Menu

20 in 20 for 2020 Day 2!

Slache

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Got my yoga in.  Might do some more later.   I am currently fighting off a migraine.   Will go walking later.  I want to take some of the kids after they get done with classes and before dance starts.  Plus it will be warmer so that is worth waiting for.

I "liked" your post for your accomplishment, but I'm sorry about the migraine! Hope it departs quickly.

• Like 3

Okay, didn't procrastinate as badly today!  I rowed a progressive 10-minute warm-up (increase spm each minute by 1 for the first 5min, then every 30secs for the last 5min), which pretty consistently gives me about 2000m.  This was our standard warm-up when I did coached winter erg training. Also paddled a bit for cool-down, so 2200m in about 12 min.

Then I did a core and cardio workout (hadn't done much core-focus in a while) and stretching cool-down for another 40 min.  

I'm always good once I get going; it's getting started that for some reason is tough.  So this daily challenge is perfect!  (not banking any miles to make sure I keep a daily habit!)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Toocrazy!! said:

Walked this morning and then did day 2 of #rowvember. If the first two days are anything to go by, it’s going to be quite the challenge. Rowing is so hard for me! 

Have you ever had any training on proper rowing form?  That can make a huge difference to perceived effort and endurance, and prevent injury as well.  Are you just going the mile/day for this 20/20 challenge, or is there a #rowvember challenge that is giving you more to do?  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Have you ever had any training on proper rowing form?  That can make a huge difference to perceived effort and endurance, and prevent injury as well.  Are you just going the mile/day for this 20/20 challenge, or is there a #rowvember challenge that is giving you more to do?  

I haven't had any training per se, but I am using a website called DarkHorse Rowing https://darkhorserowing.com/ that has tons of rowing instructional videos on youtube and all sorts of workouts. I've been doing their instructional videos for the past 6 months or so, and various workouts. I think my form is OK most of the time. I understand what I'm supposed to be doing. They have a rowvember challenge with different workouts each day. I think they're just hard for my level of fitness. Today was a 30 minute workout 6 min at 18 SPM, 3 at 20 SPM and 1 at 22, repeated 3 times. I took some breaks:) 

I will say, taking the dogs and kids on the walk was nice family bonding, but meant that i never got going fast enough or kept going fast enough to get my apple watch to count it as exercise 😞

Also, I end up pushing the stroller with my right hand, and dog leashes in my left,  and pushing with the same hand the whole time messed up my back a bit - going uphill it was noticeable I was twisting a bit. lame. I was trying to keep left hand swinging as I wasn't sure how well the apple watch would record my steps if I used my left hand to push the stroller. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toocrazy!! said:

I haven't had any training per se, but I am using a website called DarkHorse Rowing https://darkhorserowing.com/ that has tons of rowing instructional videos on youtube and all sorts of workouts. I've been doing their instructional videos for the past 6 months or so, and various workouts. I think my form is OK most of the time. I understand what I'm supposed to be doing. They have a rowvember challenge with different workouts each day. I think they're just hard for my level of fitness. Today was a 30 minute workout 6 min at 18 SPM, 3 at 20 SPM and 1 at 22, repeated 3 times. I took some breaks:) 

That is long!  I've been getting the email 'daily workouts' from Concept 2 (who makes my rower) but I haven't really been doing them.  I'm going to try some longer and shorter rows; but I also want to make sure I keep up strength training.

Yesterday when I did my ~3300m I did 600m at 22, then 1000 at 25, then back to 22-ish for a while, then back up to 25 - took me about 17min total.  In non-Covid times I row on the water in the summer; it took years to build up to where I am now (the first year I did winter training I literally got off and lay on the floor between sets - people were worried 😂) and I want to make sure I keep up both my pressure (like splits) and endurance...   rowing can definitely be challenging.  Even now my heart rate gets and stays quite high while on the rowing machine (I honestly vastly prefer rowing in a shell... but that's not something I can do year-round even without Covid restrictions 😞 ).  Anyway, keep at it!  You will build endurance. 🙂 

The 10 min progressive warm-up I did today started at 16 and ends at 30.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

Day 2 done. Got my 1 mile walk in after school, which is the habit I want to cultivate. I did notice that we're just under a mile if I don't do an extra little loop, so I need to either do that loop or I'll measure one more slight variation tomorrow that should get me over a mile for sure. Today we just walked a little past the house and then backtracked to get to 1 mile.

• Like 8

Day 2 done. Did a 1 mile loop with dd12 right before the sun set. Ds15 joined us. He first asked, "Why are you going on a walk if only for a mile?" But dd12 set him straight, saying, "We are going for only a mile so we can't say we don't have enough time or it is too cold."

Refreshing and nice. I think I saw a friend. She waved, but was too bundled up, with hat and mask, to recognize for sure. 

Emily

• Like 7

I walked with DD8 today. She wanted to keep going and jogged a lap after I stopped. She's done a HS running club at this place the last few years, which she loves. We had a great time. The weather was gorgeous today.

I'm going to have to wait until my husband+sons/baby-sitters are back. My knees and feet hurt again because I was walking on flat ground. It's been awhile since I've done that, and while the pain wasn't bad, it was there and uncomfortable. I need to get back to incline treadmill walking. 

• Like 3

Howdy.  I did run some on day 2, but not a whole mile, because of other things I had to do + the need to get up at 4am Tuesday.  I will make it up later in the week.  (I did walk / run a total of 3+ miles, but I bumped it up to 4 miles, because I also spent 2+ hours standing & doing physical work.)

• Like 1

I didn't get a chance to post yesterday but dh went with me for a 1.16 mile walk. 

17 hours ago, ktgrok said:

outside today! We had a cold front come through so the high was around 70 today instead of around 90 like it has been and we took advantage of it! VERY windy, but sunny and gorgeous!

Yes! We walked out the door and walked right back in to put long sleeved shirts on. It was gorgeous but that wind made it feel a bit chilly. I was so excited to be able to walk outside and actually enjoy the weather. 

• Like 1