Menu

Am I the only one tired of the Ice Bucket Challenge??

Moxie

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES!!!  I would much rather see posts providing a little information on ALS and saying, "I just donated to help the cause!"

However, according to the ALS foundation, donations have increased.  So, I suppose it is effective.

"As of Thursday, August 21, The ALS Association has received $41.8 million in donations compared to $2.1 million during the same time period last year (July 29 to August 21)."

YES!!!  I would much rather see posts providing a little information on ALS and saying, "I just donated to help the cause!"

However, according to the ALS foundation, donations have increased.  So, I suppose it is effective.

I agree with you.  Too many people just did it without explaining anything.  But, I am always uncomfortable with publicly announcing good works and donations.   Of course people have to be public about it to raise awareness, so it's a bit of a conundrum.   If challenged, I wouldn't do the ice bucket thing, though I might make a donation (I already have things I donate to).  But it would feel really weird to go on facebook (or whatever) and say "I gave money."    On the other hand, if it inspires someone else to give money... then it can't be bad. 

I'm getting a little tired of it.  Dd was nominated by one of her friends.  We will probably steer donations toward an organization that does not support using fetal stem cells, but otherwise, I see no harm in it.  I am all for awareness of diseases that do not get enough funding.  I am just tired of my entire fb newsfeed filled up with these. 

My exact thoughts.  You saved me the trouble of typing them up!

I think it's been fun to watch and effective in raising awareness. If I just post some article about ALS on my facebook page, many will not bother to read it. A silly video may not educate people about this disease, but many have been inspired to research ALS as a result of watching said video. Even many of those who know that ALS is also called Lou Gehrig's Disease have no idea what, exactly, that means. They may have seen or read about the baseball player and his famous "luckiest man in the world" retirement speech, but that's as far as it goes. Even my father-in-law, an avid sports fan who knew about Lou Gehrig, had no idea what he was in for when he was diagnosed with ALS. When he was finally diagnosed, after a couple of years of falling for no apparent reason (often landing in the hospital as a result), we brought him to live with us for whatever remaining time he had. My husband and I cared for him in our home for 18 months until he passed away. Most people, when told that he had ALS, would say, "Oh, that's Lou Gehrig's Disease, right?" But nobody saw Lou Gehrig after the disease advanced. They don't realize how devastating it is. Some may be aware of Stephen Hawking, who has lived many years with ALS. He is a rare exception; most people only live about 2 years after diagnosis. In that short time,they will go from being a strong, healthy individual to being totally helpless, unable to walk, talk, feed themselves (or in many cases, unable to swallow), unable to move a muscle, unable to use the bathroom, unable to breathe. But they can still feel pain, or get an itch they cannot scratch. They must have someone change their position frequently to prevent pressure sores. I could go on and on. ALS is an ugly, horrible disease. Nobody wants to talk about it. If it takes a bunch of silly videos to educate people and to raise money, I'm all for it. 

I have mixed feelings. I don't like chain mail of any sort and this is what the ice bucket challenge feels like. On the other hand, I am very familiar with ALS. My extended family has the hereditary kind of ALS. My parents and I have not opted to test for the gene but we could easily have it. I could have passed it on to my children. I don't know. If my parent is ever diagnosed, then I will do genetic testing myself but I prefer ignorance for now. It is a devastating disease for families and I am really thankful that the challenge is raising awareness and money for research. A few years ago, most people I spoke with knew the name Lou Gehrig's disease or ALS, but didn't know what it meant. Now, more people know and care, and the money will be put to good use. 

I understand that ALS does not affect many people, but the money spent on research for cures and treatments will benefit many more people. ALS is the worst disease in a family of neurological diseases that share similar characteristics. In my family, for example, several people have multiple sclerosis instead of ALS. It is related. By searching for cures or treatments for ALS, the doctors may find treatments and cures for MS or other neurological diseases. I am hopeful that the massive increase in donations this year will lead to some groundbreaking treatments that really make an impact for many families, including my own. 

I am happy that awareness and money has been raised.

OTOH, I don't like being publicly pressured or bullied into donating-and I *have* over this.  I don't like having to publicly explain to angry friends or strangers that I don't have that money right now and my Raynaud's would make the ice water physically painful for me.  It has rubbed me the wrong way because of that.  It's like when you go through a fast food place and they're like "Would you like to donate $1 to end childhood hunger?" What do you say? "Um, no.  I love childhood hunger.  Thanks for the guilt trip."  But I'm just grouchy this month. :p

It has rubbed me the wrong way because of that. It's like when you go through a fast food place and they're like "Would you like to donate $1 to end childhood hunger?" What do you say? "Um, no. I love childhood hunger. Thanks for the guilt trip." But I'm just grouchy this month. :p

I don't think that publicly asking for a donation is bullying anyone. When I am asked at the store or drive through or whatever, I just say "not to today but thank you for supporting (the cause)". No need to feel guilt. If it's not in my budget, it's not in my budget.

People like public recognition for their donations and I think that has more to do with all the public asks than guilting. Sure, guilt does drive giving but public giving doesn't automatically = guilting.

Personally I consider any mass fundraising that gets out of the 4 page screed, er, ask letter and isn't yet another rubber chicken dinner event a great thing.

Wile I think that the money raised is amazing, I do think there are other ways we could raise awareness.

As a member of a clean water initiative board, I do find this meme rather poignant.

10440756_10152320549592499_8693476260726

:iagree:

While I'm glad visible likes are back, I couldn't let this post slide without coming out and saying like.  

http://www.upworthy.com/the-last-ice-bucket-challenge-you-need-to-see-and-you-really-should-see-it?g=5

This guy talks about all the things hit on here- acknowledges that people are getting tired of it, talks about the disease, and even the fact that the actual ice dump doesn't teach people about ALS, but why he's grateful for the campaign anyway.

Made me cry.

I don't think that publicly asking for a donation is bullying anyone. When I am asked at the store or drive through or whatever, I just say "not to today but thank you for supporting (the cause)". No need to feel guilt. If it's not in my budget, it's not in my budget.

People like public recognition for their donations and I think that has more to do with all the public asks than guilting. Sure, guilt does drive giving but public giving doesn't automatically = guilting.

Personally I consider any mass fundraising that gets out of the 4 page screed, er, ask letter and isn't yet another rubber chicken dinner event a great thing.

It is when they do it on mic in front of an audience (like with my husband) or keep after you on FB. 

If someone doesn't accept the no and comes back, I tell them flat out "I do not have the money for this and/or I am not interested in giving to this cause." Another thing you can say is "we've spent our budget for giving this year and we aren't able to give this time."

I probably get hit with a higher than average number of requests (since so many of my friends are fundraisers and because people know we usually say yes if we can) but have never felt bullied.

Also, FB makes it easy to hide or block annoying fundraising stuff.

I have to ask, and risk showing my ignorance...I'm sort of naively assuming that people where water availability is an issue would decline the challenge. I would. Or, I would use a glass of water from the tub or something and dump it over me in an area that needed a bit of watering. Other areas, like where I live, have more than enough water. running the hose for the kids to play outside, washing the car at random, or dumping 50 gallons of water on my head if I want doesn't make a dent in our water supply. Is there a reason for people who aren't in a drought or water challenged area to not do this? Is that much of our country water deprived? I've never lived in an area that needed water (other than for an odd season).

If someone doesn't accept the no and comes back, I tell them flat out "I do not have the money for this and/or I am not interested in giving to this cause." Another thing you can say is "we've spent our budget for giving this year and we aren't able to give this time."

I probably get hit with a higher than average number of requests (since so many of my friends are fundraisers and because people know we usually say yes if we can) but have never felt bullied.

Also, FB makes it easy to hide or block annoying fundraising stuff.

I think I know how to say no to someone.  And people tag on FB, so you can't just block anything with the words "ALS".  Or at least I wouldn't because I think awareness is important but calling people out is not. 

Wasting on buckets worth of clean water that actually is helping raise awareness for a charity is nothing compared to most people daily use of water. Wasting water in main town USA has nothing to do with precarious water situations elsewhere.

It isn't a big deal if you get tagged for something and don't do it for whatever reason.

I have to ask, and risk showing my ignorance...I'm sort of naively assuming that people where water availability is an issue would decline the challenge. I would. Or, I would use a glass of water from the tub or something and dump it over me in an area that needed a bit of watering. Other areas, like where I live, have more than enough water. running the hose for the kids to play outside, washing the car at random, or dumping 50 gallons of water on my head if I want doesn't make a dent in our water supply. Is there a reason for people who aren't in a drought or water challenged area to not do this? Is that much of our country water deprived? I've never lived in an area that needed water (other than for an odd season).

You are correct, however when some are wanting to express irritation at an activity others seem to be enjoying (and which is raising a metric crap ton of money) they usually start nitpicking anything they can about it to show how superior they are.  It is similar to the way in which some seem to express the pain and frustration they get from needing to hit the scroll bar one or two times more while on FB to escape the horror of watching their friends and family have a little fun.

Wasting on buckets worth of clean water that actually is helping raise awareness for a charity is nothing compared to most people daily use of water. Wasting water in main town USA has nothing to do with precarious water situations elsewhere.

It isn't a big deal if you get tagged for something and don't do it for whatever reason.

I agree, and I do live in a drought-stricken area. The argument in the photo above reminds me of the "starving kids in other parts of the world" guilt trip parents lay on kids so they'll eat their veggies.

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_26153749/california-drought-conservation-efforts-failing-despite-pleas-save

I think plenty of people in CA have done the ice water challenge.

Bigger picture, I do understand the meme upthread about using clean water when lots of people don't have it. It's hard to explain but it's like we don't even think about it. I'll give an analogous example: when I started potty training my oldest, I was new to it and looking for tips. I couldn't believe the number of people who told me to put some Cheerios in the toilet bowl and have him aim for them. They said it was great fun! And these were nice, helpful, decent people. We have such an abundance of food they thought nothing of throwing food in the toilet and urinating on it. I was appalled. To a person without steady access to clean water I could see how dumping water is a bit...strange. 

I think I know how to say no to someone. And people tag on FB, so you can't just block anything with the words "ALS". Or at least I wouldn't because I think awareness is important but calling people out is not.

I was just offering advice because you said it felt like bullying to you and no one should have to tolerate bullying. When you said come at you repeatedly on FB, I assumed that meant people spamming you with messages directed to you about it, not just that you see a lot of it. Seeing a lot of whatever had gone viral is his part of social media. You can hide posts you don't want to see updates on. You can also untag yourself or set it so you approve things you are tagged in before they are visible on your feed. None of that requires calling someone out on FB, just managing how you use it if you feel uncomfortable or bullied by it.

They are also  participating in the ice bucket challenge. The MDA works with ALS as well as MD.

It is on their website.

http://mda.org/disease/amyotrophic-lateral-sclerosis

::face palm:: You're right. I'm always at the events concerning the MD kids. I wasn't thinking how broad their range is.

Keep dumping buckets AND donating!

I don't have the patience to sit through all those long amateur videos of people blabbing on and on as they lead up to the "big climax," which stops being suspenseful once you have sat through the first entire video.

On my facebook, I gave up on several videos before I ever figured out what they were about.  Just some person standing there going bla bla bla bla bla and I just don't have time for that.

I've donated to ALS and I've run a donation drive for ALS.  One of my ex-colleagues lost her dad to that disease.  It sucks.  I just don't get what ice water has to do with it.  And I hope nobody decides to do a spin-off of the ice water for a bunch of other charities.  Why can't people just state their case and provide a PayPal link for donations?

I don't have the patience to sit through all those long amateur videos of people blabbing on and on as they lead up to the "big climax," which stops being suspenseful once you have sat through the first entire video.

On my facebook, I gave up on several videos before I ever figured out what they were about.  Just some person standing there going bla bla bla bla bla and I just don't have time for that.

I've donated to ALS and I've run a donation drive for ALS.  One of my ex-colleagues lost her dad to that disease.  It sucks.  I just don't get what ice water has to do with it.  And I hope nobody decides to do a spin-off of the ice water for a bunch of other charities.  Why can't people just state their case and provide a PayPal link for donations?

Because it won't garner the attention that this will. It won't spread like wildfire through multi media because unfortunately that would be considered too boring. People were drawn to the action more than the cause which is sad, but reality. I think it was a very smart idea. 

You know, I think I am the only person that is worried some one will have a heart attack doing it. 

I had an uncle that mowed the grass on a hot day, drank 1/2 a glass of ice cold lemonade and it was such a shock to his system, that he had a heart attack and died. 

So when I see people dumping buckets of ICE on thier heads, the only thing I think, is I really, really hope that they don't have sudden cardiac arrest.

Among my friends I'm one of the loudest complainers about how I'm ready for this fad to be over.

DD just got nominated.

Ah well.

Now I'm part of the problem.  

Time to ramp the freezer's ice makers production up because if we're going to do this we're going to do it right.  

Many charities and organizations are not fully doing what they claim. In 2013, the President and CEO of the ALS Association earned $339,475.00. 

That is a very typical salary for a major non profit CEO.  And anyone with very basic knowledge of now non profits operate (for example, any journalist) would know that.

That article was all about drumming up anti ALS Association sentiment due to their stance on STEM cell research.

And then they tell people suffering from ALS to look into the magic coconut oil cure because Health Impact News Daily hates science.

I don't mind them too much and think it's great that a charity has been receiving so many donations.

Has anyone posted this yet?

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/als-ice-bucket-challenge-do-you-know-what-you-are-supporting/

Health Impact News is hardly a credible source.

Here is more information about the ALS Association's research and what they do.

My daughter could not WAIT to be nominated.  She finally was yesterday.  What it has done for her is made her VERY aware of ALS and what a horrible disease it is.  She donated her own money.  I think this is a very good thing and I'm proud of her.  

So, I like it.  I think it is a fun, catchy way to raise awareness.

My problem with people getting annoyed by the ALS ice bucket thing is that this is the only way research for their condition is being funded.

I get that heart disease, cancer, and other illnesses kill more people, my own sister died of cancer. But those are conditions that are also researched by major corporations and they are also funded by governments. Those should be heavily funded because they place huge burdens on society. (not the people, the illnesses) The American Diabetes Association has estimated that diabetes cost 245 Billion last year. Here is an article regarding their research funding, it is an older article but I couldn't find a more recent one. http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2010/03/03/6588/money-money-money-diabetes-research-funding/

Corporations are not researching ALS. 

Things like this list

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/20/6040435/als-ice-bucket-challenge-and-why-we-give-to-charity-donate

Do not account for corporate or government research. Does anyone really think that corporations are not researching diabetes? 

The only way ALS is being researched is charitable donations and government funding. Here is a table of NIH funding for research. http://report.nih.gov/categorical_spending.aspx

"Orphan disease" means that corporations don't research it, there are not enough people with the condition for it to be seen as profitable for them. ALS is an orphan disease. Heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and other such conditions are not.

I do donate to conditions that are more common because those things matter to me because family members have been affected, but I am not about to get annoyed that a charity happened to come with up a great idea and might actually get some real research money for once.

They did say some of the money would also go to providing care to those who are suffering from the condition.

My daughter could not WAIT to be nominated.  She finally was yesterday.  What it has done for her is made her VERY aware of ALS and what a horrible disease it is.  She donated her own money.  I think this is a very good thing and I'm proud of her.  

So, I like it.  I think it is a fun, catchy way to raise awareness.

My 10 year old dd did the same a couple days ago!  :thumbup1: