Menu

What jobs did you do in order to live on your own or attend college?

I worked long-distance for the software company I worked at in high school. I also worked at my university's catering service as a server. When people did banquets and parties at the university, they'd usually purchase food services from the catering service.

ETA: Dh worked as an assistant in the MPA school. He wrote software programs to compile data that they were collecting. Later he got a 3/4 time position at a local software company.

Best college job I had was as a Resident Assistant, AKA dorm mom. We didn't get paid but we did get free lodging in the dorm and a free meal card to the cafeteria for food. The job was so easy. We attended a couple of training session and went to weekly staff meetings once the school year started. I was in an all girls' dorm so there weren't a lot of issues with the students.

I forgot to add that the best student summer job I had was as an intern for Georgia-Pacific. I worked all summer from 9-5 all and made a lot of money. I don't remember how much they paid the interns, probably $5 an hour, but back then it seemed like a fortune.

Edited by Ferdie

I didn't start college until I had a full-time job to pay my tuition. I did get to live with my parents for free.

I worked at the local Dairy Queen, first as a cashier and cake decorator, then as an assistant manager. I kept that job until I got my first special ed teaching job.

Bookkeeping, typist, computer input and receptionist work were my first paid jobs other than babysitting. Sort of a Girl Friday? I did a short stint as a pharmacy assistant and delivery person, too. I was a credit checker for First Interstate Bank before my long maternity leave :tongue_smilie:

Edited by AnnetteB
There were gaps in my resume as I recalled it.

I worked full time at Borders Books & Music. They were very good about scheduling my work hours around my school hours.

My DH was in the Army, so we got to shop at the Commissary and PX... And for a while we lived in military housing.

Still, we ate a lot of Ramen for dinner.

The military paid for the bulk of my DH's college education.

In college I worked most of my time there...

waiting tables

retail in mall

bowling alley babysitter for kid area(that last 1 day!)

I once did all three above at the same time plus full schedule :-)

I also taught preschool gymnastics and then moved into boys age 6-7 and girls age 4-5 for a year.

I liked waiting tables b/c it was more money than retail for less time. Plus usually got discounted restaurant food :-)

I worked as a janitor at the dorm where I lived, then moved on to working in an office in the chemistry department, and also had a work-study job where I learned how to do gel electrophoresis for one of the professors (this was a much better alternative than the other work they did in the lab - guillotining guinea pigs to retrieve brain tissue for analysis). On the side I did word processing of people's papers from their long-hand writing. One Valentine's Day I sold romantic stories personalized with names and chosen settings. During the summers I worked full-time at a facility for mentally retarded adults, which was hard, but incredibly rewarding.

All in a list like that, it sounds a little crazy!

Erica in OR

I was a nanny for 3 years while I was in college. It was great! There were 5 boys in the family and they were in school all day, so I was able to attend classes. The family provided me with a car and I got to live in their 8 bedroom home with a full gymnasium in a great part of town instead of the dorms. Not bad! I also went to Hawaii and other places with them during spring break.

I worked Dairy Queen. I cleaned houses. I directed a daycare center.

I can't think of any other jobs I've done. That seems like enough!

As a young person, that is. I would be interested to know.:001_smile:

I worked as a master control operator at the local TV station weekend nights. I was in the work study program, with a director that insisted we actually work, in the media services department. So I got to video tape seminars, make copies of videos & cassettes (no CDs or DVDs yet:001_huh:), I manned the booth where teachers came to check out tv/vcrs, projectors and such for their classes. I learned inventory skills. It was the best job I've ever had I think. And I actually did have time for homework. I waited tables on and off through the years also.

Worked at:

Donut store - made donuts, sold donuts

camera store - sold photos/cameras

Disneyland - employee cafeteria

teaching assistant - UCLA

research assistant - UCLA

medical photo lab - took in orders from doctors

AMPAS - Oscar folk (started the microfiching of all the paper files of the library there)

AIC - Personnel minion Art Institute of Chicago

I only worked summers because the rule was I saved what I could and my parents matched what I'd saved.

For university I worked as a Medical Office Assistant (you didn't have to go to school to become one then), in a semi-fast food restaurant and I did some housecleaning for cash a few times. I had other jobs in high school.

To live on my own I was an Adminstrative Assistant, worked in a clothing store, was a full time piano teacher (did housecleaning on the side while I built it up, and gradually dropped it), worked food prep in a restaurant, and I spent a summer working with a professional window washer.

When I was in high school, living on my own with baby, I worked at a company where we placed people into stores on weekend mornings doing product sampling, giving out coupons, etc. The following year, I became the manager at that company. I also attended school. Later in THAT year, I also took a job waitressing.

After that, I was mostly a stay at home mom.

Grocery store cashier, retail store bookkeeping clerk, day camp counselor for special needs kids (did NOT pay well, but very rewarding), office receptionist/administrative assistant, university fundraising telemarketer (did NOT do well at that.) I mostly worked summers and breaks, but my last semester I did the telemarketing job during the school year.

I detasseled seed corn before college and during college and earned a lot of money!

In college:

Library aide

RA

Greeter (basically I sat at the dorm entrance at a desk and answered questions while the full time person got lunch/dinner breaks)

Day Care worker

Ass't Stage Manager for our college summer theater program

I worked at reunions and different events at our college over the summer.

I think that's it.

My first job was with Kelly Girls--I collated catalogs for some company. It was soooo boring that I sang to myself the entire time (I don't sing well). Someone finally came and helped me. It was only a temp job.

I taught 2 summers of summer camp, first year for preschoolers and the next for 3/4 graders (I think). I learned that South Florida preschool parents tip, very, very well. SF 3/4th grade parents don't tip at all. It was a lot of fun.

I worked in college as a telemarketer (sort of) in the college development dept. It was my first job to get fired from--because I hated it so much, I didn't show up for work. It haunted me for years.

After college, I worked one year as a receptionist in a law office. 40 hours a week for 150 dollars a week, no benefits. I gained about 25 pounds.

After that, I taught various ages at schools.

While unmarried and on my own, I taught Fine Arts History at a couple of universities (not both at the same time).

Lots of things while I was attending university:

Library clerk

Used book store clerk

Antique store clerk

Pizza delivery girl

Vegetarian bakery assistant

Roadie

Stage actress (mostly musicals)

When I was "of age" I started as a bar back, then when I could license to tend bar, I made most of my tuition, fees, books, and living expenses as a bartender. It didn't pay well but the tips were where the money came from. College kids drink. A lot. And they're very irresponsible with their drinking money. More good tips for me! :D

I would recommend bartending for three reasons:

1) It doesn't interfere with your class scheduling as much as other jobs can.

2) At a good bar, you can rake in major tips and make more money in 2 nights than other part-time jobs will pay you in a month. I routinely made over $500 in tips on any given weekend night -- and that was back in the late 80's and 90's.

3) After you see that many stinking drunk people puking and stumbling around and generally making complete fools of themselves, you'll likely not become an alcoholic. It's a real turn-off to drinking.

Edited by Audrey

I worked at McDonald's as a cashier, janitor, and cook (yuk). Then at a bookstore as a clerk.

The next summer I landed a job in a teargas grenade factory owned by a defense contractor. It got me in the company's door (BTW, never rub your eyes when exposed to teargas, and wash yourself with laundry detergent). After that, I co-oped with the same company in all kinds of positions, including electronic assembler, inspector, and engineering assistant in several departments. When I got my degree, I worked as an EE at the same place.

GardenMom

3) After you see that many stinking drunk people puking and stumbling around and generally making complete fools of themselves, you'll likely not become an alcoholic. It's a real turn-off to drinking.

Good point! My dh was a bartender through college (it's our backup plan should he ever lose his job!). He was also an alcoholic. He never drank while on the job. He stopped drinking, in part, because he watched the behavior of the college students who were drinking while staying sober. He continued to bartend though! (Heck, you gotta' earn money somehow - right?) He's stayed sober for over 20 years now.

Good point! My dh was a bartender through college (it's our backup plan should he ever lose his job!). He was also an alcoholic. He never drank while on the job. He stopped drinking, in part, because he watched the behavior of the college students who were drinking while staying sober. He continued to bartend though! (Heck, you gotta' earn money somehow - right?) He's stayed sober for over 20 years now.

Yep! An old joke used to be "the surest cure for alcoholism is to be a bartender." If some of those college kids could see themselves and their friends from the other side of the bar, it might embarrass them enough to at least cut back, if not scare 'em sober.

Side note: I used to worry about some of the girls. The boys would keep plying them with Long Island Iced Teas and other heavy syrup drinks because you couldn't taste the alcohol. I admit to cheating them often and leaving out the alcohol when I thought the girl was getting wasted. Bad me, I know. ;) I'll deal with that karma when it comes around again, I guess. :001_smile:

My first job was in my dad's drug store where I was a soda jerk. Later, I moved up to front cashier. The summer before college I worked full-time as the pharmacy clerk.

During college, I was the RA for my dorm and I worked nights (5-9) 5 nights a week as a bill collector for a local bank. (I made really good money for a college kid! Wish I had that kind of cash now...)

Sports Information assistant

Newspaper intern and/or stringer

Shoney's hostess

Used bookstore

Stained glass studio

Church nursery worker

Magazine writer

Football vidographer

PA announcer

Sports statistician

Babysitter

Credit card validations at Honeybaked Ham plant

Some of these overlapped, as I usually held two or three jobs at a time right up until the time I had my first child, even after I had graduated and was working full-time as a newspaper reporter/editor.

The worst was church nursery, followed closely by Shoney's. :D

Edited by Rebecca in GA

-babysitting. I used to drive to this person's house, take care of their developmentally-disabled 3yo daughter for 9 hours a day, and out of boredom, clean their house and cook for them - for $60 a week. This was in 1978, and even then they were getting a hell of a deal.

-cleaning the restroom and sweeping metal shavings from the lathes in my dad's machine shop. Filthy work. I'll never forget the sign in the restroom. "My aim is to keep this restroom clean. Your aim is appreciated." For the record, the men who worked there had *terrible* aim.

- working 20+ hours per week at our 5-day-a week student newspaper (University of South Florida) as a typesetter, computer operator (developing film), layout artist and advertising coordinator, and an editorial writer. My claim to fame is taking on PETA. ;)

- I also supplemented my college income by co-oping at the Department of Energy every other semester during my junior/senior years, which extended my graduation date by at least a year if not more. My memory fades...

Library clerk at the collage I attended

I first worked as a student worker, but when I got married after my freshman year I went full time. The school paid our tuition and I got paid a regular full time wage. It was great! I was exhausted, but it was great lol.

DH was a tutor at the school and made a few hundred dollars a month, which was enough for fun stuff.

My parents told me that if I wanted an apartment I'd have to pay half the rent to them in advance. (Actually just one fourth, because I had a roommate) Anyhow, they arranged for me to waitress at a buffet/steak house a friend owned. They thought I needed to work in the real world. Imagine.

It was the worst summer of my life.

Well, since I went to college on the 11 year plan, there were many types of jobs involved:

food service in the college cafeteria

waitress in the college restaurant

waitress in various restaurants

cutting and stuffing fiberglass insulation into sectionals:tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

short stint at IRS service center reading microfilm:tongue_smilie:

security guard on campus- :) lots and lots of keys

police dispatcher for campus police department- (usually only one dispatcher on duty at a time, answering phones and monitoring radio- could get really hectic for a non-multitasker)

research assistant at Argonne National Lab, energy related:)

In late high school, I worked with patients in a nursing home. I did *everything* but dispense medications, including feeding, showers, "diapers", you name it. That was an emotionally draining job.

During my college years, I worked summers, Christmas break, and spring break for a pediatric dentist in the Dallas area. I did some babysitting while I was home, too. Evenings were largely taken up with summer school, since I was trying to cram in additional credits.

While actually at college, I did not work at all for my first three years. My last year there I worked as a receptionist at The Waist Basket, a small fitness center in College Station. (Gig 'em Ags!)

I worked in daycare mostly, since I was in high school (prior to that as a volunteer), I have also worked in fast food, delivered newspapers (still fall back on this one when I need a short term gig to boost the income), worked in a teddy bear store, and aide in a long term care hospital. I have gone back to college several times but don't have a full degree, just a couple diplomas, one of them in childcare. So most of my work experience is in that feild. SInce leaving college I have only added 1 other type of job to resume and it is working for a pediatrician/acupuncturist, as a receptionist/assistant. I made less at that job than some of my daycare gigs but it was fun while I was there. The vast majority of my college experience happend after my marriage failed and I was a single mom of little ones so that made a difference in the jobs I did to get through college.

ETA: I forgot one, computer lab supervisor while I was attending college this last go round. Basically I sat in there, did my homework and surfed the web, just making sure students followed the computer lab rules and answering questions they might have. It was one of the easiest jobs I have ever had.

Edited by swellmomma

I did various work-study jobs in college, mostly for the Development Office (fundraising), and I tutored. In grad school I was a TA, and when I was working on my diss. in another city I taught at a German Saturday School, tutored, worked in shipping and receiving at a mail order company, cleaned houses, worked nights for an answering service, worked at a copy shop, and did a brief stint in retail.

"Retrospective conversion" of library catalogs -- converting card catalogs to computer-based catalog systems, and doing some original cataloging for small libraries (like the Wiesenthal Center)...

Other office assistant type jobs / receptionist things (university offices, a Christian radio station), but the main thing was the cataloging.

Babysitter, museum database analyst, summer park ranger, security guard, dorm resident assistant, chief dorm assistant, tutor, grader, janitor, and computer programmer.

I paid for my books/personal expenses for the first two years of college, and then all but medical/car insurance for the next three. Thankfully I never had to take out a loan, but it was a perpetual juggling act! It seemed like I was always working or studying.

Edited by GVA

In college I was the assistant to the art director (graphic design major). I helped create posters for theatre performances, helped with clerical duties, assisted with productions and stage props in shows, and modeled for art classes.

I also worked in a home for adults who came out a mental institution that closed down, I was there for over 3 years.

My other first jobs were working in a Musicland store, bar tending when I was 21, shoeshine girl in a bar at 17 (By applying they assumed, I was older and never checked my id LOL-I made $20 per hour in 1990), convenience store clerk and bookkeeper.

I was a single mother with three little boys when I went to college. I was a full-time student and worked part-time as a gift wrapper/shipping clerk for a fancy jewelry store. It was a very fun job that I still think of with fond memories. Before that, I was in retail sales and floral design.

Blessings,

Lucinda

-Worked on my dad's farm ( I also know other kids who worked for farmers in the our college's very rural area.)

-Camp Counselor

Work-Study:

-Receptionsist for counselor

Scholarship/service program:

-Helper in 4-H office

-Activities Assistant in a nursing home

-Activity Director for chemical dependency treatment facility