Menu

Personal covid experiences

Terabith

9 minutes ago, Terabith said:

The "is it covid or is it allergies" dilemma has been real here.  Ragweed was very high here a couple weeks ago, and all of us had some levels of congestion.  Hopefully it's just something like that.  Just because there's a pandemic doesn't mean allergies and colds go away.  

I know, right? I'm constantly sneezing. And I've now started occasionally coughing, although I think it's because I'm eating a different kind of yogurt that irritates my throat. 

I don't have a fever, I cough rarely, and I'm not congested, but it's still nerve-wracking, especially since our pod contains my in-laws. Ugh. 

• Like 1

So the family whose daughter is positive and was exposed to someone whose test results got messed up...the only two other family members with symptoms have tested negative, and the symptoms have been mild and like allergies, which they have. They are still avoiding the positive daughter, and she's had allergy-like symptoms only. They are wondering about a false positive from a rapid test, I think. It sounds like they plan to stay careful. 

• Like 2

Well, covid hit here dramatically this last week or so. I personally know 7 people who have active cases right now. At least 6 have loss of smell. Only one had a fever.

87 year old man, a fib, completely exhausted. Completely. But otherwise no complications at this point. He’s ok day 7 or 8 of symptoms we think. Hard to tell with fatigue. 

59 year old male, asymptomatic except for slight loss of smell 

54 year old female, history of cancer but good health now- Aches, headache, loss of smell, fatigue

54 female- same. 15 days out, still exhausted. 

59 male, diabetic, aches, headache, some sugar issues, but under control 

48 male, overweight, maybe obese, no other issues, loss of smell only so far. 

51 female, no health issues, aches, sore throat, very early on in symptoms 

It’s crazy here right now. Everyone seemed to get it all at once, so it’s hard to figure out any tracing on how it started. 

• Sad 6

On 11/12/2020 at 6:23 PM, IfIOnly said:

The weird thing is ds has lost all taste and smell. He's eating raw onions and lemons for fun. This kid has a strong gag reflex, and there's no way it's not legit.

With that total a loss of taste and smell without congestion you need assume it is Covid. 1 in 3 tests is a false negative. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

With that total a loss of taste and smell without congestion you need assume it is Covid. 1 in 3 tests is a false negative. 

Thanks.

If I'd known about the false negatives though, I'd have just stayed home and not bothered with testing and waiting for results. Honestly, we just really wanted, more needed, to make that doctor's appointment and also wanted to see if we needed to quarantine longer than our normal cold/flu time. I'm still confused about how long to quarantine. 

The other weird thing also is we have our little pod of friends that we're getting together with and none of them got sick. My kids spent hours with two families the day before symptoms hit. This was 8 days ago.

And sorry if not isolating ourselves offends anyone, but 8 months (since March) without contact with loved ones is obviously not happening here.

My friend (mid 40's, healthy) and her two teen aged daughters all have covid.  They were very careful, but an extended family member who believes it's all a hoax refused to wear a mask around them.  They were masked, but they got sick.  (He developed symptoms the night after their outdoor, distanced get together.)  They all have fevers, chills, body aches, sore throats, tired.  Mom has no taste or smell (ordered Thai food the spiciest they could make it and didn't taste a thing) and some vascular stuff in fingers and toes.  

• Sad 9

10 hours ago, Terabith said:

The "is it covid or is it allergies" dilemma has been real here.  Ragweed was very high here a couple weeks ago, and all of us had some levels of congestion.  Hopefully it's just something like that.  Just because there's a pandemic doesn't mean allergies and colds go away.  

Yep. My throat has been scratchy for about 24 hours.  It's probably allergies combined with all the reading aloud I have been doing.  But then my brain goes to The Scary Place, and I wonder if I need a cough drop or a covid test. 😕 

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, Terabith said:

They were masked, but they got sick.  (He developed symptoms the night after their outdoor, distanced get together.)  They all have fevers, chills, body aches, sore throats, tired.  Mom has no taste or smell (ordered Thai food the spiciest they could make it and didn't taste a thing) and some vascular stuff in fingers and toes.  

l also now know a number of people who got sick despite being outdoors, masked, distanced gatherings — even when all people were masked. But the ones I know had much milder cases as if all of distance + outdoors + masks did help to reduce severity ( but too few people and too anecdotal to be extremely meaningful ... )   It seems like if there’s a Spreader present it spreads — even with lots of precautions  ...  whereas on other hand I know quite a few families now where one person had it and no one else caught it even indoors, close, extended time, no masks.

I hope your friend and friend family will all recover quickly. 

10 minutes ago, Pen said:

l also now know a number of people who got sick despite being outdoors, masked, distanced gatherings — even when all people were masked. But the ones I know had much milder cases as if all of distance + outdoors + masks did help to reduce severity ( but too few people and too anecdotal to be extremely meaningful ... )   It seems like if there’s a Spreader present it spreads — even with lots of precautions  ...  whereas on other hand I know quite a few families now where one person had it and no one else caught it even indoors, close, extended time, no masks.

I hope your friend and friend family will all recover quickly. 

Yeah, it would be lovely if we could figure out who those spreaders were in advance, but it seems that though they aren't super-common among people with the illness, they also don't tend to be the person you'd suspect, but rather someone either asymptomatic, presymptomatic, or with mild enough symptoms to think it's probably not Covid.   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Terabith said:

My friend (mid 40's, healthy) and her two teen aged daughters all have covid.  They were very careful, but an extended family member who believes it's all a hoax refused to wear a mask around them.  They were masked, but they got sick.  (He developed symptoms the night after their outdoor, distanced get together.)  They all have fevers, chills, body aches, sore throats, tired.  Mom has no taste or smell (ordered Thai food the spiciest they could make it and didn't taste a thing) and some vascular stuff in fingers and toes.  

Oh, I'm sorry 😞 . Keep us updated on how they do. 

40 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Yeah, it would be lovely if we could figure out who those spreaders were in advance, but it seems that though they aren't super-common among people with the illness, they also don't tend to be the person you'd suspect, but rather someone either asymptomatic, presymptomatic, or with mild enough symptoms to think it's probably not Covid.   

probably if “expected” either the obviously very sick person would  know to stay away from others, or more people would stay well clear 😷 of the person who seems clearly  sick 🤒    

Also it’s the people who are asymptomatic or very mild who are going places 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

probably if “expected” either the obviously very sick person would  know to stay away from others, or more people would stay well clear 😷 of the person who seems clearly  sick 🤒    

Also it’s the people who are asymptomatic or very mild who are going places 

Yeah, and we're still relying far too much on the very-human and normal instinct to stay away from 'sick' people, but to think that if someone appears healthy, especially if they are a friend or family, they are 'safe'.  I'll admit to having those very same feelings and having to remind myself that's not really the way things work.  It's fighting against a very basic human instinct that usually serves us well...

• Like 10

A bunch of people I know have it or have had it very recently.  My parents have it, both mild cases (very mild for mom).  They’re mid-60s.  An older couple we know has it.  They’re both in their 70s.  Idk how bad their symptoms were but neither required medical attention and they were mostly recovered after a week.  I know a couple young adults who have it currently, several people in their 30s and 40s, a 50s, another 60s, and several kids.  All mild to moderate cases.

• Like 3

Just now, caedmyn said:

A bunch of people I know have it or have had it very recently.  My parents have it, both mild cases (very mild for mom).  They’re mid-60s.  An older couple we know has it.  They’re both in their 70s.  Idk how bad their symptoms were but neither required medical attention and they were mostly recovered after a week.  I know a couple young adults who have it currently, several people in their 30s and 40s, a 50s, another 60s, and several kids.  All mild to moderate cases.

I'm glad most people you know have mild cases!! 

We're all done isolating here (I'm now three weeks post having gotten sick) and it really was pretty mild for everyone.  My DD ended up losing some degree of taste and smell and hasn't gotten it back yet.  My sense of smell was only gone 5 days! I have an occasional lingering bit of cough and slightly uncomfortable feeling in my lungs, but it's not much beyond an annoyance.  We never did figure out how we got it, and as far as we know we didn't get anyone outside of our household sick (we checked in with people we might have exposed and it sounds like they have all stayed healthy).

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, kirstenhill said:

We're all done isolating here (I'm now three weeks post having gotten sick) and it really was pretty mild for everyone.  My DD ended up losing some degree of taste and smell and hasn't gotten it back yet.  My sense of smell was only gone 5 days! I have an occasional lingering bit of cough and slightly uncomfortable feeling in my lungs, but it's not much beyond an annoyance.  We never did figure out how we got it, and as far as we know we didn't get anyone outside of our household sick (we checked in with people we might have exposed and it sounds like they have all stayed healthy).

I’m glad it was mild for all of you!!

I tested positive on Monday, five days after exposure to my son who's test came back Sunday.  I didn't really feel clearly sick at the time although I was tired and had a smashing headache unlike any I've ever felt before.   Results on Tuesday.  Only myself and my 6 year old daughter were positive. My husband and other 5 kids living at home were negative. The two of us are isolating and I think everyone else is getting retested in Monday.  

For Tuesday and Wednesday I really felt fine. Headache was gone and I was stir crazy but playing with my daughter and doing school with her etc.   Wednesday night I had some diarrhea  Thursday I began coughing, definitely dry.  Friday it was a more productive cough, but less frequent, and I was super tired.  Today I woke up so tired/exhausted I couldn't even sit up in bed to knit etc.  I also realized that breakfast didn't taste good and tried to smell an orange. Nope. Couldn't smell it. Opened some EO bottles and nothing. Not a thing.   Craziest weirdest feeling to be eating and feeling all the normal textures but no taste.  My daughter feels fine. Complained of a headache at bed time last night but her normal chipper self all day today.  I feel better this afternoon and can sit up now.    So very not happy to have caught this. I have asthma and am so worried about my lungs. But today they feel totally fine.  No coughing today and I can breathe deeply with no resistance or anything. O2 is above 95/96 every time I check it.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, kirstenhill said:

Day 8 since symptoms started and same. My first symptom was a pressure in my chest, like someone was sitting on it. It was the weirdest thing, and I've never experienced that before. Then and hour or two later the room started to spin and I started feeling like I was getting the flu. I basically just have the chest stuff now. My energy has started to come back.

I'm still putting oil of oregano (antiviral and antibacterial -not an essential oil) all over my chest at night and so inhaling the oil as well. Will keep at this until the chest stuff is gone.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2020 at 4:41 PM, IfIOnly said:

And sorry if not isolating ourselves offends anyone, but 8 months (since March) without contact with loved ones is obviously not happening here.

I think most people understand it isn't healthy to not totally isolate and that we all have to make hard decisions. You don't need to apologize.

I think some of us end up venting because of crazy things like screaming at retail employees because you refuse to wear a mask for 30 minutes while shopping, getting a positive test but refusing to isolate, bar hopping from one place to another, and generally people sticking their head in the sand and saying it's all a hoax.  It is healthy for kids to play with friends. My friends have one other family that has shut down most of their life too and they are sledding with them today. We did decide outside only and only with 2 families so it's not like we are ready to spread it near and far uncaringly but we also can't take keeping the hospitals under capacity by ourselves. If everyone would help some it would work a lot better. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, frogger said:

I think most people understand it isn't healthy to not totally isolate and that we all have to make hard decisions. You don't need to apologize.

I think some of us end up venting because of crazy things like screaming at retail employees because you refuse to wear a mask for 30 minutes while shopping, getting a positive test but refusing to isolate, bar hopping from one place to another, and generally people sticking their head in the sand and saying it's all a hoax.  It is healthy for kids to play with friends. My friends have one other family that has shut down most of their life too and they are sledding with them today. We did decide outside only and only with 2 families so it's not like we are ready to spread it near and far uncaringly but we also can't take keeping the hospitals under capacity by ourselves. If everyone would help some it would work a lot better. 

I think this is reasonable approach. We're in a well-mandated and masked state, and I've never heard anyone even hint to isolate ourselves for 8 months. I don't think that's healthy unless you consider yourself or any loved ones you come in contact with among the most vulnerable. There are some pretty extreme positions on these boards though, more extreme than most or even all of the health authorities I'm hearing from anyway. It's difficult to navigate for all of us, I'm sure.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, IfIOnly said:

I think this is reasonable approach. We're in a well-mandated and masked state, and I've never heard anyone even hint to isolate ourselves for 8 months. I don't think that's healthy unless you consider yourself or any loved ones you come in contact with among the most vulnerable. There are some pretty extreme positions on these boards though, more extreme than most or even all of the health authorities I'm hearing from anyway. It's difficult to navigate for all of us, I'm sure.

We haven’t had play dates and we don’t go inside. But we’re podding with our in-laws... is that extreme?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IfIOnly said:

Yes, there are more extreme positions on this board but I also see some on the other side. I think many who are in between aren't so vocal because we aren't quite sure where the line should be drawn.

TBH I did way more stuff over the summer. We always masked but I knew this surge was coming and wanted my kids to do stuff in the summer when they could. If we even knew a contact had a contact we'd drop stuff until it was sorted out so we did do a couple out right quarantines between May and September even with our very very low numbers locally, we did not want to be part of the problem. But kids and young adults aren't supposed to be locked up long term. We can handle a few months now with pretty  strict restrictions.  I feel for those in places where it just never let up. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

We haven’t had play dates and we don’t go inside. But we’re podding with our in-laws... is that extreme?

Oh, boy. I have no desire to be the COVID police or judge. Like at all. I respect what you've decided for your family. 100%. Full stop. 

I'll just say that even the WHO doesn't promote abstinence from getting together. Rather they provide precautions in doing so. Getting together with friends can be done well and safely. Not as bulletproof as abstinence, but safely and carefully with caring for your community at large as well. I believe so anyway.

If COVID-19 is spreading in your community, stay safe by taking some simple precautions, such as physical distancing, wearing a mask, keeping rooms well ventilated, avoiding crowds, cleaning your hands, and coughing into a bent elbow or tissue. Check local advice where you live and work. Do it all!

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

• Like 1

Just now, IfIOnly said:

Oh, boy. I have no desire to be the COVID police or judge. Like at all. I respect what you've decided for your family. 100%. Full stop. 

I'll just say that even the WHO doesn't promote abstinence from getting together. Rather they provide precautions in doing so. Getting together with friends can be done well and safely. Not as bulletproof as abstinence, but safely and carefully with caring for your community at large as well. I believe so anyway.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

I figure my chance of catching COVID is least this way, and we aren’t having mental health issues. If we were, I’d balance this differently. But I haven’t felt like I know enough to risk it.

I figure the WHO doesn’t promote it because it doesn’t think people would do it. But that doesn’t change my assessment that if my goal is not to catch it, this is what I should do.

My goals may change as we learn more, though. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I figure my chance of catching COVID is least this way, and we aren’t having mental health issues. If we were, I’d balance this differently. But I haven’t felt like I know enough to risk it.

I figure the WHO doesn’t promote it because it doesn’t think people would do it. But that doesn’t change my assessment that if my goal is not to catch it, this is what I should do.

I get that, especially having parents your podding with. And having grandpa and grandma for your kids is HUGE. I'm jealous of people who have grands close by anytime (well, would only want great grands and just one grand in my case 😬), but in these times? Sigh. I'll just say I'm very happy for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

And when I said extreme I mean judging others also. I don't think you hold everyone to your standard. You should do what makes you feel comfortable. You also have younger children which makes it easier. My kids were a lot happier in elementary school to stay home more. We are all in different circumstances and I think MOST of us understand that. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kand said:

I hope you feel better soon @busymama7

Thank you.  This morning was so rough but tonight I feel so much better.  Pretty much done even feel sick.  I'm a little tired.  Weirdly enough, some of my smell and taste is coming back already. I would think I was crazy if it wasn't me experiencing it.  Not all by any means but I can smell clove oil and a couple others I've tried and taste sour.  Sour candy is helping because even drinking water is super weird and gross.  When I can't take it anymore I suck on some sour candy. And it's sour! Because I can't taste the sweet.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

It's so hard to compare because we're all coming from areas where things are handled so differently, and have different personal needs. 

I live where masking is still close to 100% in any public places.  So going out to stores, etc. isn't as concerning as it would be in places where few people mask and numbers are very high.   We still aren't eating out but dh and I both go to work where we are around other people, all masked and mostly distanced.  

If we lived with vulnerable family members, we would probably take additional precautions to lower the chances even more.  

If I lived in one of the places with no/few masks and super crazy spread, I'd probably not leave my house for any reason. 

• Like 1

My 22 yo ds called me this morning and informed me that he will be getting tested tomorrow. One of his housemates is positive with mild symptoms. He shares a small rental house with three other people. It is him, two friends and a girlfriend of one friend; all recent college grads. 

They have been pretty careful, just sticking to themselves socially. Three of the four work remotely from the house. The one who goes out to work is the one who got it. He is also the one with the live in girlfriend. So far the girlfriend has tested negative and the other two guys are getting tested in the morning. 

They all figure they are very exposed at this point. It's a small house and they do almost everything together. Instead of leaving and going to their parents' houses they are all just hunkering down in the house. They had each planned to go home for Thanksgiving but now they are planning their own holiday there together. 

I'm not terribly worried but of course I am some. It really felt like a matter of time before one of us got it.  I do feel a little vindicated in canceling my extended family Thanksgiving get together. I was willing to have my own adult children come home and risk exposure but I didn't want to expose anyone else to them and I didn't really want to expose my family to all the young adults coming in from all over. This is exactly the scenario I envisioned being dangerous and putting me at risk of hosting a superspreader event. 

So, we will wait and see. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

My niece and her family have it. She's my only blood niece (my only sibling's only child) and my mother and I mostly raised her. She's the daughter I never had. Anyway, that was just to show how important she is to me.

They think her husband brought it home from work. He works for a lawn care company (national chain) so it's mostly outdoor work but they have to go into the office twice a day - at the beginning and end of each shift. A number of people from his work had it but they weren't letting the other employees know until two people were hospitalized.

On a Wed, night in the middle of dinner her dh said he suddenly couldn't taste anything. My niece said he should get tested but he was resisting because he was afraid of losing his pay. The next day she lost her sense of taste and went and got tested. She was positive and that convinced him to also get tested - positive of course. 

They all had bad cold symptoms but not unbearable. They didn't get the kids tested because they figured if they both have it and the kids had the same symptoms they had it too. The kids oddly, didn't lose their sense of taste or smell.

I went and picked up groceries for her. She did curbside pickup and was going to go herself but I reminded her that they sometimes come to your car window to ask or tell you something. She didn't want to take a chance on passing Covid so she let me go get them. I just put them at her front door and texted her when I got back in the car so we wouldn't have any contact. 

On the loss of taste and smell - She said it's really weird and like nothing she's ever experienced. She said it's not like when you have a cold and are stuffed up, therefore you can't taste or smell anything. She said she could breathe clearly yet smelled nothing. Not even the overdue to be emptied cat box. The weird part, she says, is how you can breathe clearly while those senses are completely gone.

According to the health dept. they can stop quarantining the 17th but if they still have symptoms should give it another 24-48 hours. 

Editing to say her husband it getting full pay from the company while he's in quarantine.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Sad 10

Ok so I spoke way too soon. I just get back and forth a lot between just tired and so exhausted I can't sit up even. Headache is coming back but then leaves.  I wish I had some idea of what to expect as far as when I will feel better but it's pretty clear that it is just so different for everyone.  

• Sad 16

Just now, busymama7 said:

Ok so I spoke way too soon. I just get back and forth a lot between just tired and so exhausted I can't sit up even. Headache is coming back but then leaves.  I wish I had some idea of what to expect as far as when I will feel better but it's pretty clear that it is just so different for everyone.  

I hope you feel better soon. And yeah, after having maintained this thread for this entire pandemic, I am fully sure only that I have no clue what the course of a single infection will be 😞 . 

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2020 at 8:41 PM, IfIOnly said:

I am not offended, but I don't know that it is obvious that people can't isolate this long, or wear masks around others. 

22 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

I think this is reasonable approach. We're in a well-mandated and masked state, and I've never heard anyone even hint to isolate ourselves for 8 months.

Most health officials are saying it is spreading via small get togethers. So yeah, they are saying not to do that or to be masked/distanced when you do. 

image.png.a0d1c7d6c3c0efeaa8bd7a1a4b8b1eaa.png

• Like 7

Despite my dentist's office having a covid outbreak back in late March/early April, despite the rising numbers, despite all the medical advice saying "Don't hold gatherings"...my dentist just posted a bunch of pictures of their wedding reception.  Not a mask in sight, the entire staff there, and at least 50 people in attendance inside (I would guess probably more were there, but that's all I could see from the picture).  

I know that the practice manager had kicked up a fuss with the dental board, saying it was an unfair cost burden to expect dentists to wear N95 masks. 

I can't reconcile the idea of being a health care provider and also ignoring all the public health advice about covid. Guess we'll be looking for a new dentist. 

• Sad 24

I learned yesterday that my aunt is in hospice. Apparently, she was CV19 positive and in the hospital for two weeks. (She is not a family member I know well, hence the long time frame before I found out.) She had recovered from Covid but stopped eating. She is in her 80s and has had Alzheimer's for years. My uncle has been heartbroken that he has not been able to be with her for months due to care center restrictions.

Edited by iamonlyone
  • Sad 13

7 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I am sort of shocked at the number of times that people are saying that they know someone with covid but that person isnt bothering to get their children tested. 

Well, because the kid has to quarantine anyway. And it can be a big hassel to get tested -with hour plus waits in many places if you go without an appointment and take a week to get an appointment if you use one. And the test is fairly unpleasant for the kid, and won't change that they have to quarantine anyway. And if mom and dad are sick, driving the kid somewhere to wait around for an hour to get the kid tested when it won't change anything is well...not appealing. 

• Like 9

Often there is not contact tracing anyway. And often the turnaround on testing is several days.  It makes it a lot less of a public good.  Though that is disappointing, it can make it seem like there is less of a purpose.  

Also there are times people are told it’s not necessary to test if they are quarantined anyway with no symptoms. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I am sort of shocked at the number of times that people are saying that they know someone with covid but that person isnt bothering to get their children tested. 

What Ktgrok and Lecka said.   We wouldn't get our kids tested if dh or I was positive because they would be quarantining with us anyway.   They don't leave the house very often as it is, and all of their contacts are also contacts of dh or I (mostly me) so it wouldn't matter for contact tracing. 

In addition, my son is autistic with sensory processing disorder.  I was tested a few weeks back.  I couldn't imagine having him get that test.  He'd be flipping out for the rest of the day.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Well, because the kid has to quarantine anyway. And it can be a big hassel to get tested -with hour plus waits in many places if you go without an appointment and take a week to get an appointment if you use one. And the test is fairly unpleasant for the kid, and won't change that they have to quarantine anyway. And if mom and dad are sick, driving the kid somewhere to wait around for an hour to get the kid tested when it won't change anything is well...not appealing. 

All of this. 

In my niece's case, the older kids (12yo twins) were virtual schooling so they hadn't had contact with anyone their parents hadn't also had contact with. And there's no reason to put the three year old through the test knowing he'd be quarantining with the rest of the family anyway.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I am not offended, but I don't know that it is obvious that people can't isolate this long, or wear masks around others. 

Most health officials are saying it is spreading via small get togethers. So yeah, they are saying not to do that or to be masked/distanced when you do. 

image.png.a0d1c7d6c3c0efeaa8bd7a1a4b8b1eaa.png

And this visual is how we wound up only being able to pod with our in-laws, which is genuinely a pod — no one is going anywhere. (My SIL went to some doctor’s appointments, I guess, which isn’t great, but at least those are short term and masked interactions.) We were very aware that “pods” don’t work when they aren’t exclusive.