Menu

Personal covid experiences

Terabith

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Didn't you have it over the summer?  If re-infection can happen over that short an interval, that is really concerning.  

I am wondering about this too.

or was previous sickness not confirmed CV19? 

4 minutes ago, DorothyNJ said:

My Covid test came back negative.    So far it seems just my one student positive. 

Oh, I'm really glad! 

I've recently had a sinking feeling every time someone posts on here, lol. I mean, this isn't to discourage people from posting, but enough people know someone who's really sick that my thought is definitely "Oh no, is someone's close relative or friend sick again?" 

56 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Bumping up. I think I saw some people mention knowing others that have contracted it. Come enter things into the thread so you can keep us updated. 

How's everyone else doing? @math teacher

I have gone back to work, but my lungs still hurt when I breathe deeply. I do have enough energy, so that's good. Last night and this morning my throat was sore, but not since this morning, so maybe it was just drainage. I still cough some. 

I plan to finish out my inhalers, then re-evaluate if I think I should get my lungs scanned again. 

Thanks for checking on me.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, math teacher said:

I have gone back to work, but my lungs still hurt when I breathe deeply. I do have enough energy, so that's good. Last night and this morning my throat was sore, but not since this morning, so maybe it was just drainage. I still cough some. 

I plan to finish out my inhalers, then re-evaluate if I think I should get my lungs scanned again. 

Thanks for checking on me.

Thanks for updating us. I am glad you have enough energy! I hope you keep improving. 

• Like 2

It was in the local newspaper that a business has had to shut down because of so many cases.  The owner is my next door neighbor.  DH saw the neighbor getting out of the car yesterday but didn't talk to him any.  I don't know if anyone next door is included in those who are sick, or not.

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

It was in the local newspaper that a business has had to shut down because of so many cases.  The owner is my next door neighbor.  DH saw the neighbor getting out of the car yesterday but didn't talk to him any.  I don't know if anyone next door is included in those who are sick, or not.

Oooh. That's rather close 😞 . 

2 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I didn't post here because I've not have COVID but I saw another thread that we can add what we know of 2nd hand accounts. 

An acquaintance at our old crazy church got COVID in June. She is a physical therapist and got it from a client. I was told she had a pretty bad case and had lingering effects for a couple of months. I heard she had inflammation in her heart and lungs. Her husband got it too but did not have a serious case. They are in their mid-40s and were in good health. 

A co-worker got COVID about a month ago. The whole family got it and they think the wife had it first. They have no idea where she got it. The wife has a lingering cough. My co-worker and his wife were sick for a few days. He was fatigued for about a week. Their daughter had no symptoms. The husband and wife had COVID tests shortly after the wife began having symptoms. They were both positive. They had follow up tests done 2 weeks later and the husband was negative but the wife and daughter were still positive. The wife and daughter had another test 2 days later and they were both negative at that time. The husband had traveled to another state the weekend before his positive test and spent time with friends. None of the friends developed any symptoms. I don't know if the friends were tested though. He didn't know he had COVID when he went on his trip. They are late 30s and the daughter is in elementary school. 

The parents of a friend both died of COVID in May. We're not that close so I don't know that many details. They were both about 70 and in good health. 

The father of a leader in DD's AHG troop died of COVID last week. I don't know any details. 

Thanks! 

Yeah, 2nd hand is fine, as long as you're relatively certain of its veracity. I don't want "this happened to a friend of a friend of a friend of mine" type stories, like they used to do in the "Freaky Stories" show I used to watch as a teen, lol, but other than that, all stories are welcome. 

• Like 1

University of Dallas has a campus outside of Rome, Italy.  They have 78 students studying there this fall and 10 faculty/staff.  The students went through a quarantine before leaving the US and then for two weeks upon arriving in Italy; everyone tested negative.

Then  couple of weeks ago three students reported losing a sense of smell and feeling ill.  Everyone was tested.  Results came back that 52 student (66%) s were positive and 7 staff (70%) were positive.  Two isolation groups were formed--those with positive results and those with negative results.

But.... the Italian health authorities get the results backwards--the positives were negative and vice versa.  So, the smaller group of 26 students and 7 staff were the positive results.  

The three students who were ill have recovered and the remaining 23 students and 7 faculty members have been asymptomatic so far with no fever and high oxygen levels.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

University of Dallas has a campus outside of Rome, Italy.  They have 78 students studying there this fall and 10 faculty/staff.  The students went through a quarantine before leaving the US and then for two weeks upon arriving in Italy; everyone tested negative.

Then  couple of weeks ago three students reported losing a sense of smell and feeling ill.  Everyone was tested.  Results came back that 52 student (66%) s were positive and 7 staff (70%) were positive.  Two isolation groups were formed--those with positive results and those with negative results.

But.... the Italian health authorities get the results backwards--the positives were negative and vice versa.  So, the smaller group of 26 students and 7 staff were the positive results.  

The three students who were ill have recovered and the remaining 23 students and 7 faculty members have been asymptomatic so far with no fever and high oxygen levels.

Wow, getting it backwards is just ridiculous, lol. 

Glad to hear everyone seems OK! 

My friend just posted that her dad is not going to make it.   He is in ICU on a ventilator and has gotten sepsis and it has affected his heart.

He will probably pass tonight.

This is a family friend and my parents were good friends with them and I have stayed in touch with the daughters.

Update:   He passed away a couple of hours ago (8pm or so tonight.)

Edited by DawnM
  • Sad 16

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Wow, getting it backwards is just ridiculous, lol. 

Glad to hear everyone seems OK! 

So, we know that there aren't just problems with reporting in labs in the US--it is happening in Italy also.  I just looked back at my post and realized that I posted it incorrectly--the original testing said 7 staff were positive, but it was actually 3 (which have been asymptomatic).

With a group of 88 who are in close contact (in the same dorm, eating in the same dining hall, traveling together), it is interesting that 3 became symptomatic and 26 have been positive but not symptomatic.  It does make me wonder how wide-spread non-symptomatic cases have been. 

My brother near a hotspot in WI just tested positive and is quite sick. We are awaiting test results for my mom. She is currently in the hospital, we initially thought for complications from her recent surgery, but now maybe Covid too. She was recently hospitalized for over a week for emergency surgery, and he has been with her extensively. First in the hospital, then in his home, then helping her to move back to her senior apartment.

His wife is showing symptoms so will be getting tested. Their daughter lives with them and works at the hospital. They are the three primary helpers for my mom, so I’m very concerned about what will happen because no one will be able to be with her or advocate for her even if she is negative because they are all in quarantine. The hospital is over capacity and her last stay was chaotic due to that. My sister lives right there but won’t do anything, even call her on the phone. And I’m 2000 miles away. I just got off Skype with my niece in a Japan and she is thinking about flying home to help. I’m so stressed and worried.

• Sad 19

2 minutes ago, Frances said:

My brother near a hotspot in WI just tested positive and is quite sick. We are awaiting test results for my mom. She is currently in the hospital, we initially thought for complications from her recent surgery, but now maybe Covid too. She was recently hospitalized for over a week for emergency surgery, and he has been with her extensively. First in the hospital, then in his home, then helping her to move back to her senior apartment.

His wife is showing symptoms so will be getting tested. Their daughter lives with them and works at the hospital. They are the three primary helpers for my mom, so I’m very concerned about what will happen because no one will be able to be with her or advocate for her even if she is negative because they are all in quarantine. The hospital is over capacity and her last stay was chaotic due to that. My sister lives right there but won’t do anything, even call her on the phone. And I’m 2000 miles away. I just got off Skype with my niece in a Japan and she is thinking about flying home to help. I’m so stressed and worried.

Oh, I am SO sorry, @Frances

I know how careful and sensible you've been. This must make you feel so helpless and angry 😕 .

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

My nephew with a severely compromised immune system and his wife both just tested positive. They woke up yesterday and had both lost all sense of smell and taste. We are praying for mild cases, especially for my nephew. 

Oh, I am very sorry to hear that 😞 . Please keep us updated. 

• Thanks 1

The daughter of the owner at my kid's activity tested postive a few days after her mom (daughter's first test was negative).  Still not a "close contact" for us, but I am advising my kids to be more careful (of possibly being an asymptomatic spreader) just in case.  The mom is doing better, walking around like usual though she is technically in quarantine.  Daughter described her symptoms - sounds nasty, but bad cold nasty (so far).  She is only taking Tylenol and water.  Her age is about 50ish.

Her latest note says "it takes 7-10 days for the symptoms to appear."  Has that been everyone's experience?

1 hour ago, SKL said:

Her latest note says "it takes 7-10 days for the symptoms to appear."  Has that been everyone's experience?

I've read the average is about 5 days with the vast majority appearing between 2-12 days.  I have seen some newer studies saying it is longer (like averaging 6-7 days).  That said, I do think this is a harder thing to nail down for covid-19.  When you get the flu it hits you like a bus day 1 typically.  I've heard more people ramp up to worse symptoms with this one. So day 1 and 2 you might be questioning a headache, some fatique, a tickle, etc if you're actually sick.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, FuzzyCatz said:

So day 1 and 2 you might be questioning a headache, some fatique, a tickle, etc if you're actually sick.

Which is making me VERY worried about my mildly stuffed nose, sigh. I went to the doctor last week and we went to the zoo, so it's possible I could have caught something... probably just paranoia, but it's so hard to be sure. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I've read the average is about 5 days with the vast majority appearing between 2-12 days.  I have seen some newer studies saying it is longer (like averaging 6-7 days).  That said, I do think this is a harder thing to nail down for covid-19.  When you get the flu it hits you like a bus day 1 typically.  I've heard more people ramp up to worse symptoms with this one. So day 1 and 2 you might be questioning a headache, some fatique, a tickle, etc if you're actually sick.

I got a call from contact tracing yesterday, alerting me I was exposed October 15. I already knew but she said they’re seeing a lot of people have no symptoms and then get sick on day 11-14 after exposure.  
I fortunately already knew I’d been exposed, because I could have potentially gone a lot of places in the 12 days between exposure and when contact tracing called.  But—person didn’t become ill until the 17th, didn’t test until the 19th, it takes a couple of days to get results, and by the time they even get the numbers and names of those who the person was in contact with, you’re almost at 14 days anyway. 

The biggest issue with Covid-19, that there is little anyone can do anything about, is the asymptomatic spread.  The exposure on October 15 was completely asymptomatic at that point and five people now have tested positive who were in the building that night.  Everyone was masked, as well.

• Sad 9

15 hours ago, Frances said:

My SIL is now positive. My mom’s first Covid test was negative. They will retest if she develops symptoms. They are still waiting for more test results for her, but think it is likely C. diff. Unlike her recent hospital stay, she is not allowed visitors. Previously, one person could be there at a time. My young adult niece who took her to the ER and stayed with her through admitting yesterday is in quarantine because she still lives at home. She actually works at the hospital where my mom is. My SIL is a healthcare worker for the other hospital system there.

• Sad 11

My BIL tested positive this morning. Niece is sick, too, but tested negative. Sister is congested but no other symptoms and has not tested. Here is what I need help with. My mom recently moved in with me. She spent this past Saturday at my sister's house getting more of her stuff to bring to my house. She also sent 3 hours in pretty close contact with BIL while he removed a ceiling fan and installed a new one at her old house. 

Dh called him tonight and he said last Wednesday was the peak of his symptoms. He tested on Sunday. He has no symptoms now. I'm trying to figure things out.  Contagious for how long? What is the news on that? 

I'm really irritated with my mom, who is clueless and goes right up to my son's face to tell him BIL tested positive, knowing she spent all day with him. Then opens my daughter's door to tell her. So clueless. Mom is 72 and my husband has lowered immunity plus he's trying to heal a broken neck(2020! #$%@)

Any advice?

Edited by AbcdeDooDah
Missing word
  • Sad 5

33 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

My BIL tested positive this morning. Niece is sick, too, but tested negative. Sister is congested but no other symptoms and has not tested. Here is what I need help with. My mom recently moved in with me. She spent this past Saturday at my sister's house getting more of her stuff to bring to my house. She also sent 3 hours in pretty close contact with BIL while he removed a ceiling fan and installed a new one at her old house. 

Dh called him tonight and he said last Wednesday was the peak of his symptoms. He tested on Sunday. He has no symptoms now. I'm trying to figure things out.  Contagious for how long? What is the news on that? 

I'm really irritated with my mom, who is clueless and goes right up to my son's face to tell him BIL tested positive, knowing she spent all day with him. Then opens my daughter's door to tell her. So clueless. Mom is 72 and my husband has lowered immunity plus he's trying to heal a broken neck(2020! #$%@)

Any advice?

I think peak infectiousness is just before and in the first day of symptoms so hopefully he was less infectious by the Saturday and she didn’t get it.  It does mean that if your mum did pick it up she’s potentially infectious now though. I’m sorry about your mum.  I would put everyone on the vitamin protocol if you are going to do that and try to encourage your mum to mask, wash hands and isolate but realistically it doesn’t sound like that will happen much.  And do lots of surface cleaning yourself and open windows if the weather/situation allows for it.  How is testing where you are?  Are you able to get tested without symptoms based on contact with a known case?  

Edited by Ausmumof3

22 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think peak infectiousness is just before and in the first day of symptoms so hopefully he was less infectious by the Saturday and she didn’t get it.  It does mean that if your mum did pick it up she’s potentially infectious now though. I’m sorry about your mum.  I would put everyone on the vitamin protocol if you are going to do that and try to encourage your mum to mask, wash hands and isolate but realistically it doesn’t sound like that will happen much.  And do lots of surface cleaning yourself and open windows if the weather/situation allows for it.  How is testing where you are?  Are you able to get tested without symptoms based on contact with a known case?  

Thanks. If he had enough to test positive on Sunday I thought he would be contagious? So he was probably more contagious last week? 

Testing here is easy and abundant. No symptoms needed.

ETA: My mom is terrified of getting it. Not purposely reckless, just clueless. I want to say ditzy but that's not nice . . .

Edited by AbcdeDooDah
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Thanks. If he had enough to test positive on Sunday I thought he would be contagious? So he was probably more contagious last week? 

Testing here is easy and abundant. No symptoms needed.

ETA: My mom is terrified of getting it. Not purposely reckless, just clueless. I want to say ditzy but that's not nice . . .

Not necessarily, people will sometimes return a positive PCR test with viral fragments that aren’t infectious any more.  Really hoping that you all stay Covid free.

edited to add here in Aus we have had some people in quarantine test positive who were infected several months ago and believed to not be infectious any more.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, kand said:

I’m in the same boat. Last week I finally went to the dr’s appointment I’ve been putting off all year and yesterday my nose started feeling very mildly congested. It’s the first symptom of any kind of illness I’ve had since March. The only other place I’ve been in the past couple weeks is a quick trip to the grocery store right before close, with the store almost empty. The dr’s appointment made me very uneasy, though. Small room for a long time with no windows. But what are the chances after how careful I’ve been?! We don't go inside anywhere else and no one has been to our house.  Ugh. But it seems so mild to even think of testing, but I think I’ll email my dr in the morning. Ugh, ugh. Wish I hadn’t gone to that appointment. 

Could a flu shot cause mild nasal congestion 6-7 days later? Seems too long. But I like that idea much better. 

We came down with a couple of mild colds in the last couple of months after we started getting back to normal.  It could be Covid but could also be that it’s the first time your body has seen rhinovirus in a few months.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Pen said:

A person from NYC I know who got sick in February, never hospitalization level afaik, but a quite bad drawn out case,  has gotten better. 

As in they’ve been sick since Feb but just now recovered?  That seems hopeful for those with long Covid that eventually they will fully return to normal.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kand said:

Yeah, it just seems bizarre because we aren’t back to normal whatsoever. We’re just as locked down as we have been the whole time. I saw the doctor (while masked, but she had me briefly lower it to look at my tonsil), and I did one grocery store tripped (me and everyone else there masked and distanced the whole time). Otherwise I haven’t seen anyone outside my family. I even disinfect groceries still. If it’s a cold, I would expect it to get worse very soon. It’s super mild. My nose is usually horrible every time I get a cold. I’ll see what tomorrow brings. 

To be fair, if you picked up SOMETHING, it’s still not that likely to be COVID 😉 . One possible interpretation of positivity in places that mostly test sick people is “percentage of illnesses that are COVID,” so as you can see, it’s not most illnesses...

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

As in they’ve been sick since Feb but just now recovered?  That seems hopeful for those with long Covid that eventually they will fully return to normal.

Yes, I think it is hopeful.

Apparently after lots of ups and Downs they are feeling completely normal now and have been back to work and doing things with no symptoms relapse.  .  The recovery could be dated earlier back to when the time of doing things normally with no relapse began (1-2 months maybe?) . 

10 hours ago, kand said:

I’m in the same boat. Last week I finally went to the dr’s appointment I’ve been putting off all year and yesterday my nose started feeling very mildly congested. It’s the first symptom of any kind of illness I’ve had since March. The only other place I’ve been in the past couple weeks is a quick trip to the grocery store right before close, with the store almost empty. The dr’s appointment made me very uneasy, though. Small room for a long time with no windows. But what are the chances after how careful I’ve been?! We don't go inside anywhere else and no one has been to our house.  Ugh. But it seems so mild to even think of testing, but I think I’ll email my dr in the morning. Ugh, ugh. Wish I hadn’t gone to that appointment. 

Could a flu shot cause mild nasal congestion 6-7 days later? Seems too long. But I like that idea much better. 

I hope you feel better!   

I think contacting your doctor is a good idea. 

Antibodies from flu shot should be developing over a couple of weeks, so probably possible to have symptoms from the developing antibodies 6-7 days later. 

Also there could be other factors like dehydration, allergies etc that could cause congestion aside from either illness or flu shot .  

If illness, common cold may be more likely still than CV19. 

I would check sense of smell, temperature etc. 

My husband's friend, friend's wife, and daughter all have/had it. DH found out today. They think the wife picked it up at her crossfit gym. Ugh. Friend said, "these crossfit people think they are invincible" and they were doing classes indoors, unmasked. Both friend and wife are VERY healthy and fit, in their late 30s I think. And were knocked on their butts for weeks, and still don't feel well. Worst symptom has been fatigue - they are always tired a sleep all the time. He's back to doing some work, from home, but DH said the guy looked like crap on the video call. And again, this is a VERY fit guy who usually looks very put together. Thankfully their 10 yr old daughter recovered in a few days and is back to normal. 

• Sad 6

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

My husband's friend, friend's wife, and daughter all have/had it. DH found out today. They think the wife picked it up at her crossfit gym. Ugh. Friend said, "these crossfit people think they are invincible" and they were doing classes indoors, unmasked. Both friend and wife are VERY healthy and fit, in their late 30s I think. And were knocked on their butts for weeks, and still don't feel well. Worst symptom has been fatigue - they are always tired a sleep all the time. He's back to doing some work, from home, but DH said the guy looked like crap on the video call. And again, this is a VERY fit guy who usually looks very put together. Thankfully their 10 yr old daughter recovered in a few days and is back to normal. 

Yikes. Any idea how long they've been sick? 

Checked to see if the local baptist church was doing their pumpkin patch this year, and if so what time. Um...yeah they canceled due to 20 people connected with the church testing positive, including the pastor!

The closed all services for a few weeks, and now are back open, with no mask mandate despite it being mandating by the county. They encourage it, but don't mandate it and specifically say they would like you to wear a face covering when entering or exiting the building...took m a minute to get that. Yeah, they don't want people driving by SEEING that people are not wearing masks. Sigh. 

Tempted to screenshot that and send it to the health department or something. But given our Governor now made it illegal to impose fines or penalties of any kind for breaking mask mandates may not be a point. 

• Sad 6

8 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Checked to see if the local baptist church was doing their pumpkin patch this year, and if so what time. Um...yeah they canceled due to 20 people connected with the church testing positive, including the pastor!

The closed all services for a few weeks, and now are back open, with no mask mandate despite it being mandating by the county. They encourage it, but don't mandate it and specifically say they would like you to wear a face covering when entering or exiting the building...took m a minute to get that. Yeah, they don't want people driving by SEEING that people are not wearing masks. Sigh. 

Tempted to screenshot that and send it to the health department or something. But given our Governor now made it illegal to impose fines or penalties of any kind for breaking mask mandates may not be a point. 

Your governor is something else...

On 10/28/2020 at 10:33 AM, Frances said:

My SIL is now positive. My mom’s first Covid test was negative. They will retest if she develops symptoms. They are still waiting for more test results for her, but think it is likely C. diff. Unlike her recent hospital stay, she is not allowed visitors. Previously, one person could be there at a time. My young adult niece who took her to the ER and stayed with her through admitting yesterday is in quarantine because she still lives at home. She actually works at the hospital where my mom is. My SIL is a healthcare worker for the other hospital system there.

So the saga continues. The good news is my mom is still negative. She is being treated for C diff and could be released to a nursing home for rehab as soon as tomorrow, but they are having a difficult time finding a place that can both handle C diff isolation and has no Covid cases. They may send her several hours away. But no one will be allowed to visit anyway, so she’s resigned to that possibility.

Her apartment needs to be deep cleaned and sanitized before she can return to it after rehab. Normally, my brother’s family would handle it, but they are all in quarantine with two positive, active cases. She doesn’t even have a phone or iPad or change of clothes because no one can go to her apartment and get those things. So she asked me to see if her old cleaning person and friend from when she owned her home could do it. Turns out she is in quarantine herself because her partner and several relatives are positive. One young niece has been in the hospital for two weeks.

This is all happening in IA, MN, and WI, as my family lives or lived in the tristate area. But the commonality is a WI hotspot.

It looks like my niece from Japan will be flying home to help sometime early next month. She was supposed to be helping her Japanese grandma with dementia right now, after she finished her multi year teaching contract, but that didn’t work out. So she is actually relatively free right now and can travel back to Japan on her Japanese passport when my mom no longer needs help.

Edited by Frances
  • Sad 5

My best friend's daughter (late 20's) has it.  She probably got it at work because her boss was ill and several other workers are now ill.  Her five-year old son tested negative and hasn't had any apparent symptoms.  She said she felt like she felt feverish and tired for a couple of days--like a mild flu--and lost her sense of taste and smell--which has partially returned.