Menu

Can we discuss Miranda Lambert?

Scarlett

4 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Every concert I’ve ever been to since cell phones became a thing has been filled with audience members taking selfies.

So I don’t get it.

Right. Then another video surfaced where she popped a beach ball that I guess someone had brought in. 

She isn’t endearing  herself to fans.

• Like 2

I read they were using flash, which was sometimes pointed at ML, framing her in their selfie.  I’d also heard it was four women, who were doing group shot after group shot, blocking views.  Most shows either the security removes them for using flash or the patrons around them take care of the rude behavior.
Having said that, ML might want to watch how other artists are embracing patrons creating content during shows. Taylor Swift and Beyoncé for sure, but even like almost 10 years ago I was at a Brad Paisley concert and he took audience phones and shot video from his perspective. Lots of artists have embraced phones, knowing that for fans that photo can mean a lot. 

• Like 8

I’m old and crotchety and even I think taking a selfie with your friends at a concert is part of the current day concert experience. Then she says “they aren’t listening” not even they are standing up and blocking people or distracting people or being rude. “Not listening” as the complaint is even weirder to me. Who sits and just listens politely at a pop country concert? It makes her seem unhinged actually. It isn’t like they were videoing the whole concert or not being in the moment and just scrolling or something. They were taking a selfie having fun at a concert. 

• Like 8

Just now, Annie G said:

I read they were using flash, which was sometimes pointed at ML, framing her in their selfie.  I’d also heard it was four women, who were doing group shot after group shot, blocking views.  Most shows either the security removes them for using flash or the patrons around them take care of the rude behavior.
Having said that, ML might want to watch how other artists are embracing patrons creating content during shows. Taylor Swift and Beyoncé for sure, but even like almost 10 years ago I was at a Brad Paisley concert and he took audience phones and shot video from his perspective. Lots of artists have embraced phones, knowing that for fans that photo can mean a lot. 

It was definitely an actual photo, with Miranda in the background.  I believe they ask another fan to take the photo.  Not sure how many it was…..but yes whether or not it was distracting she definitely needs to understand how fans operate.  

Did anyone see the video of Taylor getting mad at her own hair during a concert.  She is so cute.  Letting her fans scream all the words to all her songs…her ego could flare up and say let me sing at least one song….but nope…..she is there to entertain and she does it well.

• Like 8

I haven't been to a big concert like this in ages.  Do they make a no photo/phone/shut down electronics announcement at the beginning?  Because if they do not, she can and should deal.  I would assume they don't.   

If you go to a theater production, they DO make this announcement.  And that is the expectation.  I actually volunteer at about a 700 seat regional theater and was an usher today.  A handfull of people get busted every show for pulling out their phone, possibly trying to take a photo.  But it's typically not a problem.  I always think audience members should be respectful of those around them, regardless of venue.  But country/pop/rock concerts typically have  much more spirited audiences.

Taylor Swift was here a couple weeks ago and those selfies are some people's most treasured memory of that concert.  Maybe being a touring pop artist isn't for her.  Maybe classical audiences or high end jazz clubs would be a better fit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, catz said:

I haven't been to a big concert like this in ages.  Do they make a no photo/phone/shut down electronics announcement at the beginning?  Because if they do not, she can and should deal.  I would assume they don't.   

If you go to a theater production, they DO make this announcement.  And that is the expectation.  I actually volunteer at about a 700 seat regional theater and was an usher today.  A handfull of people get busted every show for pulling out their phone, possibly trying to take a photo.  But it's typically not a problem.  I always think audience members should be respectful of those around them, regardless of venue.  But country/pop/rock concerts typically have  much more spirited audiences.

Taylor Swift was here a couple weeks ago and those selfies are some people's most treasured memory of that concert.  Maybe being a touring pop artist isn't for her.  Maybe classical audiences or high end jazz clubs would be a better fit.

I think I read where this was her Las Vegas debut concert….like the in house thing. 

I am getting pretty tired of selfie takers hogging all the good views of art or music performances, on and on.  There is a give an take about this that has largely been lost—meaning, it’s reasonable and kind to avoid messing up somebody’s photograph while they are taking it but it’s also reasonable and kind not to excessively and lengthily block other people’s views, particularly for extended periods of time.

The local museum actually has picture free days specifically because this has become such an issue.  I suspect that some performers are going to want to do that, too, or to limit photography to those who buy VIP spots.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I am getting pretty tired of selfie takers hogging all the good views of art or music performances, on and on.  

As an older person who enjoys attending concerts, I don’t really love that it’s so common for the crowd to be standing and dancing the entire show. I have the same issue w some sporting events we’ve attended- if we don’t stand, we can’t see. I know and expect some shows will be like that- Taylor Swift, for example. And it’s been going on for many years.  It it’s still hard for people why buy seats and want to sit in them. 

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I am getting pretty tired of selfie takers hogging all the good views of art or music performances, on and on.  There is a give an take about this that has largely been lost—meaning, it’s reasonable and kind to avoid messing up somebody’s photograph while they are taking it but it’s also reasonable and kind not to excessively and lengthily block other people’s views, particularly for extended periods of time.

The local museum actually has picture free days specifically because this has become such an issue.  I suspect that some performers are going to want to do that, too, or to limit photography to those who buy VIP spots.

If I'm not mistakem, these ladies WERE in a VIP booth - paid big money to be there and their standing up did not block anybody else's view because of the VIP set up. That is what I've seen and heard on social media, so I could be wrong.

In any case, it seems that ML forgot WHO pays her paychecks. Without fans there isn't a paycheck. Her ego may be getting a large reality check soon.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

We had issues at the Art Institute in Chicago because so many people were taking selfies in front of the art. They weren't even looking at the art, just getting that selfie to post of them pretending to be part of American Gothic. It was really frustrating because I would have liked to spend 2 or 3 minutes actually looking at the art, but everyone was there posing. 

• Like 1

I recognize selfies are part of our culture  & there’s a mentality of “pictures or it didn’t happen.”

I’m “old school” when it comes to showing respect to those who have studied, rehearsed & traveled to share their art with everyone while at the same time recognizing that performance is how artists get paid.  To not pay attention to an artist is disrespectful.

Paying attention to the concert you came to is expected etiquette, whether it be the professional symphony, the middle school band, the poetry reading at a bookstore or a famous pop artist. To not pay attention shows that the attendee does not value either the performer as a person or the art as a discipline.

This doesn’t mean people can’t stand and sing or dance - doing those things at the appropriate time & place is a way demonstrate your appreciation & understanding of the performance. Ok at a rock concert, not at a typical symphony. 

I recently heard Patti LuPone tell this story - I think it was on Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me, which may have been airing a rerun. It’s in a similar vein as she took advantage of scripted audience interaction and took a phone away from someone. For those wondering what happened to the phone.‘she gave it for the stage manager who then gave it to the venue security team to hold.

I’m glad women are standing up, frankly.  

https://www.cnn.com/2015/07/09/entertainment/feat-patti-lupone-cell-phone/index.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Right. Then another video surfaced where she popped a beach ball that I guess someone had brought in. 

She isn’t endearing  herself to fans.

If I were in her shoes and able to get the beach ball, I’d grab it and hand it off to someone. No way I’d pop it because you can’t tell what’s in there. But get it out of my face, you betcha!

• Like 1

I think artists are feeling a little touchy, too, because there have been recent incidents of audience members throwing things.  Bebe Rexa was hit by a thrown phone and ended up with a blackeye and needing stitches. The news said Drake, Lil Nas X, and a few other artists (that I haven't heard of) have had stuff thrown at them.  Pink had someone throw a bag with their mother's ashes at her on stage. 

Fans behaving poorly is nothing new, but there's a really nasty, negative vibe that's running through these events lately.     

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shoeless said:

I think artists are feeling a little touchy, too, because there have been recent incidents of audience members throwing things.  Bebe Rexa was hit by a thrown phone and ended up with a blackeye and needing stitches. The news said Drake, Lil Nas X, and a few other artists (that I haven't heard of) have had stuff thrown at them.  Pink had someone throw a bag with their mother's ashes at her on stage. 

Fans behaving poorly is nothing new, but there's a really nasty, negative vibe that's running through these events lately.     

Maybe so but I don’t think that was the case at the ML concert.  

From what I have seen on social media, it was a bad look for her. The women were in a VIP booth up front, and posed in a group selfie so that ML was in the background. It’s a great picture. They must be big fans to have sprung for such good seats. 
I can see it being a distraction for her, but she didn’t handle it well. And cameras are allowed in her shows. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

From what I have seen on social media, it was a bad look for her. The women were in a VIP booth up front, and posed in a group selfie so that ML was in the background. It’s a great picture. They must be big fans to have sprung for such good seats. 
I can see it being a distraction for her, but she didn’t handle it well. And cameras are allowed in her shows. 

They may not have spent any money at all, though. They just “know people.” That may actually explain their lack of respect, TBH. At the venues I’m familiar with the VIP booths are by subscription purchase and aren’t available to the general public. Corporations purchase them and use them to entertain clients, potential clients and/or reward employees. A few are “owned” by very wealthy individuals. When tickets aren’t used for corporate purposes, they are sometimes offered up to employees at different levels on a first come, first served basis. Some companies just let them go unused for any given event. 

• Like 2

I can't imagine myself ever being in a situation where I"m performing for a crowd like that, but, thinking about how I handle annoying things when I teach, I think I'd probably have gone with something more like 'OK, y'all, there seem to be some people trying to get selfies.  I get it - if you don't have a pic it didn't happen - but the flash is really distracting.  So, how about this...I pretend to sing and everybody get their pictures now.  In 2 minutes everybody should have their selfies and groupies and then I can get back to singing and you can get back to enjoying yourselves without the flashes bugging everybody...all right, is everybody done?  Let's get back to the music!'.  I've done similar things with my class -  'Y'all are unusually chatty today...let's take a 3 minute break so that you can stretch and get your words out while I'm not trying to teach' or 'Y'all seem to have a lot of words today, so let's try a bit of review...who can tell me what X is?'.  It's not a common thing, but every now and then the class comes in and a few people or everybody is acting like a squirrel on uppers and I just need to manage the weirdness.  It's not always possible, but it's easier to work with rather than against the group when you can.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, fraidycat said:

If I'm not mistakem, these ladies WERE in a VIP booth - paid big money to be there and their standing up did not block anybody else's view because of the VIP set up. That is what I've seen and heard on social media, so I could be wrong.

In any case, it seems that ML forgot WHO pays her paychecks. Without fans there isn't a paycheck. Her ego may be getting a large reality check soon.

The way they are set up varies by venue, but there sure are places where people standing in a VIP booth might block the view of some seats behind them.

Money doesn’t buy the right to rudeness, for anyone. The beauty of manners rooted in sound etiquette is that it can be practiced by everyone. 

• Like 2

The person who was having the photos taken is an "influencer" who lives in Las Vegas. There is video of the incident on twitter (if you don't have twitter, the video is embedded in this news articlescroll down to the tweet by John Katsilometes).

From this angle it certainly appears that they were blocking other people's view. They were taking multiple photos with their backs to the stage when the lights had been turned down because Lambert was doing a slow ballad; the flash from their cameras was very visible and pointed directly at the stage. A spokesman for Lambert says she has a no flash policy at her concerts. The group photos were not the only photos this woman took, she had already been taking photos of herself while Lambert was performing.:

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 8.11.27 AM.png

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1

I think the more intimate the venue, the ruder this is.  In a small, close space you are distracting the performer and messing with their vision if you use a flash.  It would be nice if they had a phone-free section for patrons who want to be in the moment and not see the show through the screens in front of them.  A lot of theatres and movie theatres have policies that work and enough staff to manage it so that the artist doesn't have to.  If our local drive in theatre can keep the cameras under control then a vegas venue should be able to.  If you are out in a stadium than the venue is probably big enough that there are no obstructed views, no issues with a flash, and no distraction to the artist.  It's confusing to the artist if you come to their show and don't pay attention to it.  Also, she might be reading the faces of other audience members and realizing she needs to step in.  It would have to go on for a while before an artist would stop a show to address this.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 2

Personally, if I am going to a concert, I would save photos for before/after.  Then I would put my phone away and enjoy the show.  I do not understand recording while attending a concert.  Watching through a lens or screen takes away from the experience, in my opinion.  And if they were interrupting the performer and others' viewing, then I understand what happened.  

• Like 4

Seeing the pics of the venue posted above, I can see how that would have been a distraction for her. It’s different and much smaller than I anticipated. Hopefully she’ll change her camera policy going forward so this isn’t an issue. I think this was the first show at this venue? 

• Like 2

Watching the video, I'm 100% team Miranda. Sure, it would have been better for her to communicate to her team that this needs to be better handled on an usher level. But Miranda was right, that was super rude, disruptive, and disrespectful to the other concert goers. I looked at the venue map and those VIP seats are in front of everyone. Good for Miranda.

• Like 1

I guess I am jaded because I have never been a fan. I don’t like country music much any way…..I do love ‘my mamas broken heart’ and ‘the house that built me.’   Never was a fan of her or Blake with how open they were about catching feelings for each other when he was still married.  I often think about that first wife….I think she is a teacher in the mid west somewhere.  

I have been working on blocking out the personal lives of entertainers….but I am still seeing a self centered ness  to Miranda.  Not that she cares what I think!

She handled the situation horribly. They would have been finished in a few more seconds, jeez! To set that precedent for her opening night was beyond odd to me. 

I realize this was a smaller venue, but If you don't want photos during the show, confiscate ppl’s phones (comedians do it ALL the time) or make it CRYSTAL clear that there is a policy or you will be asked to leave immediately (Beyonce used to do this). 

In the past, I have understood how distracting cameras can be for Broadway performers, but they DISTINCTLY SAY no photography and, for goodness’ sakes, no flash photography. 

Now Beyonce is bigger than life and gives zero cares who has a camera.  I’ve been to two Taylor Swift concerts this year and literally every single human being there had their phones out for most of the concert. In a venue of that size, no one even noticed.  😂

Additionally, if it was an issue she should have let security handle it - not from the stage as if they were bratty children. 

• Like 1

I've been frustrated for a few years at the stupidity of audiences and cell phone misuse in live theatre performances and children/youth music concerts. I've been a volunteer usher at our commuinty theatre and have to monitor people inside the playhouse using cell phones and annoying audience and actors during the shows. I haven't experienced quite the same level of rudeness at bigger stand-up comedy events or pop music concerts during shows, mostly because of the set-up with the stage being quite high and audience further back from the stage. I've been distracted by other stupid audience behaviour, such as smoking pot, drinking alcohol, standing up to dance in a confined seating area - and falling over other audience members. These people show a distinct lack of self-control and rudeness to the performers and other audience members. There are places to behave like that, and there are places where more self-control is needed. The cost of a concert ticket doesn't give anyone the right to be an @sshole. If you want selfies, do it before or after the show. If you want to be on your phone during a show, leave the seating area. 

On another note- dancing.  We saw KC and the Sunshine Band last year at a smaller concert venue. And everyone sat through the whole thing. That music is meant for dancing 😀 I ended up going back to a corner wall and standing the whole time so I could boogie. But, now I don’t think I’ll see any similar acts there. Because I just can’t sit still when there is good music playing! 

• Like 1

They were being rude and distracting not just to her but the rest of the audience - people who paid a good amount of money to attend this smaller venue and have a particular experience. Note that everyone else is sitting down, not standing. This wasn't a big arena with everyone standing and one person taking photos isn't going to even be noticable. it was more like a small theater, with dim lights for the ballad, everyone sitting, and this self centered person standing up and flashing a light over and over from her camera. That's disturbing her other fans. I don't see this as her attacking a fan, but sticking up for her other fans who wanted to enjoy the concert. 

Ideally, the venue staff should have taken care of this, but since they didn't, she felt the need to handle it. Fine by me. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

They were being rude and distracting not just to her but the rest of the audience - people who paid a good amount of money to attend this smaller venue and have a particular experience. Note that everyone else is sitting down, not standing. This wasn't a big arena with everyone standing and one person taking photos isn't going to even be noticable. it was more like a small theater, with dim lights for the ballad, everyone sitting, and this self centered person standing up and flashing a light over and over from her camera. That's disturbing her other fans. I don't see this as her attacking a fan, but sticking up for her other fans who wanted to enjoy the concert. 

I think the very loud cheering from the rest of the audience when she called out the selfie group shows that the people who were actually there were totally on Lambert's side. 

• Like 7

On 7/19/2023 at 10:08 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

We have a tour group from California that visits our sight 5 times over the summer. They bring 100 teachers to Ohio to trace a path on the Underground Railroad. Their first stop is our site and the tour has them walk up the steps from town to our site. It’s over 100 steep steps up the hill. The tour has them walk up the steps to the front door, lay a hand on the door and shout “freedom”. Every daggone time there are multiple teachers and groups of teachers who hold up the process to take a picture of themselves at the door. They will reenact themselves reaching the door so someone can film them. They will take multiple pictures of themselves posing at the door. The whole time there are hot sweaty teachers behind them waiting to get to the door. It is the dumbest thing. It’s supposed to be a meaningful moment but it never turns out that way because of the congestion at the door with people trying to get their perfect shot. I try to shoo them on but they just ignore me. One trio was so obnoxious holding up the line that I just stood in their pictures with an annoyed look on my face until they gave up! 
 It’s really interesting how much time these teachers spend taking pictures of themselves and their group that they will miss the talk that they paid good money for! Up to half the group will leave our site not knowing the first thing about it but with great pictures 🙄

• Like 5

If this was a clearly annouced and clear restriction on flashes in particular, I'm on "her side".  However, this was a failure of house managers, ushers, venue, etc. They could have kicked them out as far as I'm concerned in that case.  We go to a lot of performances and the vast majority don't allow phones on at all and announce it, have appropriate signs entering the venue, include it on digital tickets, etc.  I have zero patience for those thinking rules do not apply to them.  I also really dislike influencer culture.  So if this lady taking her 5 seconds of influencer fame to complain about how she is above the rules, ick.  Grow up lady.  

Her calling it out kind of ruins the show and sets a less than amazing vibe for the rest of the audience though.   It's a bad look for her and I can see why fans don't love it.  I regularly volunteer in a theater.  If someone on stage notices a problem, they whisper it to someone with a head set backstage which goes out to a house manager and someone can dip in from the back with a flash light and a warning quickly.  I would expect a high end concert like that to have professional ushers a-plenty and better communication abilities than the regional children's theater I volunteer at.   Let the venue do the enforcemen leg work and take the rap.  Get it in your contracts.

ETA - the Bakkt Theater has a capacity of 7000.  I get that isn't a football stadium but it is a fairly large venue.  Considerably larger than any broadway venue.  

Edited by catz
  • Like 2

I watched a video of Reba in concert.  She purposely adds time to encourage her fans to take selfies.  She poses, jokes with the audience, makes it an interactive thing.   Reba’s been an absolute star longer than ML has been alive, ML should learn from her.    

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

I watched a video of Reba in concert.  She purposely adds time to encourage her fans to take selfies.  She poses, jokes with the audience, makes it an interactive thing.   Reba’s been an absolute star longer than ML has been alive, ML should learn from her.    

I do not go to a concert to take selfies and sure as hell NOT to watch others take selfies. That is a HUGE reason never to go see performers who are known to do this. I go to hear the music. I have ZERO interest in watching people take selfies with the person who is there to perform. Save all that for after the show.

ETA: Sorry for the rant directed at you. It was more of a general comment, but you happened to be the one who pointed this out. My appologies. 

Edited by wintermom

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

I do not go to a concert to take selfies and sure as hell NOT to watch others take selfies. That is a HUGE reason never to go see performers who are known to do this. I go to hear the music. I have ZERO interest in watching people take selfies with the person who is there to perform. Save all that for after the show.

ETA: Sorry for the rant directed at you. It was more of a general comment, but you happened to be the one who pointed this out. My appologies. 

I think fighting selfy culture is a lost cause.  If a musician is left with interrupting the show to bawl out fans or taking 3 minutes out after the first couple of songs to stand on stage and let everyone just get the selfy and get it over with, I’ll take Reba’s approach over ML.  If someone isn’t into selfies they can use that as an opportunity at a potty break or just enjoy the buzz of the crowd for a few minutes.  One of the two is a mega star with demonstrated staying power and the other is not.  Reba probably knows better how to connect with her fans.  

I wouldn’t take a selfy, it’s not my thing.   We went a concert a couple of months ago and I didn’t take a single picture.  

Watching a performer bawl out fans would give me so much second hand embarrassment I might have to leave.  That would be so deeply uncomfortable to witness.  

ETA:  Link to video of Reba letting fans get selfies in.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 6

My understanding is her fans applauded her for calling the influencer out and stopping her. Seems if the folks there were grateful for it and supported Miranda it doesn't make much sense for those that were not there, and are not even fans, to think Miranda did the wrong thing. 

• Like 3

Other than concerts where photos are specifically prohibited, I don't see the issue.  I certainly take photos at concerts.

I mean presumably, unless it was a free concert, the fans paid a lot to be there, close enough that the artist could see what they were doing.  Isn't that enough devotion?  :P

I don't know, but it wouldn't be the first time an artist exhibited erratic behavior before a serious mental breakdown.

I'm not into her music, couldn't really tell you any songs, and don't know much about her.  I read a few headlines and rolled my eyes- drama queen?  But after you posted here I read some more articles that gave more information and decided to really look into it.  My opinion now:

1.  ML is a Drama Queen and handled it badly.

2.  It should have been handled by the venue LONG before she said anything.

3.  The Selfie-taker is a Drama Queen.  She was rude to both ML and the other guests and was creating a lot of distraction.   Her behavior was extremely rude to other concert-goers who also paid a lot of money to go to the concert.  She put herself first and only, and had no respect for others.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, easypeasy said:

She handled the situation horribly. They would have been finished in a few more seconds, jeez! To set that precedent for her opening night was beyond odd to me. 

Would they? My understanding is they had been doing it for a while. She started the song, stopped after a line or two, called them out (which likely finally got security to deal with them - I'm betting that's what the lights coming up was for) and then went back to it. She said all of ONE sentence, it's not like she lectured them for any length of time. They were being rude, and got called on it. NO ONE would have known who they were if the influencer didn't out herself by complaining about it. 

• Like 2