Menu

I hope this isn't political! What do you think of what Mrs. Obama is wearing?

Do you like what she has chosen to wear for the inaugural ceremonies today? I think she is always a bit "off." Not horribly so, but there is always something I think isn't quite right. I don't think the gold is the most flattering color for her, and I have issues with wearing brocade during the day. It seems more like an evening fabric to me, but maybe this is a Southern bias.

What do you think?

The responses to this thread are proof of one thing - "to each his own". Some love Mrs. Obama's choice in clothing, some do not. :D Most important of all, as others have already pointed out, is that her dh clearly thinks she is the cat's meow and for that I am very thankful.

Now, here is my personal opinion of some of her outfits speaking strictly from a fashion sense:

1) The election night black and red - not horrible but wouldn't have been my first choice. It really did put me in mind of a black widow. :tongue_smilie:

2) Inaugural parade attire - from a distance, the fabric looked attractive and I thought the style (underdress with overcoat) was very smart. However, as I viewed close up shots, I decided I would not have opted for that fabric design, personally. I believe I could have achieved the goal of heavier fabric without that particular weave detail. I think the color was good for her and the olive green gloves complimented the lemongrass color of her outfit very nicely. Unfortunately, the blue green shoes clashed (again, in my personal opinion) horribly with the whole rest of the ensemble. If I could not find olive green shoes to match the gloves and tie it all together that way, I would have chosen winter white shoes, I think, for lack of a better option. One other thing I would have done differently would be to wear pearls (to coordinate, possibly, with my winter white shoes) rather than the jeweled neck dressing she wore).

3) The Ball gown - well, honestly and factually speaking, it really did, fairly immediately, put me in mind of my grandmother's bedspread with chenille balls. :-} Really. I agree with others who had a problem with the overly large strap across one shoulder. That lady has an *awesome* upper body in terms of tone and I do not feel that dress did her justice at all. I also noticed the burden that the train appeared to represent for her throughout the evening. On a positive note, I do feel the color of the dress was good for her. (On a side note - I think Megyn Kelly's (FOX news) jewel toned green dress was absolutely stunning in color on her!)

Having said all that, again, to each his own. I'm sure she felt very elegant in each of these outfits and that, ladies, is what it's all about - feeling like the Belle of the Ball! It really is irrelevant what Sharon in SC thinks about them! :D

Edited by Sharon in SC

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I picked my husband up from work last night I was telling him about the threads on the board today discussing Mrs. Obama's clothing choices. When I told him her ball gown had been compared to a bedspread, curtains, and toilet paper, his immediate response was "No, no, they've got it wrong. In that dress she looked like the album cover photo on Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass Whipped Cream & Other Delights!"

Here's a link for everyone like me who didn't immediately remember this album cover. I can see how this might remain in the male mind a bit longer than in mine. :rolleyes:

When I picked my husband up from work last night ..... his immediate response was "No, no, they've got it wrong. In that dress she looked like the album cover photo on Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass Whipped Cream & Other Delights!"

Here's a link for everyone like me who didn't immediately remember this album cover. I can see how this might remain in the male mind a bit longer than in mine. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Good memory. And Herb is a jazz musician, so it's possible the visual was in their distant past too?

My .02 -- I thought the day outfit was a good, not great, choice for color and style. The evening gown was unfortunate -- not flattering and not very practical with the unwieldy fabric and train for all the dancing and travelling they had to do. The comparisons to chenille bedspreads are not far off, sadly.

I'm sure she'll find her style as she's exposed to more and more designers and gets some good advice, but some folks have a better innate sense of style than others. She seems interested in style, and has a lovely "real woman's figure" -- what better spot to be in than where she is now to discover it?

...his immediate response was "No, no, they've got it wrong. In that dress she looked like the album cover photo on Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass Whipped Cream & Other Delights!"

Here's a link for everyone like me who didn't immediately remember this album cover.

Oh, my word. Tell your dh I completely agree with him. We *did* have it all wrong. He's absolutely right! :lol::lol::lol: I literally burst out laughing when I opened this link!!

The dress is green 'lace' over white. I think that is why there are some people calling it anything from green, to yellow, to gold. It depends on how much light is hitting the white layer underneath and showing through. This is also why her shoes and glove don't seem to match. They match the green, but when you see the dress from a distance, it doesn't appear to be the same color as in person. The fabric isn't sparkly, it is just the white showing through.

You can see the fabric here....http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2009/01/a-yellow-dress.html

I think that she really likes a lot of texture in her outfits. That is great, but she will really have to consider that the details turn into 'bulk' when viewed from a distance.

This is also why her shoes and glove don't seem to match. They match the green, but when you see the dress from a distance, it doesn't appear to be the same color as in person. You can see the fabric here....http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2009/01/a-yellow-dress.html

I think the gloves match the green in that fabric perfectly. The shoes are a different story. :tongue_smilie: The shoes have too much blue in them to be a good coordinate for that fabric.

I think the gloves match the green in that fabric perfectly. The shoes are a different story. :tongue_smilie: The shoes have too much blue in them to be a good coordinate for that fabric.

I agree that they weren't the best choice but her Jimmy Choo's aren't as blue/green as they appeared in some photos. I do wish the shoes and gloves would have matched. The in person fashion reviews called them 'dark green'.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/fashion/2009/01/20/2009-01-20_michelle_obama_wears_1500_isabel_toledo_-1.html

Part of the issue is that she was trying to buy 'off the rack' clothes instead of tailor made. I can't imagine that it would be easy to hit the stores and go shopping with all the ss in tow! lol

Her dress will available at Barneys in the spring, and she used various parts of the J Crew brand thoughout the day/night. It will be interesting to see how long that lasts. I would guess that a company like J Crew would just send her samples, hoping that she will wear them in photos, and not expect her to go out shopping. But it would be funny to hear people saying ..... I saw Michelle at mall 205 today... lol.

I agree that they weren't the best choice but her Jimmy Choo's aren't as blue/green as they appeared in some photos. I do wish the shoes and gloves would have matched. The in person fashion reviews called them 'dark green'.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/fashion/2009/01/20/2009-01-20_michelle_obama_wears_1500_isabel_toledo_-1.html

Part of the issue is that she was trying to buy 'off the rack' clothes instead of tailor made. I can't imagine that it would be easy to hit the stores and go shopping with all the ss in tow! lol

Her dress will available at Barneys in the spring, and she used various parts of the J Crew brand thoughout the day/night. It will be interesting to see how long that lasts. I would guess that a company like J Crew would just send her samples, hoping that she will wear them in photos, and not expect her to go out shopping. But it would be funny to hear people saying ..... I saw Michelle at mall 205 today... lol.

I think we should be able to hope, for her sake, that the luxury of having someone, in addition to doing her laundry and cooking her meals, run errands for her will include folks able to coordinate color to include items purchased off the rack. :-} I agree that J crew should capitalize on this opportunity to "get their name out there"!