Menu

Anybody with solid white dishes, no pattern?

from IKEA and Cost Plus.

The IKEA ones are sturdier, and they have a lot of different shapes and serving dishes, very reasonably priced, that go well together.

One thing IKEA has that I really like are buffet dishes--a medium sized plate with a saucer ring that is off to the side, so you can balance a matching mug and still have room for food. Great for a modern tea, or for soup and salad.

Ours are Martha Stewart, from Kmart! They came with lg plates, bowls, coffee mugs, and salad plates. It is a HUGE box-I don't even know how many plate settings, and have lasted us so far for 5 years. If they still have them, get them. I don't remember the price, but it was a steal. I have other hand painted dishes, that I mix & match with them, if we have company.

We have Mikasa's Studio Nova Tivoli White which is an everyday china we received as wedding gifts in 1993 but replaced it a few years ago with Corelle's Winter Frost White. We have a different set for formal dining (Imperial Rose which is not all white).

The Tivoli White did get a few chips from rough use and is now discontinued (but found on the Replacements website) but I was more concerned with being able to "allow" my children to help with the dishes. I've had no problems with the Corelle and we use it everyday and the bonus is that the kids can load and unload the dishwasher and I am not concerned thatthey might break a dish.

Another vote for Ikea. Friends gave us ours about 8 years ago - they were getting a new pattern so I don't know how long they had them - but they've held up well, except for the occasional break while washing. :) I've found they need a good hand scrub every now and then but then they're good as new.

I have solid white round correlle dishes with no pattern, not even scalloped edges or whatever

I love it - durable and matches anything, so if I want to add a fancy serving platter that granny gave I can. I never have to worry about changing my decor either. Not that I ever would anyways.:)

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I'm shocked to be the first person to recommend Fiesta Ware. My basic service is in white and I'm starting to collect service in other colors for seasonal use. Plus, I can mix in serving pieces of other colors to add brightness to the table. I love them! Fiesta Ware is made in the USA, too!

The following site is an Amazon third party seller but if you order from their web site, you get free shipping for orders over $99. However, I got mine when Dillard's was having a sale on the 5 piece place setting with the bonus java mug for $20 per place setting. That way I got the big cups for the grown ups and the little cups for the kids. I love them!

http://www.megachina.com/white.html

Kristina

I am on my second set of all white corelle. The first set were a wedding gift and I replaced the wih teh white ones with the calloped edges. I love that you can find additional pieces when you get need a couple more plates for /thanksgiving. They are light weight so my hands don't hurt when I pick up a hold stack of them. (arthrititis)

My favorite decorating color is green, so my serving bowls and what not are mostly some shade of green. I can use at Christmas, or orange and brown at Thanksgiving..pastel colors in the spring and it all works.

We have these from the Wm Sonoma/Pottery Barn outlet store. I've been really happy with them. Despite my children's wear and tear, they have held up GREAT!!! I have no idea how much they cost. DH bought them for me. It appears that they are also available at Target, at least the online store. :rolleyes: Probably less than what he paid!

Ours are Martha Stewart, from Kmart! They came with lg plates, bowls, coffee mugs, and salad plates. It is a HUGE box-I don't even know how many plate settings, and have lasted us so far for 5 years. If they still have them, get them. I don't remember the price, but it was a steal. I have other hand painted dishes, that I mix & match with them, if we have company.

I have these too, happyWImom! They have a ridged edge that mimics my good Wedgewood Etruria china. They are sturdy and solid, microwave safe and simple.

And I just replaced them with a flowered 1940's vintage set (for 12) I bought at a antique mall. I wanted a big change, obviously. ;)

We have had our Corelle in winter white forever. We got the first ones about 15 years ago, and have added on as we got married and had kids. I don't think they'll ever get rid of the basic white, so we can always add on or replace as needed. They are super lightweight and very durable. I think we've only broken 2-3 dishes in all that time. We have very limited cabinet space and these take up very little space. They are great for the kids because of the weight and durability as well.

There's my advertisement for Corelle! :tongue_smilie:

~Staci

I want white...made in somewhere besides China.....

Anyone still reading this thread...that has dishes made somewhere like the USA?

Carrie:-)

Fiestaware is made in the US. And, I second the vote for getting it at megachina.com They seem to have the best prices.

ETA: To answer the OP, I just bought a friend 8 place settings of white dishes from Walmart and paid only $40 for them all. They were certainly heavy enough! I think it was Walmart's Canopy brand.

We have these from the Wm Sonoma/Pottery Barn outlet store. I've been really happy with them. Despite my children's wear and tear, they have held up GREAT!!! I have no idea how much they cost. DH bought them for me. It appears that they are also available at Target, at least the online store. :rolleyes: Probably less than what he paid!

The link won't work for me.

There are some great dishes in this thread. I'm in the market and want solid white too.

I was going to Ikea tomorrow, but someone mentioned their dishes chip. I had one to chip from Ikea but the rest were ok. Hmm...

We have the IKEA ones. I think this is the line, called "365+":

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/07699/

I love them much! They are soooo cheap! And I believe they're reasonably sturdy too - no general edge cracking here. But they do occassionally break from being fully dropped. I have found that they do actually change the style ever-so-slightly from year to year (even though they call it the same thing). So when I went to replace a few individual small bowls and small side plates, they were very slightly different than the ones I had bought 2 years before, and didn't stack in the cabinet exactly the same. It wasn't to the point where it wouldn't fit or work, but just noticeable. If that matters to you, you may consider that. It's not enough to stop me, b/c the price is so right, I love their style, and I know right where to get them when I need more! They have a great bunch of serving trays, plates and bowls that go along with them, which are also quite inexpensive!

Good luck and have fun!

- Stacey in MA

I have Ikea plain white dishes. A waste of money. I have only had them a little over a year and I have had to toss 4 bowls. Almost all of them are chipped. Next time, I am doing Corelle and I don't care if people think they are ugly.

I had bad luck with Ikea plates, too, though the bowls have been fine. The plates had so many chips, they started to look like those Ninja weapon disc things.

I have collected an odd assortment of white Buffalo and Syracuse china from thrift stores. The restaurant china looks just like that type, too and I've found several of those in thrift stores too. So my odd assortment does not look like a hodgepodge. Very solid and doesn't get the scratch marks on the surface like cheaper plates do.

Well I don't know what's wrong with me, but Corelle is the worst stuff I've ever bought. We've been through 2 different sets and when they do break, they shatter into a million teeny shards. My dd had a shard in her leg when she dropped a plate and as well as even though we've carefully swept and vacuumed after dropping something I ended up with a small shard in my toe. I'd rather drop a heavier plate and have it crack in a few large pieces. I'm in the process of replacing everything with plain white too.

Well I don't know what's wrong with me, but Corelle is the worst stuff I've ever bought. We've been through 2 different sets and when they do break, they shatter into a million teeny shards. My dd had a shard in her leg when she dropped a plate and as well as even though we've carefully swept and vacuumed after dropping something I ended up with a small shard in my toe. I'd rather drop a heavier plate and have it crack in a few large pieces. I'm in the process of replacing everything with plain white too.

I just bought them over the summer. I didn't pay much for them (at Walmart), but I am discouraged about buying any replacement pieces and having them chip too....

K

We just bought the Traditional pattern from WS this weekend. I was tired of dishes chipping and cracking etc. At WS they will replace any chipped cracked dish, no questions, as long as you have the receipt. That was music to my ears because last Christmas we bought Sango dishes and I've had several chips, cracks, and serving dishes that broke in half while drying on the drying rack!

My plan is to find serving dishes from other places (Kohls has some) that are plain white so that I don't have to pay as much money.

hth

I'll try it the 'old fashioned' way.

http://www.tenstrawberrystreet.com/catalog/details.cfm?mode=details&cat_id=115&link_id=116

These are my dishes. I did have the plfatzgraff heritage, but sold those 10+ years ago to get some pretty ones. I've come full circle. The pfaltzgraff have been around for YEARS. At least 20, and they held up really well. I do sort of miss them. You can buy almost ANY accessories to go with them. And they use to sell Christmas accessories that match them too. Now, instead of a Christmas butter dish, S&P and platter, I have a whole set of Christmas plates and glasses. Why did I ever get rid of them? More is not better....

Another vote for the dishes from Cost Plus. We've been using their bowls (purchased to augment another set) for a couple of years now and have been pleased.

Cost Plus dishes have been really hit or miss for me. A few things have held up well considering the price (very low!), but some things have just chipped like crazy. I wouldn't go with Cost Plus/World Market for dishes I expect to last.

and, after 15 years, our last surviving pieces are the vegetable bowl, the tea cups and saucers (we never used), and one dinner plate.

At present, I am mixing different contours of white. I got the idea from a magazine and thought I would just pick up pieces here and there since my budget for dishes doesn't exist. I've been happy with the overall effect of mixing the white. It can be both casual and elegant.

My only problem with the Pfaltzgraf is the dinner plates are heavy.

Claire in NM

I bought a complete set in October after purchasing a wedding gift of the same pattern. I never thought I'd like white dishes, but we've enjoyed them so much. I never even got out the Christmas china this holiday; I bought the holiday accent plates and used the Mikasa. If you have a Belk's nearby, they run this on sale quite often.. I paid less than $200 for an 8 piece place setting. That should read: 8 place settings.

Edited by Jolash