Menu

A commonplace thread for quotes…

ScoutTN

I have an inside of a cabinet door with stickie notes all over it, recording clever or useful quotes i encounter. Two I recently wrote on there are both from the recent America’s Got Talent singer whose stage name is Nightbirde:

“I’m so much more than the bad things that happen to me.” And

”You can’t wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.” 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Quill said:

I have an inside of a cabinet door with stickie notes all over it, recording clever or useful quotes i encounter. Two I recently wrote on there are both from the recent America’s Got Talent singer whose stage name is Nightbirde:

“I’m so much more than the bad things that happen to me.” And

”You can’t wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.” 

Those are great.

• Like 1

I haven’t commonplaced much but this is a favourite from this year, though a tad depressing.

The trees encountered on a country stroll
Reveal a lot about that country’s soul.
A small grove, massacred to the last ash
An oak with heart rot, give away the show:
This great country is going smash:
They cannot fool us with how fast they go,
How much they cost each other and the gods!
A culture is no better than its woods.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 9

I love this one from Fred Rogers: 

“If you could only sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to the people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.”

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

You guys are all inspirational, and I can just think of this:

"Wantin' ain't gettin" - Barney Fife

My kids hated that one. 😁 They didn't like a lot of my "country sayings."* My mom said "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit" whereas I always said "You get what you get and you don't get upset."  Different words rhyme in different regions.  🤣

* They also weren't fond of:

That dog won't hunt

Pretty as a speckled pup

The juice ain't worth the squeeze

A bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck

and "half again more" as a unit of measurement 

I realize I've veered from quotes to expressions, but there's nothin to be done for it.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

„To dress with good taste, always wear fabrics that were alive once (wool, cotton, linen, etc.).“

„There are only two ways to get rid of fat: liposuction or use it up. Fat is stored food on your body and you „use it up“ when you aren’t eating.“

„Holiness is the soul agreeing with God, gentleness is the soul agreeing with itself.“

„Every breath, every pulse, every word, leaves one less of the number which God hath appointed me, and carries away some sands of the glass of time; and yet how little care is taken to employ it well.“ - John Shower

Edited by GracieJane
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

You guys are all inspirational, and I can just think of this:

"Wantin' ain't gettin" - Barney Fife

My kids hated that one. 😁 They didn't like a lot of my "country sayings."* My mom said "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit" whereas I always said "You get what you get and you don't get upset."  Different words rhyme in different regions.  🤣

* They also weren't fond of:

That dog won't hunt

Pretty as a speckled pup

I realize I've veered from quotes to expressions, but there's nothin to be done for it.

Lol!  A phrase I heard a lot growing up was you can’t squeeze blood from a turnip. That has been a go to for me the past 3 years when everyone wants/needs something from me LoL.

• Like 5

I love these!!!! I have a little book where I collect quotes but there aren't many there. The first is from June 1989 out of a Victoria Magazine - "The true mark of character is not how one spends a working day but how one passes leisure time."

The most recently recorded on June 23 of this year was by Lady Edith in Downton Abbey when I was binge watching that series: "You have a talent that none of the rest of us have. Just find out what it is and use it. It is doing nothing that is the enemy." Hmmm. Lady Edith didn't say that. It was the sister who died in childbirth. I think she was saying it to Lady Edith.

• Like 3

The ones currently on our bulletin board include:

If men were angels, no government would be necessary. - Federalist 51

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Ben Franklin (sticky-noted to ->)

If you don't know where you are going you'll end up someplace else. - Yogi Berra

Leaving Humbaba's woods Enkidu turned and said, "My friend, we have created this wasteland. What shall we tell the gods when we get back to the city?" - Gilgamesh

I hear echoes between this last one and the one from @Ausmumof3

• Like 6

3 hours ago, SusanC said:

The ones currently on our bulletin board include:

If men were angels, no government would be necessary. - Federalist 51

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Ben Franklin (sticky-noted to ->)

If you don't know where you are going you'll end up someplace else. - Yogi Berra

Leaving Humbaba's woods Enkidu turned and said, "My friend, we have created this wasteland. What shall we tell the gods when we get back to the city?" - Gilgamesh

I hear echoes between this last one and the one from @Ausmumof3

Ooh yes.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

That dog won't hunt

Pretty as a speckled pup

My boss constantly says a version of that to potential clients. He’ll say, “You have to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze.” (Because obviously, retaining an attorney is expensive, so its generally not worth it unless you stand to gain significantly from the fight. 

• Like 2

The majority of these I have no idea the origin.

Everyone thinks they want what they deserve until they realize what they actually deserve.

A self-made man worships his creator.

You can decide to love those who have treated you hatefully.  They don’t get to decide what kind of person you choose to be.

Faith isn’t enough.  Satan never doubted God’s presence.

Trust but verify.

• Like 2

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not weakness, that is life.” — Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek

"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again." — Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings." — Cassius, Julius Caesar, Shakespeare. I greyed out the part that I usually leave out when quoting.

“The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you.” ― David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest

my goodness I'm not being uplifting, LOL. Something a bit funnier to end with:

“The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people.” ― G.K. Chesterton

• Like 6

23 hours ago, mlktwins said:

My FIL was famous for saying Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.  The bear has been getting us lately LoL.

We say, "sometimes you're the pigeon, sometimes you're the statue."

My current favorite is, "Talk is free,” said Odd, “but the wise man chooses when to spend his words.”
Neil Gaiman, Odd and the Frost Giants

I have this posted on my fridge:

IMG_20210716_090834078.jpg

• Like 5

One of the lines that runs through my head a lot right now is from In the Heights--"I worked with what they gave me, okay". 

I just love the concise/ casual summary of something that's really powerful for me when I struggle with my limitations: we all come into this world with a set of strengths and weaknesses that are beyond our control, and it's what we do with them that matters. 

• Like 4

Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird (regarding courage)

“It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do.”

• Like 4

"If you truly wish your child to study Torah, study it yourself in their presence.  They will follow your example.  Otherwise they will not themselves study Torah, but will simply instruct their children to do so."

Rabbi Menahem Mendel of Kotsk
  • Like 7

Two from my uncle who has passed on- he was as country as cornbread.

"When a man puts his boots on of a morning, he don't ever know who's going to take them off at night."

His wife was a great cook and made awesome biscuits. Uncle would say, "A man that wants toast, don't want much."

• Like 3

5 hours ago, math teacher said:

Two from my uncle who has passed on- he was as country as cornbread.

"When a man puts his boots on of a morning, he don't ever know who's going to take them off at night."

His wife was a great cook and made awesome biscuits. Uncle would say, "A man that wants toast, don't want much."

That's a quote in itself!  I love it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

My siggie has a good one from Madam CJ Walker.   I find her to be one of the most amazing women I never heard about.

Could you please share the quote for those of us who cannot see signatures?

Regards,

Kareni

"The Great I am... is."  -my friend

"To overflow you must first be filled." -also my friend

“Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.” -Arthur Schopenhauer

"Más sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo." -proverb (The devil knows more because he is old than because he is the devil)