. Because when I don't do that, school doesn't get done. Almost at all.

My room got really cleaned & organized over the weekend. Desk cleared, sheets changed, floor vacuumed. Now stuff is missing. A pile of book orders that was on my desk is gone. New piles of stuff to put away have formed. It took an hour this morning to find my glasses. I almost never lose those.

Everything takes too long. Science projects take all day, & in the end, I feel like they really don't count for much other than playing. I mean...what did the kids learn exactly from melting chocolate? If they don't write reports, does it count? Now the fridge is full of junk, & the kitchen's a mess.

We got a Windows-eating virus a couple of weeks ago. Dh fixed it all, but now everything's weird & unstable. Word takes about 15 min to open. So I put pancakes on to cook, turn the computer on, burn the pancakes, come back to the computer & can't remember what I was doing in the first place.

I'm afraid I've gotten too mean. Stress effects me in a weird way--I get so completely panicky that I"m going to let someone down that I just railroad those close to me. And I don't do what's essential because of the important little fires that pop up.

We started the day w/ a strange guy driving back & forth through our back yard, then realized I was out of coffee & that dh had thrown away the empty bag w/ its coupon for a free cup.

There were also a few more poopy bottoms this morning than I feel was appropriate, given the ratio of babies to adults here. But that's just me & my personal preferance. I like to keep them at a happy minimum.

The weather changes here are going to make me schizophrenic, & I've lived in Tx all my life. This is just a ridiculous level of hot, cold, rainy, muddy, yucky. All mixed w/ an unreasonable amt of pollen or something awful. My neck & back have never hurt so bad in all my life, & it's mostly allergies doing it. I probably deserve it, though, because until a couple of yrs ago, I didn't really believe in allergies. :lol:

So I've come to the desperate & random conclusion that a box of textbooks would solve all my problems. Or maybe K12, where it's free & they send you a laptop.

I'm mostly joking, but...really, where do you draw the line between what would be ideal & what will work? As much as I prefer the curric I've chosen, I'm not convinced it's the best thing for our situation (read: a 1yo & 2yo & an OCD Mama who hyperventilates when she sees some of the things kids are capable of doing).

I had a much better whine earlier, but dd2 crawled all over me & accidentally deleted it. Some days are like that, huh? :001_huh:

If you have multiple kids, I've heard using a Sonlight core somewhere in the middle and grouping them all together with less-intensive activities/participation for the youngers, and extra/more intensive stuff for the olders works well and doesn't require so much "mom hassle."

I know people who do something quite similar with Oak Meadow, especially in the Pre-K to grade 4 range. They just use maths at each kid's level.

It's certainly something to think about, and you still get to tweak to make it work for each kid, and you can still supplement with whatever goodies you find, too.

I'm all for simplifying that which doesn't need to be complicated in the first place. :001_smile:

First of all, lots of hugs:grouphug::grouphug:and steal some Halloween candy, you deserve it.

Second, I have been doing K12 for 12 yrs now and it aint all bad. And I am the biggest control freak in the world.

I think it takes the pressure off. The planning, the attendance , the paperwork, its just maddening to me. I just wanted it to be in a box w/a bow. K12 does that.

It is not for everyone, but if you can get it for free, why not. Try it for a year and see if it takes the pressure off. Plus, it will help later when you have two, three and four in school.

Its a solid curriculum and lots of flexibility.

HTH,

Jet

The thing I was going to suggest is to take a deep breath and relax. Your kids are really young and giving them a strong foundation should take precedence over everything else academically. History, science, art, etc are great but if they have a good foundation, those subjects will be able to be studied in much deeper ways when they are older.

Another option is to use a "boxed" curriculum for the 3Rs and do science and history more varied. Christian Light is a good choice. Their math, reading, and LA are gentle but thorough. I have not used any other subjects.

Edited by HiddenJewel

Y'all were supposed to talk me into or out of the boxed curric. But the hugs are nice, too.

*insert insane laughter & strange unfocused gaze* ;)

*no, no, better yet, insert nap time* :D

I only have one Aubrey. And he is 9 now. We are in our 4th year of using K12. I get it through a Virtual State Academy, so it is all free including the computer and money toward my internet. Lately, all I can think of is how much I'd LOVE to put my own stuff together.

Grass is always green eh?

In your situation I would take a full week off of school. Spend it organizing and planning the rest of the year. Use an excel spreadsheet or word document, or handwrite it if you don't mind.

:iagree: I use lots of forms from donnayoung.org and do a master plan at the beginning of each year, then I write out a weekly plan one week at a time, pulling from the master plan tweaking as necessary.

We used a box curriculum for three years and it worked well enough until I felt we needed, and I could handle, something different.

:grouphug: This year has been crazy. We're in our sixth year, on week 10 of school. Every week we've had something interrupt our schedule and only completed four days of school. Today we had a sick day.

If you want to do a box, it wouldn't hurt. If you don't want to, take off a few days to plan and then throw it all in a box and label it Aubrey's box. There, your own boxed curriculum.

Suggesting Christian Light Education. It's really thorough, self-paced, and is consumable (a problem for cost, although it's quite cheap...but great for kids). One of the only programs I've seen that is workbook based yet very complete, teaches a lot and eventually teaches critical thinking.

If I ever need to do it, we would go CLE all the way.

I guess AWOA would be a boxed curr. or more like a single book curr. I would suggest looking into it. Although it is geared for 4th-8th so maybe not just yet for you Aubrey. All I know is this has made a world of difference at our home. It is really open and go. Everything except math. There are library books needed but not many and you chose whichever ones you want on the topic. There are projects but none that are extensive and none that you are required to do. New this will cost you 125.00 shipping included for everything. We use our own student pages. There is a great Yahoo website with tons of free stuff. We use MEP math which is free and that covers everything we need right now. I know there have been some issues about the future volumes not comming out but we are going to use what there is a then look for something else.

Y'all were supposed to talk me into or out of the boxed curric. But the hugs are nice, too.

Don't do it. I was feeling much the same last spring. I spent all this time planning school and it *never* went the way I wanted it to. I concluded a box curriculum would be better so I could just do school and not have to plan it. I spent an insane amount of money and bought HOD and I hate it. We lasted all of a week and we've gone back to good old FLL, singapore math, SOTW, science hit or miss and reading, reading, reading. Now I have an entire curriculum, a lot of wasted money and I'm doing school much like I did last year. At least it gets done and done well most of the time.

Don't "get on the bus" (sorry, had to put that in there - no offense intended anywhere).

It looks like you have gotten a lot of great advice. I just wanted to tell you I can empathize with your situation. I went with Calvert this year. I thought it would be good with a very busy schedule, babies, and deployed husband. Now it hasn't been a bad year but waaay to much money. I feel obligated to finish it because I bought it (unless someone wants to by 4th, 3rd and 1st).;)

I really miss the curricula I pulled together. Lesson learned albeit a pricey one.

I was tempted to do a box this year - life is hectic and I don't expect it to get better in the short term. I settled for some more workbook driven basics (GWG instead of FLL, TT for my oldest, handwriting workbooks, etc) buying SOTW on CD, getting more read alouds on CD or from audible, and being "ok" with science being pretty random. I am pretty content and like that I don't feel behind to a schedule someone else wrote. I also like that when I can give extra I can plan it myself.

It's hard though I know. I really hate feeling like I'm failing or floundering all the time.

Aubrey,

When I started home schooling I had a 5, 4, 3, 1 and bun in the oven. I was all, "I won't used a box curriculum. It's too much like p.s. I can provide a better education." (all proud and snotty!)

Insert your post. Too many other things to do, too many little people, not enough school work...finally frazzled momma.

I went very scripted for a few years. Pulled away from scripts when the oldest was in 4th grade. Do I wish I would have pulled back sooner? Yes; however, I remain sane :blink: and got through the tough time. Now we are much less boxed and the kids get a fabuloso education!

Give yourself whatever type of break is best for you. Either boxed curriculum, or cutting back to very basics.

I forget the ages of your children Aubrey but I know you've got several and an infant to boot. I'm not a big fan of letting school go for too long. It's one thing for me to take a week at the end of each quarter to re-group; quite another to feel like I'm barely hanging on for months on end, IYKWIM.

I did boxed during second and third grade and, truthfully, it wasn't the end of the world. at. all. I still had a 'book basket' of sorts going all the time. We just made a point to borrow books that reinforced and delved deeper into the topics that our boxed curriculum was covering (btw, we were using Lifepacs at the time so it really was bare-bones, no frills, workbooks). Not only did we survive those years, but my child learned quite a bit. He wasn't damaged for life. Dare I say, we had fun!

It's no fun being a grouchy, stressed out momma. Do what you need to do to get back on some sort of track with school. You can always expand your horizons again down the road. I believe the song goes:

For everything, turn, turn, turn,

There is a season, turn, turn, turn...

ETA: I wouldn't recommed pouring hundreds of dollars into a boxed curriculum when you're on the fence. I'd buy used or go with something relatively inexpensive that I could round out with library books or materials I already have, like SOTW. If you decide you want input on inexpensive ways to go w/ a boxed curriculum just let us know. ; )

Edited by Pretty in Pink

I skipped all the answers. Forgive me, I usually read them.

My very first homeschooling convention, 10 or so years ago now, they had a panel discussion of "seasoned" homeschoolers. One of them shared something that stuck with me. In essence, she said to never cling so tightly to a homeschool ideal that you fail to serve your family. She was of a living book mindset and against worksheets and textbooks. Then she had a year when her mom was dying, her husband out of work, her dd sick and diagnosed with a chronic illess. I forget what she finally used as a "boxed" and worksheet based curriculum, but she did so for about 18 months.

Her children did not suffer academically; only her pride a little bit. She was able to move forward with ALL the other pressing things, know that the kids were at least learning and doing something.

Please, if you feel it wil help your family, do it.

Aubrey....I bit the bullet and bought CLE across the board this year. ya know what...I really LOVE the program AND I feel the kids are learning a ton...and it is incremental and easy to implement. NOW....I can read all those AO books when i can...and NO GUILT....oh, maybe a little...like I NEVER EVER EVER dreamed I'd use a WORKBOOK...GAG!!! BUt, my kids don't mind too much AND One really loves them . So, if you need a box of books to keep you sane...go for it. You can always toss them the next year and go back to frantic hinting for the next best thing. :-)

Faithe

I skipped all the answers. Forgive me, I usually read them.

My very first homeschooling convention, 10 or so years ago now, they had a panel discussion of "seasoned" homeschoolers. One of them shared something that stuck with me. In essence, she said to never cling so tightly to a homeschool ideal that you fail to serve your family. She was of a living book mindset and against worksheets and textbooks. Then she had a year when her mom was dying, her husband out of work, her dd sick and diagnosed with a chronic illess. I forget what she finally used as a "boxed" and worksheet based curriculum, but she did so for about 18 months.

Her children did not suffer academically; only her pride a little bit. She was able to move forward with ALL the other pressing things, know that the kids were at least learning and doing something.

Please, if you feel it wil help your family, do it.

I totally agree. Just today as I was telling a friend about the past 6 months where my marriage imploded, he said, 'how much school did you get done during that time?' I remembered then that I discovered my marriage was over 1 week before school was 'finished'. Suddenly that last week of academics was the absolutely bottom of my priorioty list. Sometimes school has to take a back seat to life. And that is part of the joy of homeschooling.

I love SonLight. My oldest was 4th grade when I made the switch and I love it. You can use as much or as little of the "box" as you wish. I use the "Cores" -- history and reading materials, all laid out, all pre-screened, all in one box. I also like the science core 4 a lot, and if the subjects/books of the other cores appeal to you, I'd guess they're all good as well.

SL Cores are similar to WTM in being chronological history and literature based (Cores 6 & 7 even use SOTW) but they condense the cycles more to allow for Am History, etc. and they do all the leg work of picking the books and prepping the materials, scheduling, review/narration questions, etc. . .

I'd suggest go gently into the box, as you are reluctant. . . buy a good core for your oldest child (or two) and do that for history/lit/reading. It takes so much pressure off, IME.

That will take off a good bit of pressure and free up your planning time for other topics. If it works well, you might choose more from SL or another Box Provider. . . but if not, who care. (SL has a generous return policy if you hate the box!)