Menu

How much CC debt do you have?

How much Credit Card debt do you have?  

1. 1. How much Credit Card debt do you have?

• $0 No CC debt at all.
    • $1 to $5,000 on average.
    • $5,000 to $10,000 on average.
    • $10,000 to $20,000 on average.
    • $20,000+

I feel like it's $0, but couldn't put that without lying...lol.

We have a card. We use it for various things, but it's paid off almost immediately. I think I have a couple $100 on it at the moment from our trip to VA last week. But it will be paid off next payday. We've never had more than a few $1000 at a time on it though. And we have no other debt.

We use our card (Chase - form Amazon) for everything we can BUT pay it off in full each month - no fees at all this way, but we still earn points and get up to $1,000 of credit at Amazon each year. Our last two I-Pods came from Amazon - free :-)

We do the same thing, but our points are Disney. This way I can buy my dd all the princess stuff she loves, and she gets a costume for Halloween every year, but I have no guilt.

I mostly use our CC responsibly and there is usually something under $1000 on there, although I did just pay it off completely.

I know many peopel wil large CC debts though.

I keep our CC limit under $3000 because I use it online, and also because, even though they keep offering to throw money at me, I just dont want the temptation.

I have very little CC debt, a few hundred from where we had to pay for gas on my CC when the gas prices were so high! I have student loan debt, but otherwise came into the marriage debt-free. My husband, on the other hand, had quite a bit coming in, but has paid it almost all down. I'm so proud of how fiscally responsible he is now that he is married and has kids.

I feel like it's $0, but couldn't put that without lying...lol.

We have a card. We use it for various things, but it's paid off almost immediately. I think I have a couple $100 on it at the moment from our trip to VA last week. But it will be paid off next payday. We've never had more than a few $1000 at a time on it though. And we have no other debt.

Paying it off every month doesn't count!

Of course paying it of every month counts. You don't prepay your electricity or natural gas bill, but they're not a debt before they're due. If a bank is willing to pay you to use their card and you are disciplined enough not to fall in the interest and fees trap, you should do it. If you lack the discipline to use your cards wisely, then the DR cash envelopes are for you.

We don't have any cc debt now, but we had to work to get that paid off. After being unemployed for a year several years ago, our cc debt was quite high. We hated it, but it was one of the only ways to keep going.

It feels good to be out of it. I think we are even more wary of using the cards after that. We still use them, but pay them off each month. Sometimes it's hard since dh is only paid on commission, but we make it work.

We have none now, but at our worst point, we had AHEMdjhblcf$35,000ajsfhbhj :scared::blushing: We were young and stupid and it just didn't seem to matter that much at the time. We spent the next 7 years paying it off; however, we also bought our house and bought and paid off two cars in that time frame because we kept our debt on 0% credit cards. It was less than a year ago that I made the last payment on the last card. It was heavenly! So it's idiots like us who drive that average up, sadly.

Exactly! Paying it off in full every month does count. I don't understand why you would say it wouldn't? We do the same as many others on here have said -- use it for everything so the company pays us for what we buy!

We use it constantly to keep track of purchases easily, but pay it without fail every single month.

Here too. We're grandfathered into an amazing rewards program with Citibank that no one else can get now. The rewards pay for most of my clothing budget, usually some home improvement projects, and most of our holiday spending each year. I tried to switch to cash when we were working hard at paying off our debt last year, and I was soooo confused all the time. I couldn't keep track of anything, I hated carrying the envelopes with me, and I found myself spending more because I would spend a dollar or two here or there all month long because I had the cash on hand, whereas I wouldn't put those tiny purchases on a card--I'd just skip them. The card works better for us, in spite of what Dave Ramsey says.

We use our card (Chase - form Amazon) for everything we can BUT pay it off in full each month - no fees at all this way, but we still earn points and get up to $1,000 of credit at Amazon each year. Our last two I-Pods came from Amazon - free :-)

You can get cash back with Amazon Chase, too, but you probably knew that.

We have none now, but at our worst point, we had AHEMdjhblcf$35,000ajsfhbhj :scared::blushing: We were young and stupid and it just didn't seem to matter that much at the time. We spent the next 7 years paying it off; however, we also bought our house and bought and paid off two cars in that time frame because we kept our debt on 0% credit cards. It was less than a year ago that I made the last payment on the last card. It was heavenly! So it's idiots like us who drive that average up, sadly.

I'm sorry, but you are not idiots! Idiots never learn, and you sound quite different from that. :grouphug:

You can get cash back with Amazon Chase, too, but you probably knew that.

I'd be getting stuff from Amazon anyway (no shipping/tax) so I just do that. DVDs alone - plus books - and I have used up the $1,000 (apparently they just raised the amount you can earn yearly, up from $600).

I used to have mine paid off each month. It has gotten out of hand the past couple of years :001_huh:. Right now it is the highest it has ever been. I'm blaming it on 14yo starting high school this year. I talked myself into all kinds of things because we needed them for high school. I absolutely love our new microscope...which is sitting in a closet unused.

We generally pay it off every month. Occasionally we carry a balance for 1-2 months.

We paid for grad school on our credit cards. That was extremely expensive, but we got the credit cards paid off about one year after we graduated. My dh's student loans from just 1.5 semesters at RPI took several years to pay off.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

I used to have mine paid off each month. It has gotten out of hand the past couple of years :001_huh:. Right now it is the highest it has ever been.

This is us :( I blame it, unfortunately, on having to pay out of pocket for each of our 3 births (and having to pay for midwives AND hospital bills for 2 of them).... ugh!

We WILL get this under control, though. Now that we're likely done having children (due to some postpartum issues immediately following my new DC's birth), it's time to buckle down and move along!

We have quite a bit, though less than the average. We don't have car payments, either. We are house poor--we bought this house 8 months ago and have had to put a lot of money into fixing the house up. Our new mortgage is higher too, and it's taken time for us to adjust to that. We should be mostly (if not completely) out of debt by spring though...DH has a steady stream of extra work. It's pretty awful to have to pay all this money for stuff we already own. :P I'm sure we've learned our lesson, neither of us ever wants to be in this position again.

We haven't had any since we have gotten married. DH was adament that we never have it. I used to carry around a $2K-$3K balance when I was single, no idea why, just did......it wasn't like I didn't make enough to live within my budget.....

Anyway, we have none and wish we didn't even owe on our house right now!

Dawn

Okay, here's where we are :001_huh:.

We've been on the Dave Ransey plan for three months now and have paid off $5000 worth of CC debt. We still have $80,000 to go. Yup, $80k. That doesn't include mortgages or the car loan or student loans. We're doing well but have a long way to go. Sigh. I like typing it out sometimes; it's like testifying at an AA meeting. It keeps you motivated and honest!

We've been on the Dave Ransey plan for three months now and have paid off $5000 worth of CC debt. We still have $80,000 to go. Yup, $80k. That doesn't include mortgages or the car loan or student loans. We're doing well but have a long way to go. Sigh. I like typing it out sometimes; it's like testifying at an AA meeting. It keeps you motivated and honest!

That sounds like a lot, but I still think you're better off than if you had only a few thousand in debt but were getting further in the hole each month. It's the direction you are headed that is the most important thing.

What's more, 5,000 paid off in a few months is one heck of an accomplishment already. At that rate, you'll get those suckers paid off in no time. :thumbup1: