Menu

Do you have a reading plan for 2023

lovinmyboys

I’m always interested in reading challenges (popsugar, 5x5, lit life, etc). I often choose books for the challenges this time of year, but then only read a couple because I am such a mood reader. I also over shoot and put way more books on my list than I will actually read. I should probably spend the time I plan my reading just actually reading :).

I think I would like to read more widely and more classic books this year because I am in a season of life where that is possible, but I usually end up gravitating to the books getting the buzz.

Are you participating in any reading challenges? Do you ever actually complete the challenge?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, alysee said:

I usually just pick an amount of books to read because I am quite picky. I have overshot this year because of the new baby but I usually can finish 25-30 books and I've only read half of that this year. 

My goal this year was 36 and I am on my 36th book now. Next year I am going to try to hit 40- but when I make a list I think I will somehow start reading 200 books a year.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Yep, I have a great reading plan. I affectionately refer to it as The Stack Next To The Bed. 😉

😂

Lol mine for 2023 is similar. The theme must be My Own Shelves First!

I’ve accumulated a number of  recommended nonfiction titles that I want to go through, and will intersperse that with fiction that I either have on hand and haven’t read, or I’ll probably reread some classics I haven’t been through in a while (like some Twain, and Frankenstein, and The Count of Monte Christo that I had to lay aside unfinished when it was the group BAW read). 

• Like 5

Currently, my only "plan" for next year is to try to read more than I did this year. I used to read between 75 and 90 books most years, but I really hit a slump a few years ago. This year, I was aiming for 50, and I'm currently on number 55 (mostly audiobooks, to be completely transparent). So, I'd like to hit 60 next year. 

Because I do so much prescribed reading for work and school, I generally let myself lean into fluffy and relaxing for my personal reading. 

The only challenge I set for myself this year, aside from quantity, was that I wanted to re-read all of the full-length novels in the Parasolverse in story-chronological order. (I haven't enjoyed any of the short stories or spin-off novellas, so I left them out.) I'm finishing Reticence now. 

I may do something similar next year, pick a series or author to read or re-read straight through. Thus far, I haven't felt inspired, but I like the general idea.

• Like 4

Just now, Tanaqui said:

Yeah, I do, but I don't think my plan is very helpful to you. It's basically "Read what I want to read, when I want to read it, try to remember that it's not a good thing to be a completionist if it's not making you happy"

I think that is basically my reading plan as well. I just like to talk about more specific plans, plan a more detailed reading journey, and pretend that I am not going to just read whatever I want to read next at the moment. And I like hearing about how other people plan their reading too. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, strawberries said:

I'll be doing the Popsugar challenge again. I've attempted it every year since 2015; the only year I actually completed it was 2019! There are always just too many other books I want to read. 

I tried the Popsugar one a few years ago and didn't get far. The prompts on the 2023 challenge look do-able, though. I printed it out. We'll see how far I get.

• Like 3

I'm also intending to read at least one book I actually own. 😛

Continuing with my round the world challenge, and my Agatha Christie challenge.

I listened to audiobooks off Librivox when I'm trying to fall asleep, so I get through a few classics that way. These are great in case I ever go through another listchallenges.com book list binge.

There seems to be an unofficial boring books challenge in my head. This coming year had better include the miserably thick book on Australian pottery from the first half of the 20th century, my neighbour lent me maybe three years ago? I'm sure it will be improving. Can it be a less pleasant experience than 'Clarissa,' which I read this year to see if I could? The things I do to impress myself...

I used to just read what I want to read then at the end of each year I noticed there were so many books on my TBR list I never got to. That's when I started making reading plans. I always keep it light and leave room for reading other books that weren't on my radar or that happen to fit my reading mood at the time. I've been in an IRL book club for many years so I make sure I leave reading time for the book club book each month.

I'm still deciding on my 2023 plans. This year I did an Alphabet Soup challenge. It differs from many A to Z challenges in that you don't have to read books in alphabetical order. Much like the alphabet soup some of us remember from childhood you might get a mix of letters in each spoonful. So, you do read books with titles from A to Z but in any order you want. There's also one for authors A to Z. I won't repeat the titles but might do the authors next year.

https://www.escapewithdollycas.com/2022-reading-challenges/2022-alphabet-soup-reading-challenge/

I started in 2018 or 2019 with this Shakespeare in a Year challenge to read all of his works but I got sidetracked. I changed the title for myself to Personal Shakespeare Challenge. I'm still following the order and amount to read per day but I don't read Shakespeare every day so it's taking me several years to get through it. I thought I'd finish this year but didn't and am hoping to finally be done in 2023. This link is to a pdf from the 2021 schedule but you get the idea. 

https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Shakespeare-in-a-Year-2021.pdf

Some years I just follow my tbr and pick a book on that list. Some years I try to add more women authors. authors of color, or translated works. Some years I've decided on a number of classics to read while leaving the titles open so I could decide based on mood which classic book or classic author I want to read. 

I don't ever need to be challenged to read more. I read all the time - to me reading is breathing. I do need to be challenged to read more widely so those are the challenges I look for. I used to think having a reading plan would stifle me but since I started planning I've found it's actually freeing. Then again, I'm the kind of reader who would not worry if I didn't meet all or even any of my challenges. They're there to guide me when I don't know what to read next, not to box me in. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lovinmyboys said:

Are you participating in any reading challenges? Do you ever actually complete the challenge?

My plan is to do another 52 Books Bingo, read more nonfiction, as well as do another 10 x 10 all from my TBR virtual and physical stacks, quite a few which are dusty and/or chunky while extending my ban buying through the first half of the year.   

My 10 x 10 categories are 

1001 Books Before You Die 
Baby It's Cold Outside 
Books about Books 
It's a Crime
Flights of Fantasy 
Tales of the Past 
Literary
Magical Realism
What a Mystery 
Thrills and Chills 

Plus I'm enamored with the Queen Consort's The Reading Room where she talks about books, books, and more books. She picks four books a season which I think is a quarter and has a readalong with background and historical videos by the author. Her choices are rather eclectic and it was just announced on Instagram the next season will start on Jan 13th and includes Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, Mrs 'Harris Goes To Paris by Paul Gallico. The Far Pavilions by M. M. Kaye, and Great Circle by Maggie Shipstead. Which I just happen to have in my TBR pile.

Yes, I usually complete the challenges I set for myself.  Other challenges I manage to go off the rails somewhere  because I'm a mood reader and follow a lot of rabbit holes, so don't attempt them anymore. 
1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I don't ever need to be challenged to read more. I read all the time - to me reading is breathing.

Same here. I get cranky without my books. 

• Like 4

I read books for book club, stuff that strikes my fancy and then also my own challenge.

My own challenge consists of these categories: a book published before I was born, a book published in the last five years, a book I received as a gift, a book recommended by ( ), a book I've read before, and a recipe or craft book plus complete six recipes/projects.

• Like 4

I often use The Literary Life podcast’s challenge as a jumping off point, a framework. Having a challenge list written by someone else helps me stretch and read outside my default paths. 

eta: Their 2023 challenge is up. Looks fun. Bingo style.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I'm also intending to read at least one book I actually own. 😛

I have this problem, as well, because I always read library books first. As soon as I get those done, another batch of holds have come in so I read those, and on and on and on. So I think I'm going to make that my challenge for the new year too. Maybe one per month? Request fewer holds? I dunno but my bedside stacks (yes, stacks) is growing out of control. Time to take control back.

• Like 2

I just pick a number for the year and then read what I want to read.  Somehow the lists and challenges make it feel like homework/a chore.  Reading, for me, is fun, a release of stress, and something that I enjoy.  I won't let anything spoil that for me so I stick to the books that I want to read.  Now, one thing I am concentrating on now is reading the books I already own before buying anymore.    I keep up with the books/number on Goodreads and always aim my number for the year a bit lower than I hope to read so that, again, it doesn't become a chore.   When I go over the number (which I always have) then I am super happy.    Life is hard, books/reading shouldn't be.

• Like 1

I don't have a plan, but maybe I should.  😛  Then again, maybe I shouldn't, because I would probably fail and then be down on myself.  😛

How much I read depends on whether it's fiction or nonfiction (I read fiction wayyyy faster but also less often), and also, whether or not my kids are interested in hearing an audiobook in the car.

I have some books I've bought long ago that I should finish.  I also have some that I might want to re-read.  That's about the extent of my reading plan for 2023.

The reason I like having a personal challenge is that it gives me a short list for times I have no idea what to read next.  It also helps me get through books that I've been given or had recommended so I can finally get back to the person who gave it or suggested it!

I don't do it for the year it's just a list and when I finish I make another list.  Sometimes I finish it quickly and other times very slowly 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I have this problem, as well, because I always read library books first. As soon as I get those done, another batch of holds have come in so I read those, and on and on and on. So I think I'm going to make that my challenge for the new year too. Maybe one per month? Request fewer holds? I dunno but my bedside stacks (yes, stacks) is growing out of control. Time to take control back.

This has happened to me, too, but then I discovered that my library’s app has a feature called the “For Later” shelf. That’s where I can put titles that I want to read but don’t want to overload my hold list. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Our state's interlibrary loan contract is up for renegotiation so no on knows when the service will resume. I don't think I'm going to have any *choice* about reading books I actually own, so ya know, don't be inspired by my virtue coz it doesn't really exist. 😛

On 12/12/2022 at 5:40 PM, Lady Florida. said:

I don't ever need to be challenged to read more. I read all the time - to me reading is breathing. I do need to be challenged to read more widely so those are the challenges I look for.

This is definitely me.  I always have a book going but the past few years (except covid) have been super busy with my business, which uses a lot of mental energy and time, so I've mainly been reading fairly easy books.  Either light, fluffy romance or dystopian.  Things that are pretty easy to put down when I have to do other things and pick up again without a problem.   I checked my kindle unlimited list and I evidently read 208 books from there, plus a bunch from my library and quantity is definitely NOT the problem.   

I'm going to take a look at the Popsugar challenge, but I love the idea of the alphabet soup challenge.   

• Like 2

On 12/12/2022 at 4:22 PM, happi duck said:

I read books for book club, stuff that strikes my fancy and then also my own challenge.

My own challenge consists of these categories: a book published before I was born, a book published in the last five years, a book I received as a gift, a book recommended by ( ), a book I've read before, and a recipe or craft book plus complete six recipes/projects.

The Challenge I do has categories similar to the ones you listed. I love doing it that way because it helps me branch out.  Mine also has: book by an author not living, novel set in a country not your own, book that won an award, etc. and then of course “book of your choice”, which I make liberal use of. This year I added the category, “Depressing book”. 😂

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KrissiK said:

The Challenge I do has categories similar to the ones you listed. I love doing it that way because it helps me branch out.  Mine also has: book by an author not living, novel set in a country not your own, book that won an award, etc. and then of course “book of your choice”, which I make liberal use of. This year I added the category, “Depressing book”. 😂

Well, that's easy. Just pick out anything Oprah likes.

• Haha 4

On 12/12/2022 at 4:21 PM, lovinmyboys said:

My goal this year was 36 and I am on my 36th book now. Next year I am going to try to hit 40- but when I make a list I think I will somehow start reading 200 books a year.

This is kind of what happened to me - the first year I started making lists and challenges I hoped to get to 25, and that seemed like a big stretch, and then I somehow hit about 5x that many! It probably helped that that was about the same time all my kids were launched and I suddenly had more time on my hands and a need to use my brain somehow.  I settled down a bit after that, but I'm still averaging over 100 books/year (okay, I've never come close to 200!)

I mainly try to read from various categories (also something like a 10x10, overlap allowed), and I do Alphabet Soup (pretty much takes care of itself outside of Q, X and Z...), and I've been doing a multi-year Read the World project, where I try to read a book from each country in the world (for me, it has to be written by someone from that country, not just set there). To be fun for me, a challenge has to stretch me a wee bit but also be easy to achieve without stress!  So, I like to set a low bar, LOL.

6 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

This is kind of what happened to me - the first year I started making lists and challenges I hoped to get to 25, and that seemed like a big stretch, and then I somehow hit about 5x that many! It probably helped that that was about the same time all my kids were launched and I suddenly had more time on my hands and a need to use my brain somehow.  I settled down a bit after that, but I'm still averaging over 100 books/year (okay, I've never come close to 200!)

I mainly try to read from various categories (also something like a 10x10, overlap allowed), and I do Alphabet Soup (pretty much takes care of itself outside of Q, X and Z...), and I've been doing a multi-year Read the World project, where I try to read a book from each country in the world (for me, it has to be written by someone from that country, not just set there). To be fun for me, a challenge has to stretch me a wee bit but also be easy to achieve without stress!  So, I like to set a low bar, LOL.

I treat myself the way I managed my children’s reading lists when we were actively home educating, scanning periodically to make sure there was a balance of fiction and non-fiction, prose and poetry, representatives from various genres. I do have certain categories that are my preferences, and the list will be heavy with that, but I do check to make sure other categories are represented.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

I treat myself the way I managed my children’s reading lists when we were actively home educating, scanning periodically to make sure there was a balance of fiction and non-fiction, prose and poetry, representatives from various genres. I do have certain categories that are my preferences, and the list will be heavy with that, but I do check to make sure other categories are represented.

Lol, I think there may be some of that with me - this is how I don’t miss all the homeschool planning and list-making I used to do!  Homeschooling myself now!  I'm also someone who reads (mostly) to challenge themselves and learn new things rather than someone who reads to relax or escape - for that I watch mindless/fun TV and waste more time than I should scrolling around the internet. 😅

• Like 3

No particular plan. I always have a few books on my bedside table - all books that I've read before. I read a few pages each night to help me get to sleep or get back to sleep. It's a great way to stop the voices in my head that keep me awake. 

I actually don't seek out new and interesting books because once I start reading I just keep reading until I'm done - which usually mean all night. Maybe when I'm not working and it doesn't matter if I read all night, I'll seek out exciting new books to read. 😉 

On 12/12/2022 at 3:57 PM, lovinmyboys said:

I’m always interested in reading challenges (popsugar, 5x5, lit life, etc). I often choose books for the challenges this time of year, but then only read a couple because I am such a mood reader. I also over shoot and put way more books on my list than I will actually read. I should probably spend the time I plan my reading just actually reading :).

I think I would like to read more widely and more classic books this year because I am in a season of life where that is possible, but I usually end up gravitating to the books getting the buzz.

My book club will do something like this, but we’ll cheat and try to make 4-5 items apply to a single book. We just finished a list like this last weekend for 2023. It was great fun, but we can’t coordinate more than one book a month. 

image.thumb.jpeg.fe4147d46601b5c6c473f4cf6dc48ae1.jpeg

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

My plan is leaning more toward informational reading than recreational. I have subscribed to Mother Earth News, and have a small stack of gardening, agricultural, and sustainable/green food production books to wade through. Our writer in the family has a new book coming out in 2023 so I will hit that, and it is a factual history title so I am sure I will be learning new things, plus he is putting out a genealogy, family history book that I will definitely be reading as well as some poetry.

I have a book by Scott Kelly that we have had for four years, and I still have not read so it is on my list to actually tackle. Mark wants me to read it aloud for him, something he loves to have me do on road trips, so I told him to get the road trip planned that will be long enough to complete the book on vacation. I don't want to be in the middle of it, get home, and then not get back to it which is a real possibility because we have so many projects to work on in the evenings and on weekends in the coming year as well as a commitment to several kayak trips, and to do more sailing. If my voice held out for four - six hours of reading per day, I could probably get the book done in a trip to Colorado and back to see his aunt and cousins. Otherwise, it is waiting to 2024. We have a Michigan university that has brought us on board to mentor their new rocketry program, and we are taking them through HPR Level 1 licensing this year and Student Launch for now. In 2023/24 , they are going to compete in IREC, and we will be road tripping to White Sands, NM. 29 hours of driving each way, and since it is a college team of adults, we have no chaperone duties so we can drive alone. Pretty sure if Mark does the driving, I can complete that autobiography on the way out there!

• Like 1

For Christmas last year, SIL gave me a "Top 100 books scratch off poster" -- something like this, but not this exact one https://www.amazon.com/100-Books-Scratch-Poster-Scratcher/dp/B08MZ61JF5/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?crid=17SB11Y3V5NGD&keywords=top+100+books+poster+scratch+off&qid=1671207973&sprefix=top+100+books+poster%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-17-spons&psc=1&smid=A1YOICC3UKV7O0&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE3Vk01UThROVhYT1AmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5MzI3NTAxS09TNlQ5R0lKSUpBJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwODE5MTNZN0tZNVVWUzA1Tkgmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I have about 2/3 of it completed and plan to finish it this next year. I'm rereading things from the poster that I have read in the past, before scratching them off. But I don't just read for the poster. I read a ton of other things, mostly audiobooks. I love to listen to book podcasts and add many titles to my personal list that way. My favorite genre is mystery/ police procedural, and I have favorite authors that I will automatically read when they publish a new one. I did a couple of small book challenges last year, and I found that I prefer to just read what I want.