Menu

Make up

DawnM

I have used a variety of brands including Mary Kay and Boom.   I had some mineral make up that you would customize and I liked it but I have no idea the brand and have no more left.

Just curious what you like/use/are staples?

I pulled all my make up from varying places and put them together and tossed the old old stuff and am going to use some of what I have.

I really, really need eye shadow for women over 50.

I also wonder what is in the mascara that makes your eyelashes look longer and fuller?   Anyone know?  I literally have no eyelashes to speak of.   My eyebrows are pretty much gone too.   Sigh.

• Like 2

Eyebrows: https://www.sephora.com/product/P409239

Mascara: https://www.sephora.com/product/lights-camera-lashes-P111902?skuId=862417&icid2=products grid:p111902:product

Now that I have fine lines, I have to wear a primer and use a liquid foundation or I have too much makeup settling into my lines. I have very sensitive skin, so I use Bare Minerals or IT Cosmetics CC+ cream for foundation. I don’t always wear foundation though.

For eyeshadow, if you have settling and creasing, I would use a primer and then shadow.

https://www.sephora.com/product/eyeshadow-primer-potion-anti-aging-P381306?skuId=1704410&icid2=products grid:p381306:product

https://www.sephora.com/product/urban-decay-naked-3-mini-eyeshadow-palette-P474380?skuId=2482339&icid2=products grid:p474380:product

• Like 2

The only eyeshadow my mom ever loved over 50 is one I love too. Charlotte Tilbury’s Eyes to Mesmerize in Oyster Pearl. It’s simple and gorgeous. 

I also like Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz because it’s a better color match than other brands and that slim pencil gives me better control. 

For eyeshadows like the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette. I also recently bought some Bobbi Brown cream eyeshadow sticks that are great for older eyes since they are not powder. 

My favorite mascara is the IT cosmetics Superhero. Next is Eyeko Beach, if I need waterproof. I've been using Thrive Liquid Lash Extensions and I really like the tubing technology because there's no flaking and very easy to remove.

For eyebrows I use the Benefit Precisely, My Brow pencil. Love it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The IT Precisely pencil mentioned above is nice, but I had to upgrade to the IT Gimme Brow once I had lost more than 1/3 of my natural brow hairs. The Gimme Brow gives you fuller more natural coverage. The pencil is great for fill ins.

Yes, that is great, too!

3 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

One thing to add: As I’ve gotten older I can’t just put makeup on and expect it to look great. Skin care and prepping the skin are super important for me now.

This is really important, and staying hydrated makes a big difference for me, too.

Agreeing with what was said above about a primer. If you need all-day wear for foundation, it makes a big difference. I like Smashbox’s. 

I used powdered mineral foundation for years and still do for light coverage days, but a setting spray is necessary for me. For really doing a full face makeup, I’ve bitten the bullet and started using Lancôme liquid foundation. Great coverage and it doesn’t feel heavy on my skin. 

Listening here for eye makeup ideas, I’ve been in a product rut for a while for those items. For mascara and eyebrow pencil I’ve been using elf brand items because they contain less product, which means they run out faster and with regular replacement I know the product going on my eye area is less likely to be contaminated. Side benefit of elf is lower cost. It is definitely not a high-end brand!

I’m seriously considering micro blading for my eyebrows as they get lighter every year. If any of you have done something permanent-ish for your brows, do tell. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 1

I also like Urban Decay eyeshadows. I have an eyebrow powder by Anastasia and a tool with a wedged brush on one end and an eyebrow comb on the other. I like this much better than a pencil because it fills in the spaces but looks natural. 

I also recommend shaving your face or, at least, buying the micro blade tools for shaving female faces. Most women seem to get furrier after 50 and if makeup rests on the fuzzy hairs instead of the smooth skin, it does not look as good. 

• Like 2

The only products I love enough to recommend are L’Oréal eyelash primer, Urban Decay Perversion mascara (yeah, that’s the name) and Revlon Colorstay micro hyper precision gel eyeliner. I hate liquid eyeliner, but I can’t dealwith pencil liner anymore. Gel is a fantastic compromise.

I have this foundation  by Anastasia and I love it. It is light but has good coverage. I also love this concealer by Nars. I'm not 50 but I have a neutral  eye shadow set that I also really love by Two Faced. It is similar to this one but has a few more colors.   Correction - I have this one   it's matte, not sparkly. 

Edited by kristin0713

A while back I started this thread about mascara. 

I tried many of the mascaras that were recommended in that thread, and they all really did work as far as making my skimpy eyelashes look longer and fuller. But the BIGGEST takeaway (and I would not have believed it if I wasn’t trying to systematically find the best mascara and taking pics every day of the various mascaras) is that PRIMER makes all the difference! Truly! I know if you’re like me, you want a simple routine, so two products for the lashes seems ridiculous. I use L’Oreal Voluminous primer. Try your current mascara with it, and without it. Take pics. You’ll see a difference. 

50 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I tried many of the mascaras that were recommended in that thread, and they all really did work as far as making my skimpy eyelashes look longer and fuller. But the BIGGEST takeaway (and I would not have believed it if I wasn’t trying to systematically find the best mascara and taking pics every day of the various mascaras) is that PRIMER makes all the difference! Truly! I know if you’re like me, you want a simple routine, so two products for the lashes seems ridiculous. I use L’Oreal Voluminous primer. Try your current mascara with it, and without it. Take pics. You’ll see a difference. 

I tried that primer (and a couple others) because of that thread and it literally did nothing (none of them helped). I wonder why it works for some people and not others? I did apply it according to directions. 

1 hour ago, Amethyst said:

The L'Oreal mascara primer works well. People asked me if I wore falsies.

• Like 1

Not sure why the primer did not help....

You might want to try an eyelash growth serum. I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NDN3R9P/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1LCI3HEEI5GWJ&psc=1  But you might need to experiment. I have had people ask me if I am wearing false eyelashes. 

I also put collagen in my coffee - but that is also to help with an autoimmune disorder but is also great for my hair and skin. 

• Like 1

I don't know anything, so why do I respond to such threads?

And I have a strong aversion to tattoos. Don't hate me, it's just me being honest about something I'm going to recommend (with a caveat).

My mom's eyebrows were gone towards the end of her life (91-92).

In her last year or so of life she came to live with me. My mother was a very beautiful woman, even in her late age. She wasn't overly-vain, but she like to look good and the lack of eyebrows was an issue for her. I started doing them for her and researched different products and techniques. Watched YouTube videos, etc.

I'd rate my eyebrow painting a "meh." She appreciated it, but...

Then my sister-in-law, who had her own eyebrows done, recommended a place in LA's Koreatown that tattoos eyebrows on.

I was "horrified" by the idea, to be frank. I imagined a full-time What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? look coming out of this.

I put up considerable resistance. But finally folded. I remained worried. Really worried.

SIL took Mom and got it done.

Could have knocked me over with a feather afterward. Looked great. Mom was fair and they picked a great color, and her "eyebrows" looked natural. Mom was very happy.

I told my Mom and SIL that it was a rare thing for me to have to admit I was wrong, but in this case I was definitely wrong.

I still think this is something that could go dreadfully wrong in the wrong hands, but if there is someone who specializes in tattooing natural looking eyebrows when one has few (or none), might be something to consider?

Bill 

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2

I use IT Your Skin But Better cc cream as my foundation. Echoing what others said about primer though. It really makes a difference. I was using Estee Lauder Futurist Hydra Rescue but it's pricey. I don't work and don't need full foundation daily so cc cream works for me. If you really want full coverage without it looking cakey the Estee Lauder is quite nice.

I used to have such thick brows that I tweezed them because they were embarrassing. Not so anymore. With age they've thinned. I'm terrible at brow drawing so I just use Gimme Brow (Benefit I think) to darken them and make what I have more visible.

I've always had hooded eyelids so eyeshadow has always been a struggle for me. As I got older the "hoods" are more pronounced. I rarely wear eye shadow because it's lost on my eyes. I've tried adding some to my brow bone but it doesn't do much. I mostly just use eyeliner, which helps a bit. I'm still searching for a favorite liner.

Mascara is always a challenge. My lashes are thin and they clump together at the outer ends. Always have so it's not an aging thing. I've tried numerous mascaras and primers. Off to read that older mascara thread...

7 hours ago, Quill said:

I also like Urban Decay eyeshadows. I have an eyebrow powder by Anastasia and a tool with a wedged brush on one end and an eyebrow comb on the other. I like this much better than a pencil because it fills in the spaces but looks natural. 

I also recommend shaving your face or, at least, buying the micro blade tools for shaving female faces. Most women seem to get furrier after 50 and if makeup rests on the fuzzy hairs instead of the smooth skin, it does not look as good. 

I have none.   In fact, I haven't had leg hair in over 15 years and barely had any to begin with.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I don't know anything, so why do I respond to such threads?

And I have a strong aversion to tattoos. Don't hate me, it's just me being honest about something I'm going to recommend (with a caveat).

My mom's eyebrows were gone towards the end of her life (91-92).

In her last year or so of life she came to live with me. My mother was a very beautiful woman, even in her late age. She wasn't overly-vain, but she like to look good and the lack of eyebrows was an issue for her. I started doing them for her and researched different products and techniques. Watched YouTube videos, etc.

I'd rate my eyebrow painting a "meh." She appreciated it, but...

Then my sister-in-law, who had her own eyebrows done, recommended a place in LA's Koreatown that tattoos eyebrows on.

I was "horrified" by the idea, to be frank. I imagined a full-time What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? look coming out of this.

I put up considerable residence. But finally folded. I remained worried. Really worried.

SIL took Mom and got it done.

Could have knocked me over with a feather afterward. Looked great. Mom was fair and they picked a great color, and her "eyebrows" looked natural. Mom was very happy.

I told my Mom and SIL that it was a rare thing for me to have to admit I was wrong, but in this case I was definitely wrong.

I still think this is something that could go dreadfully wrong in the wrong hands, but if there is someone who specializes in tattooing natural looking eyebrows when one has few (or none), might be something to consider?

Bill 

Yeah, I have considered it, but I have also seen several people recently who looked horrible and it isn't something that is an easy fix, so it terrifies me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Yeah, I have considered it, but I have also seen several people recently who looked horrible and it isn't something that is an easy fix, so it terrifies me.

Very understandable. I had nightmares in advance about it myself. Could be bad and not easily reversed. I really feared a fright show.

I was astonished by what a good job was done on my mother's eyebrows. If you ever come to Los Angeles I could ask for the referral.

Bill

Anyone have a great primer recommendation? Do you think primer is helpful, even when wearing light coverage (like CC cream)?

ETA - this is a great thread! I’m not quite 50, but starting to see a pretty big change in my skin and the way my makeup looks. 

Edited by Just Kate

4 hours ago, Just Kate said:

Anyone have a great primer recommendation? Do you think primer is helpful, even when wearing light coverage (like CC cream)?

It seems to me a primer serves two purposes, 1) to help make up stay put, and 2) give the makeup a blank slate to do their thing.

For my everyday, I only use my foundation for the sunscreen. I have to use a mineral sunscreen and it does have a sheen so the foundation part of it covers up the white shininess of the sunscreen. So no primer because it's all over my face anyways (no color to stray anywhere) and I also don't want to look like a blank slate (I don't want to put on blush, eye stuff, etc.).

When I get dolled up I use primer under my foundation. The difference I see here is after the primer and the foundation my face will be mono-colored. (A more sheer will have less of that effect but still there is less color in your face after the primer.) Then since you are getting dolled up then your blush, shimmer, contour all that stuff will 1) stay put and 2) has a blank canvas to work with. 

For eyeshadow I like Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion. For all over face I liked Pur Minerals Color correcting Primer (it seems like they changed to 4in1 and they call that redness reducer) I would just pick what you need (blurring, redness reduce, dark spot ...). 

Full disclosure I don't wear makeup normally (again just the sunscreen), but I love doing makeup.   

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2022 at 11:30 AM, Lady Florida. said:

I use IT Your Skin But Better cc cream as my foundation. Echoing what others said about primer though. It really makes a difference.

As someone who uses neither CC cream nor primer, can you clarify for me? Are you saying that if you were going full-makeup, you would put on primer and then CC cream OVER the primer?

• Like 1

My look is very minimalist--no foundation, lip color, cheek color, or eye shadow. But to look fully awake I do wear eye liner and mascara. Eye liner helps the most for disappearing lashes. I don't put mascara on my lower lashes because it rubs off too easily, but eye liner makes all the difference. I like Clinique's Intense Chocolate eyeliner pencil (I also have the Intense Charcoal color I use less often), and my mascara is Clinique's Lash Doubling mascara. It's not a dramatic look, but makes my skimpy eyelashes look normal.

9 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

My look is very minimalist--no foundation, lip color, cheek color, or eye shadow. But to look fully awake I do wear eye liner and mascara. Eye liner helps the most for disappearing lashes. I don't put mascara on my lower lashes because it rubs off too easily, but eye liner makes all the difference. I like Clinique's Intense Chocolate eyeliner pencil (I also have the Intense Charcoal color I use less often), and my mascara is Clinique's Lash Doubling mascara. It's not a dramatic look, but makes my skimpy eyelashes look normal.

I've never ever gotten the hang of eyeliner. Even as a young person I didn't wear it. I wanted to. I think it makes such a difference in making the eyes look good. But I've always been fair...first blonde, now completely gray...so the eyeliner tends to look very stark. Maybe it's just that I'm not used to it. I was complaining to dd25 recently that the eyebrow products I've been trying look so weird on me, and she said "of course it looks different! You're not used to it!" So maybe I just have to get used to it. But I'm afraid that I'll be going around looking like a clown while I "get used to it". Sigh

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Governess said:

I started using black eyeshadow for eyeliner. I brush it into the base of my lashes with a small angled brush. I feel like it makes me look more awake without being overly made up. It’s easy to go lighter or darker and it washes off easily too. 

Maybe I'll give this a try. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 6:02 PM, DawnM said:

I have used a variety of brands including Mary Kay and Boom.   I had some mineral make up that you would customize and I liked it but I have no idea the brand and have no more left.

Just curious what you like/use/are staples?

I pulled all my make up from varying places and put them together and tossed the old old stuff and am going to use some of what I have.

I really, really need eye shadow for women over 50.

I also wonder what is in the mascara that makes your eyelashes look longer and fuller?   Anyone know?  I literally have no eyelashes to speak of.   My eyebrows are pretty much gone too.   Sigh.

On 7/24/2022 at 7:09 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

The IT Precisely pencil mentioned above is nice, but I had to upgrade to the IT Gimme Brow once I had lost more than 1/3 of my natural brow hairs. The Gimme Brow gives you fuller more natural coverage. The pencil is great for fill ins.

So sorry to possibly take this thread on a side journey, but speaking as a 45-year-old, where are my eyebrows going to go? I didn't know this was a thing I had to worry about? 

19 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

So sorry to possibly take this thread on a side journey, but speaking as a 45-year-old, where are my eyebrows going to go? I didn't know this was a thing I had to worry about? 

They do get thinner as you get older, and some people’s brows go gray or white as they get older, so their brows are less noticeable. But not everyone ends up with super-skimpy brows, so it’s nothing to worry about. 

Also, brow “styles” change, so by the time your brows might even start to thin at all, the heavily defined brows that are popular now, may not be a thing any more, and less dramatic brows might be what everyone wants. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 10:33 PM, Grace Hopper said:

For mascara and eyebrow pencil I’ve been using elf brand items because they contain less product, which means they run out faster and with regular replacement I know the product going on my eye area is less likely to be contaminated. Side benefit of elf is lower cost. It is definitely not a high-end brand!

I have not found “the” mascara yet, so I have no advice on that, but in the higher end brands you can usually buy a travel size (sometimes in a gift pack that has eyeliner, too) that costs less than full size. That’s what I’ve been doing for a few years now, because I like some of the more expensive brands, and the travel size costs about what the full size of a drugstore brand does, which I wouldn’t use up before it needed throwing out anyway.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

They do get thinner as you get older, and some people’s brows go gray or white as they get older, so their brows are less noticeable. But not everyone ends up with super-skimpy brows, so it’s nothing to worry about. 

Also, brow “styles” change, so by the time your brows might even start to thin at all, the heavily defined brows that are popular now, may not be a thing any more, and less dramatic brows might be what everyone wants. 🙂 

I'll have to stare at my mom's eyebrows next time I see her to see what they're up to! I don't do much (anything) with mine now - they are thankfully well behaved so far. I have noticed that my dad's eyebrows kind of look like a mad scientist's - wild and long with some crazy hairs sticking out in all directions. Those, I'd trim. 

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2022 at 4:03 PM, AbcdeDooDah said:

For eyeshadows like the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette. I also recently bought some Bobbi Brown cream eyeshadow sticks that are great for older eyes since they are not powder. 

My favorite mascara is the IT cosmetics Superhero. Next is Eyeko Beach, if I need waterproof. I've been using Thrive Liquid Lash Extensions and I really like the tubing technology because there's no flaking and very easy to remove.

For eyebrows I use the Benefit Precisely, My Brow pencil. Love it.

I was going to suggest Bobbi Brown too. I love their one and done colors, easy to blend out without a brush, and stays put.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, footballmom said:

Thrive causemetics - their liquid lash extension mascara and their highlighting cream eyeshadow sticks are the only reason I have a make up routine,  I’m done pulling myself together in 5 minutes.

I was also going to suggest Thrive mascara because I prefer tubing mascara. Em cosmetics makes one too.

On 7/26/2022 at 5:52 PM, Amethyst said:

As someone who uses neither CC cream nor primer, can you clarify for me? Are you saying that if you were going full-makeup, you would put on primer and then CC cream OVER the primer?

Sorry, I meant to get back to you. I read this when I couldn't reply then forgot to come back and reply. Anyway, I use the CC cream as a foundation. IT CC cream is full coverage and I do use primer first. I use primer because I have tiny lines and the primer helps fill them in. The CC in CC cream stands for color correction and doesn't really address tiny lines/wrinkles. If you don't have that issue you might not need primer but primer does help any makeup look better.

On 7/24/2022 at 7:09 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

Yes, I prefer Gimme Brow over fill in pencils because I'm just trying to darken what I have and make them look natural while doing so. I love Gimme Brow.

On 7/25/2022 at 1:59 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

FWIW, if you haven't watched eyeshadow tutorials for people over 55+.....it's worth looking at a few:

I used to follow Angie but got disillusioned when she basically started just being advertising for various brands. Also, she doesn't really have hooded lids; hers are barely hooded. The woman on The Hooded Lid channel has truly hooded lids, the kind like mine that disappear when your eyes are open. She does a lot of other makeup videos but I just watch her ones on eyes.

On 7/25/2022 at 12:10 AM, gardenmom5 said:

no eyebrows is a symptom of hypothyroid, or adrenal fatigue.

Mine is a reaction to my autoimmune disease, Hashimoto's, which does happen to affect the thyroid. But in this case, my dermotologist did a skin biopsy, and it's definitely the reaction to autoimmune disease. Perhaps, since most adult women who have thyroid issues actually have Hashimoto's, more women lose eyebrow hair for this same reason (full disclosure: I have hardly any hair anywhere on my body at this point, except for eyelashes and hair on my head, so it isn't only eyebrows).

I have the name of the condition written down somewhere if anyone cares, lol.