Menu

My van just caught on fire

Elizabeth86

Honestly I’m not entirely surprised. It’s 19 years old, had 217,000 miles on it. It had been smoking for a bit, but dh said it would be fine. We were planning on getting a newer one when we got our taxes back. I went grocery shopping with my oldest and youngest this evening. When we got back I had to change the baby and he needed to nurse, so the kids were bringing the groceries in. They came in to say the van was smoking bad and they saw sparks. Dh ran out with a fire extinguisher and called 911. The neighbor ran over with a fire extinguisher. I brought our hose around and the neighbor brought his. We were able to get the $400 worth of groceries and all the car seats out. Dh and the neighbor just about had it under control before the fire department arrived. I’m so so thankful that dh was there. I can’t imagine if all 5 kids were with me out somewhere. 

Here’s what it looked like under the hood. 

3F033766-74CF-4248-8DC1-0D91CE61D732.jpeg

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Sad 49

Wow! That’s so scary! 

So…the financial mind part of me wants to know if your auto insurance is going to help out here and you will get a new van that way. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Quill said:

Wow! That’s so scary! 

So…the financial mind part of me wants to know if your auto insurance is going to help out here and you will get a new van that way. 

I did not have full coverage on it because it was pretty much a piece of junk. I just googled trade in value and it is less than $1,000.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Quill said:

Wow! That’s so scary! 

Same. I was thinking, well, that is a total loss, I wonder if she had full coverage but she wouldn’t have got much anyway since it is older.

47 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I did not have full coverage on it because it was pretty much a piece of junk. I just googled trade in value and it is less than $1,000.

I definitely think you got the good out of that vehicle. So thankful you weren’t driving down the road when that happened.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Same. I was thinking, well, that is a total loss, I wonder if she had full coverage but she wouldn’t have got much anyway since it is older.

I definitely think you got the good out of that vehicle. So thankful you weren’t driving down the road when that happened.  

Haha yes! Dh drives vehicles until they are 💯 DONE, but this was an all time extreme. My kids were all crying though because it’s the only vehicle they have ever known. 

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Haha yes! Dh drives vehicles until they are 💯 DONE, but this was an all time extreme. My kids were all crying though because it’s the only vehicle they have ever known. 

Ds3 cried a lot when we got into an accident with our minivan when he was little.  Every time he saw the big dent in the van he would burst into tears- like he thought the van was hurting in some way.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I completely understand. We get very attached to our vehicles, too. We named our last van Shadowfax, and it was pretty shocking when Shadowfax suddenly died one day - and it was Christmas Eve, which was even more impactful. Where to find a rental? 😨

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Ds3 cried a lot when we got into an accident with our minivan when he was little.  Every time he saw the big dent in the van he would burst into tears- like he thought the van was hurting in some way.  

Awww. It’s so sad how they get attached to stuff. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I completely understand. We get very attached to our vehicles, too. We named our last van Shadowfax, and it was pretty shocking when Shadowfax suddenly died one day - and it was Christmas Eve, which was even more impactful. Where to find a rental? 😨

We name ours too. Ours was the thingamajigger. We got that from the cat in the hat knows a lot about that show. lol 

🎶“Here we go go go on an adventure, the thingamajigger is up away.” lol🎶

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 4

I'm so glad everyone, and the groceries, and the car seats are all fine!

My previous neighbor told us that he had driven through high water after a series of rainy days. He didn't give it much thought afterwards until a week or so after the rain stopped when he pulled into the gas station to fill up. The guy at the pump next to him looked over and said, "hey, your car is, um, on fire." Neighbor said that not surprisingly, no one rushes over to help you when your car is on fire sitting next to the gas pump! He pushed it away from the pump and the attendant ran out with an extinguisher. Apparently his misadventure with high water had left corn cobs stuck in the undercarriage and they finally dried out and then overheated. In his case insurance helped out with a replacement and it became a humorous story. I hope yours eventually ends in the same place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I'm so glad everyone, and the groceries, and the car seats are all fine!

My previous neighbor told us that he had driven through high water after a series of rainy days. He didn't give it much thought afterwards until a week or so after the rain stopped when he pulled into the gas station to fill up. The guy at the pump next to him looked over and said, "hey, your car is, um, on fire." Neighbor said that not surprisingly, no one rushes over to help you when your car is on fire sitting next to the gas pump! He pushed it away from the pump and the attendant ran out with an extinguisher. Apparently his misadventure with high water had left corn cobs stuck in the undercarriage and they finally dried out and then overheated. In his case insurance helped out with a replacement and it became a humorous story. I hope yours eventually ends in the same place.

Oh yikes! How awful for your neighbor!  I’ll have to see if I can find a pic of the last time dh drove through high water. It wasn’t good. lol I only have liability insurance because the van is worth less than $1,000. We were going to replace it this month anyway. I guess she just had to go out in a blaze of glory. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Elizabeth86 said:

Oh yikes! How awful for your neighbor!  I’ll have to see if I can find a pic of the last time dh drove through high water. It wasn’t good. lol I only have liability insurance because the van is worth less than $1,000. We were going to replace it this month anyway. I guess she just had to go out in a blaze of glory. lol

Glad her "blaze of glory" didn't take the garage with it. 😬 I hope that you find a great Thingamajigger 2! Maybe you can get a car decal for it, like:

Screenshot_20230418-100004.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Miss Tick said:

Glad her "blaze of glory" didn't take the garage with it. 😬 I hope that you find a great Thingamajigger 2! Maybe you can get a car decal for it, like:

Screenshot_20230418-100004.png

I love it. Luckily we don’t have a garage and our parking area is a good way from our house. I moved dh’s truck in a hurry too so that it didn’t get taken out.

• Like 2