Menu

Update: Day 6 without Coffee...

Ann.without.an.e

There isn't enough green tea in China to fix what I'm feeling. Please send help. 

“Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.” 
 Isaac Asimov

ETA: Will this get better?

ETA2: Update later down the page. I wish we still had post numbers 😞 

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, wintermom said:

I'm sorry. Is this for health reasons? Hope the journey gets easier!  I'm sticking with my "dark matter." 😉 

Coffee IS joy and there is no joy without it.

Yes, I want to do it for health purposes but I don't think I can go much longer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Keep powering through?

Assuming you have a good reason for breaking up with coffee — it does get better. It would take a really good reason for me to go through it again. Nothing vague and nebulous, but a solid reason.

Personal story ahead:

I am seriously addicted to coffee. Slave to the bean, here. Coffee is what we do, in this house. I am an espresso girl, and 5 - 6 espresso drinks per day was the norm, for decades. Americano to wake up, cappuccino mid-morning, various afternoon drinks, espresso at night.

Alas, I have a health condition that requires essentially no caffeine, though I am allowed a half cup of low acid coffee daily. This must continue while I’m in treatment, and as treatment is horribly expensive and hard to schedule, I am committed to doing All The Things. It turns out that All The Things include basically no coffee. Sigh. I can have marshmallow root or dandelion tea, but … meh.

I found the first four days to be the hardest, and am forever grateful that we all survived. Really. I didn’t kill anyone! 🤣 

But the moment I’m allowed to drink it again, I will be back to it. I can’t imagine doing this without a solid, doctors-orders, can’t-live-with-the-consequences-of-drinking-it type reason. For me, it’s a no brainer — I can live my life in bed with a heating pad, in severe pain, or I can do this for three or four months.

After the first four days of misery, my best advice is to find a caffeine free tea you like (not green tea, changing your caffeine source isn’t going to stop the craving) for those moments you need to hold a warm cup. I have found green smoothies to be a huge energy boost. Regular exercise — really up your game. And try to change the routine that leads to coffee. So, if you usually sit at a table with coffee in the am — switch it up. Sit outside. Go for a walk. Don’t sit at that table! 

And, really, I would not do this without a solid reason. 

Good luck!

• Like 4

I don't want to undermine your efforts so far, but if it's really intolerable and you have time, tapering down might be easier.

Like cut back to 75% of what you were drinking, and stay there for several days or even a week before going down to 50%, etc. 

But if you need to do this quickly or have already made it through the hardest part of the transition, hang in there, It's tough but you've got this!

• Like 2

I cut down to half a cup after my recent bad heartburn episode to not trigger another heartburn. End up napping a lot these few weeks. So now up to two cups of coffee on days kids have classes or I would be like a sleepwalker. My typical amount was three to six cups. 

I have gone without coffee before but that is when I am able to sleep all day and do nothing for a week or more. Like when kids are on summer break from all classes.

3 minutes ago, Acadie said:

I don't want to undermine your efforts so far, but if it's really intolerable and you have time, tapering down might be easier.

Like cut back to 75% of what you were drinking, and stay there for several days or even a week before going down to 50%, etc. 

But if you need to do this quickly or have already made it through the hardest part of the transition, hang in there, It's tough but you've got this!

I had a stomach bug and couldn't stomach it or keep it down for 4 days so it just seemed better to stay off of it rather than taper. 

• Like 2

Are you still on baby duty?  There is no way I'd be doing that now!  

I will say we tapered down to half decaf and that was a reasonable transition and I still feel coffee fulfilled.  We do get this really good water process decaf, it's really tasty.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, catz said:

Are you still on baby duty?  There is no way I'd be doing that now!  

I will say we tapered down to half decaf and that was a reasonable transition and I still feel coffee fulfilled.  We do get this really good water process decaf, it's really tasty.

Yes, still full time baby duty and it is super hard when you're tired. 

3 minutes ago, regentrude said:

What is healthy about a life without coffee??? (Moderation, yes. Zero coffee, why would one inflict that on oneself?)

ETA: This is actually a serious question. How is coffee in moderation health-adverse?

I have an autoimmune stomach diagnosis and coffee was considered an agitator. I'm not one to drink it all day though. I usually only drink my morning cup, which is large and probably equivalent to two cups?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

I had a stomach bug and couldn't stomach it or keep it down for 4 days so it just seemed better to stay off of it rather than taper. 

My fussy stomach and reflux doesn’t mind frappuccino with almond milk (Starbucks or homemade) when I need to be out and about and can’t just sleep off the caffeine deficiency. I drink the equivalent of a venti size of the iced Starbucks Frappuccino when needed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My fussy stomach and reflux doesn’t mind frappuccino with almond milk (Starbucks or homemade) when I need to be out and about and can’t just sleep off the caffeine deficiency. I drink the equivalent of a venti size of the iced Starbucks Frappuccino when needed.

I can have caffeine, just not coffee. So I've been trying to drink Green tea but it simply isn't the same. Maybe I'll just drink more of it. 

I'm sorry.  I really like my coffee.  Thankfully coffee agrees with my health and improves my personality.

There is science to prove that coffee has health benefits.  But for some people it can cause problems.  Unless you're definitely one of those people, you might want to do some more research.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

I can have caffeine, just not coffee. So I've been trying to drink Green tea but it simply isn't the same. Maybe I'll just drink more of it. 

Have you tried cold brew coffee? Green tea unfortunately does not keep me awake even if I drink a few pots. I grew up drinking pots of green tea when having meals at Chinese restaurants.

• Like 2

Just now, Arcadia said:

Have you tried cold brew coffee? Green tea unfortunately does not keep me awake even if I drink a few pots. I grew up drinking pots of green tea when having meals at Chinese restaurants.

ok, I'm so glad it isn't just me then. I feel like I should be making up the difference in caffeine but I'm still dead in the water here. 

3 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I wish you all the best in your insane and clearly demented journey. 😁

Sitting here drinking coffee....🏃🏃🏃🏃🏃🏃🏃

2 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

hugs!  that sounds like hell

Just now, Hilltopmom said:

I’ve never made it past day 3 due to the  head aches and nausea. You’re probably in the home stretch!

Yes, yes it definitely feels like an insane and demented journey. But I also feel like it is necessary?  I feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't 😞 

Years and years go I did it for a few months when I was AIP. Months in I still felt tired and joyless, I finally caved and did it as AIP plus my morning coffee. Months didn't make it better. But now, it seems my stomach is at stake so I have no clue what to do. 

• Sad 2

Just now, Hilltopmom said:

I’ve never made it past day 3 due to the  head aches and nausea. You’re probably in the home stretch!

Same here. I told the doc if there is ever enough reason that I should seriously co insider going off coffee, he could either sedate me for a couple weeks, or zofran and narcotics would have to be involved. He wasn't amused. We also don't talk about it now. 

Ann, if you live to tell the tale, you should get some sort of prize.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

ok, I'm so glad it isn't just me then. I feel like I should be making up the difference in caffeine but I'm still dead in the water here. 

1 minute ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

. But now, it seems my stomach is at stake so I have no clue what to do. 

My substitute for coffee is Coca Cola to keep me awake but that is probably not good for your stomach either if you have to avoid coffee. 

• Haha 1

Ooo, I just thought of something. I have a relative who had to go off coffee, and the nurse at his doc's office who does patient education told him to use dark chocolate liberally. 75% cacao. It has flavonoids and magnesium that give a boost, a tiny bit of caffeine if memory serves, and due to the low sugar content, doesn't add a lot of calories or cause glucose to rise. Maybe that would help. I made him a batch of dark chocolate no bake cookies. Butter, quick oats, peanut butter, no subar, dark cacao, and a little milk to get the right consistency. There was enough sugar in the Skippy Natural creamy PB that it kept the dark cocoa from being bitter. He said they gave him a nice pick me up. Watch out though. I sent two dozen, and he ate them all in about 36 hours trying to make it through the first wave of awfulness. Still. Might be worth a try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went off caffeine and stayed off because of heartburn and reflux symptoms. I can have it occasionally, like once every two weeks, without any problems but it sets everything aflame more than that. The good thing is I really feel amazing when I do have just a little bit since I'm so sensitive to it now. I'm ready to do all the things and remember this is why people like it so much, lol.

I find traveling and camping to be much easier without the addiction. I don't have to pack extra things or worry about how to get my fix when away from the house. That part is nice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Obviously we all love our coffee here and I, too, am not trying to undermine your progress, but I have used Puroast coffee in the past (low acid) and liked it.   If this proves to be too difficult, consider it.   I've seen it at Kroger and Amazon.   💛

Oh! Yes, if acid is an issue, low acid coffee might be an answer! My allowed half-cup per day must be low acid, and I was skeptical about it making a difference. But it does.

Another one to try is Java Planet’s Guatemalan.  JP makes a decent roast, and even my coffee snob family agrees. Guatemala is a good source of low acid beans, because of their elevation, and shade grown is a plus. (I have learned way too much about low acid beans lately!) I have not tried their other roasts, but all are low acid. It’s on Amazon.

Low acid coffee might help your stomach issues.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

If it is the coffee and not the caffeine that is the problem for you: caffeine comes in pills which should allow you to keep caffeinated without the coffee

• Like 3

This sounds horrible.

If "acid" is the issue, I'd try cold-brew (as others have suggested).

If coffee is absolutely 100% out of the question, I'd do Yerba Maté.

Not everyone like the hay-like taste of maté, but I do. And it has a nice kick. Different brands from different countries in So. America taste different. My current favorite is Rosamonte Especia.

Tip: Never use boiling water to make maté (I think that mistake puts some people off it). Try 160-170 f.

Bill

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Ooo, I just thought of something. I have a relative who had to go off coffee, and the nurse at his doc's office who does patient education told him to use dark chocolate liberally. 75% cacao. It has flavonoids and magnesium that give a boost, a tiny bit of caffeine if memory serves, and due to the low sugar content, doesn't add a lot of calories or cause glucose to rise. Maybe that would help. I made him a batch of dark chocolate no bake cookies. Butter, quick oats, peanut butter, no subar, dark cacao, and a little milk to get the right consistency. There was enough sugar in the Skippy Natural creamy PB that it kept the dark cocoa from being bitter. He said they gave him a nice pick me up. Watch out though. I sent two dozen, and he ate them all in about 36 hours trying to make it through the first wave of awfulness. Still. Might be worth a try.

To get the equivalent amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee, you'd have to eat the entire 3.5 oz bar of dark chocolate. that's a lot of chocolate.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

There isn't enough green tea in China to fix what I'm feeling. Please send help. 

“Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.” 
 Isaac Asimov

ETA: Will this get better?

I actually vomited from withdrawal once. It gets better but I’ve quit and restarted six times. 🤦🏼‍♀️ 

• Sad 2

39 minutes ago, regentrude said:

To get the equivalent amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee, you'd have to eat the entire 3.5 oz bar of dark chocolate. that's a lot of chocolate.

I don't think the nurse recommended replacement, just kind of easing some of the symptoms. And she said that compounds in the chocolate that aren't caffeine give energy boots and assist with headaches, so treating symptoms without replacing caffeine.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Why not try English Breakfast Tea or other black tea it's a lot more similar to a cup of Joe than green tea but I've never heard of it hurting sensitive stomachs.

Yes! I love coffee and black tea! They both bring me joy. Green tea? Not so much.

Ann, how are the twins?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Yes! I love coffee and black tea! They both bring me joy. Green tea? Not so much.

Ann, how are the twins?

Me too.  I don't like coffee.  But I love black tea.  I went from caffeine free last year.  Don't miss regular at all.  I don't need or want the caffeine, just the warm cup.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Me too.  I don't like coffee.  But I love black tea.  I went from caffeine free last year.  Don't miss regular at all.  I don't need or want the caffeine, just the warm cup.

There really is something about that warm cup. I never would have believed it, but it’s true!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

And where's the problem? You make it sound like a daily dose of a robust serving of chocolate is a bad thing. 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, rebcoola said:

Why not try English Breakfast Tea or other black tea it's a lot more similar to a cup of Joe than green tea but I've never heard of it hurting sensitive stomachs.

Black tea has a laxative effect on me. OP can always try and see.

• Like 1

I was gifted a bag of mushroom ‘coffee’ that I am surprised by how much I am liking it. Adding in my normal flavored creamer and it tastes great to me without the acid, love the warm cup, and it has a rich creamy mouth texture like an expensive latte. 

• Like 1

Dh buys green beans and roasts them, so we like coffee here! But if I drink it in the afternoon, it keeps me up at night. I frequently have a cup of instant chickory with cream and a touch of sweetener in the afternoon, which is pleasant and coffee-like, but won't keep me up.

• Like 1

Feeling better today, @Ann.without.an.e?

I love coffee so much, but even tiny amounts of tea and coffee are problematic. I stupidly drank 1/2 a cup of my son’s Earl Grey tea and felt a horrible headache slowly build the next day. Coffee (chicory) alternatives are not low fodmap, but I have not yet personally tried it to see how I respond. So anything truly caffeine free either I can’t drink it or it tastes awful. 

I love tea and coffee more than anything, and I can’t drink it unless I pay dearly. 

Maybe you would like the Teecino? I just might try it …. out of desperation to find something that is actually pleasant to drink. Maybe I can drink a half cup. Only one way to find out. 

Also, I bought a new herbal tea yesterday. It’s Rishi blueberry hibiscus. We’ll see how that tastes. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Feeling better today, @Ann.without.an.e?

I love coffee so much, but even tiny amounts of tea and coffee are problematic. I stupidly drank 1/2 a cup of my son’s Earl Grey tea and felt a horrible headache slowly build the next day. Coffee (chicory) alternatives are not low fodmap, but I have not yet personally tried it to see how I respond. So anything truly caffeine free either I can’t drink it or it tastes awful. 

I love tea and coffee more than anything, and I can’t drink it unless I pay dearly. 

Maybe you would like the Teecino? I just might try it …. out of desperation to find something that is actually pleasant to drink. Maybe I can drink a half cup. Only one way to find out. 

Also, I bought a new herbal tea yesterday. It’s Rishi blueberry hibiscus. We’ll see how that tastes. 

I may be feeling a little better today than yesterday. I was definitely planning to cave today if there wasn't some improvement. Now, let's see if I can survive the weekend 🙂 

Rishi Blueberry sounds good 

21 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

I may be feeling a little better today than yesterday. I was definitely planning to cave today if there wasn't some improvement. Now, let's see if I can survive the weekend 🙂 

Rishi Blueberry sounds good 

It’s not. Just tried it. 

• Haha 2

Gosh, I feel like I should update.

I eat super super healthy and don't overeat and can never get the scale to budge. I'm down 5 pounds since switching from coffee to green tea. Hmmmm....did coffee itself just screw with my adrenals? Is that why I haven't been able to lose weight?

Also, I'm still alive and haven't caved.... yet. I may play this out longer and see where it goes. 

Edited to change the number, it was a typo. 

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

Gosh, I feel like I should update.

I eat super super healthy and don't overeat and can never get the scale to budge. I'm down 5 pounds since switching from coffee to green tea. Hmmmm....did coffee itself just screw with my adrenals? Is that why I haven't been able to lose weight?

Also, I'm still alive and haven't caved.... yet. I may play this out longer and see where it goes. 

Edited to change the number, it was a typo. 

OH wow.  Hmm

How much coffee do you drink compared to how much green tea?

Do you add other things to your coffee?

• Like 1