Menu

Pumpkin spice rice krispie treats, would you eat these?

PeterPan

Just please label them. As someone who is VERY allergic to cinnamon, rice crispy bars are something that I usually would consider safe, especially in July (around October-November NOTHING is safe, including packaged products due to cross-contamination). 

• Like 6

I would be confused...I forget that there is something called pumpkin spice that doesn't have pumpkin in it. I was expecting these to be orange and wondered how someone would get pumpkin in them.

I would be willing to try them, but I think you should leave the pumpkin word out of saying what they are because there is no pumpkin in it. If someone wants to know what spices are in it, just list them. We eat "spice" cake in my family--it has things like cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. in it. 

• Like 2

No.  I'm not a huge fan of the smell of maple when it's roasting hot outside. 

It does have me interested in making rice krispies treats with other flavors, though.  Something to play with the buttery/marshmallowy flavor of the original..maybe mint with a dark chocolate drizzle on top, or an integrated caramel/chocolate element.  Ds would probably love it if I figured out a way to incorporate dried cherries.  Maybe we'll have to try that this weekend!

47 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

No.  I'm not a huge fan of the smell of maple when it's roasting hot outside. 

It does have me interested in making rice krispies treats with other flavors, though.  Something to play with the buttery/marshmallowy flavor of the original..maybe mint with a dark chocolate drizzle on top, or an integrated caramel/chocolate element.  Ds would probably love it if I figured out a way to incorporate dried cherries.  Maybe we'll have to try that this weekend!

Died cherries and m&Ms would be my choice (no spices, though, but in the summer)

We've also made them with knock-off fruit loops. Those were fun. I think I would do ½ rice krispies ½ fruit loops.

• Like 2

You can do what you want, but I’m gonna vote Bad Idea. People like rice Krispy treats the way they are. They will tolerate a few m&ms or sprinkles for holiday color. There are already enough desserts that do cinnamon and nutmeg very well. I mean, I wouldn’t add it to lemon meringue pie; it’s just unnecessary. You might like them, but I think you’ll end up with a lot that have been discarded after one bite. I’d save this experiment for home where nobody will waste your efforts or complain. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, SusanC said:

We've also made them with knock-off fruit loops. Those were fun. I think I would do ½ rice krispies ½ fruit loops.

Ooo those sound really fun! Someone else usually brings rice krispies as well, so I wanted to be different. I'm taking a cherry pie anyway. This was just bonus. But fruit loops, that would be so fun as to be essential, lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I used to have a recipe where you put Mars bars in the rice krispies. It was yummy. You melted the candy bars with the marshmellows and put cut up Mars bars on the top. Yummy but I'm sure very high in calories and fat. 

I don't think I've ever even had a mars bar, but that sounds pretty wow! I did a trio of rice krispie treats one year (regular, chocolate, p-butter) and used nutella with chocolate cereal for the chocolate. But that mars bar would be really nice too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ooo those sound really fun! Someone else usually brings rice krispies as well, so I wanted to be different. I'm taking a cherry pie anyway. This was just bonus. But fruit loops, that would be so fun as to be essential, lol.

I bookmarked these s'mores cereal treats because they sounded summery and fun. Just sharing:

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/smores-cereal-bars-treats?fbclid=IwAR35qmcbd-PcQpY3_HuMNXZ7oPDof8t8toky3fK0Wz-EWsFPmUIduKY2o2E

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I bookmarked these s'mores cereal treats because they sounded summery and fun. Just sharing:

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/smores-cereal-bars-treats?fbclid=IwAR35qmcbd-PcQpY3_HuMNXZ7oPDof8t8toky3fK0Wz-EWsFPmUIduKY2o2E

Ooo, those do look fun! I had been trying to think how to conjure smores flavors into a portable dish, and that would work!

10 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Just a word on these - because Golden Grahams have sugar in them and are coated with sugar, they get super sweet.  We made a batch the way this recipe is written and then did a batch with dark chocolate chips to help temper the cereal.  The second batch was definitely better than the first.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t eat that at any time of the year, but I’m a traditionalist. Rice Krispy treats are cereal, marshmallow and butter and pumpkin is for pies, bread and rarely, soup (rarely because I’m not a big fan of puréed soup). Others would love it, I’m sure. 

• Like 1