Menu

I hope this isn't political! What do you think of what Mrs. Obama is wearing?

I'll join you in oddness....I love her outfit!

I'll join, too. I think she was a pillbox hat away from having a very Jackie kind of day. :001_smile:

I like that she has her own style. Nancy Reagan was very Hollywood glam, Barbara Bush was very... not. You know, she's a comfortable shoe kind of gal (nothing wrong with that, either). Hillary Clinton had the turtleneck and headband thing going on. Laura Bush has been... variable. I can't exactly pin her down to any specific thing (again, nothing wrong with that).

I feel bad for all of them for being so scrutinized for what they wear - not a single one of the lot is or was lacking in substance.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I guess I'm just not a fashionista. I liked the dress. It was a throw back to an earlier era which reflected her husband's speech. She was poised but I don't know if she's elegant. She has a lot on her plate as the first AA first lady. I wouldn't want to be in her shoes....hey? Did anyone see the shoes? :o)

Remember how Scarlett O'Hara made a dress out of her curtains? IMO, it looked like Michelle made her dress out of the couch. She looked like she was wearing a sofa. ;)

She's a beautiful woman, and I've yet to see her wear a stunner. I have high hopes for tonight's gown. We'll see!!!

p.s. what was up with the green grinch gloves? blech.

Did the shoes match the "green grinch gloves?" :lol:

I did think those gloves clashed with the color of the dress.

I do think she is a stunning woman. Perhaps it is her height. Being quite vertically challenged myself, I always envy the tall!! I just think she could choose clothes that better suit her body type.

Wouldn't it be great if Stacy and Clinton (of What Not to Wear) could do her over? I'm NOT suggesting this! That would be disrespectful. I sense that she makes many of her wardrobe decisions herself. Not sure why. She is clearly her own person which will likely be an asset to her in her new role as First Lady.

For the record, I thought the elder Bushes looked very cute in their matching coats and scarves. Barbara Bush can wear those jewel tones SO well with her beautiful white hair...and I could just picture her picking out those scarves so that they would look good together in pictures.

(Or maybe I'm totally wrong and HE picked them out...who knows. :tongue_smilie: They're about the same age as my parents and I know my mom and her friends all pretty much tell their husbands what to wear so that they turn up places looking presentable!)

Did not like the gloves, thought the matching coat/dress was ok--didn't she do that matching coat/dress thing before? Not the same outfit, but a coat that matched what she had on underneath. Not sure I like that idea.

Thought she looked nice--Didn't like the color of Laura Bush's outfit, but she could wear a paper bag and I'd still think she's classy and wonderful.

Aretha's hat? Lots of fun, very churchy, very Aretha. Go for it, girl!

Will Michelle wear different dresses tonight to some of the balls?

Hmmm, I guess I'm just not a fashionista. I liked the dress. It was a throw back to an earlier era which reflected her husband's speech. She was poised but I don't know if she's elegant. She has a lot on her plate as the first AA first lady. I wouldn't want to be in her shoes....hey? Did anyone see the shoes? :o)

She's wearing flesh-tone pantyhose and what looks like green or taupe pumps. Maybe they match the gloves??? I thought they were black at first, but no.

Edited by DB in NJ

Not to be odd (oh, yeah, that would be totally out of character for me) or hijack, but the fashion of the day is definitely feeling like a throwback to the Camelot days... maybe this is an indication that we are moving back toward a more civil, respectful, respectable society. (Not that that has anything to do with the change of administration at all, just that it seemed we saw a lot more in the way of details like hats, ties in the crowd today. Of course, even Brittany Spears would be wearing a coat in DC today, so I'm probably just mental and not a little wistful for a new era of civil behaviour. And not a little sick of naked people.)

On the screen I was watching, it looked more lime green than gold and imo looked good on her. I didn't like or dislike the design of the outfit - couldn't see enough of it to make that call....but again, on the tv I was watching, i loved the color.

I'm just THRILLED to see a first lady wearing something other than red, white or blue in the form of some maude-forsaken suit as worn by Hilary, Barbara, Nancy, Rosalind etc etc.

To see a first lady with her own style, wearing what she wants b/c she likes it? I love love love it.

Katherine

Where I live, a dress like that and a hat like Ms. Franklin's are just normal Sunday church clothes for many African American women.

That's true here too. I just love to see those ladies all dressed up for church! The hats always match the dress AND the purse AND the shoes! I love it. I can't wear it -- don't have the chutzpah ;) -- but I love to see it!

Remember how Scarlett O'Hara made a dress out of her curtains? IMO, it looked like Michelle made her dress out of the couch. She looked like she was wearing a sofa. ;)

She's a beautiful woman, and I've yet to see her wear a stunner. I have high hopes for tonight's gown. We'll see!!!

p.s. what was up with the green grinch gloves? blech.

:iagree::iagree:

That dress is not flattering on her figure, imho.

Edited by Beth in SW WA

to me, the dress looked chartreuse. Personally, it wouldn't have been my choice if I was picking out a dress for her, but if she was happy with it, that's all that matters! She's a very strong woman and I would love to see her in some deep, striking colors like royal blue, burgundy or even a pink. God bless her, it must be very intimidating to have the eyes of the world upon your every move.

Also, when they were walking the parade route, it looked like perhaps her shoes hurt. I've got to hand it to her. If it was me (and I'm short) I would have forsaken the fashion police and gone with a pair of comfortable flats!

Seriously?!?!?!

Well, I couldn't care less what she's wearing.

With an economy gone to hell in a handbasket I just hope her husband can keep us afloat.

I don't know the rules of dressing and have no idea who should wear what fabric or what time of day or season it should be worn!

But I will say that I love Mrs. Biden's hooker boots!

It wasn't completely hideous but much improvement needed. Better than Hillary Clinton though. I am surprised with all the Hollywood support that MO isn't dressing better but then look at all the money Theresa Heinz Kerry has and she always looks disheveled.

It's early days yet. Hillary Clinton's dressing has come a long way from Bill's inauguration.

Edited by LG Gone Wild

It wasn't completely hideous but much improvement needed. Better than Hillary Clinton though. I am surprised with all the Hollywood support that MO isn't dressing better but then look at all the money Theresa Heinz Kerry has and she always looks disheveled.

It's early days yet. Hillary Clinton's dressing has come a long way from Bill's inauguration.

In Hillary's defense, we were coming off the 80s.

[quote name=LG Gone Wild;747031........

Time' date=' more money, changing fashion trends, hitting your stride, maturity, more confidence in your new role, can all work wonders for a person's wardrobe.

di_pic_07.jpg14544975.jpg

ETA I excused this one since it was an 80's maternity dress, but you get the picture

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=403&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=fd96af8d1d28288279e61953bc78a8aa

Edited by Blessedfamily

I agree. I actually liked the dress when I first saw it on her and thought that it's the best thing I've seen her wear, BUT...then when I saw it again it seemed less of a pale yellow and more of a sickly yellow-green so I'm not sure *what* color it is! lol Not sure it works for her but she's moving in the right direction and I'm sure she'll have more assistance now. :)

I agree. I actually liked the dress when I first saw it on her and thought that it's the best thing I've seen her wear, BUT...then when I saw it again it seemed less of a pale yellow and more of a sickly yellow-green so I'm not sure *what* color it is! lol Not sure it works for her but she's moving in the right direction and I'm sure she'll have more assistance now. :)

I've been reading up on it....apparently it's 'lemongrass' - it's been more commonly called 'gold' by those who have seen it and written about it.

:)

Katherine

Do you like what she has chosen to wear for the inaugural ceremonies today? I think she is always a bit "off." Not horribly so, but there is always something I think isn't quite right. I don't think the gold is the most flattering color for her, and I have issues with wearing brocade during the day. It seems more like an evening fabric to me, but maybe this is a Southern bias.

What do you think?

I agree. I don't care for the color, and the style is not good - too many layers, too fussy looking. I do like the length on her, and I like the shoes (not the gloves, though).

according to the radio transmission I got while at the inauguration the dress was yellow not gold.

what I saw was yellow

when I turned on the tail end of the parade at home tonight I saw yellow

The dress was appropriate. I used to attend a church wear women dressed like that and I see African American women at my current church dress like that now.

As for Hilary's pant suit, it was cold out there. I don't think I could have sat up there in a dress. I was was wearing tights, jeans , snowpants (3 layers on my legs), wool socks, boots with thinsulate, long sleeve shirt, fleece shirt, coat (3 layers on torso), ski gloves, gator, ear warmers, and I had hand warmers. So, I won't bash a woman for not dressing enough. All the men get to wear pants and you can hide long underwear under pants.

I agree with the pp. I liked it much better after she took the coat off.

I can't believe some of you think she is fat/heavy. :confused::confused: I think she is stunning and has a great figure!

BTW, we laughed at Aretha's hat, but of course, it suited her!

I can't believe some of you think she is fat/heavy. :confused::confused: I think she is stunning and has a great figure!

No kidding! What, exactly, is fat about her? Is she bigger than a size 2? Then, she must be a great horking cow, right? :glare:

Elegance. That's what Michelle Obama - pretty as she is - lacks. As I stated before, she has a style, but it lacks elegance.

JMHO

I do see what you're saying.....but it's no different than any other first lady imo.....they all lacked it with their old lady dresses and cookie cutter suits. First Lady elegance hasn't been around since Jackie O.

Not that it matters tremendously. I'd rather see smart, acomplished, strong than 'elegant'. I'm just thrilled that one first lady is finally dressing herself rather than bowing to the wishes of the handlers.

K

I thought she looked beautiful - and I know it would be a color I would never be able to wear. And I do think the dress is elegant, and well suited to the event. She should not blend into the background - she should complement her husband, which she did beautifully. My only concern was her warmth (because I am always cold). THEN I learned that the dress and the coat are made of wool - cool legs, covered by a blanket when sitting took care of the rest! Smart woman! She knows how to be practical and fashionable. (And black shoes would have been boring!)

No kidding! What, exactly, is fat about her? Is she bigger than a size 2? Then, she must be a great horking cow, right? :glare:

I don't think anyone was saying she was fat (and she certainly is not). What we were saying is that she has a pear shape (smaller top, larger lower half). It's not any kind of knock against her. It just means that she would look best in styles that add presence to her upper half to balance things out. Here's the shape I mean.

I liked the dress, but didn't love it. I did love the matching overcoat part, though. I thought the color was lovely, the weight of the material appropriate and eyecatching. I appreciated the conservative look mixed with the bright, beautiful festive color. But I didn't think the dress shape fit her figure well. It just didn't flatter. I do think she is a beautiful, fresh-faced woman and overall looked good.

I loved Mrs. Laura Bush's outfit, though. Loved it. The style, drape and color was perfect for her. I wanted the dress for myself. She just gets cuter and classier everytime I see her. I hope I can be lovely like that when I'm her age. Her haircut is modern, classy fun but ladylike. I'd like to try something like that with my hair.

Seriously?!?!?!

Well, I couldn't care less what she's wearing.

With an economy gone to hell in a handbasket I just hope her husband can keep us afloat.

I don't know the rules of dressing and have no idea who should wear what fabric or what time of day or season it should be worn!

But I will say that I love Mrs. Biden's hooker boots!

Same here, Karen. I just wish I could find a pair of boots that slide over my chunky calves with ease.

When the day comes that commentators assess how well the President and Vice-President's suits fit, if the color and cut flatter their complexion and figure, I'll join in to critique the ladies' fashion sense. Btw, I have a floral brocade jacket that I wear to work with slacks.

I thought they were both beautiful on her. I'd love to be able to wear that lemongrass color, it just doesn't work on me. Both dresses were elegant and stylish. I like Laura, but her outfits are boring. Our new first lady looked fresh, fun, and alive, and very dignified! I love her style, and I do think its the closest to Jackie O's elegance that we've seen.

Oh, and her daughters looked fab, too!

When the day comes that commentators assess how well the President and Vice-President's suits fit, if the color and cut flatter their complexion and figure, I'll join in to critique the ladies' fashion sense. Btw, I have a floral brocade jacket that I wear to work with slacks.

They will--when we have a woman as President and/or VP! ;)

I'm no fashionista - but I liked the parade dress (lemongrass?) but with two different shades of green as accessories (gloves and shoes)?? - I liked the ball gown. I didn't like the dress she wore to the prayer service though.

I thought she looked lovely, but more important I thought her outfits served her well for the occasions that she had to attend! The inaugural dress looked quite warm (she had to spend a lot of time outside in below freezing temps!) and the ball dress looked comfortable and like it could hold up without wrinkling (she had to go to 10 balls and sit in a limo while traveling between them).

I liked the matching overcoat and dress concept, but I thought it made her look heavy, and I've never thought that in any other pictures of her. I thought that the overcoat should have been cinched in more at the waist or buttoned. I think part of the problem was that the material was just too heavy and textured to be flattering to anyone's figure. I read somewhere that it was wool lace, and that would add a lot of bulk to someone. I love how she wears cardigans, but I thought that the cardigan with this outfit seemed too casual. I did not like the rhinestone (or diamond?) bling at the top of the cardigan; what happened to her pearls which would have been so appropriate to the morning/afternoon occasion? I suppose that the pearls, as well as a traditional blue or red would have been too expected. I do think the chartreuse color suited her, but the olive green of the leather gloves and the darker, more blue-green of the shoes made the whole outfit look off.

I loved the girls outfits and thought they looked precious and appropriate but contemporary, too.

I was not thrilled with her ball gown. I think it's admirable that she's giving young designers exposure, but I didn't think the color or cut did much for her. I thought that the flowing skirt and flowers were just too ethereal for such a regal occasion and made her look heavier, too. What was the deal with that one-shouldered strap? It looked like it was just thrown on there and wasn't part of the structure of the dress. I saw a picture of Nancy Reagan's white one-shouldered inaugural gown and it looked so much more chic and elegant.

Did anyone see her outfit from her first day in the White House?

http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/general/photos/0,,20253745,00.html

I wonder if the reason the inaugural dress looked very slightly more bulky was because perhaps it was specially made to be warm? Maybe it had some layers of Thinsulate or something sewn into it. If so, they did a great job of it.

Actually, yes, I just looked at one of the pics in a series linked above, this one, and you'll see what I mean:

http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/general/photos/0,,20253745_20253744_20568992,00.html

If you kind of look up under her skirt (in a strictly seamstress kind of way), you'll see a relatively thick-looking lining in there. Plus in this picture you can see by the rather stiff "hang" of the skirt itself that it is lined with a heavier material than would be normal. See how it kind of bells out a little from her body? That looks like it's due to the lining. Like I said though, they did a wonderful job with it-barely noticeable! And even though the fabric of the dress itself is fairly heavy, she would have needed that lining on a day like that, outside for that amt of time.

Edited by HappyGrace