Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

Is there an overall increase in children’s hospitalizations, though? Why would that be? What about looking at something like excess hospitalizations, much like looking at excess deaths?

1 hour ago, whitestavern said:

I have read several articles stating that many (most?) of the children hospitalized are not there due to Covid but are positive when tested. The news doesn’t accurately depict what’s going on. Very frustrating. 

I've seen both things happening. With omicron so prevalent, a number of kids who are tested in the hospital are positive even if that's not why they are there. In addition though, pediatric hospital admissions are way up over baseline in many areas, and it seems to be coorelated with the same places that are having big omicron surges (NY, for example), and anecdotally, doctors and nurses working in peds are reporting a large number of pediatric covid patients, different from past surges.

12 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

This is a hospital in my area.  Our other local ones are similar.

Screenshot_20211229-145804.png

This looks very similar to our proportions.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Have you seen it broken out anywhere? I would love to know. I understand sometimes lines can be blurred, but still would like at least attempted stats. 

I’m not sure I’ve seen it teased out for U.S. numbers. I’ve been trying to find that data for my local hospitals, but I’m not finding it so far. I know our Childrens Hospital was specifying this back during our Delta surge, but I haven’t checked lately.

I will hopefully come back later with some links. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

But only one with a booster? Or at least only one who was eligible and got boosted? I’m not sure how to interpret that, exactly.

Maybe they have different definitions as to what makes someone immunocompromised?  I thought recently, only a 1/3 of eligible/recommended adults had gotten their boosters.  I also live in a lower-vaccination area.  I know, I don't find these numbers comforting.  The vaccinated numbers have been going up a bit.  Still, it seems being vaccinated is the right thing. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Joker2 said:

I honestly understand and I keep debating whether to post on this board at all anymore because of it. Our 20 year old had to go on anxiety meds recently because it’s all just become too much, though. So, a big part of our reasons for not locking down anymore is because it’s healthier for them. I just didn’t realize until this trip how much it was affecting all of us. I truly feel for those who can’t choose to relax their lockdowns due to various reasons but I also don’t think those who do should be thought so poorly of because no one knows all the reasons why they’re doing so.

Our family has had emotional, relational, and spiritual challenges from being locked down. We simply cannot live that way. We are vaxed, mask inside etc., but we have to live and interact with the world. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 11

12 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Our family has had emotional, relational, and spiritual challenges from being locked down. We simply cannot live that      way. We are vaxed, mask inside etc., but we have to live and interact with the world. 

Same with my kids. I let them go to the movies today. 

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

10 vaccinated on a ventilator. 😞 

I wonder if this hospital is counting everyone with COVID, or just those in due to covid in those numbers.

So many people nearing end of life are on ventilators but not due to covid...or if due to covid, they were already nearing the end of life.

It would be nice to know if those 10 were otherwise healthy/younger or those elderly with lots of other health issues.   Again, this is why clear data matters.

• Like 7

Here's a new CDC report just out about pediatric hospitalizations in July-August (so, Delta), showing only 0.4% of adolescents admitted for covid were vaccinated, despite 29% of that age group being vaccinated (though the latter number is for the whole US, so the numbers for the areas in the study are likely not the same). Nonetheless, vaccination is clearly very protective against hospitalization in kids as well: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm705152a3.htm?s_cid=mm705152a3_w

Hopefully Omicron isn't changing this significantly.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Spryte said:

But only one with a booster? Or at least only one who was eligible and got boosted? I’m not sure how to interpret that, exactly.

That one "green" guy could also have been vaccinated less than 6 months ago, in which case he wouldn't show up in the "overdue for a booster" category. Could also be very elderly and/or high risk — even full vax and a booster may not save someone who is very elderly or medically fragile.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Our family has had emotional, relational, and spiritual challenges from being locked down. We simply cannot live that way. We are vaxed, mask inside etc., but we have to live and interact with the world. 

I think it’s not sustainable long terms if the rest is community simply don’t care.

11 hours ago, popmom said:

Do we know whether the 10% fall into the incidental group? From the article:

Covid infections hit a record high on Tuesday but the most up to date NHS data show that just one fifth of the weekly rise in Covid inpatients were admitted to hospital because of the virus, as opposed to being admitted for unrelated reasons.

No, I have no idea. The 10 percent number came from Boris Johnson and - characteristically  - he didn't give a reference for the figure, in the reports I saw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Seeing reports that some train services etc in the UK are being reduced?

Not in UK, but our local transit bus services are being reduced due to staff either ill or isolating.  This started within about 2 weeks of initial Omicron spread, and is getting worse going forward. 

• Sad 1

Not sure how significant this is or if it’s something that might happen quite readily.

Yes. The number of people self-isolating is causing havoc to services. It's the cases not the severity causing problems right now.

Screenshot_20211231-093711_Guardian.jpg

• Sad 4

Everyone has to do what is right for their family. I try not to judge. I feel like now that there’s a vaccine for young kids people expect me to get dd vaxxed but we’ve been dragging our feet and may not do it. She’s 7 and had Covid months ago. She does not want a shot (not that everyone else loves shots). Last time she went to the dr for a shot (for strep) the jab on the leg hurt her for a week or so. It went in deep and she complained about her leg a long time. 

Since dd isn’t vaxxed I feel like people may not want to be around me. My dad also isn’t vaxxed and refuses to get one. I saw him at Christmas (he lives a few hours away) and was a little nervous about that. He had Covid months ago. 

Not sure how significant this is or if it’s something that might happen quite readily.

London Victoria is a huge station and a big hub. I don’t think that happens very often at all but it has been a number of years since I lived in London so I could be wrong about it not happening often these days.

2 hours ago, Eilonwy said:

Not in UK, but our local transit bus services are being reduced due to staff either ill or isolating.  This started within about 2 weeks of initial Omicron spread, and is getting worse going forward. 

We have a reduction in city services - trash, recycling, brush pick-up routes are all affected.  

• Sad 1

Interesting update on my BIL: symptoms started dec 26, tested negative that day then positive the next. Had a few days of sore throat and a cough, but my SIL reports that now he's just coughing very occasionally and is more tired than usual. The interesting part is that none of the rest of his family of 4 or his parents that he was visiting ever had any symptoms (well, yet. knock wood). Only he and his high risk father tested, since they had trouble finding enough tests. I've seen everything from "asymptomatic cases are very rare with omicron" to estimates that 90% of cases are/will be asymptomatic (from the IHME projections), so I don't know. It just seems so unlikely that none of them caught it staying in a hotel room together that it seems like it would HAVE to be that they had asymptomatic cases (my SIL and BIL were both boosted; kids were vaxxed in spring but not boosted yet). But since they didn't test, they'll likely never know. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I wonder if this hospital is counting everyone with COVID, or just those in due to covid in those numbers.

So many people nearing end of life are on ventilators but not due to covid...or if due to covid, they were already nearing the end of life.

It would be nice to know if those 10 were otherwise healthy/younger or those elderly with lots of other health issues.   Again, this is why clear data matters.

I thought these were the people hospitalized because of Covid-19.  😞  Right now they are pausing elective surgeries, and a doctor is quoted as saying, "These elective surgeries include cardiac bypass surgeries, neurologic surgery cases, joint replacements, and countless others."  It's sad. I think a lot of people think of elective surgery as plastic/cosmetic surgery, and that is simply not the case.  It is sometimes hard to find clear data, but I do believe a while back the trend was that most people who end up in a dire state usually have underlying health issues/obesity/age working against them.  It doesn't make their lives any less valuable, and I worry, one day I might be one of them--it's awful that at present, some people blow it off.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 4

The number of airline flights being canceled here in the US due to staffing issues is crazy! Locally, services are way scaled back due to staffing shortages from the sheer number of cases and exposures. This is what "let it rip" means, but the people complaining loudest about the disruptions are the ones who never wanted to do anything but "let it rip" in the first place. I have told a few of them to "suck it up buttercup, this is what you wanted now pay the piper". I am not popular with them, and I don't really care either.

I am trying not to think about the numbers when school resumes next week. So much large gathering parties in our area. These school buildings are going to be plague riddled. I don't see how they will be able to function through the month of January. And no masks. The parents were determined to have ZERO protocols. So no notifications when exposed, no quarantining/isolation, kids coming to school sick because their parents don't want to take time off work. It is going to resemble and episode of Walking Dead by the middle of January.

• Sad 9

16 hours ago, Spryte said:

Oh fully vaxed means you've either had two doses and are not eligible for a booster or you are vaxxed and boosted per guidance.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

The number of airline flights being canceled here in the US due to staffing issues is crazy! Locally, services are way scaled back due to staffing shortages from the sheer number of cases and exposures. This is what "let it rip" means, but the people complaining loudest about the disruptions are the ones who never wanted to do anything but "let it rip" in the first place. I have told a few of them to "suck it up buttercup, this is what you wanted now pay the piper". I am not popular with them, and I don't really care either.

I am trying not to think about the numbers when school resumes next week. So much large gathering parties in our area. These school buildings are going to be plague riddled. I don't see how they will be able to function through the month of January. And no masks. The parents were determined to have ZERO protocols. So no notifications when exposed, no quarantining/isolation, kids coming to school sick because their parents don't want to take time off work. It is going to resemble and episode of Walking Dead by the middle of January.

I honestly cannot believe how h-bent these schools are on returning to in-person learning at this moment.  My children are homeschooled, but I live in a district where the school board voted to make the school mask-optional before the governor reinstated the indoor mask mandate.  The school doesn't do testing, no barriers, no distancing, etc.  They are relying on parents to be honest, but I know there are a few who see this all as some kind of hoax.  The school and its board have a lot of problems, though, and it is a failing school. 

• Sad 2

26 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I had a dream last night that I was at school and there was an actual zombie outbreak. In the dream, I finally ran out of the school but then thought, "Even if I make it home, this zombie outbreak is probably going to become a worldwide pandemic soon." 😬

Edited by Kanin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, Kanin said:

I had a dream last night that I was at school and there was an actual zombie outbreak. In the dream, I finally ran out of the school but then thought, "Even if I make it home, this zombie outbreak is probably going to become a worldwide pandemic soon." 😬

Idk if I should laugh or cry at your dream but either way…take care of yourself! ((Hugs!))

• Like 3

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Everyone has to do what is right for their family. I try not to judge. I feel like now that there’s a vaccine for young kids people expect me to get dd vaxxed but we’ve been dragging our feet and may not do it. She’s 7 and had Covid months ago. She does not want a shot (not that everyone else loves shots). Last time she went to the dr for a shot (for strep) the jab on the leg hurt her for a week or so. It went in deep and she complained about her leg a long time. 

Since dd isn’t vaxxed I feel like people may not want to be around me. My dad also isn’t vaxxed and refuses to get one. I saw him at Christmas (he lives a few hours away) and was a little nervous about that. He had Covid months ago. 

I hear you on that.  The majority of parents haven't vaccinated their 5-11 year olds.  I feel good about my husband and I being vaccinated. I think that helps protect them, but there are no guarantees.  I wish more adults would have made the choice before I started seriously considering it for my children.  Multiple shots as babies they forget...  but this will be a process, and the end number of boosters is unknown.

• Like 2

New UK technical briefing:

"An update on the analysis published last week finds the risk of presentation to emergency care or hospital admission with Omicron was approximately half of that for Delta (Hazard Ratio 0.53, 95% CI: 0.50 to 0.57). The risk of hospital admission from emergency departments with
Omicron was approximately one-third of that for Delta (Hazard Ratio 0.33, 95% CI: 0.30 to
0.37)."

"In this analysis, the risk of hospitalisation is lower for Omicron cases after 2 and 3 doses of
vaccine, with an 81% (77 to 85%) reduction in the risk of hospitalisation after 3 doses compared to unvaccinated Omicron cases"

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A friend of mine had her five kids, one DIL, and one gf home for Christmas.  Two of her kids had symptoms at the end of the visit.  One was tested and was positive.  The other flew back to NY with his wife (who also is sick now) and they didn't get tested because it was too difficult.  The gf left on an Amtrak train and has symptoms now.  Both my friend and her husband had very very mild symptoms and tested positive.  What a mess!  

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, KrisTom said:

I hear you on that.  The majority of parents haven't vaccinated their 5-11 year olds.  I feel good about my husband and I being vaccinated. I think that helps protect them, but there are no guarantees.  I wish more adults would have made the choice before I started seriously considering it for my children.  Multiple shots as babies they forget...  but this will be a process, and the end number of boosters is unknown.

kids will have to have multiple things that hurt a tad many times over their growing years- shots, blood draws, dental work, broken bones most likely.
I do not think that needing a yearly or whatever covid booster shot is a reason to not get them. Do you think your children are so fragile they can’t handle being given a shot by a nurse? I don’t understand. 
Shots as babies they don’t understand but cry a few minutes and are fine. Shots as older kids, they understand the reasoning. My children 7 & 8 were elated when they could get their vaccines.
They may still cry or complain about a one second pinch, but it’s really not a big deal. They’ll need other shots in their life too.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

kids will have to have multiple things that hurt a tad many times over their growing years- shots, blood draws, dental work, broken bones most likely.
I do not think that needing a yearly or whatever covid booster shot is a reason to not get them. Do you think your children are so fragile they can’t handle being given a shot by a nurse? I don’t understand. 
Shots as babies they don’t understand but cry a few minutes and are fine. Shots as older kids, they understand the reasoning. My children 7 & 8 were elated when they could get their vaccines.
They may still cry or complain about a one second pinch, but it’s really not a big deal. They’ll need other shots in their life too.

Right, kids/adults have shots throughout their lives. Shots aren’t traumatic, they are just part of life. I’m not sure of the reasoning behind protecting a kid from a shot, if that’s what the PP meant. Meningitis, tetanus, and more are given to older kids. Annual flu shots are common. Kids need shots to be in compliance with college dorm requirements (I’m talking pre-Covid), adults get shots to travel, flu shots, tetanus should be every 5 - 10 years, shingles and pneumonia vaccines are given to older people, and heck, apparently many of us could use a Measles booster! Shots are just a bump in the road. A necessary part of life, like lots of other mildly unpleasant things.

My 10 yr old was super excited to get her Covid vaccine. We went the first day she was eligible, and celebrated after with a bakery visit (masked), a new stuffie, and plans for a sleepover with her bestie. She understands how vaccines work, we’ve been studying that all year, in science, and the impact various vaccine have had on the world. She had me send her newly vaxxed pic to all relatives.

I think perhaps having never seen her parents anxious about shots, only happy to benefit from science, might have helped. If I had been anxious about it, maybe she would have been?

• Like 13

33 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

It wasn’t just the shot that has made us stall. It’s that it’s not effective against omicron and she already had what I imagine was delta. 

32 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

Oh I think an annual shot won't concern me.  I just keep reading about boosters in a short amount of time, such as now they are being considered for the 12-15 age group.  And then the current vaccine efficacy is waning against the variants.  With four kids, some have handled their other shots better than others.  It doesn't help that my husband isn't supportive of the idea.   And I worry what if one is a rare outlier---my husband will be so upset.  And of course, I will be upset if one of our children is an outlier and suffers Covid or long Covid.  😞 

6 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Right, kids/adults have shots throughout their lives. Shots aren’t traumatic, they are just part of life. I’m not sure of the reasoning behind protecting a kid from a shot, if that’s what the PP meant. Meningitis, tetanus, and more are given to older kids. Annual flu shots are common. Kids need shots to be in compliance with college dorm requirements (I’m talking pre-Covid), adults get shots to travel, flu shots, tetanus should be every 5 - 10 years, shingles and pneumonia vaccines are given to older people, and heck, apparently many of us could use a Measles booster! Shots are just a bump in the road. A necessary part of life, like lots of other mildly unpleasant things.

My 10 yr old was super excited to get her Covid vaccine. We went the first day she was eligible, and celebrated after with a bakery visit (masked), a new stuffie, and plans for a sleepover with her bestie. She understands how vaccines work, we’ve been studying that all year, in science, and the impact various vaccine have had on the world. She had me send her newly vaxxed pic to all relatives.

I think perhaps having never seen her parents anxious about shots, only happy to benefit from science, might have helped. If I had been anxious about it, maybe she would have been?

It's mostly emotional for me--I admit.  And I have been struggling with anxiety---I had a panic attack after my first vaccine because I was so nervous I'd just "taken a newer vaccine."  I do hate the idea of possibly needing so many boosters so often, especially with these variants, too.  And what stinks is we won't be able to change our behavior after they are all vaccinated.  We just hopefully reduce risk of severe illness and hopefully long covid from a mild case.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

It wasn’t just the shot that has made us stall. It’s that it’s not effective against omicron and she already had what I imagine was delta. 

I keep thinking about that, too, efficacy.  At some point, I saw studies saying Moderna, for example, was more effective than Pfizer.  But that is not even an option. 

4 minutes ago, KrisTom said:

Oh I think an annual shot won't concern me.  I just keep reading about boosters in a short amount of time, such as now they are being considered for the 12-15 age group.  And then the current vaccine efficacy is waning against the variants.  With four kids, some have handled their other shots better than others.  It doesn't help that my husband isn't supportive of the idea.   And I worry what if one is a rare outlier---my husband will be so upset.  And of course, I will be upset if one of our children is an outlier and suffers Covid or long Covid.  😞 

Yeah that, too. It’s like you are signing up for boosters in the process. Not the same as an annual shot. 

As I said before dd had an awful shot experience with the strep shot. I’m not sure traumatic is the right word but she has brought it up months later. She was in a lot of pain for at least a week. It hurt to walk. And she is due to get fillings soon and might have to get shots. I’m mad they are not able to do it all in one visit but said based on the parts of the mouth they are separating the appointments. They will try a topical numbing agent first in place of a shot (gas wasn’t listed as the alternative). Now we are pushing the flossing. Her teeth are very crowded and they think flossing was the big reason behind it. So anyway just dreading possible shots scheduled for her. 

• Sad 1

Dd15's private high school sent out a survey with questions on families' health over break and potential return to school policies. Today they emailed the results--30% of respondents reported an immediate household member with Covid over break, while 85% reported close contacts with Covid.

School starts back remotely on Monday, and they are still weighing whether to require a negative test and N95/KN95s to return in person in a couple weeks. If so, they would provide masks if needed, and as available. Hoping they decide on all of the above and wishing it weren't just private schools with the resources to make things safer.

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Yeah that, too. It’s like you are signing up for boosters in the process. Not the same as an annual shot. 

As I said before dd had an awful shot experience with the strep shot. I’m not sure traumatic is the right word but she has brought it up months later. She was in a lot of pain for at least a week. It hurt to walk. And she is due to get fillings soon and might have to get shots. I’m mad they are not able to do it all in one visit but said based on the parts of the mouth they are separating the appointments. They will try a topical numbing agent first in place of a shot (gas wasn’t listed as the alternative). Now we are pushing the flossing. Her teeth are very crowded and they think flossing was the big reason behind it. So anyway just dreading possible shots scheduled for her. 

My oldest son has had so much dental work due to lack of enamel on his teeth from lead poisoning in utero and as a baby (our water got contaminated--he was poisoned through me and then possibly by thawing leaky bags of frozen breast milk in water/bathing).  He went through medical chelation, several blood draws, etc. as his level was so high.  It is unpleasant, but we did it.  We seem to know for adults three shots are needed now, so I guess they just want us to start the process with the first two.  It all sucks. And I feel like in my area, my kids will always be at a heightened risk (which is a good reason to vaccinate, but it sucks there will be more of it here.  A let it rip mentality, ugh!).

Edited by KrisTom

2 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Dd15's private high school sent out a survey with questions on families' health over break and potential return to school policies. Today they emailed the results--30% of respondents reported an immediate household member with Covid over break, while 85% reported close contacts with Covid.

School starts back remotely on Monday, and they are still weighing whether to require a negative test and N95/KN95s to return in person in a couple weeks. If so, they would provide masks if needed, and as available. Hoping they decide on all of the above and wishing it weren't just private schools with the resources to make things safer.

That is reassuring!  I honestly cannot believe more schools are not considering it.  I understand the emotional aspect of being in school (though mine are homeschooled).  It's too cold to open up windows or get outside where I live, which might help.  I don't think our local school did much, though, to get kids back in person.  At one point, it was on an outbreak list early on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KrisTom said:

My oldest son has had so much dental work due to lack of enamel on his teeth from lead poisoning in utero and as a baby (our water got contaminated--he was poisoned through me and then possibly by thawing leaky bags of frozen breast milk in water/bathing).  He went through medical chelation, several blood draws, etc. as his level was so high.  It is unpleasant, but we did it.  We seem to know for adults three shots are needed now, so I guess they just want us to start the process with the first two.  It all sucks. And I feel like in my area, my kids will always be at a heightened risk (which is a good reason to vaccinate, but it sucks there will be more of it here.  A let it rip mentality, ugh!).

I had a visceral reaction when my son had blood drawn and I was in the hospital room. I’m an HSP (and/or empath). Plus new vaccines wig me out a little (no long-term studies). Not sure how pointless the vaccine is for dd at this point - that’s what’s bugging me the most. But also the mom guilt of pushing for something the kid is adamantly against and not knowing if it’s even worthwhile. 

Sounds like the dental stuff was less optional than the vaccines. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

This is not accurate. The vaccines are definitely effective at decreasing illness severity and hospitalization, a totally worthy goal to embrace. They DO extend some protection against disease transmission as well, especially if both vaxxed and boosted, though I will definitely grant that they are disappointingly less effective on this front. And there is ample evidence now that previous infection does not prevent further infection. Just like the flu, it's totally possible to continue falling ill to new variants. As someone who suffered in the ICU with a life-threatening infection (not covid) and who has lifelong health impacts from that illness, I can say it is most definitely worthwhile to try to prevent severe disease.

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 7

My PCR came back negative. 

If what I had was PEM, that’s the worst I’ve had since 2018. And that was before I started meds for EBV. And I never had GI symptoms with PEM. I’m not sure what to think.

I’m sad because now I don’t feel comfortable going to church in person. 

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

This is not accurate. The vaccines are definitely effective at decreasing illness severity and hospitalization, a totally worthy goal to embrace. They DO extend some protection against disease transmission as well, especially if both vaxxed and boosted, though I will definitely grant that they are disappointingly less effective on this front. And there is ample evidence now that previous infection does not prevent further infection. Just like the flu, it's totally possible to continue falling ill to new variants. As someone who suffered in the ICU with a life-threatening infection (not covid) and who has lifelong health impacts from that illness, I can say it is most definitely worthwhile to try to prevent severe disease.

This is true, you are correct about decreasing illness. I don’t know why I forgot that. As far as the flu analogy I didn’t really know that. 

• Like 2