Menu

The Vaccine Thread

JennyD

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

And if boosters are needed this fast -- the third world has no chance of getting vaccinated to curb the spread.

Even without boosters it seems to lower the spread enough that outbreaks die off. 

And it may not be boosters in the sense of EVERY 6 months, it may be we just need 3 doses to get lasting immunity, similar to Hep B, Polio, etc. 

• Like 8

Anybody seen a report from NBC about a study showing infected vaxed people have an even higher viral load than infected unvaxed? The proof presented to me was a screen shot that mentioned NBC but they seem to be having trouble pointing me to the actual study.

21 minutes ago, TCB said:

Anybody seen a report from NBC about a study showing infected vaxed people have an even higher viral load than infected unvaxed? The proof presented to me was a screen shot that mentioned NBC but they seem to be having trouble pointing me to the actual study.

I haven’t seen that, but the viral loads are similar is what I’ve heard. They do go down quicker, though.

36 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I haven’t seen that, but the viral loads are similar is what I’ve heard. They do go down quicker, though.

Yes this is what I’ve heard also. The claim presented to me was that viral load was in fact higher, but no study referenced yet so who knows. This exchange has given me a bit more insight into some friends’ thought processes though, and where they are getting their information, which they seem to  accept without any questioning  at all. It’s interesting and has made me feel a bit more empathy for them. One site - Infowars - is absolutely blatantly misrepresenting all kinds of things. If you actually click on the links they use, they say completely different and contradictory things to the commentary.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TCB said:

Yes this is what I’ve heard also. The claim presented to me was that viral load was in fact higher, but no study referenced yet so who knows. This exchange has given me a bit more insight into some friends’ thought processes though, and where they are getting their information, which they seem to  accept without any questioning  at all. It’s interesting and has made me feel a bit more empathy for them. One site - Infowars - is absolutely blatantly misrepresenting all kinds of things. If you actually click on the links they use, they say completely different and contradictory things to the commentary.

That's how most people are. Then they are super defensive if you actually find research for them, because it makes them uncomfortable and threatened. 

I find it both understandable (it's not like I like being challenged!) and also anti-scientific and tiresome. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TCB said:

If you actually click on the links they use, they say completely different and contradictory things to the commentary.

I see a lot of this. People share a link to something they say supports xyz, but if you actually read the thing they link to, you find it doesn’t say that at all. I don’t know if they don’t actually read the links they share, or if they’re just not understanding what they’re reading.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TCB said:

Quoting myself to post the article they’ve sent to me - still no actual study referenced in it and it doesn’t really say what the headline says it says.

I don’t know anything about this website but it shows were nbc stated that. 

https://techstartups.com/2021/07/28/new-data-suggests-fully-vaccinated-individuals-higher-levels-virus-infect-others-nbc-news-reports/

1 minute ago, TCB said:

Quoting myself to post the article they’ve sent to me - still no actual study referenced in it and it doesn’t really say what the headline says it says.

https://techstartups.com/2021/07/28/new-data-suggests-fully-vaccinated-individuals-higher-levels-virus-infect-others-nbc-news-reports/

That article says that vaxxed people

"could be carrying higher levels of the virus than previously understood"

Which is very different from higher levels than unvaxxed people.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

That article says that vaxxed people

"could be carrying higher levels of the virus than previously understood"

Which is very different from higher levels than unvaxxed people.  

Yes another example of the quoted article not saying what they think it says. The article mentions that it raises the concern of ADE - although how that makes sense since vaxed people are having much less severe illness not more, I don’t know.

9 minutes ago, TCB said:

Yes another example of the quoted article not saying what they think it says. The article mentions that it raises the concern of ADE - although how that makes sense since vaxed people are having much less severe illness not more, I don’t know.

The doctor quoted as saying that on Twitter has promoted some other conspiracy theory stuff that has been debunked

https://www.wreg.com/news/coronavirus/false-conspiracy-theory-that-covid-19-vaccines-spike-proteins-are-cytotoxic-debunked-by-experts/

same doctor is now promoting vaccines for the elderly and high risk via Twitter today.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KSera said:

I see a lot of this. People share a link to something they say supports xyz, but if you actually read the thing they link to, you find it doesn’t say that at all. I don’t know if they don’t actually read the links they share, or if they’re just not understanding what they’re reading.

I don't think they read the links. They find links on sites they agree with. 

35 minutes ago, TCB said:

Has anyone seen which study that article is referencing. I think it may be the Singapore one but I can’t see it noted anywhere. It’s super sloppy writing I think, but the burden of proof doesn’t seem to be required by their readers. 

Texas has requested five mortuary trailers from the federal government in anticipation of an influx of dead bodies.

Meanwhile, Texas, Gov. Abbott has said he will “aggressively sue anyone advocating mandatory vaccinations or masks.”

This is insanity.

Bill

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/texas-requests-five-mortuary-trailers-anticipation-covid-deaths-n1276924

• Sad 13

30 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Texas has requested five mortuary trailers from the federal government in anticipation of an influx of dead bodies.

Meanwhile, Texas, Gov. Abbott has said he will “aggressively sue anyone advocating mandatory vaccinations or masks.”

This is insanity.

Bill

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/texas-requests-five-mortuary-trailers-anticipation-covid-deaths-n1276924

I keep thinking about how this is going to look in the history books. If he won’t mandate it, if he was a decent person he would be begging people to do those things voluntarily. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

This is incredibly scary and leaves me with very little hope for our future.

Yes, but….I’d also note that age seems to be the critical factor here…those who are 60+ are the most likely to be hospitalized with break-through infections. Boosters are needed, but available. I’m sure vaccine researchers are hard at work on configuring for Delta. 
For me, what stood out is the continued need for & absolute value of masking and distancing, vaccinated or not. Here, in the United States of Stupidity, we have multiple elected leaders (all from the “small government party”) prohibiting and/or suing businesses and institutions which are trying use those protocols. And, because of that, a LOT more people are going to sicken and die. 

Edited by Happy2BaMom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Happy2BaMom said:

Yes, but….I’d also note that age seems to be the critical factor here…those who are 60+ are the most likely to be hospitalized with break-through infections. Boosters are needed, but available. I’m sure vaccine researchers are hard at work on configuring for Delta. 
For me, what stood out is the continued need for & absolute value of masking and distancing, vaccinated or not. Here, in the United States of Stupidity, we have multiple elected leaders (all from the “small government party”) prohibiting and/or suing businesses and institutions which are trying use those protocols. And, because of that, a LOT more people are going to sicken and die. 

Yeah, I am almost 60. Not comforting. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Happy2BaMom said:

Mask, distance, booster. In whatever order. 

Yeah… I thought life would be normal again. Silly me. And once again, just as I am about to enter life: musicals, choir, the door slams shut and I sit trying not to infect others while life continues as normal here .  

Part of this is I will be home alone for months of October and November and had wanted to have activities to be with people.

Edited by TexasProud
  • Sad 3

37 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

When did you get vaccinated?

First dose end of March. 2nd dose begining of April, Hubby goes to Africa at beginning of October.  I will join him for the month of December. We will come home New Year’s. Will have to figure out boosters. Will be working in hospital setting. 

35 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Yeah, I am almost 60. Not comforting. 

Yeah, I'm almost 60 too, dh is already. I've had to stop going to my gym because they are indeed going on as if the virus has gone. Announcing that classes are all moving to full capacity again, no masks (but you can wear one! 😡) and since it's a fitness studio, of course we're all young and healthy.  Um, no, that's not how that works. I may be in good shape for my age, but I am not young. I'm sure there are people with things like autoimmune conditions that go there. I know pre-Covid there was a woman with type 1 diabetes that used to come with her service dog.  But yeah, so I have to stay home so the unvaxxed snowflakes don't get their feelings hurt by being asked if they've done their part for community health. (And if they haven't,  why aren't THEY the ones staying home? Why is their fear of a safe vaccine being prioritized over my fear of catching - and spreading to my even older loved ones - a deadly disease?!)

So yeah, I'm pissed.  And I'm in a state where people are more cautious overall (but still no mask mandate 🙄).  If I were in Texas, I'd be planning my escape, and finding an adjective other than 'proud' to express my feelings about it... 😬

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

First dose end of March. 2nd dose begining of April, Hubby goes to Africa at beginning of October.  I will join him for the month of December. We will come home New Year’s. Will have to figure out boosters. Will be working in hospital setting. 

That's a lot later than when people your age got their shots in Israel. So you're probably fine for now. You'll need boosters in a bit, that's all. 

• Like 4

Dh and I had our 2nd doses in April. Hopefully, we can do boosters in the fall, but I worry about other countries who don't have enough doses to even begin to tackle their  population. This is really frightening!

I also worry about our son living in college dorms. He had JnJ because that was all that was available at our local pharmacies when he got home from the winter term. I really want him to have a dose of Pfizer or Moderna. Thankfully, he is a super masker, and natural social distancer. He prefers space, and prefers eating outside or alone at a table in a not crowded area with his nose in his notes and textbooks. His college is requiring masks inside buildings and outside of standing in a group of more than four students. His college did SUPER well last year. 83% of the faculty is fully vaxed, and they gave enough financial incentives plus vaccine mandate in order to live in campus housing, that 74% of the student body is vaxed according to latest statistics. 6 days until classes begin, 2 days until he leaves home. Fingers crossed that he will be okay, and I think I am going to be on edge this year. He graduates April 30, 2022.

Our son infrastructure school has had the two dose Pfizer, completed his second dose in June. He masks and social distances well. He will be a T.A. this fall, and is allowed to require masks of any students who come to him for assistance/meetings. The class size is small but in large rooms for both his coursework as well as his TA work. His grad school profs said they are KN95 masking, told him to make sure he had a lot of those with him, and said they can require masks - though they cannot dictate kind - to the other students. I really, really hope this works. He has lung scar tissue from the punctured lung from our 2014 car accident. 

Middle boy has two grad school classes this fall, but is not going full time this year because he is also picking up another minor for his BA, and that is online except one impersonal class. He has Pfizer as well, and masks too, but his in person is on a campus that I think I can accurately call "The Wild West of Michigan". It did not do well last year, got in trouble for fudging its number to the county health department, and is not having what one would call a high participation rate in vaccination for students and staff/faculty much less cooperation with social distancing. Apparently, masking went fairly okay last year and they are requiring them again. I would be extra scared if ds was working first shift. But he switched to 3rd shift stocking shelves in produce while the store is shut down which makes me feel a little bit better. But, dh is trying to get him a position doing work remote data processing so he can just hunker down.

So you raise your kids to adulthood and you think, Phew! Then a pandemic hits, and you end up aging another decade in a year worrying about them. This is not going to be an easy year.

We have planned though to take a covid friendly vacation immediately following youngest's  commencement. We have it all booked. Cabins out west, Rapid City and Bozeman (closest to Yellowstone we could afford), camping our way out there, taking our telescope for night sky viewing. The first week of May being off season, we hope to avoid crowds since it will still be cold. Lots of outdoor activity, and cooking all our own food so no restaurants, and either just one person doing grocery/supply shopping or if possible, using curbside pick up if still available.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

😡 But yeah, so I have to stay home so the unvaxxed snowflakes don't get their feelings hurt by being asked if they've done their part for community health. (And if they haven't,  why aren't THEY the ones staying home? Why is their fear of a safe vaccine being prioritized over my fear of catching - and spreading to my even older loved ones - a deadly disease?!)

So yeah, I'm pissed.  And I'm in a state where people are more cautious overall (but still no mask mandate 🙄).  If I were in Texas, I'd be planning my escape, and finding an adjective other than 'proud' to express my feelings about it... 😬

This! I am not pleased that we responsible people have to rein in our lives and the people who don't give a damn run free. There should be formal consequences for the behavior. Huge fines for not being masked, and things like gyms, concerts, sporting events, off limits.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

That's a lot later than when people your age got their shots in Israel. So you're probably fine for now. You'll need boosters in a bit, that's all. 

Nope. My niece who got it after me is sick with Covid right now. Now granted, she went to a giant fish camp with thousands of kids, but still. 

9 hours ago, TCB said:

I keep thinking about how this is going to look in the history books. If he won’t mandate it, if he was a decent person he would be begging people to do those things voluntarily. 

I still don't understand what they are gaining by forbidding any kind of rules or mandates.  Not declaring them themselves, sure.  But to forbid them seems super odd and I can't figure out the rationale.  Especially since it seems to be losing them at least some of their base as more people get sick.  

Dh is 65 so I'm definitely worried but he is very good about masking whenever he's anywhere around other people, even just a couple people at work.   

We are going out to dinner Thursday as a late dinner for dd's birthday.  It will only be the third time I've eaten in a restaurant in the past year and a half, and I'm a little bit leary.   But our numbers are still pretty good and we're going early enough that it shouldn't be busy, on a weekday so shouldn't be busy and a location that tends to be pretty quiet anyway.    We are all fully vaccinated, with dh the one who completed his first, but I think it was April or May before he was done.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I still don't understand what they are gaining by forbidding any kind of rules or mandates.

My guess would be scoring political points with the anti-mask crowd. He must think they're an important demographic. 

What I can't get over is how self-defeating this strategy is, over the long term. As you point out, they are literally endangering the lives of their own supporters (not to mention everyone else in the region).

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

My guess would be scoring political points with the anti-mask crowd. He must think they're an important demographic. 

What I can't get over is how self-defeating this strategy is, over the long term. As you point out, they are literally endangering the lives of their own supporters (not to mention everyone else in the region).

Yes.  Here is the problem. He has two people challenging him for governor that think he took away constitutional rights at the beginning of the pandemic.  They are Trumpies and feel like Abbott has not been open enough.  Our state is doomed when ABBOTT  looks like the most reasonable candidate...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5

8 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Yes.  Here is the problem. He has two people challenging him for governor that think he took away constitutional rights at the beginning of the pandemic.  They are Trumpies and feel like Abbott has not been open enough.  Our state is doomed when ABBOTT  looks like the most reasonable candidate...

Yeah, that explains it, then.

Musing a bit more... A good, up-to-the-moment definition of "pandering" might include indulging and exploiting your constituents' life-threatening delusions, contrary to all expert opinion and advice.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Nope. My niece who got it after me is sick with Covid right now. Now granted, she went to a giant fish camp with thousands of kids, but still. 

I didn’t say it’d keep you from being infected. That doesn’t work with this variant. But it’d probably keep you from getting super sick.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I still don't understand what they are gaining by forbidding any kind of rules or mandates.  Not declaring them themselves, sure.  But to forbid them seems super odd and I can't figure out the rationale.  Especially since it seems to be losing them at least some of their base as more people get sick.  

They must be seeing polling data showing that these decisions are popular with the particular voters they want/need, especially in primary elections.

The governor of my state (TN just signed an executive order requiring school districts to allow parents to exempt their children from any mask mandate.  The charitable take on this governor is that doesn't like to get too out in front of any issue (I will spare you the less charitable take) so while he is ideologically aligned with the anti-mask, anti-vaccine group it is still a little surprising that he took any action at all.  I am sure he would have preferred to do nothing.   I can only assume that he is worried about a primary challenge from an even further-right candidate (say, for instance, the Speaker of the TN House who is loudly calling for a private school voucher program for anti-mask parents and students) in the next election cycle.

The legality of his executive order is unclear, of course, and the largest urban school district in the state -- where I live -- immediately robocalled all families to announce that that the district-wide mask mandate remains in place.

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, JennyD said:

They must be seeing polling data showing that these decisions are popular with the particular voters they want/need, especially in primary elections.

The governor of my state (TN just signed an executive order requiring school districts to allow parents to exempt their children from any mask mandate.  The charitable take on this governor is that doesn't like to get too out in front of any issue (I will spare you the less charitable take) so while he is ideologically aligned with the anti-mask, anti-vaccine group it is still a little surprising that he took any action at all.  I am sure he would have preferred to do nothing.   I can only assume that he is worried about a primary challenge from an even further-right candidate (say, for instance, the Speaker of the TN House who is loudly calling for a private school voucher program for anti-mask parents and students) in the next election cycle.

The legality of his executive order is unclear, of course, and the largest urban school district in the state -- where I live -- immediately robocalled all families to announce that that the district-wide mask mandate remains in place.

I’m in TN and it is fascinating how the anti-mask/anti-vax crowd here has turned on the governor during the pandemic. They have been all over him for his “suggestions” that never became anything more than advice and for the few restrictions that were put in briefly. So it is interesting. Maybe he thinks he can get some of them back. 

• Like 4

I posted this in the Third Vaccine thread, but thought I should post it here, as well, for anyone who had the J&J vaccine. 

New and encouraging report on J&J vaccine effectiveness:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/06/science/johnson-delta-vaccine-booster.html

The basic gist is that South Africa studied 500,000 healthcare workers who received the J&J vaccine, and the vaccine was shown to be up to 95% effective against death from the Delta variant, and up to 71% effective against hospitalization. The study showed the vaccine was somewhat less effective against the Beta variant, but didn’t list any numbers. When breakthrough infections did occur, they were considered mild in 96% of the cases, and severe illness or death occurred in less than .05%.

The study hasn’t been peer-reviewed yet and the results are considered preliminary, but this is very encouraging news for those of us who received the J&J vaccine. Obviously, these results don’t apply to immunosuppressed people like my dh, but if he happens to be one of the people for whom the vaccine was effective, it’s potentially good news.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Catwoman said:

I posted this in the Third Vaccine thread, but thought I should post it here, as well, for anyone who had the J&J vaccine. 

New and encouraging report on J&J vaccine effectiveness:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/06/science/johnson-delta-vaccine-booster.html

The basic gist is that South Africa studied 500,000 healthcare workers who received the J&J vaccine, and the vaccine was shown to be up to 95% effective against death from the Delta variant, and up to 71% effective against hospitalization. The study showed the vaccine was somewhat less effective against the Beta variant, but didn’t list any numbers. When breakthrough infections did occur, they were considered mild in 96% of the cases, and severe illness or death occurred in less than .05%.

The study hasn’t been peer-reviewed yet and the results are considered preliminary, but this is very encouraging news for those of us who received the J&J vaccine. Obviously, these results don’t apply to immunosuppressed people like my dh, but if he happens to be one of the people for whom the vaccine was effective, it’s potentially good news.

Thank you for posting this! My mother in law, and one of my sons had JnJ because that was all that was available at the time they thought to be vaxed. Maybe I can breathe a little today.

• Like 2

I had a checkup this morning with my nurse practitioner and talked with her about Covid. Her office is once again swamped with people needing tests. She said that of the vaccinated people they have tested who were positive, every one of them had the Pfizer vax. They haven’t had one single person test positive who had the Moderna vax. (She didn’t mention J & J, and I forgot to ask.)

She also said that she believes third shots will be available for all by late September.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Selkie said:

I had a checkup this morning with my nurse practitioner and talked with her about Covid. Her office is once again swamped with people needing tests. She said that of the vaccinated people they have tested who were positive, every one of them had the Pfizer vax. They haven’t had one single person test positive who had the Moderna vax. (She didn’t mention J & J, and I forgot to ask.)

She also said that she believes third shots will be available for all by late September.

Oh, Jeez.  And I was so happy I got Pfizer! 😬

3 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Wow, that is crazy.  I know it isn't a study or anything, but wow.  Upsetting that Pfizer is the only option for kids. 

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

Well, that could also be locale too.  Like both DH and I got pfizer at certain clinic chains and patients that use those chains would have been  more likely to get a Pfizer.  I don't know a ton of people who've had breakthrough cases, but it has been a mix of vaccines.  A bunch of kids had J&J at my kid's college, couple breakthroughs there too.  But  everyone I know who has had a breakthrough has had very minor cases.  Like if covid weren't a thing they wouldn't have been tested or thought anything of their summer cold.   I do know there is some data that makes Moderna better right now.  But meh, who knows if Pfizer does a booster sooner, than that crew may look better off for a while.  I am not sad any more we were on the later end for getting vaccinated!

I saw this going around that 8 months was going to be the booster recommendation for most ... ?  Also recommended boosting for both Pfizer and Moderna.   I guess we will see
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-vaccine-booster-shot-8-months/

• Like 1