Menu

Just for fun-which box curriculum or online all-in-one would you use if you had to?

I know I probably won't end up doing it-but just in case, I wanted to see what all of your pics would be & why? Sonlight is what I always gravitate to, because of the living books aspect, but are there other programs that use living books that are all-in-one? Including k-12 type things, on-line academy's?

So-my pic would be Sonlight because of the living books, that they include everything but you can have choices in some things, and because they have missionary stories and the Christian bent (despite recent stuff going on).

What's yours?

It's interesting. I never think of SL as an "all-in-one" curriculum or "box" curriculum. SL is the program I've chosen to use for history/literature throughout most of my homeschooling. It's what piqued in me a desire to homeschool in the first place. It's also the heart of our homeschool and the one year I set aside for a bit ~ choosing instead to follow a strictly WTM approach to history ~ was a let-down. I have zero interest in going the other routes you mentioned ~ online academy, for example. We're far too independent for that. But SL is a wonderful backbone for our studies.

For a variety of reason we moved to BJU Homesat last year for a majority of our stuff. It turns out to have been a great move given the upheaval our life will have this year (divorce).

I'd be doing Tapesty of Grace if i could, but like Colleen, i don't think of Sonlight as "boxed" either. We have Core 6 and Core 4 LA - in case it matters if i have actually used it! LOL!!

I'm hoping to be able to add some TOG to my boxed stuff in the future, and i'll always throw a list of SL readers at DD to pick up at the library.

But, for this phase in our life, BJU/Homesat is what we need to be doing.

I've tried Calvert for K, 1, 4 & 6 and could NEVER stick to it BUT I like it better overall than others I've used.

I like parts of many publishers curricula so I combine Calvert, SL, AO, VP, R&S, CLE and others.

Right now we're using SL 6 history with AO's Our Island Story and VP cards; Calvert literature, science & art history, R&S English 6 and CLE math 6.

I'm SO glad I get to pick & choose! :D

If I had to, I'd do K12.

I'm not interested in a boxed curriculum at all, and doing so would mean that something big was going on, so I'd need accountability and structure that K12would afford. I can also get it free by going through the public charter in our state, and I imagine that if something was big enough to push me to a box curriculum the free aspect would be important.

Winterpromise, but I don't consider them school in a box. Same for AO, Robinson Curriculum, A2 and Sonlight. They are all part of my "back-up plan"

At this point, for a true School in a box, it would be between curriculumservices.com, CLE or BJU. But there are several that I never looked at that I would definitely explore before using one of these... Seascape and oakmeadow come to mind as contenders.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I know I probably won't end up doing it-but just in case, I wanted to see what all of your pics would be & why? Sonlight is what I always gravitate to, because of the living books aspect, but are there other programs that use living books that are all-in-one? Including k-12 type things, on-line academy's?

So-my pic would be Sonlight because of the living books, that they include everything but you can have choices in some things, and because they have missionary stories and the Christian bent (despite recent stuff going on).

What's yours?

I love Oak Meadow, although I use a different math and I supplement here and there and add Latin and French... and... well, I'm a tweaker, I guess! :lol:

But, still... if I have only one homeschooling regret, it is that I wasn't able to use Oak Meadow from the start.

Another curriculum that impresses the heck out of me, but with a different approach than Oak Meadow, is Calvert. I believe Ria used Calvert and every time she would answer someone's queries about it, I really, really wanted it. :D However, it is heavy on the American history and not as easily adaptable as is Oak Meadow.

That won't be an issue for you if you are American, but we're not, and don't want to spend entire years on Pilgrims and colonies and such, IYKWIM.

Each of my kids used a full curriculum for 7th grade. DD used Abeka DvD (a combo of 7th-9th grades) and DS used K12.

Really, a lot would depend on the reasons why and which kid. I can see using Sonlight or Calvert or K12 even Alpha Omega/SOS.

But other than that one year, I've put things together myself and it has always been best. Recently, I almost took on my friend's Kindy kiddo and couldn't pick a full curriculum for him either. I generally don't consider ANY boxed curriculum best IF I'm capable of homeschooling independently adequately. And though I will NEVER be able to do MY ideal, that is even more true of trying to do that. But sometimes "boxed" is nice when we have certain needs. For some reason, that fell at 7th grade for each of my kids.

If I couldn't teach right now, I'd use Time4Learning, but I have young kids who can't work independently. If they were older (5th and up) I'd choose either Calvert or K12, probably Calvert because we've used the K and liked it.

SL and WP don't really strike me as curriculum "in a box" because although they're open and go, you do have to spend quite a bit of time reading and discussing with kids. They only save some planning time (depending on your tweakishness ;)).

I am currently using Calvert 6 with 7 math and my sixth grader says she really likes Calvert and can we continue next year? (Yes) My older one uses Spanish 2 with BJU and I would probably use BJU for high school. The only reason for me to use box curriculum is to make it easier for me or because a child wants it. Sonlight is way too much work for me.

Probably, I'd use Great Books Academy (or Anglicum), but I'm not 100% certain. It seems to include the books I'd like my kids to dissect (although it includes many, many more than I'd make the kids study in a year). It has all of the stuff I'd do in a lifestyle of learning way if I wasn't in a situation that required me to have a boxed curriculum, like music and philosophy. Registration includes subscription fees to the OED online, which would keep my language geek kid very happy. I'd probably not do the whole language arts segment though.

Alternatively, maybe Living Books Curriculum. That has a better LA program, I think, more like what we do now.

Neither one offers a math I'd want to use, though.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

It's interesting. I never think of SL as an "all-in-one" curriculum or "box" curriculum. SL is the program I've chosen to use for history/literature throughout most of my homeschooling. It's what piqued in me a desire to homeschool in the first place. It's also the heart of our homeschool and the one year I set aside for a bit ~ choosing instead to follow a strictly WTM approach to history ~ was a let-down. I have zero interest in going the other routes you mentioned ~ online academy, for example. We're far too independent for that. But SL is a wonderful backbone for our studies.

Ditto. I don't get it when I see SL listed as a boxed curriculum, that is more Calvert and the like to me. I don't order all subjects from SL, I just use them for history, so I don't get everything in one box.

http://seascapecenter.com/ Had you heard of this one?

and this one? http://www.curriculumservices.com/

Here is Pearblossom

Curriculum Services is the only one I had heard of out of those, and I'd never really looked at it. Interesting. I'm trying to find online foreign language classes for my high schooler, but those seemed to offer only the entire package/grade level. I might see what Oak Meadow or VP has online.

It's interesting. I never think of SL as an "all-in-one" curriculum or "box" curriculum. SL is the program I've chosen to use for history/literature throughout most of my homeschooling. It's what piqued in me a desire to homeschool in the first place.

The reason I didn't do Sonlight when we began kids is that I would need 2 cores to cover the age range of my kids. So how do you do it with your age range? How many cores do you use? Sincerely asked!

If I had to use a boxed curriculum it would be because I went back to school again.

I would probably use Switched on Schoolhouse (I think that's it) for my oldest (who has Aspergers and loves the computer). I would get him the most inexpensive laptop I could find, so he didn't have to share.

We homeschooled before while I was in school (my husband was in school or working, as well) and it could get really messy, really fast. You will notice from other posts that my older two children are a bit behind in subjects. We never really had help from anyone else and we just did the best we could. We all did enjoy the challenge though!

My younger two would be doing the least possible with WTM.

I would definitely move closer to my SIL and niece and make it impossible for them to say no to helping out. I would rather spend my extra money on them, then something like Sonlight or Abeka.