Menu

Important question about pies

Terabith

54 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Making pumpkin not-pie tonight. Custard. I’m out of flour so no crust. 

This is how I like it best and usually make it. I really only like crust with chicken pot pie. Pumpkin pie is one of the few fruit pies I eat because it’s very easy to flip it over and peel off the crust if someone else makes it.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I am going to issue fighting words.

Chocolate pie is the best. Pecan pie is second best.

Live with it people! 😁😁😉

Chocolate pecan pie used to be my favorite. I make it at Christmas. It’s too overwhelmingly sweet for me now. 

Apple and pumpkin are my faves, assuming excellent crust. 

• Like 2

Chocolate pecan is excellent, but, only the teensiest bit and only with bittersweet chocolate or it is indeed too sweet.  Regular pecan, also excellent. A good deep dish apple with cheddar cheese accompanying: wonderful. Highly spiced pumpkin as well.

But those are all Winter Pies.

The best pie is a summer pie: raspberry, with lattice top.

Ah yes, peach pie, also excellent.

(Peaches, generally, are hit or miss here; they arrive underripe and overrefrigerated and rarely ripen properly.  My kids literally grew up holding them up suspiciously muttering dare I eat this peach?  because they are so often disappointing.  They are a true treat when we journey southbound.)

2 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

Ah yes, peach pie, also excellent.

(Peaches, generally, are hit or miss here; they arrive underripe and overrefrigerated and rarely ripen properly.  My kids literally grew up holding them up suspiciously muttering dare I eat this peach?  because they are so often disappointing.  They are a true treat when we journey southbound.)

Yes, I remember peaches when I didn’t live a half-day’s drive from peach orchards! Better off with frozen ones than hard, dry, unsweet ones - at least for pie.

• Like 1