Menu

Colonoscopy at 45?

Ann.without.an.e

As a coming up b day gift my dr wants me to do a colonoscopy. Yay me. Y’all, I really don’t wanna. On a scale of 1-10, I’m sitting  at about a negative 100 (and about to cancel the screening) level. 

My grandfather did have colon cancer in his 50’s, yes. I get it. I also have his Native American genes (I guess it is higher risk somehow?). 

All I could think is … dang it, if they’re going to take into account my ancestry then we really should’ve used it on a college app somehow 😂.

Joking aside, how bad is it? I’d rather wait until at least 50. Is that reasonable?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just had one a couple of weeks ago, my second one. My first one was all clear. This one, they removed several polyps, which, thankfully, were not cancerous. I knew one sibling had had polyps removed, and I should have had my second colonoscopy several years ago. But I also just found out that another (younger) sibling has also had polyps removed. None cancerous yet for any of us, but the removal of the polyps is important to prevent that. It's not fun. For me, getting down the prep is worse than being in the bathroom all night. You are out for the actual procedure, so it is no big deal. Apparently, genetics is the (or one of the?) primary marker for colon cancer, so yes, I think you should go ahead and get it.

ETA: When I said, "It's not fun," I was referring to the prep. The actual polyp removal caused me no issues.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

As a coming up b day gift my dr wants me to do a colonoscopy. Yay me. Y’all, I really don’t wanna. On a scale of 1-10, I’m sitting  at about a negative 100 (and about to cancel the screening) level. 

My grandfather did have colon cancer in his 50’s, yes. I get it. I also have his Native American genes (I guess it is higher risk somehow?). 

All I could think is … dang it, if they’re going to take into account my ancestry then we really should’ve used it on a college app somehow 😂.

Joking aside, how bad is it? I’d rather wait until at least 50. Is that reasonable?

My mother was diagnosed with colon cancer at 50, so I was HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to have a colonoscopy done at 40.  Which I did, and they removed several polyps, and I had another one done three years later based on recommendation of the first one, and I'll have a third one done at 48.  Because colon cancer can be symptomless, and because colonoscopies can actually prevent it by removing the polyps, I think waiting till 50 is a really bad idea, given genetic history.  

The prep sucks, but it isn't horrific, and the procedure itself isn't a big deal at all.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I think the not knowing what to expect is worse than the actual procedure. I’ve had 2 so far and DH has had 3 or 4.

The worse part for me is the prep. It’s not like you will have pain once the prep starts working. You just need to be close to the bathroom for awhile.

The little sleep you get for the procedure is awesome 😁. Go home after, eat light at first, take a nap.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The colonoscopy procedure is no big deal at all. Easy peasy.

The prep is a hassle but usually not a big deal either.

The biggest hassle IMO is that between the prep the day before and the procedure you do lose a chunk of time. But that's a heckuva lot better than losing a huge chunk of your life.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I was so relieved when I got the lab work this week. And was quietly embarrassed that I hadn't gotten the earlier colonoscopy after knowing my sib had polyps. Because if they had been cancerous, it would have been largely my fault for letting it go when I knew I should have gotten it. And that would have been much more difficult and complicated than just getting the procedure done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I dreaded them for so many years before I turned 50.  The colonoscopy procedure is no big deal - pretty much a nice nap once they get a vein - but the prep is no fun.  I ended up having to do five preps in about 18 months due to intestinal twisting and most of those were extended preps up to 3 1/2 days.  Those were rough.  I'll never be able to eat green Jell-O again.

Good luck.  The tests are so important and definitely worth any discomfort.  Don't wait - you have a lot of people who love you and are counting on you being around for a long time.  ❤️ 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I've had more than I care to count. I've had Crohn's since age 3. I actually don't have much colon left so my procedures are usually without sedation due to them being literally 10 minutes. I could request it/they ask but I'm unfortunately familiar enough with the procedure that it would be a hassle at this point. 

I've been able to prep using natural calm (favorite) and miralax (2nd choice). The gallons of stuff are hard to get through IMO. 

• Like 4

Please do. Before the regulations changed to 45, one of our closest friends was diagnosed with colon cancer at 49. The treatment was horrific, and he went through hell for 10 months and passed away at 50. 

I went right at 45 - did the Dulcolax/Miralax prep, and it wasn't bad. There's not any stomach cramping or anything, it's very straightforward when you do go to the bathroom. Keep a book handy or something, and prepare to be in and out of the bathroom for 2-3 hours for both halves of the prep. (if you have the divided kind). I worried about being hungry during the fasting, but aside from a few hours early on, I really wasn't. The amount of liquid you have to drink keeps you from being hungry, I think.

The nurses and doctors are fabulous and understand that everyone feels awkward going to a colonoscopy. They put you under with very, very light sedation and what I call "the forgetty medicine," - which makes what you do remember like a dream. I had a scary abnormal result at 45, which led to me getting a second one 6 months later, which was thankfully normal. A good friend of mine went at 42 and had a 25 in pre-cancerous polyp removed. The medical staff let her know multiple times how lucky she was to come in even earlier than 45 (the only reason she did was our friend that died). 

After, you can go back to eating normally right away. They gave me juice in the recovery area, and I was able to head home right after we talked to the doctor after I woke up. No after-effects aside from being a bit sleepy that day. 

• Like 4

As to the prep work, my first procedure was overseas, and I only had the drink prep and no special diet other than no food the night before. This time, three days before I had to go on a low residue diet, then the day before, only clear liquids. Then I had two stages of the prep drink. I was supposed to drink 16 oz. in 30 minutes around 5:00, followed by 16 oz. of water. This was repeated again in the middle of the night. Besides that, I was supposed to drink more water/liquid until 2-3 hrs. before the procedure. The actual drink is thickish, and a weird combo of sweet and very salty. You sip on it, and I followed each sip with a sip of water, because that helped cut the intensity of it so I could keep it down. An hour or so after drinking it, the trips to the bathroom begin, and you get all cleaned out. Eventually, your poop becomes clear, like you are pooping water. That's what you want, anyway. I finally was able to get a couple of hours of sleep before going in to the clinic. The anesthesia puts you under, but it's quite pleasant actually; one minute I was awake, and then I was completely out. I was a big groggy for a little while afterward, but you have to have someone to drive you home, so I just went home and rested the rest of the day.

ETA: It's really just the drink part that is hard for me. That, and I wanted to eat things I wasn't supposed to while I was on the restrictions, lol.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 2

I've had 3 colonoscopies so far.  Like you, I was recommended to start in my 40s & have them every 5 years due to family history.

For me, it's no big deal at all.  Even the prep really does not bother me.  I mean, it's not painful - you just need to stay near the bathroom.  (I use the Gatorade prep - people say it's the most palatable.)

Word to the wise - make sure your provider clearly documents that you need this done for medical reasons.  My first colonoscopy, the insurance tried to deny it as an "elective" procedure, because I was under 50 and the billing folks didn't code it properly.  Like seriously - are there people who elect to get colonoscopies just for the fun of it?  😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

I lost a good friend to colon cancer last year. She put hers off. She really wanted everyone to know that they should do it. Please go do it.

I'm having my first one done next week, actually. At first the doctor advised that I could do the other thing with the sample, but then I had some other GI issues and the GI doc was like, nope, not anymore. So I guess I'm doing it. Sigh.

I'm dreading the prep part. Like, the diet is annoying but whatever, but I have a very strong gag reflex. I'm concerned that I won't get the stuff down at all.

• Like 6

I was really scared to get mine.  My dad had colon cancer so it was really important for me to get it done.  But the prep scared me ... not so much the volume of liquid, but the fasting part because I tend to get hypoglycemic when I fast.  But my husband urged me to just do it.  During the clear liquids part but before drinking the prep, I had jello and bone broth prepared. 

If you have to do the big drink, mixing it with lemon crystal light made it go down easier (that made my crunchy inner self cringe, but it did help.)  Other things were keeping the drink really cold and drinking through a straw and using timers to give benchmarks of how much I should drink by a certain time.   I think they say to be careful what color dyes you consume (gatorade, drink mix, jello) because it can interfere with evaluating the health of the tissue.   I set up to binge watch on my laptop and even set up a small table in the bathroom if I couldn't leave.  

Another thing that helped was diaper rash cream ... using it before you start emptying helps a ton as far as keeping you from getting raw from frequent bowel movements.  

• Like 3

I've had many - due to family history on both sides. 
Prep isn't fun, but it generally is better now than it was 20 years ago. 
My doctor lets me pick sedation - either sleep thru procedure and then wake up and be alert the rest of the day, or heavily and wake up enough to go home and sleep thru pretty much the rest of the day. 

Colon cancer isn't fun, so I vote the temporary discomfort of the prep is worth it. You are setting a good example to your children to take preventative medicine seriously. 

• Like 4

I've had 6 colonoscopies. It probably worked in my favor that before the first one I was in a lot of pain and quite desperate, and the colonoscopy was ordered and carried out very quickly before I had time to get nervous about it.

That first one showed me that they really aren't that bad - annoying and inconvenient, but not scary or painful. And, as others have said, you get a glorious nap out of the deal.

• Like 2

My grandma had colon cancer in her 40’s, my siblings and I were recommended to start having colonoscopies at 40, 2 of us had polyps removed. I had to have a follow-up 3 years later and that was clear so now I’m on an every 5 year plan.

The prep is really not that bad, it’s a day (evening really) of discomfort. Then you have anesthesia during the procedure. A barium enema is WAY worse. 

For what it’s worth, last week my husband found out a 35 year old coworker with no family history has colon cancer. It has possibly already spread to his lung, please don’t put it off. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JennyD said:

I have been wondering about this, too (I'm 50).  Am contemplating doing the Cologuard thing.  I don't really have a PCP, but it looks like there's a telehealth option for getting the prescription.  

I think a potential downside to doing the Colorguard thing is that if anything not great turns up that requires a follow up colonoscopy, the colonoscopy is coded as diagnostic rather than routine, and the percentage covered by insurance goes WAY down.

• Like 4

Just now, Terabith said:

I think a potential downside to doing the Colorguard thing is that if anything not great turns up that requires a follow up colonoscopy, the colonoscopy is coded as diagnostic rather than routine, and the percentage covered by insurance goes WAY down.

Yes, I have read that it isn't as accurate. Whereas if you get the colonoscopy, by the time you know anything, the polyps are already removed. 

12 minutes ago, JennyD said:

I have been wondering about this, too (I'm 50).  Am contemplating doing the Cologuard thing.  I don't really have a PCP, but it looks like there's a telehealth option for getting the prescription.  

If you are already 50, then imo, you should go for the colonoscopy. Just get it taken care of.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, JennyD said:

I have known more than one person who did Cologuard and then had to follow up with a colonoscopy, at their insurance's normal non-preventative rate, after. The ColoGuard also misses things. I would  (and did) just do the preventative colonoscopy. 

OP, I did the drink a gallon prep. I was ok the night before, but the morning of I was pretty nauseated while drinking the 2nd half. I had to go very slowly to keep it down. My husband did a colonoscopy after me with the ducolax/miralax the night before. It was much easier going down for sure. He said "not too bad" when I asked just now. 

Either way, the most annoying part is just having to spend an evening (or evening and next morning with my prep) with frequent bathrooming. Both my husband and I slept fine the night before the colonoscopy. I do agree with the advice to pre-protect before it all starts with a cream. 

The procedure itself is easy..a nap.  

I, and my husband, felt really glad we did the colonoscopy route. We go back in 10 years. My sister and my husband's brother are on 5 year plans due to polyp removals. Especially with your family history, it may well save your life. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Yes, I have read that it isn't as accurate. Whereas if you get the colonoscopy, by the time you know anything, the polyps are already removed. 

If you are already 50, then imo, you should go for the colonoscopy. Just get it taken care of.

You're probably right, but first I have to find a PCP who is taking new patients and get an appointment, at which point i can get a prescription for the colonoscopy.  Realistically, the choice is Cologuard now or colonoscopy in many months.

And I was feeling so pleased with myself for finally getting a mammogram last year!  

This medical stuff is not my forte.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JennyD said:

You're probably right, but first I have to find a PCP who is taking new patients and get an appointment, at which point i can get a prescription for the colonoscopy.  Realistically, the choice is Cologuard now or colonoscopy in many months.

And I was feeling so pleased with myself for finally getting a mammogram last year!  

You might check directly with an endoscopy clinic and see if you have to be referred or if they can make an appointment without a PCP.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

You might check directly with an endoscopy clinic and see if you have to be referred or if they can make an appointment without a PCP.

The big hospital near me requires a prescription.  I can look and see if there are other options in town.  DH had a good suggestion for me about how to find a new PCP, though, so maybe I'll finally do that.  

38 minutes ago, JennyD said:

My gynecologist ordered mine. If you have some regular care giver like that, you might get a referral that way. My husband's colonoscopy was ordered by a nurse practioner. If your community has nurse practioners, they are often much easier to get into quickly. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, JennyD said:

The big hospital near me requires a prescription.  I can look and see if there are other options in town.  DH had a good suggestion for me about how to find a new PCP, though, so maybe I'll finally do that.  

Yeah, you do probably need a new PCP just because. But fyi, I have read that the specialty clinics are less expensive than the hospitals. I went to a clinic because that is where I was referred, but read later that they are generally a lot cheaper because they are an ambulatory surgical center, and don't have the overhead of a hospital. I'm thinking with mine that you can make an appointment directly with the clinic. It's a gastroenterology associates practice in conjunction with an endoscopy clinic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had my first at 45, not a big deal.  I made it easier on myself by changing my diet the week before, going to soft foods, then full liquids, and that made my prep very quick (Miralax/Dulcolax). My DH had his at 50 without any of the changes to his diet and did equally well, with a bit more bathroom time, same prep.  My BIL was just found to have precancerous polyps on his, so I vote with just do it.  It's not worth the risk, imho.

• Like 2

Do it. 

I’ve had several, as there’s a family history. It is easier now - way easier - than it was when I had my first 20+ years ago. It’s not fun, but it’s important. 

I have three female friends (totally unrelated) who  were diagnosed with colon cancer before age 50. All had surgery and  chemo. Two, both diagnosed in their 40’s, recovered; one fully and fairly easily, and the other after a long and  and painful course of treatment. The third, diagnosed mid/late 30’s, is in the third year of a really hard battle. The cancer was advanced when first discovered and the first surgery involved excising the colon tumor, half her liver and her gall bladder. Multiple surgeries, continuing treatment with the goal to extend life a few more years (her cancer is quite aggressive). She is an amazing woman, fighting with all that is in her to be with her children and husband as long as possible.

Colon cancer, caught early, is considered one of the most treatable cancers. So, for yourself and for your family, just do it. 

https://amp.miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/article1928847.html

(Eta my post is not funny, but the linked article is humor)

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

went right at 45 - did the Dulcolax/Miralax prep, and it wasn't bad. There's not any stomach cramping or anything, it's very straightforward when you do go to the bathroom. Keep a book handy or something, and prepare to be in and out of the bathroom for 2-3 hours for both halves of the prep. (if you have the divided kind). I worried about being hungry during the fasting, but aside from a few hours early on, I really wasn't. The amount of liquid you have to drink keeps you from being hungry, I think.

The nurses and doctors are fabulous and understand that everyone feels awkward going to a colonoscopy. They put you under with very, very light sedation and what I call "the forgetty medicine," - which makes what you do remember like a dream

These are the details THIS 45yo needs to hear!

• Like 3

I have one coming up soon. The thing that makes me most apprehensive (besides gagging down a repulsive drink) is the drugs they give to sedate--is it really necessary to be put out? My body does not tolerate heavy drugs, and I'm having a hard time understanding if they are truly necessary. Is the procedure really much of a bigger deal than an annual gynecological exam? 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I have one up soon. The thing that makes me most apprehensive (besides gagging down a repulsive drink) is the drugs they give to sedate--is it really necessary to be put out? My body does not tolerate heavy drugs, and I'm having a hard time understanding if they are truly necessary. Is the procedure really much of a bigger deal than an annual gynecological exam? 

FWIW--I always have a hard time with general anesthesia, but a colonoscopy (or endoscopy) has never been a problem. A few minutes of grogginess, of desperately wanting to continue the most wonderful nap, and then I'm okay. But I have heard of people having a colonoscopy w/o any sedation, so it is something you could discuss at your pre-procedure appointment.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

I have one coming up soon. The thing that makes me most apprehensive (besides gagging down a repulsive drink) is the drugs they give to sedate--is it really necessary to be put out? My body does not tolerate heavy drugs, and I'm having a hard time understanding if they are truly necessary. Is the procedure really much of a bigger deal than an annual gynecological exam? 

Basically there are 3 options.  No sedation, full sedation, and "twilight sleep."

I was not told about the "no sedation" option.  When I expressed the concerns you mention above, I was told about "twilight sleep," so I chose that for my first colonoscopy.

The problem with "twilight sleep" was that I apparently responded to discomfort during the procedure (though I had no recollection of this).  They aborted the procedure.  I ended up being charged for a colonoscopy that never got done ... and advised to come back for another one.

(Why would I have had discomfort?  I assume it is an inherited issue, as my mom and some of her relatives have some kind of twisting in the colon ... I don't know the clinical explanation, but it's not an issue most people will have.)

The next two times, I directed them to just knock me the heck out.  I want the colonoscopy to get done.  I didn't end up having any reactions to the knockout drugs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

FWIW--I always have a hard time with general anesthesia, but a colonoscopy (or endoscopy) has never been a problem. A few minutes of grogginess, of desperately wanting to continue the most wonderful nap, and then I'm okay. But I have heard of people having a colonoscopy w/o any sedation, so it is something you could discuss at your pre-procedure appointment.

Thanks--I'll be sure to ask. 
I spent two days throwing up from the medications I was given for my hysterectomy and I'm not looking forward to a repeat! 

I did mine last year at 45. It was dreadful… Not the actual procedure, but the prep. We were dress shopping for formal that day so I got started on the prep late. The prep was… incomplete. 👿 I get a do over this year. 

OTOH, a friend from high school found out she had stage 4 colon cancer a couple years ago. She’s 47. So it motivated me to just do it. The actual procedure was nothing. I don’t remember a bit. 

I don't know what they gave me, but it wasn't like what I have had for surgeries. I was a little bit groggy this time, but not that heavy grogginess that takes hours to clear. I did nap later because I hadn't slept much the night before. No nausea at all. It was like waking up from the most delicious sleep ever.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Thanks--I'll be sure to ask. 
I spent two days throwing up from the medications I was given for my hysterectomy and I'm not looking forward to a repeat! 

Yes, that's my problem after general anesthesia. Even when I'm supposedly given something in my IV pre-op to counteract the nausea, I still get horribly sick. I've had two colonoscopies and an endoscopy and none of them have been a problem, other than wanting to continue the glorious nap.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I saw that there is now a pill form of the prep that is supposed to be as effective (I saw it after my colonoscopy). You still have to drink lots of water/liquid with it, but it isn't like the prep drink. I will definitely ask about it before my next one.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Oh, I saw that there is now a pill form of the prep that is supposed to be as effective (I saw it after my colonoscopy). You still have to drink lots of water/liquid with it, but it isn't like the prep drink. I will definitely ask about it before my next one.

Good to know! 

4 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

I'm going to ask about it, too. I'm on the five year plan and I think I'm due this year. I've only ever had to do the Gatorade/Miralax/magnesium citrate prep, so I don't know if that's better or worse than other kinds. But I think I'd be willing to pay OOP for a pill if it's easier and not hugely expensive.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

Former endoscopy nurse here ---- get it done. Prep is the worst part, and the procedure is a piece of cake. 
When I was in endo, one of our doctors was leading a push for changing the standards for a screening colonoscopy to 40, rather than 50, as he was seeing folks with colon cancer in their 40s. 

I wouldn't wait, honestly. (had mine at age 41) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

I've had a sigmoidoscopy unsedated.  At the time I had it, I was young and ignorant so didn't know what to expect t.  It was quite uncomfortable but I survived it without much emotional/mental trauma. It involved A LOT of pressure.   However, if I had to do it again, I'd know to dread it and be quite apprehensive.  I'd definitely go for the sedated version (I usually do twilight sleep) if at all possible.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1