Menu

Week of July 19: What are you reading aloud?

We have two going. Our breakfast read is To Kill A Mockingbird. The teens are loving this, but it takes us a long time to get through it, because there are a lot of words the kids don't know and they interrupt me to look them up, lol.

The Dude is reading The Conch Bearer by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni to us at night (on the few nights he is not away for work). His traveling 5 days out of 7 really gets in the way of our nightly read a loud time.

I'm mostly reading picture books to my 4yo and letting the newly 9yo read what she wants (she's reading an American Girl Samantha mystery right now).

I did get Trumpet of the Swan this week at the library and am hoping to get back into the read aloud groove with that one. Or maybe even Hank the Cowdog (we tried the audio and I found it annoying).

Summer of the Monkeys (Wilson Rawls) to my big kids. Hilarious and I *love* his descriptions of Ozark life and the grandparent-grandchild relationship.

Charlotte's Web (E.B. White) to my 4 yo. It's her first big chapter book read-aloud, she is paying attention well, understanding it perfectly and always asking for her next chapter each day. I will blubber extra hard when Charlotte dies this time because dd4 is my last *baby* to go through the Charlotte's-Web-First-Chapter-Book-Read-Aloud tradition in our home. I'll just have to set my book aside for when the grandkids are ready for it (but they have to be born first, hence my state of mourning...).

Wizard of Oz, with some editing-on-the-fly. Writers can be weird, lol.

I'm a huge fan of the Wizard of Oz movie. I read the book for the first time last summer, it was very weird. I never did make ds read it. That may be one instance when the movie was better than the book, at least IMHO.

We started with Secret Garden then went to the library and got the "Fudge" books by Judy Blume and had a ball with them! We just went and they picked out Soupy Saturdays with the Great One and the Pain by Judy Blume. It is neat to read books to my kids that I read as a kid!

Of course, sometimes they read the books they have picked out.....Ds is reading through the "Dear America" series and dd2 has had all the "Olivia" books she can find.....dd1 finds a little bit of everything!

Once school starts, we will be back to our list....not sure yet where we will go from here.....

The Hobbit...I've been wanting to read this myself for years (loved the Lord of the Rings movies) but I'm just getting around to reading it :blushing:. DD has already listened to the audiotape (BBC version) several times, so DS is listening to me read it aloud. We are both enjoying it!