Menu

Personal covid experiences

Terabith

32 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I don’t have firsthand information about that. Some people are colonized with strep (or other bacteria) that go wild if they are tired/rundown/stressed or get another illness. 

Yes - strep is opportunistic.  We took DD14 in to get tested for strep and Covid. She was Covid negative but strep positive. The pediatrician said he’d had two kids last week test positive for both. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

I don’t have firsthand information about that. Some people are colonized with strep (or other bacteria) that go wild if they are tired/rundown/stressed or get another illness. 

My oldest is like this - since she was a little thing. She'd catch one bug and have strep throat soon behind, or get really busy and overtired... and BAM! strep.

Was almost constant for years and then... it just stopped! She hasn't had strep (knock on wood) for any of her young adult years after a lifetime of it!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, kbutton said:

From what I understand covid kind of damages the epithelial cells (?)   They are kind of like the “skin” of the internal organs.  So maybe the strep bacterial could get through more easily once they were damaged?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

From what I understand covid kind of damages the epithelial cells (?)   They are kind of like the “skin” of the internal organs.  So maybe the strep bacterial could get through more easily once they were damaged?

That makes a lot of sense. 

Strep is nothing to mess around with, that's for sure!

I had a pretty much symptom free day today, day 12.  I am a little tired but nothing like last week.  And my heart rate is a little high. But I really do feel almost completely fine.  I have asthma and fibromyalgia and I honestly expected this to be much worse for me if I got it.  I am very very thankful.   I am still concerned that I will have more fatigue issues going forward but I'm trying not to borrow trouble and just be grateful that I seem to have made it to the other side of this without a severe case.  Taste and smell were only gone for 2 days and then partial for a few more.  Seem normal now.  

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2020 at 9:48 PM, kbutton said:

So, my parent's cousin is not doing well. He has double-pneumonia, and his kidneys are failing. Obviously, people have this happen and go home weeks and months later, but he has long-standing kidney issues. I think I said elsewhere in the thread, but he is 85. 

He passed away earlier this evening. He would've been a bit lost without his wife, but it's so sad for their kids and grandkids that both are gone. 

• Sad 34

19 hours ago, busymama7 said:

I had a pretty much symptom free day today, day 12.  I am a little tired but nothing like last week.  And my heart rate is a little high. But I really do feel almost completely fine.  I have asthma and fibromyalgia and I honestly expected this to be much worse for me if I got it.  I am very very thankful.   I am still concerned that I will have more fatigue issues going forward but I'm trying not to borrow trouble and just be grateful that I seem to have made it to the other side of this without a severe case.  Taste and smell were only gone for 2 days and then partial for a few more.  Seem normal now.  

That’s good to hear!! 

• Like 1

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

I’m really sorry 😞 

There are family members closer to them than I was, but it is sad. My parents saw them just before they left to go south and said they looked very healthy and happy. Part of the sad is that a number of cousins, like them, have been doing more together with my parents and others in the family in recent years because they are retired and less busy. These particular cousins were not around a lot when I was growing up; for me, the sad part is that I was just getting to know them better.

• Sad 8

Just now, Ordinary Shoes said:

My Dad was hospitalized yesterday. He passed out yesterday evening and my mother called 911. My dad had severe dehydration so they decided to admit him. He's been very fatigued for the last week. His breathing is still fine, thank goodness. They anticipate that he will be released tomorrow. 

My mom began feeling worse last night too. She said she felt very cold and sick to her stomach although she's never had a fever. Her breathing remains fine too. 

My brother-in-law has lost his sense of taste and smell. My sister and niece remain asymptomatic. 

I'm SMH at the idiots planning large Thanksgiving dinners this week with their elderly relatives. 

Also, feeling particularly rage-y at the "meh...coronavirus" post on this forum from a few months ago. 

Oh, I am really sorry. I hope your dad recovers quickly and your mom doesn't get worse. 

I keep getting a sinking feeling every time I get a notification on this thread. Sometimes, it's good news, but often enough, it's really not. And nowadays it's bad news from relatives of people I know well online 😞 . 

• Like 4

I am so scared to have all my family dealing with this at the same time.  We are supposed to be each other’s support systems, not all dealing with an illness at the same time.  

My husband said some heartless things at the time of Hurricane Katrina — basically saying he thought he would be able to deal with what was going on.  I said “well what about your grandmother?”  And then he was like “I didn’t think of that.”  He actually didn’t want to think about his grandmother up on a roof waiting to be rescued!  Let alone a baby or other vulnerable family member.  Well — it was one thing for him to be 20 and say that — I don’t know why people don’t think of it now. But I know my husband didn’t think of it with Hurricane Katrina at first.  But then he did think of it!

• Sad 4

Most of my people I posted about are doing well. 
except the 87 year old, that’s my dad and he’s been hospitalized since Wednesday. He’s getting good reports on his status and progress so far, but he’s got a ways to go yet. His o2 levels got too low. Had some pneumonia by the time he got to the hospital. We were watching him very carefully too. Checking numbers several times a day. 

my 84 year old mom also tested positive, but so far no concerning symptoms for her. It’s hard to tell how far along she is since she didn’t really have symptoms, but we’re guessing maybe she’s on Day 10 or so right now. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

I posted  upthread about my ds and his housemates and my best friend and her dh.

Ds is doing better. Not completely clear of symptoms yet but he says he is improving and is in good spirits. Tommorow will be a week from his positive test. Roomate zero, the first to get sick, is nearly over it he feels. He got his positive a week ago today but he had symptoms a few days before he was tested. His girlfriend, who originally tested negative, is sick now. Not sure if she got tested again but she has textbook symptoms and has been living with the guys the whole time. Roomate #4 remains totally well with a negative test. 

My best friend and her dh are doing okay. The dh is almost sixty and smoked for thirty years though he quit awhile ago. He has some health issues so I was worried about him. He has had symptoms but manageable and has not gotten any worse, at least, a week post positive test. My friend has had no symptoms except one night when she felt feverish for a few hours. 

Outside our immediate friends and family we have worse stories from acquaintances. The father of a friend is in the ICU at a local hospital. My dh has two women he works with whose families are dealing with it. In one family the parents and all three teen boys have it. The dad is hospitalized and has been for a couple weeks. Dh thinks he is about 50 yo. Another coworker of his has been caring for her boyfriend who is also late forties or early fifties. He has gone to the ER three times now. Last time he begged to be admitted but they said his oxygen levels weren't low enough. 

So, in the last week it is really hitting hard here. It is scary but I don't see anyone altering any behaviors and certainly no curbing of Thanksgiving plans. 😞 

• Sad 8

Update on my family: Both parents (80’s) and siblings (50’s) have recovered. All cases were very mild, no respiratory issues. Mostly fatigue and some minor cold symptoms, mom had wicked headaches but then insisted she never felt anything. Typical denial for her. Sister lost her sense of taste and smell but afaik both have returned. Mom actually tested negative, but she tested later than the others and I think missed the window. Her symptoms seem to have generally matched the others.

New story: Best friend's husband was in close contact with a positive coworker. He initially tested negative, but then got sick with classic COVID symptoms and is waiting on testing again. Entire family is quarantining; best friend and teen daughter feel fine so far. Best friend is high risk so I’m nervous. 

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Update on my family: Both parents (80’s) and siblings (50’s) have recovered. All cases were very mild, no respiratory issues. Mostly fatigue and some minor cold symptoms, mom had wicked headaches but then insisted she never felt anything. Typical denial for her. Sister lost her sense of taste and smell but afaik both have returned. Mom actually tested negative, but she tested later than the others and I think missed the window. Her symptoms seem to have generally matched the others.

New story: Best friend's husband was in close contact with a positive coworker. He initially tested negative, but then got sick with classic COVID symptoms and is waiting on testing again. Entire family is quarantining; best friend and teen daughter feel fine so far. Best friend is high risk so I’m nervous. 

I’m really glad they all had mild cases!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I’m really glad they all had mild cases!!

Thanks, me too. Dad is 84, but in excellent health. Still, everyone is aware how fast things can turn at that age.

I forgot to mention that this is the second go around with COVID for best friend's husband. He was very sick back in February and I suspected COVID then; I spoke with him today and he said it feels very much the same now. It seems I’m hearing more and more cases of second infections. 😞 

• Sad 4

1 minute ago, MEmama said:

It seems I’m hearing more and more cases of second infections. 😞 

I had high hopes for either long-term immunity or at least milder second infections, but it's really not sounding like it from anything I've heard. It doesn't seem to be reported on much yet, though, which is a bit unfortunate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2020 at 6:21 PM, Frances said:

My SIL is out of quarantine and back to work. My brother is finally steadily improving. My mom’s care for non-covid related health issues continues to be greatly impacted by being in a hotspot. Right now she has another surgery scheduled for next week, but there is a pretty good chance it will be cancelled either because of the virus or because she won’t be ready to tolerate it. Rather than spend a week or so in the hospital due to her health risks, if she does have it, there will be no hospitalization at all. All of the pre and post op care and monitoring will be done on an outpatient basis. Fortunately, she is back in her senior apartment which would be walking distance from the hospital if she were healthy. And they are allowing family members in to help her. But the hospital and clinics are back to patients and staff only.

My mom had her surgery today. It went as expected,but they ended up admitting her to the hospital due to weakness and taking a long time to come  around afterwards. No one is allowed in to see her.

My brother is experiencing symptoms again and is very weak. He’s someone who spends lots of time lifting weights and doing cardio, so still being so fatigued and weak is very concerning to him. He’s no longer being monitored by his medical home, but plans to call his doctor tomorrow.

• Sad 15

5 minutes ago, Frances said:

My mom had her surgery today. It went as expected,but they ended up admitting her to the hospital due to weakness and taking a long time to come  around afterwards. No one is allowed in to see her.

My brother is experiencing symptoms again and is very weak. He’s someone who spends lots of time lifting weights and doing cardio, so still being so fatigued and weak is very concerning to him. He’s no longer being monitored by his medical home, but plans to call his doctor tomorrow.

I hope your mom gets better soon and doesn't pick anything up in the hospital. 

I'm sorry about your brother 😕 . How long has he been ill? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Frances said:

Almost five weeks. Last week he thought he was over it.

I hate this stupid disease. I can't even tell you how much I hate it. I think about what life will be like in 4 weeks and it's just... a wall. I can't predict anything. For all I know, we'll all be sick. For all I know, one of us will be dead. For all I know, one of us will be disabled. 

Screw this virus. 

• Sad 13

My dd (away at school) was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago now.  She's feeling a lot better -- no more aches and pains and fever.  Her sense of smell and taste are slowly returning.  But she's not sleeping well at all at night -- unusual for her.  It's a very restless, uncomfortable sleep.   And, breathing in through her nose is really painful.  She said it's very similar to accidentally breathing in chlorine when you're in a swimming pool and it stings.  It stings like that for her every time she breathes in through her nose.

• Sad 17

16 hours ago, J-rap said:

My dd (away at school) was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago now.  She's feeling a lot better -- no more aches and pains and fever.  Her sense of smell and taste are slowly returning.  But she's not sleeping well at all at night -- unusual for her.  It's a very restless, uncomfortable sleep.   And, breathing in through her nose is really painful.  She said it's very similar to accidentally breathing in chlorine when you're in a swimming pool and it stings.  It stings like that for her every time she breathes in through her nose.

TWIV has a weekly physician update on the Sunday releases. He talked about using steroids to treat the persistent inflammation in the nose in people who are experiencing long term nasal symptoms on Sunday, 11/22. Maybe it would be worth a listen... Glad her smell is coming back.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

TWIV has a weekly physician update on the Sunday releases. He talked about using steroids to treat the persistent inflammation in the nose in people who are experiencing long term nasal symptoms on Sunday, 11/22. Maybe it would be worth a listen... Glad her smell is coming back.

Interesting -- thanks!  I'll look into that.

My 87 year old dad was released from the hospital yesterday. He is doing well and so happy to be home. He did end up with pneumonia, but seems to be fighting it off. We are so grateful to the health care workers who took such great care of him. 
My 50-ish year old female friends are struggling some. One is still exhausted a month out, the other is still symptomatic 15 days after positive test, probably 20 days post exposure. But no “serious” symptoms for either right now. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I am doing really well.  I had my test on 11/9.  I only have some lingering tiredness. Mostly just need a nap and to go to bed early.  I am surprised but thankful that it did not go to my lungs. I have asthma and it generally does.  It is such a weird virus.  We have a close friend who is hospitalized right now but is improving. 

• Like 15

We finally know someone personally who has had Covid. Ds’ roomie and another friend (both 20 yr old college students). Fortunately, ds was here the week they were both exposed so he just stayed at home for three weeks. Roomie quarantined in their apartment alone, but fortunately the only symptom she had was a loss of taste and smell for a few days. Other friend was pretty sick for two weeks but is fine and back at work now. 

Ds went back to the apartment last week, which was about a week after roomie’s quarantine ended, and both he and roomie were here for Thanksgiving. So, now I’m just hoping they listened to us and cleaned well and that Ds didn’t pick it up via surfaces in the apartment (and didn’t bring it back home to us). He’s home now for at least a week so I feel like I’m counting the days until I can relax about it.

ETA: I have no idea what the current thought process is on how long the virus can survive on surfaces, such as Ds’ apartment. If anyone has any updated information on this, I would appreciate hearing it. I remember early on there was lots of speculating but I’m not sure what they’re saying now.

ETA2: One good thing about all of this is that those are the two friends ds hangs out with the most so they feel safer hanging in the apartment together for at least the next little while. I know there have been reinfections but they seem rare and usually at least a few months apart.

Edited by Joker
  • Like 2

My coworker traveled to CO to see her ailing dad who was in the hospital with pneumonia and complications (other health issues too). He had tested negative twice--at the beginning of symptoms and on entering the hospital. Coworker took care of him in the hospital (nurse response time was very slow due to patient load), always wearing both an N95 and a cloth mask. After 4 days of this, he tested positive and went to ICU--no more visits. He passed away last weekend. Coworker just tested positive yesterday--I was so hoping that wouldn't happen. The last thing her father would have wanted. I know nothing from her personally-just heard it from the department head as I'll be covering for her. First case for someone I know well.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Sad 14

22 minutes ago, Joker said:

ETA: I have no idea what the current thought process is on how long the virus can survive on surfaces, such as Ds’ apartment. If anyone has any updated information on this, I would appreciate hearing it. I remember early on there was lots of speculating but I’m not sure what they’re saying now.

My understanding (from an extended contact who has a PhD in microbiology & a long career in virus research & public health) is that the risk of picking up the virus from surfaces is very low, especially if one practices decent (not obsessive) hand washing. Yes, it can live on surfaces, but it really needs the moisture in respiratory droplets in order to remain viable enough to cause infection. He said that that it's "plausible" that the most vulnerable might pick it up from a surface, but, really, if someone catches it, it's cuz they were in proximity to someone else who has it, with some form of droplet exchange going on.

ETA: I don't remember how long the virus stays viable in the air....I think it might be a few to several hours, so that is a consideration. If you go into a room where an unmasked someone infectious just left, you're at risk. You can probably google for the latest research for length of time re: viability.

Edited by Happy2BaMom
  • Like 4

Our best friends' whole family caught it. The husband has an auto-immune condition, the wife has a major heart condition. He was pretty wiped out, and is still coughing and tired. Her biggest symptom was insomnia, which was new to me. She also battled a migraine for the length of the illness. She got it less severe than the husband. All 4 of their kids caught it and it was mild for them. Overall I'm breathing a big sigh of relief because they were people in my life that I was really concerned about catching it.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Our best friends' whole family caught it. The husband has an auto-immune condition, the wife has a major heart condition. He was pretty wiped out, and is still coughing and tired. Her biggest symptom was insomnia, which was new to me. She also battled a migraine for the length of the illness. She got it less severe than the husband. All 4 of their kids caught it and it was mild for them. Overall I'm breathing a big sigh of relief because they were people in my life that I was really concerned about catching it.

I’m glad they didn’t have bad cases!!

I haven't replied in a bit, but have been following. I know a number of people who have been sick. The most recent highlights the reason people needed to stay home on Thanksgiving. A friend of ours had Thanksgiving dinner with his new wife and their kids, his brother and his family, and his parents. "Everyone had been super careful before, so it was safe." Yesterday, his ex wife started feeling ill (she had been with the children until Thanksgiving) and today she tested positive. So now, this "safe" gathering could get scary pretty quickly. We're hoping and praying that no one else gets sick. 

I have an acquaintance who works from home and only goes out for groceries. She is sick and the health department told her that they're starting to see more cases like that. She's pretty sick, but not hospital sick.

Another friend has 2 adult children that have recently been diagnosed. One works in a store, behind plexiglass with a mask and has been infected. He's not in the hospital, but is pretty ill. His sibling (also roommate) is negative still thankfully and can take care of the brother. 

• Sad 8

1 hour ago, AmandaVT said:

I have an acquaintance who works from home and only goes out for groceries. She is sick and the health department told her that they're starting to see more cases like that. She's pretty sick, but not hospital sick.

Is the idea that she got sick at the grocery? Or what are they seeing? That's worrisome. 

47 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Is the idea that she got sick at the grocery? Or what are they seeing? That's worrisome. 

Yes - exactly. She picked it up at the grocery store and the health department is hearing of more cases that are similar. People working from home, not seeing people for in person visits, but getting ill from being out in shops. Cases in VT are still relatively low compared to some other states, but it's getting worrying here too. We have had a couple of days with over 100 cases statewide and though we're not fully locked down, we've been asked to limit contact outside of our homes.

Just now, AmandaVT said:

Yes - exactly. She picked it up at the grocery store and the health department is hearing of more cases that are similar. People working from home, not seeing people for in person visits, but getting ill from being out in shops. Cases in VT are still relatively low compared to some other states, but it's getting worrying here too. We have had a couple of days with over 100 cases statewide and though we're not fully locked down, we've been asked to limit contact outside of our homes.

Ugh. We haven't been going to stores for this reason. Especially with cases going up (so more virus hovering in indoor spaces), it doesn't seem safe. 

I hope delivery is safe. If I start hearing about people getting it from takeout or groceries, I'll really freak out. (We don't sanitize our groceries, since we haven't heard about anything like that.) 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Was she physically going into the grocery store or having them bring groceries to her car?  I don't go into the stores at all, but have started wearing my mask (since cases have been rising) from the time I get to the store and call for curbside pick-up until I get home and get out of my van.  Sometimes the workers aren't wearing the masks over their noses and are talking to me as they are putting groceries in my car (and breathing on my groceries).

We do still sanitize our groceries (since March) as at least a 1/3 of each order goes to our elderly parents.  Not taking any chances.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

We do still sanitize our groceries (since March) as at least a 1/3 of each order goes to our elderly parents.  Not taking any chances.

I kind of wonder how much good it all does. I've thought about sanitizing the bags, but I'm not sure if that's really a likely vector... wouldn't the fruits and veggies themselves be the problem, and you can't sanitize those? 

I usually throw out the bags and wash my hands after doing so, but I am sure that if the worker getting my fruit had COVID, there'd be some virus on the fruit. And I'm not sure what to do about that 😕 .

6 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I kind of wonder how much good it all does. I've thought about sanitizing the bags, but I'm not sure if that's really a likely vector... wouldn't the fruits and veggies themselves be the problem, and you can't sanitize those? 

I usually throw out the bags and wash my hands after doing so, but I am sure that if the worker getting my fruit had COVID, there'd be some virus on the fruit. And I'm not sure what to do about that 😕 .

Honestly, I've only bought fruit with thick peels or in bags where I figure any virus will long since have dried up since other human hands touch them.  And veggies I cook.  

I grew salad this summer.

I also wear thin 'coin sorting' cotton gloves shopping.  They're not medical grade, but I figure I'm getting my hands much less germy than if I had bare hands, and I still sanitize when I get back to the car.  They're also easy to take off/put back on without ever touching the outside because they have some stretch.  And I can keep them on to use touch screens (why are those still a thing during Covid??? Ewww...)

And we've still been wiping down anything that goes in the fridge or freezer...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Honestly, I've only bought fruit with thick peels or in bags where I figure any virus will long since have dried up since other human hands touch them.  And veggies I cook.  

I grew salad this summer.

I also wear thin 'coin sorting' cotton gloves shopping.  They're not medical grade, but I figure I'm getting my hands much less germy than if I had bare hands, and I still sanitize when I get back to the car.  They're also easy to take off/put back on without ever touching the outside because they have some stretch.  And I can keep them on to use touch screens (why are those still a thing during Covid??? Ewww...)

And we've still been wiping down anything that goes in the fridge or freezer...

Hmmmm. I'll have to think about whether we should make sure to only buy fruit and veggies in boxes. But I do make salad... maybe I should stop for the time being 😕 . Stir fries for veggies? Stir fries ARE good... 

We don't go shopping at all, though. We just get pick up and delivery, because I am NOT setting foot indoors if I don't have to. 

Edited by Not_a_Number

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

Hmmmm. I'll have to think about whether we should make sure to only buy fruit and veggies in boxes. But I do make salad... maybe I should stop for the time being 😕 . Stir fries for veggies? Stir fries ARE good... 

We don't go shopping at all, though. We just get pick up and delivery, because I am NOT setting foot indoors if I don't have to. 

I can get apples and other fruit easily in bags.  I have frozen blueberries (easy to defrost under running water in less than a minute) for breakfast almost every morning.

Veggies are mostly in soups, stews, or stir-frys of various kinds.  Fortunately, I guess, I've never enjoyed making salad, so I've always tried to get them in other ways.  I do use fresh veggies, but even more frozen - so they have to be cooked anyway!