Menu

What's for dinner tonight?

No idea yet. :mellow: We're on the last day of our cc month, and I shop once a month, except for milk, bread and eggs. I can go to the store tomorrow. So tonight will be "whatever," whether that's scrounge-for-yourself sandwiches, ramen noodles, etc... or I may pull out misc. stuff from the cupboard and freezer and cook something.

Hmmm, you all got me thinking. I have potatoes that need to be cooked so I guess I will do something with that. I have celery, but no carrots, peppers onions and I'm guessing ground beef. What can you do with that. [i too am waiting until Friday to do any grocery shopping.]:001_smile:

Oh and apples, lots of apples. Trying to figure out if I can make freezer apple butter with them. Can I?

Edited by newlifemom
Forgot the apples.

Hmmm, you all got me thinking. I have potatoes that need to be cooked so I guess I will do something with that. I have celery, but no carrots, peppers onions and I'm guessing ground beef. What can you do with that. [i too am waiting until Friday to do any grocery shopping.]:001_smile:

Oh and apples, lots of apples. Trying to figure out if I can make freezer apple butter with them. Can I?

Meatloaf & mashed potatoes?

Ree's Best Lasagna. Ever. and homemade bread, timed to be hot out of the oven when the kids are done with school. I've actually never made Ree's Lasagna before, but I just got a new stove yesterday and I'm in the mood to cook and bake things. It's funny how excited I am over just a stove, but this is a super-shiny stand-alone with lots of bells and whistles, and my old one was from the 1950s, with only 1/2 the burners working and the temperature numbers on the oven worn off so you had to look at it in just the right light to know if it was set at 300 or 350 (which is a big difference, I might add!)

I've got the kitchen torn-up (doing a re-hab, refinishing floors, painting etc) so I have a stew cooking outside in the Potjie pot (a big cast iron cauldron with legs from South Africa, pronounced poy-key.)

Tonight's potjiekos will be curried chicken with Indian eggplant, carrots, onions and quince.

It slow-cooks for about 6 hours. Smells good :D

Bill

I've got the kitchen torn-up (doing a re-hab, refinishing floors, painting etc) so I have a stew cooking outside in the Potjie pot (a big cast iron cauldron with legs from South Africa, pronounced poy-key.)

Tonight's potjiekos will be curried chicken with Indian eggplant, carrots, onions and quince.

It slow-cooks for about 6 hours. Smells good :D

Bill

Sounds delicious! Is the Potjie pot cooking over a fire?

Sounds delicious! Is the Potjie pot cooking over a fire?

Not a wood or charcoal fire today (like when we are on the velt).

For convenience it's on a very low propane flame. Coals, however, do work beautifully. The Potjie pot is very efficient with fuel.

Bill