Menu

Important question about pies

Terabith

2 minutes ago, Kuovonne said:

If the crust is what makes a pie a pie, would a quiche be a pie?

Yes

1 minute ago, Drama Llama said:

And what about a crustless quiche?

This doesn’t exist. 😉 Or… maybe it’s a soufflé? That’s the crustless eggy thing in my kitchen.

2 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Or crustless pumpkin pie? 

This would be just custard, right?

• Like 1

re bottomless shepherd's pie

8 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

In my world, shepherd's pie is a layer of ground lamb with carrots and peas and onions and gravy, and a layer of mashed potatoes on top, maybe with some cheese, baked so the potatoes are kinda stiff like a pie crust.  Cottage pie is the exact same thing with ground beef.  I also make it with lentils instead of or mixed with meat, and with cauliflower or sweet potatoes instead of or mixed with the potatoes.  But it's always ground meaty bottom and mashed something top. 

But... but... just sitting there in a casserole dish, with no crust??? 

I mean, it sounds delicious don't get me wrong, very much like moussaka which I adore, but... what makes it PIE?

re radical implications of The Crust is the Defining Feature

6 minutes ago, Kuovonne said:

If the crust is what makes a pie a pie, would a quiche be a pie?

Indeed, this thread has brought this very important question to the surface, and although I've never considered it before, I do believe that, yes, quiche is pie.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Pam in CT said:

re bottomless shepherd's pie

But... but... just sitting there in a casserole dish, with no crust??? 

I mean, it sounds delicious don't get me wrong, very much like moussaka which I adore, but... what makes it PIE?

It has a top crust! Pastry is carbs, potatoes are carbs.

That's my best argument, anyway.

What about pizza? I think so, at least the deep dish. When does a crust become bread? Also, what about those weird desserts the delivery pizza places have, where they’ve doctored their crust and added things like chocolate sauce and marshmallows? Are those pies? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, TechWife said:

What about pizza? I think so, at least the deep dish. When does a crust become bread? Also, what about those weird desserts the delivery pizza places have, where they’ve doctored their crust and added things like chocolate sauce and marshmallows? Are those pies? 

Hmmmm. Pizza crust is not pastry/pie crust. It is flatish bread. Not the same, imo.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TechWife said:

What about deep dish that has a flakier crust snd comes up the sides of the filling? 

Well, idk. Not sure I’ve ever had that.
Is it yeasted? Then it’s bread, not crust. Quick “breads” are really cake.

But then soda bread is bread….

So confusing…

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, TechWife said:

First of all, the weird dessert pizza things are an affront to the dignity of real pizza. They don't count.

Second, it if has yeast and has to proof/rise, then gets a bunch of air pockets in it, it is bread.

I feel this is true, therefore I am declaring it true. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

yes, they are pies.  they are a filling, baked with a crust. (with or without a bottom crust.  (I do a top 'crust' from - my own - biscuit dough)

cobblers are fruit "pies" with only a top crust.  (that was about all my grandmother every made.)

some pies only have bottom crusts e.g. key lime, or pecan.

quiche - are pies, they have a custard filling (with cheese, meat, and sometimes veggies), baked in a pie shell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

In a crust shell, or more like an empanada?  

You can, at least, tell us which spices to heap in. 

Either. But I'm a open face pie crust is easiest.

Cumin, coriander (spice), ground or minced onion, minced garlic, paprika (sweet or smoked or a combo), salt, pepper, and minced coriander (herb) or parsley.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

You put a bottom crust on your shepherd's pie?  

I love shepherd's or cottage pie, but I must admit I am now wondering if they are actually pie.  If I go with the "crust" definition, then they go in the "things we call pie that really aren't" along with Amish pot pie, and cutie-pies.  

Shepherd's and cottage pie in the UK have a potato topping and no pastry case. See also fish pie. 

• Confused 1

Ok. I belong to a Pie Club and we have very strong feelings. The official vote was that a Pie must contain both crustage and fillage to be a pie.  So, cheesecake IS a pie, but Boston cream pie is not. 

Savory pies are “legally” pies as are pizzas. Hand pies and empanadas are also pies. 

ETA: Photo for street cred. This photo was taken after the savory course pies had been consumed. Yes. This is the second round of pies. 🤣

DE2822CA-B71C-4CE6-8436-70580F2DA547.jpeg

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Hmmmm. Pizza crust is not pastry/pie crust. It is flatish bread. Not the same, imo.

Crust is crust. You can make a pie with a graham cracker crust and it’s still a pie.  Not all crust is pastry crust. Spaghetti pie has a noodle crust.

My pie club voted that shepherd’s pie isn’t “pie” because it hasn’t got a bottom crust and that a top crust is an auxiliary crust and, while a nice extra, does not constitute a “crustage” that can contain “fillage.” Entire categories of shepherd’s pies and cobblers got targeted that day. We have 2nd generation members now, so I may plan some bribes and a re vote. 

It should be noted that I was the dissenting vote and the whole debate got kicked off because I wanted to include an apple crisp in the mix. I got out voted, but brought an apple crisp pie to the next meeting. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Crust is crust. You can make a pie with a graham cracker crust and it’s still a pie.  Not all crust is pastry crust. Spaghetti pie has a noodle crust.

My pie club voted that shepherd’s pie isn’t “pie” because it hasn’t got a bottom crust and that a top crust is an auxiliary crust and, while a nice extra, does not constitute a “crustage” that can contain “fillage.” Entire categories of shepherd’s pies and cobblers got targeted that day. We have 2nd generation members now, so I may plan some bribes and a re vote. 

It should be noted that I was the dissenting vote and the whole debate got kicked off because I wanted to include an apple crisp in the mix. I got out voted, but brought an apple crisp pie to the next meeting. 😂

So, bread boules for soup are . . . ?  

Now, I want to join a pie club.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I am loving your pie club! 😂😂😂

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

So, bread boules for soup are . . . ?  

Now, I want to join a pie club.  

No pie. Bread bowls are bread. They have yeast, need to proof/rise, are filled with air holes instead of flaking because of a fat such has heavy amounts of butter or lard.

I do like a good bread bowl though!

12 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

Shepherd's pie made with beef instead of lamb.

I have never seen a shepherd's pie made with a crust.  Is that just me? 

When I’ve made shepherds pie ( but with beef, so actually Cottage pie?!?) it has no bottom crust, and mashed potatoes on top, no actual crust anywhere.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Pie Club! Brilliant! I need this in my life.

I wanna join the pie club!! Even though the one thing I can't make is a pie crust LOL.  

I make chicken pot "pie" in a oblong baking dish with biscuits on top too.  

Anyway, just wanted to add that I love pie of all shapes and sizes!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Ok. I belong to a Pie Club and we have very strong feelings. The official vote was that a Pie must contain both crustage and fillage to be a pie.  So, cheesecake IS a pie, but Boston cream pie is not. 

Savory pies are “legally” pies as are pizzas. Hand pies and empanadas are also pies. 

ETA: Photo for street cred. This photo was taken after the savory course pies had been consumed. Yes. This is the second round of pies. 🤣

DE2822CA-B71C-4CE6-8436-70580F2DA547.jpeg

That looks amazing! 

A custard doesn't have to be baked, though. I make pumpkin custard and (crustless) pumpkin pie with two different recipes.

I grew up calling cottage pie (with no crust except the mashed potatoes) shepherd's pie.

I love Boston cream pie but can seldom get a GF one.

I've never considered pizza a pie (or a bread or a cake... it's pizza).

I might start a rival Pie Club that will take to a vote anything baked in a pie pan.

What do y'all think of the Cube Rule, in which Calzone is a category but pie is not?

https://www.reddit.com/r/tumblr/comments/v5w0r2/food/?rdt=36852

Edited by 73349
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 73349 said:

I've never considered pizza a pie (or a bread or a cake... it's pizza).

I haven't ever really considered pizza a pie but I can understand the argument for its consideration, and then of course some people actually call it 'pizza pie', as in the song...

"When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore!" 😁

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

Breakfast:  bowl of oatmeal with 2TB each flax and chia seeds, “that looks like enough” blueberries afterwards 

Morning snack at preschool:  ounce of almonds and an orange 

Lunch part 1 (eaten while helping kids):  2 cups spinach and kale, most of a red bell pepper 

Lunch part 2:  apple, two large handfuls of baby carrots with guacamole (half avocado and onion salt), half of a lentiful bowl (1/3 cup lentils with 1/3 cup water and some seasoning)

Dinner:  four strawberries, some meatloaf, a baked potato. Store was out of broccoli and green beans so low veggie dinner 

No pie?! ☹️😱😳