Menu

What do you put on popcorn?

We have popcorn for dinner every Sunday night. Favorites are parmesean, butter, and salt. Or cinnamon-sugar and butter. Or, on special occasions, I make a caramel sauce (takes about 3 minutes) and put that on top. Sometimes I stir in pecans with the caramel sauce.

Butter, nutritional yeast and salt. (If fasting, we make it with canola oil instead of butter).

I'm curious. Wouldn't fasting preclude eating popcorn ( or anything else for than matter) and why is canola oil okay but butter is not? I don't mean to offend -I'm truly curious.

I saw some other posters mention nutritional yeast already. That's our favorite seasoning by far. We pop it in canola oil, then add nutritional yeast and salt.

Sometimes we pop it in olive oil or coconut oil and then just add salt, letting the flavor of the oil be the primary seasoning.

I'm curious. Wouldn't fasting preclude eating popcorn ( or anything else for than matter) and why is canola oil okay but butter is not? I don't mean to offend -I'm truly curious.

Orthodox fasting is not eating meat, dairy, fish, olive oil, and wine. Sometimes all at once, which would be a strict fast;sometimes just a few of those categories.

I've done a few different things.

Our standard is just butter and salt, but for a treat I will do parmesan over the butter. Or I've done ranch dressing powder (the powdered mix for making your own); the boys liked that.

Very rarely, because DH finds it too greasy and just a bit gross, we will add bacon bits. Real bacon, cooked on the stove, crumbled up and then the bits (and yes, the grease) poured over and mixed in. YUM. It is truly delicious, but DH calls it a heart attack waiting to happen. -sigh- We don't do it very often.

Sometimes powdered cheddar-y cheese, like from macaroni packages.

Very rarely, because DH finds it too greasy and just a bit gross, we will add bacon bits. Real bacon, cooked on the stove, crumbled up and then the bits (and yes, the grease) poured over and mixed in. YUM. It is truly delicious, but DH calls it a heart attack waiting to happen. -sigh- We don't do it very often.

Next time we watch a movie without the kids, I am stealing this idea. My DH will love it! His favorite side dish is "bowl of bacon." :)

So...usually I'm just a butter and salt kind of girl. However, I had these leftover caramels from Halloween. So, last night I put five of them in a measuring cup. I added a little water (maybe 1 T), a pat of butter and melted it in the microwave. I poured it over my popcorn and sprinkled sea salt on it. It was SO GOOD.

I add truffle salt to mine....and a grind or two of pepper.

I love adding cheese to my popcorn (we use an oil popper) but nothing sticks to my popcorn when I add it. Even the truffle salt doesn't 'stick' to the popcorn and just falls to the bottom of my bowl. How do you keep your toppings on the popcorn??